The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 28 - Feedback Thread for Combat & Classes

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for any combat or class change. After you have a chance to try out different combat scenarios, let us know what you think of the current balance and changes.
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on September 21, 2020 7:09PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the requirements for Rapid Maneuver be lowered so that it can be used by all the characters that had it previous to Stonethorn?
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
    Options
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Elemental Ring just be turned into a cloak skill instead? Pulsar is already an immediate cast, so Elemental Ring could have basically the same abilities, but centered around yourself. Fire could be like a mini Grothdarr, shock could be similar to boundless storm, and frost could keep the defensive properties while also being similar to northern storm, just with a smaller radius.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
    Options
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RE: Stamina Warden Shalks (Subterranean Assault)

Having parsed a few times now;
    • This change feels completely uninspired from top to bottom. It fails to address the biggest pains of Stamina Warden in any meaningful way. This feels like a PVP change exclusively to take away fracture, with no earthly idea how to add anything meaningful back to PVE.
    • This takes an already clunky as hell rotation thanks to the awful birds change some patches ago, and adds 200% more clunk. Now you have to remember, after god knows how many patches, that your sub isn't every 3 skills, it's every 6. No one asked for this. Yes, we gain a global. It also wrecks sustain even harder, as Shalks is our cheapest "spammable" and birds is overpriced for what it does outside of Off-Balance.
    • This change fails to address the lack of group utility Stamden has. It's their central pain. We bring nothing to a group outside of *** poor damage, and this change fails to resolve either of those issues. It won't be a meaningful DPS gain, as it's simply gaining a global every 3s at the cost of sustain.
    • I continue to feel as though no one in the actual dev/balance team has any idea how Stamden works, what makes them interesting/compelling to the player, and why they are such a meme in PVE. We finally get a change, and this...this is it? This is what we waited so long for? It's heartbreaking, disappointing and just pitiful.
    • A much, much more meaningful change would have been to cap bird bleed stacks and unchain them from Off-Balance. It would have provided consistent, reliable damage for Stamden that doesn't crack our sustain in the skull even more, and give us a reason to slot birds again over Wrecking Blow.

I don't mean to be an ass, but unless you're willing to listen to people that actually play the class in PVE, just delete it.
    Options
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    with the further nerfs to major berserk, could we look at something like sorc atro applying berserk to a number of people similar to other sources of major buffs?
    Options
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed by the Minor Magicsteal change. Will it even be worth applying anymore?

I get that 168 per second is effectively 336 magicka recovery which is the same as 2.6 set bonuses... but it's also not. Every Magicka character should have at least 20% from LA Passive, 14% from CP, and an assortment of possible things from Class, Mage Guild, and Support Passives/abilities. So as a baseline, every magicka character should have a 34% bonus minimum which applies to all magicka recovery but not magicsteal. This sets the base recovery from a set bonus to 173 with most characters getting even more out of it. A sorcerer with 7 LA and Meteor slotted would have at least a 54% bonus for a single set bonus being equal to 199 recovery.

I know its a difficult balancing act... but none of the other named buffs or debuffs are as effected by so many static passive bonuses on characters, and they complement eachother when stacked. Major and Minor Intellect don't effect magicsteal at all.

I also notice that lifesteal is missing from the rebalance list. Possibly because they realize that bringing it down to the same level would trivialize it.

Lifesteal and Magicsteal are unique buffs/debuffs in that they don't effect player or monster stats in the same way other buffs/debuffs do and maybe they should both just be left alone for this balance cycle. Neither of them are overtuned right now in my opinion.
    Options
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield

Blazing Shield (morph): Fixed an issue where this ability’s explosion visuals would multiply in intensity with the number of enemies hit, causing your screen to experience level 7 earthquakes and your eyes to be blinded with the brilliance of Meridia. The explosions will now always appear as well, regardless if you dealt damage.

Graphics fix to a useless skill means that the skill is still useless.

I did not even know this was a thing, and I doubt most Templar players did either. There is no reason to slot the skill, so we never found out that it was glitched.

As I was reading through the notes, and saw that Sun Shield header come up, I momentarily got excited, that maybe the skill is not gonna be useless going forth, but... Yeah it's still useless. I have no idea what the that glitch got fixed looked, since I can't even remember when I last used it, or saw someone use it.

Also... Funny patch notes are cute and all, but Meridia is a daedric prince, not one of the Aedra. And this is a skill from the Aedric Spear tree. The Sun is essentially an aedric creation caused by Magnus. I can't seem to recall any of the aedra to be directly associated with light or radiance. It's just more of a general aedric trait I suppose, rather than a specific attribute of any particular divine being. Thus the notes should've said something about the "brilliance of Magnus", though that doesn't really sound right either.

But seriously though, make the skill worth slotting, m'kay?
    Options
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone able to post what PotL looks like now since Minor Fracture is gone and Minor Breach, unlike Major Breach, doesn't say it applies to both physical and spell in the patch notes?
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many excellent points being made in here already but I'll go for the lowest of the low-hanging fruit: for the zillionth PTS in a row the Magicka Blastbones morph is still broken and the devs apparently do not care.

"Berserk" should probably also be re-named to something less dramatic because 5% and 10% more damage dealt (really, ~3.5% and 7% due to its scaling) barely moves the needle any longer. You'll take it in PvE because hey, more damage, but in PvP it's no longer worth the opportunity cost and you can likely get better results by simply stacking into traditional damage stats.

As @Apox noted, Atronach really becomes a sub-standard synergy and this change should amplify calls to make the buff apply to more than one group member per activation. The change also immediately dumpstered sets like Heem-Jas and Slimecraw.
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "Reduced the damage from all ranged Light and Medium Attacks by 10% to ensure they meet ranged damage standards. Heavy Attacks already meet these standards."

Light Attack Weaving was an unintended mechanic that was allowed -- and the numbers from Light Attack Weaving got to out of control levels.
    Instead of trimming it or trying to tweak it now and again, and making all sorts of changes elsewhere constantly to bring numbers down to your "damage standards", how about just starting by removing Light Attack Weaving altogether? Recognize that it should have never been allowed.

And players who don't use the unintentional unintuitive exploiting-your-programming of animation cancelling in light attack weaving get penalized by this change.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on September 22, 2020 12:23AM
    Options
  • Czekoludek
    Czekoludek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berserk, Slayer and Vuln looks like they need a small buffs. Maybe 15% instead of 10? Major Berserk with 10% is completely not worth it, shouldn't it suppose to be big buff that increase dps for short period of time?

Also sustain with new drain is horrible for solo player. Please reconsider this, magicka characters like dk already have sustain issues, drain change is not good at all.
    Options
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mag dps got shafted again as usual.
    Options
  • Skjaldbjorn
    Skjaldbjorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    And players who don't use the unintentional unintuitive exploiting-your-programming of animation cancelling in light attack weaving get penalized by this change.

@Dusk_Coven Actually, i'd say LA weaving is probably one of the most intuitive aspects of ESO's combat when the servers aren't dying. Having come from a litany of games, including 15+ years in MMOs like WoW and EQ that had no animation cancelling, I had to sit in front of a dummy for days to figure out how the combat worked. Now, I love it. Properly LA weaving feels really good and is extremely rewarding.
    Edited by Skjaldbjorn on September 22, 2020 12:47AM
    Options
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭

@Dusk_Coven Actually, i'd say LA weaving is probably one of the most intuitive aspects of ESO's combat when the servers aren't dying. Having come from a litany of games, including 15+ years in MMOs like WoW and EQ that had no animation cancelling, I had to sit in front of a dummy for days to figure out how the combat worked. Now, I love it. Properly LA weaving feels really good and is extremely rewarding.

But that doesn't mean it's not unintuitive. There's absolutely nothing while playing or leveling that reinforces its behavior. It's an entirely foreign experience until you sit down and parse on a dummy. But it's a polarizing issue and one they clearly have no way of changing.
    Options
  • ParaViking
    ParaViking
    ✭✭✭
    Vampire?.. Anyone... hello... ... .. ECHO... Echo... echo...
    Options
  • Corellon Thromorin
    Corellon Thromorin
    ✭✭✭

Well... Servers are more often dying than not.
    Options
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nvm, wrong thread :)
    Edited by vgabor on September 22, 2020 1:46AM
    Options
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer /

Frozen Colossus:

-Removed this Ultimate and the morph's Major Vulnerability invulnerability.
    -Increased the duration of Major Vulnerability applied from these to 12 seconds per hit, up from 8. This will increase the total duration to 15 seconds per cast.

So.. Necro meta again ? Or Am I missing something ?
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

Options
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    Necromancer /

Frozen Colossus:

-Increased the duration of Major Vulnerability applied from these to 12 seconds per hit, up from 8. This will increase the total duration to 15 seconds per cast.

Hard to tell. Major Vulnerability was nerfed heavily so the question now becomes is it worth stacking Necros, who themselves aren't top tier DPS, just to boost the group's DPS by 10% for 15 seconds per Necro? On the flip side, if Stam comes back in style, Stam Necros are top tier damage so an all Necro stam raid is in the cards.

But for Mag Necros, this is bad news and one of many nerfs the class has gotten and couldn't afford any of them.

We're now 8 months into Stalking Blast Bones being worthless, which is the primary burst skill available to Mag Necromancers. We saw Harmony nerfed last patch, the only other means of burst available to the class, with nothing done to improve Mag Necromancers. Now we're seeing Minor Maim, Major Vuln and Major Protection, 2 rather important skills for PvP for Mag Necros, also nerfed. All for a class that is undeniably the worst Mag in the game by a considerable margin. And still no word from ZOS with even a hint as to the direction they're trying to take the class or how much longer Mag Necromancers will need to put up with mediocrity.

Edited by Atherakhia on September 22, 2020 3:24AM
    Options
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving the frost staff changes. Shields for everyone on blockade and a shield for myself on heavy attack? Yes, please :D Also, the frost safeguard shield animation might be the best thing in this entire DLC.

Umm, please keep the blockade shields as "allies" instead of "group members" only. Awesome, thanks :relieved:
    Options
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc

Greater storm atro doesn't appear when cast.
    AOE appears where you target it and it makes the slam sound effect, but no atro appears.

Only tested this in my house so far.
    Only tested on greater storm atro morph.
    Options
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's going on with DPS?

I'm seeing a huge dps loss from live. granted my atro isn't working, but even with that aside everyone in my guild is showing large dps losses.

I've gone from 90k to 80k. That's more than I would think 4.5% crit and 10% light attack damage should account for...

Anyone else seeing this?

Live parse (pre precise nerf)
    unknown.png

pts parse
    unknown.png
    Edited by Tannus15 on September 22, 2020 4:02AM
    Options
  • Ingram
    Ingram
    ✭✭
    Having played Stam Warden for years now and I don't see why now was the time to change Sub assault and get rid of major fracture. Agreeing with what Skjaldbjorn said that these changes feel uninspired and don't really help the class in any meaningful way. Sub assault needs major breach as much as Deep Fissure needs it if you want to condense the debuff into a combo that is fine but don't get rid of it for only the stamina morph. If you wanted to get rid of the major breach then bring back the stun for the stamina morph as right now it is point less in pvp and pve. Again Skjaldborn already mentioned how it was stamina warden's cheapest spammable so making cheaper doesn't really add anything more. This will kill how Stam Warden's are in pvp as the major fracture was honestly the biggest reason the class works at all in pvp. I know this post is getting long and ranty but instead of changing one of the few good tools warden's have and taking away utility how about try improving the skill's that hardly see use like making the animation on the bird better for parsing or overhauling the bear Ai for pvp things that warden players have been begging for ever to be changed.
    Options
  • dhoward5b14_ESO
    dhoward5b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Maim changes and Heroic Slash:

It appears that boss damage will effectively be going up 10% without using currently unused sets to apply major maim (or Shadowrend with it's unique 5% debuff). This is because Heroic Slash used to maim for 15% but now will only maim 5%. Obviously this is 10% more damage on the tank - usually not a problem.

In fights where group deaths from burst damage is a real problem (e.g. 1st boss vMoL shield phase), this would require some mitigation. Tanks could forgo a damage set for a maim set (I believe only Banis will give almost full maim uptime, and it must be on whoever is taunting the boss). I'm not sure that shield sets would be that effective (Combat physician would be very RNG on when it has proc'd, and Prayer Shawl isn't useful in large groups). Healers could use Mending (if they can be close to boss).

Options
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Reduced the damage from all ranged Light and Medium Attacks by 10% to ensure they meet ranged damage standards. Heavy Attacks already meet these standards."

Light Attack Weaving was an unintended mechanic that was allowed -- and the numbers from Light Attack Weaving got to out of control levels.
    Instead of trimming it or trying to tweak it now and again, and making all sorts of changes elsewhere constantly to bring numbers down to your "damage standards", how about just starting by removing Light Attack Weaving altogether? Recognize that it should have never been allowed.

Great point, I admit I am biased as I have arthritis and can't physically do it as well as other but I have been saying for a long time that 'animation cancelling' was an obvious exploit even though a lot of PVPer and 'elite' PVErs who are obsessed with DPS think this is some amazing skill they spent long hours to develop. For PVE it isn't that bad but for PVP, where a light attack can do as much or more damage than an actual skill that is supposed to have a 1 second animation but both happen each second has always been silly. So these changes are a good sign.
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It feels OP that necromancers spirit guardian pet has the same dmg reduction as major protection, but also stacks with major protection..

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • IrishOphidia
    IrishOphidia
    ✭✭✭

The only people who complain about LA weaving are the people who don't know how to do it properly. LA weaving does nothing to "break the game" or give an sort of unfair advantage. Players who put the time and effort in to learn this mechanic will benefit from it. Those who do not will not. It's a simple concept. If you were to remove LA weaving, the combat system would essentially face plant. You'd go from having a smooth uninterrupted flow of combat that feels interactive to a clunky, unimpressive, and slow combat system. ESO became popular in the first place due to its fast paced and active combat system.
    Options
  • IrishOphidia
    IrishOphidia
    ✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »
    Necromancer /

Frozen Colossus:

Hard to tell. Major Vulnerability was nerfed heavily so the question now becomes is it worth stacking Necros, who themselves aren't top tier DPS, just to boost the group's DPS by 10% for 15 seconds per Necro? On the flip side, if Stam comes back in style, Stam Necros are top tier damage so an all Necro stam raid is in the cards.

But for Mag Necros, this is bad news and one of many nerfs the class has gotten and couldn't afford any of them.

We're now 8 months into Stalking Blast Bones being worthless, which is the primary burst skill available to Mag Necromancers. We saw Harmony nerfed last patch, the only other means of burst available to the class, with nothing done to improve Mag Necromancers. Now we're seeing Minor Maim, Major Vuln and Major Protection, 2 rather important skills for PvP for Mag Necros, also nerfed. All for a class that is undeniably the worst Mag in the game by a considerable margin. And still no word from ZOS with even a hint as to the direction they're trying to take the class or how much longer Mag Necromancers will need to put up with mediocrity.

Would have to disagree since Magcros are averaging 90-95k DPS on a static trial dummy parse and well over 100k in raids.
    Options
  • Xairvaiss
    Xairvaiss
    ✭✭✭
    Necromancer /

Frozen Colossus:

I don't think so, cause now MV debuff stay for 15 secs. 1 necro regens an ulti in +/- 1 minute.
    60 / 15 = 4 necro in group needed to have 100% group dps buff
    Edited by Xairvaiss on September 22, 2020 7:50AM
    Options
  • Meldor_Greenwood
    Can you buff Nightblades Mark? Now that you removed its dual resistance debuff and for Reaper’s Mark nerfed Major berserk significantly. Maybe finally add a synergy to a Nightblade skill?
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, will khajiit get some kind of recompense since the crit chance nerf affects them more than any other race?

PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options