The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How important is your character’s appearance?

• IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Important
    Important enough that I only put about 6 hours into Oblivion. Those faces are awful.

I don't stray too far from a preset face that I like but I do make enough adjustments to be able to call it my own. I prefer not to wear helmets (or have them visible) because I do not like the idea of taking the time to get a good face and / or hairstyle only to cover it with a helmet.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Probably the main thing I care about in RPGs
    Edited by Vlad9425 on December 20, 2020 10:19PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Extremely important. I am very much into making characters whose look can tell you their story. If I can't find the right look to match, I do not like to play the character.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    Very important, but only to a point.

I play in first person, so I'm not looking at my characters constantly.

Do I want them to look good? Yes. Do I want the armor to look great? Yes. Do I want their mounts to look fantastic? Yes.

But because of the first person thing, if something isn't perfect, it doesn't break my game.
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    For me a character's outward appearance has to be fitting for whatever theme or combat & utility niche they fill on my roster. This gives me incentive to want to see them in various scenarios and action stances and is a factor when deciding which character I want to log into on any particular day. So a character who looks out of place doing whatever activities they're designed to do is likely not going to see much playtime.

Because of this I treat their first 15 levels as a sort of trial where I slowly level them through a combination of crafting writs and the undaunted delve daily while critiquing their appearance and playing with the outfit station. This can take a couple of weeks at least and if by the end of it I'm still looking forward to logging in on them and getting started on their build then they're a keeper, but if at any point it starts to feel like a chore I'll usually delete them and either start them over from creation or move away from their concept.

Though it's not really about, are they attractive to me, but rather, would they be attractive within their own society or culture. Because of this I actually enjoy creating characters from races that I don't find particularly attractive and have actually come up with some sort of head-cannon tropes I use. For one example, elvish ears, this is the feature that most sets them apart from the races of men so I feel ears that stand out, whether because they're large or extended outward, would be considered a symbol or good genetics and a source of pride within elvish culture. So my more upstanding high society type elf characters all have large and/or outward extended ears, while my more shady underbelly types have small to medium ears sometimes pinned back tightly. I'll also sometime go against type or combine types to denote a character who's position in society is less clear or in-flux. For example I have a female Orc stamblade, she's a Dark Cloak brawler-blade who uses DW/2h, not the strongest build so I wanted to give her the look of an underdog but proud warrior attempting to rise above her born status. So her ears are as small as they would go but also as outward as they would go, which actually gives her this really cute floppy eared puppy dog look, but the intention was to show that her status among her people was to be defined by her actions (meaning how well the build turned out) rather than by birthright.

And that's just one little detail that's barely noticeable on one character, so yeah you could say I put a lot of thought into appearance for each character.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    While it is very important to me I think I have a broader view on this than the OP does. That is fine as we are all entitled to our own views on this.
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I have spent hundreds of dollars tweaking my 18 Breton Females.

This is the most important aspect of the game to me.
    That's it, that's all.
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    duh. obvious

Eh I’ve played long enough to see people who don’t care and to talk to people who only care about their numbers compared to appearance.

whatsu talk about? obviously i ment that if im willing to play my character for a looong time then i want to see some good looking character who i have made for hours and not a char who i have random generated, then i said,. *this is fine*. i just cannot do that. all of my characters in every game are well made ones. so they are bot just good looking but strong by the numbers and powers >_>
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In between neutral and important. I like if it's nice looking, but I don't consider it important at all.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Really important to the way I think about my characters and character investment in their story and persona. I think the orcs in Eso look great personally but I started playing Oblivion again and damn they are ugly in that.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Stovahkiin wrote: »
    Very important. I’ve deleted an absurd amount of characters in this game just because they didn’t feel quite “right” to me.

I’m glad I’m not alone. Currently trying to make a stamsorc but can’t get past the character creation screen. I’ve tried orc, khajit, and for kicks an Argonian but nothing is jumping out.

Mines an Imperial, looks OK.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not important
    I care what bosses look like because I watch them much more than myself .
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Absolutely essential. I don't spend hours in the creator just to have ugly characters or to hide my face behind a helmet all the time.

You can't save Nirn if you ain't cute.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    It is so important to me that I would rather not play the game at allthan to play with a character who's look I dislike. Like I would genuinely uninstall if my sorc couldn't be a high elf.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 21, 2020 1:51AM
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Important
    I at least try to match stuff and be somewhat presentable, but I'm not looking to be the bomb diggity of sexiness
  • Synthwavius
    Synthwavius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Very important. I'd rather play a magplar Redguard with lame sustain than with ugly altmer
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Very important.

This is an RPG, and the most important part of the game is creating and developing individualized characters and concepts. So finding aesthetics that fit the character is paramount.

It is so important, in fact, that before I starting collecting motifs and style pages, I would choose my character's gear based on appearance, and now the main objective I have in game is to collect motifs and style pages to change the appearance around the gear.

And outside of the appearance, the gear is chosen to fit into the concept of the character as well.
  • degarmo
    degarmo
    Soul Shriven
    Very important
    I definitely prefer my character to have an appearance.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    I bought an appearance change token to adjust my main's waist and bum.

(I know what you're thinking, but it's a male toon!)
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Very important
    Eso has a pretty comprehensive outfit system, it would be a waste not to take advantage of it. :)
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    I'd like to say "very" but we don't have that many options here so I stick to it's important, but not as much as my characters' names
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Long time ago, (before outfit system was introduced, and before dungeon set motif styles were introduced), I bought Shadow of the hist dlc, and started farming Mazzatun, just for Mazzatun gear set armors for my argonian character. Stats of those sets were not important. Fashion was... :D:joy:
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Personalities over Looks any day but its still very important
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • RodneyRegis
    RodneyRegis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    My Stamplar is the character I'm trying to push for DPS and DLC trials. She's an Imperial. I can't bring myself to make her an orc.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    Id say it is massively important. I have spent and still spend inordinate amounts of ESO time on outfitting my characters (18). Many of these have multiple outfit slots as well.

Everything is taken into consideration, mount, pet, armor sets, skins, weapons, hair, colours etc.

I take pride in my character aesthetics. Id like to post to the outfit mega thread but its a right pain getting pics from PS4+ to PC online.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Important
    It's important but not everything. ESO has a good character generator and it's fun for me to create subtly comedic characters in appearance and/or name, though most of the female characters I create wind up looking girls I'd want to date. I wouldn't spend real money on appearance though it's obvious this is how most games make so much money.

Actually, the goofy cartoonish nature of WoW is one of the reasons I've never played it.
  • GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    b4439b47-f36a-4558-b9a9-62513e0b32fc.jpg
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very important
    I might like ESO’s orcs better if they felt more unique. For example, all their hairstyle choices are the same as humans/elves. Just seems odd they don’t have a couple specific race hair styles to choose from like Khajit/Argonian do. Also, it would be nice if we could edit their tusks/mouths more. Why does my mouth have to be open? I don’t want to be a mouth breather.

You could make your Orc look fierce in Skyrim. ESO make orcs walking around looking like they are missing half their brain and are constipated.

Why would they have unique hairstyles? They got the same headshape as other mer and man.

And if you can't make your orc look fierce in ESO, then you aren't trying.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • belfong
    belfong
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Very important to me too. I have two Outfit Stations in my house, one outdoor in the courtyard and another one indoor beside a brazier. I need to look good both outdoor and indoor in different lightning condition.
    Edited by belfong on December 21, 2020 1:24PM
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very important
    Always a high priority for me. All my characters are outfitted to the max to what I think looks best. #fashionscrolls B)