The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

15% or so increased PVE Tank incoming damage intended?

delkurz
delkurz
I wanted to check that the increased damage PVE tanks will be taking in U28 is intended. The changes to minor maim and minor protection represent a 15.4% increase in PVE tank incoming damage which seems like a big jump. Some other changes help/hurt some depending on the change but the maim and protection changes are pretty significant to PVE tanks.

Maths - lots of other mitigation is involved but isolating the maim and protection part below

Live:
minor maim lets 85% of the damage through
minor protection lets 92% of the damage through
With both up they let through 0.85*0.92 = 78.2% of the damage

PTS:
minor maim lets 95% of the damage through
minor protection letys 95% of the damage through
with both up they let through 0.95*0.95 = 90.25% of the damage

So onlive you would take 78.2 damage out of 100 (post all other mitigation)
While on PTS you take 90.25 damage out of 100 (post all other mitigation)

90.25 PTS versus 78.2 Live represents a 15.4% increase in damage taken moving from live to PTS.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanking is too easy and boring, that's why theres not enough of them. And tanks are not needed for most content, including vets.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »
    Tanking is too easy and boring, that's why theres not enough of them. And tanks are not needed for most content, including vets.

You run with too many good players. Average players need all the help they can get, especially in vets.
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minor and Major Resolve/Ward got a buff, don't forget.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of tanks. I have never had an issue finding a tank when I wanted one. Most of them are not willing to deal with GF players.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @delkurz

I think the math being used here is in a vacuum and as such is missing a lot of very pertinent calculations which is likely leading to inaccurate results. Since I am not wanting to hurt my brain with thinking right now I will tag @paulsimonps who is the foremost expert on the forums of damage mitigation.

You can also view his thread on damage mitigation below. It is updated for live, not PTS, but the formulas are still appropriate for both.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-15-07-2019/p1
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    There will be quite relliable source of major maim, so those changes won't be so dramatic if you actually need such reductions
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing special, this happens everytime.
    1. Badly nerf old things,
    2. Provide viable replacement but acquirable only in new DLC,
    3. Profit.

Void Bash will make up for most of the mitigation lost. And in encounters where you need huge mitigation (e.g. hard mode Lord Falgravn, hard mode Nahviintas ...) off tanks usualy don't have special role so they can reliably keep Major Maim for you.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVE is quiet EZ if you have a fixed group or in a PVE guild .

PUG is pretty hard especially you like to PUG VET DLC .
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing special, this happens everytime.
    1. Badly nerf old things,
    2. Provide viable replacement but acquirable only in new DLC,
    3. Profit.

Void Bash will make up for most of the mitigation lost. And in encounters where you need huge mitigation (e.g. hard mode Lord Falgravn, hard mode Nahviintas ...) off tanks usualy don't have special role so they can reliably keep Major Maim for you.

Just maybe, we'll see more sorc tanks next patch :)
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My Current Set up with 5-1-1 armor, Yolna Alkosh with nothing other than Defensive stance being able to be considered adding to mitigation out of the current norm.

Live

My resistance= 27187 aka 41.19%
    Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 15%
    Minor Protection = 8%
    Minor Aegis = 5%
    Elemental Defender/Hardy = 12%
    Ironclad/Thick Skin = 21%

Total 0.5881*0.8*0.9*0.5*0.9*0.85*0.92*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.098 aka 90.2% Total mitigation

PTS

My resistance = 27187 aka 41.19%
    Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 5%
    Minor Protection = 5%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Total 0.5881*0.8*0.9*0.5*0.9*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.1135 aka 88.65% total mitigation.

So we got a difference in 1.55% total damage mitigation from those numbers as a basically meta tank(obviously it varies). But I see no problems for tanks with these changes at all. Now in PvP or the DPS and healers and in PvE might feel a pretty more significant difference from this but not the tanks. I mean in PvP some use Minor Maim as one of their main sources of mitigation and they don't get as many as us tanks so will probably hurt them far more than us.

But again, tanks, don't worry.

Oh and I did not account for the changes in resistance as Resolve is getting a slight buff as well. but it would not change this much at all, just close the gap slightly more.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Paul.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My Current Set up with 5-1-1 armor, Yolna Alkosh with nothing other than Defensive stance being able to be considered adding to mitigation out of the current norm.

Live

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 15%
    Minor Protection = 8%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Total 0.5881*0.8*0.9*0.5*0.9*0.85*0.92*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.098 aka 90.2% Total mitigation

PTS

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 5%
    Minor Protection = 5%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Total 0.5881*0.8*0.9*0.5*0.9*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.1135 aka 88.65% total mitigation.

So we got a difference in 1.55% total damage mitigation from those numbers as a basically meta tank(obviously it varies). But I see no problems for tanks with these changes at all. Now in PvP or the DPS and healers and in PvE might feel a pretty more significant difference from this but not the tanks. I mean in PvP some use Minor Maim as one of their main sources of mitigation and they don't get as many as us tanks so will probably hurt them far more than us.

Oh and I did not account for the changes in resistance as Resolve is getting a slight buff as well. but it would not change this much at all, just close the gap slightly more.

Tanks won't be affected much but it's the group who will suffer the most from Minor Maim changes.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Live

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 15%
    Minor Protection = 8%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

PTS

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 5%
    Minor Protection = 5%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Tanks won't be affected much but it's the group who will suffer the most from Minor Maim changes.

Which is what I said.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    So on the PTS, for every 100 points of incoming damage they take 11.35 points of damage, which is a 15.8% larger number than the 9.8 points of damage they take on live.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So "unoptimized" groups will get punished more than "optimized" groups, the opposite of the Dev Comments on the change.

But they clearly stated that they wanted to increase damage taken and reduce damage done. So yes. Intended.
    Edited by katorga on October 23, 2020 1:21PM
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    They added some damage-taken reduction back into the game with changes to minor/major cowardice.

You can debuff targets with up to 645 reduced spell/weapon damage, but it involves running a set, or a poison, or a skill that reduces DPS.

They also removed the unique debuffs from those things, but I don't think a lot of people were using them.
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on October 23, 2020 2:02PM
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    So "unoptimized" groups will get punished more than "optimized" groups, the opposite of the Dev Comments on the change.

But they clearly stated that they wanted to increase damage taken and reduce damage done. So yes. Intended.

It's not uncommon for them to implement changes that have the opposite result than what they intended.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• delkurz
    delkurz

Live

PTS

So we got a difference in 1.55% total damage mitigation from those numbers as a basically meta tank

Yes, 1.55% more absolute damage, which when starting at 9.8% damage taken, as @MudcrabAttack mentioned, is a ~15% increase in damage taken from live to PTS. If you take X damage on live, you will take about X*1.15 on U28 based on all the above.

• YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It appears to me as though ZOS is giving the people what they have asked for.

Healers have long felt (and have been in fact) superfluous for experienced dungeon runners and with these changes returning more damage to the group via the nerfed m/M Maims, more damage is being dealt to players which will necessitate stronger healing which will (potentially) necessitate an actual healer.

In other words, this is sort of achieving "Make PvE bosses do more damage (so that healers are needed)" by another means - nerfing mitigation rather than actually increasing raw boss damage.

Personally, I like the ideal of tanks having to build for survivability and healers focusing on healing, doing more of their on paper role rather than being relegated to "buff bots." Elite groups will, as usual, likely side-step these changes, but hopefully ZOS will get around to changing things for them with more targeted nerfs.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are other factors to consider.

Resistances got a buff, penetration got a huge buff (which increases DPS and reduces encounter times), sustain got a buff. Plus, Ice Staff is now a very good option which is an improvement over Lightning Staves.

I'm pretty sure that this will be a net gain for tanks when all the variables are factored in the full equation for next patch.

Let's see, though. "Tooltip Theorycrafting" rarely works.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    katorga wrote: »

It's not uncommon for them to implement changes that have the opposite result than what they intended.

Lol... This is so true it hurts to admit...
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Healers have long felt (and have been in fact) superfluous for experienced dungeon runners and with these changes returning more damage to the group via the nerfed m/M Maims, more damage is being dealt to players which will necessitate stronger healing which will (potentially) necessitate an actual healer.

In other words, this is sort of achieving "Make PvE bosses do more damage (so that healers are needed)" by another means - nerfing mitigation rather than actually increasing raw boss damage.

Personally, I like the ideal of tanks having to build for survivability and healers focusing on healing, doing more of their on paper role rather than being relegated to "buff bots." Elite groups will, as usual, likely side-step these changes, but hopefully ZOS will get around to changing things for them with more targeted nerfs.

Yes. One of the reasons healers are not needed is that mechanics are usually black or white: either irrelevant or one-shots.

Increasing overall damage by a small amount is, IMO, the right way to make healers needed again.

Make that DOT just 10% more than a DPS can safely out-heal, and you need an extra heal boost.

Very nice observation!
    Edited by Calm_Fury on October 24, 2020 12:47AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    delkurz wrote: »

Live

PTS

So we got a difference in 1.55% total damage mitigation from those numbers as a basically meta tank

Yes, 1.55% more absolute damage, which when starting at 9.8% damage taken, as @MudcrabAttack mentioned, is a ~15% increase in damage taken from live to PTS. If you take X damage on live, you will take about X*1.15 on U28 based on all the above.

Which for tanks is basically nothing. Again, will only affect the non tank roles and PvP. I'm also gonna assume that this change was done to again limit damage done in Trials. What I think they might be trying is to make us take more damage again, via lowered mitigation, but we have seen time again that more damage taken has not change player behavior to incorporate more defensive styles, rather the opposite is more likely to happen as people will try to push past said mechanics.
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget about Mending and Vitality nerfs
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

Yes. One of the reasons healers are not needed is that mechanics are usually black or white: either irrelevant or one-shots.

Increasing overall damage by a small amount is, IMO, the right way to make healers needed again.

Make that DOT just 10% more than a DPS can safely out-heal, and you need an extra heal boost.

Very nice observation!

Why they reworked Banis Torment, significantly increased uptime on Vrol Command or introduced Void Bash then?

Just by using Void Bash (a 2-piece set easily combined with Powerful Assault without losing Monster set) you can get to +- same group mitigation level as before patch. This still seems to me just another Iceheart/M.Ciannait change rather than effort to make healers relevant.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on October 24, 2020 7:10AM
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

Very nice observation!

Why they reworked Banis Torment, significantly increased uptime on Vrol Command or introduced Void Bash then?

Just by using Void Bash (a 2-piece set easily combined with Powerful Assault without losing Monster set) you can get to +- same group mitigation level as before patch. This still seems to me just another Iceheart/M.Ciannait change rather than effort to make healers relevant.

We're not saying that they did made that change to make healers relevant. We're just saying that it might be one way to do it.

And you answered your own question: by using Void Bash (a 2 piece set). Having to use another set to get this is not nothing. Most groups will avoid having to do this at all costs.

I could also say "just drop Ebon / Alkosh" and use "Fortified Brass / Lord Warden". That is not a "small" change.

I don't think this is to make healers relevant or will make healers relevant. I just think that this would be ONE way to do it if they ever wanted that.

Most likely Minor Brittle and other changes to sustain will make damage increase once again in the final result and mechanics will just be skipped instead of healed or resisted through.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really worried about change with my Tank.
    I even play it vampire 4 and all is fine so..
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭

Live

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 15%
    Minor Protection = 8%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

PTS

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 5%
    Minor Protection = 5%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Block bonuses (SnB, defensive stance, iron skin, bound aegis, footman set) stack additively. If you have SnB, iron skin, defensive stance 20%+10%+10% its flat 40% bonus mitigation instead of 0,8*0,9*0,9=35,2%.

LIVE: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.85*0.92*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.0911 aka 90.89% total mitigation
    PTS: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.1052 aka 89.48% total mitigation
    The difference between 90,89% and 89,48% is 15,47% dmg taken

Now if you add major maim which will be much easier to get
    PTS: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79*0.9=0.0946 aka 90.54% total mitigation
    The difference between 90,89% and 90,54% is 3,84% dmg taken

Now if you add armor bonus from buffed resolve as you mentioned, the difference will be even less

EDIT: now I've realised you've made dmg mitigation guide I've been using whole time, sorry mate :D
    Edited by Saubon on October 26, 2020 8:10AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saubon wrote: »

Live

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 15%
    Minor Protection = 8%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

PTS

Sword and Board = 20%
    DK's Iron Skin = 10%
    Blocking = 50%
    Defensive Stance = 10%
    Minor Maim = 5%
    Minor Protection = 5%
    Minor Aegis = 5%

Block bonuses (SnB, defensive stance, iron skin, bound aegis, footman set) stack additively. If you have SnB, iron skin, defensive stance 20%+10%+10% its flat 40% bonus mitigation instead of 0,8*0,9*0,9=35,2%.

LIVE: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.85*0.92*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.0911 aka 90.89% total mitigation
    PTS: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79=0.1052 aka 89.48% total mitigation
    The difference between 90,89% and 89,48% is 15,47% dmg taken

Now if you add major maim which will be much easier to get
    PTS: Total 0.5881*0.6*0.5*0.95*0.95*0.95*0.88*0.79*0.9=0.0946 aka 90.54% total mitigation
    The difference between 90,89% and 90,54% is 3,84% dmg taken

Now if you add armor bonus from buffed resolve as you mentioned, the difference will be even less

EDIT: now I've realised you've made dmg mitigation guide I've been using whole time, sorry mate :D

you are right though that I made a mistake and used the old formula LOL. I was lacking sleep writing that one, thats my official excuse for messing up my own fricking formula :tongue: Though the effect of the changes still stay the same, mostly gonna effect DPS and PvP players, though don't think its actually gonna change anyone's set up or team comp
    Edited by paulsimonps on October 26, 2020 11:59AM
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are not enough of them because of people like this.

Do you try to tank some thing, may be normal FG ?

May be nFG is really easy, but not with DD who kill it for ages.
    Edited by AyaDark on October 26, 2020 2:48PM