The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Overperforming sets in PvP

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess yall don't slot Purge or have a skill that purges or a set that purges? I mean your kinda playing Russian Roulette going into pvp without some type of purge.....

The only true argument is the fact that those sets can be placed on multiple targets if each target is targeted because it is a single target ability that procs it.

stamDK here.

which skill u recommend?

although, it's not like I'm constantly dying because of DoTs...

also, Venom Smite works very well even without Malacath.... both in Cyro and IC. I'd love to try Sheer Venom but never got a chance to farm it.............
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
    Options
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thews of the Harbinger: rather lame and deskilling to use but still annoying to play against if you cannot avoid/ignore the player
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    y'know, its great to see there are actually MANY of these overperforming sets, rather than 1 or 2 that quickly becomes meta.....

flavors.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    y'know, its great to see there are actually MANY of these overperforming sets, rather than 1 or 2 that quickly becomes meta.....

flavors.
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Unleashed Terror

Malacath's Band of Brutality

How broken is Unleashed?
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lagg is still overperforming over anything, these aoe tests has fixed nothing.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engine guardian still being line of sight just proves that there is ZERO attention payed to PvP and what makes a enjoyable experience.

Venomous smite, it's so obviously made for entry level players to be able to do damage to people who know how to block or roll the damage is way higher than it should be, this set heralded the end of PvP being fun in no CP.

(sheer venom,oblivions foe, pillar of nirn, caluurions, flame blossom, red mountain are all to strong for being a free damage proc and need minor nerfs)

CP PvP is kind of a joke people are way to tanky I don't actually have the patience to deal with 15 minute fights with stambuilds that line of sight every 5 seconds, it's very much the same thing over and over and just takes to long for how little fun it is. At least the sets are actually tuned for it better and it's just the skills that are making it garbo

Options
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malacath. Encourages the tankiest of tanks
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Let's start some:

Sheer venom

Venomous Smite

Draugr's kin <---Zenimax, what the fishstick is this?

That venom crap is everywhere now. But if you think that's bad just wait until you get a taste of Orphan of Kos. That makes those Venom sets look like love taps.
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    precambria wrote: »
    Engine guardian still being line of sight just proves that there is ZERO attention payed to PvP and what makes a enjoyable experience.

Venomous smite, it's so obviously made for entry level players to be able to do damage to people who know how to block or roll the damage is way higher than it should be, this set heralded the end of PvP being fun in no CP.

(sheer venom,oblivions foe, pillar of nirn, caluurions, flame blossom, red mountain are all to strong for being a free damage proc and need minor nerfs)

CP PvP is kind of a joke people are way to tanky I don't actually have the patience to deal with 15 minute fights with stambuilds that line of sight every 5 seconds, it's very much the same thing over and over and just takes to long for how little fun it is. At least the sets are actually tuned for it better and it's just the skills that are making it garbo

I don't know about CP PvP, but I agree with you about no CP just not being fun anymore. I'm not sure what all they did in that last update but it's mostly just pure cheese now.

I saw a poster on here the other day say they wanted to have a server where everyone just one-shotted the other so that PvP was basically just a race to see who could hit who first. I'm not sure if he/she was being sarcastic. But that does seem to be the direction we are moving in.

I believe I'm to the point I think they should just remove sets from PvP all together since they apparently can't balance them within reason. It would suck, but PvP would probably be a lot more fun as a result.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 14, 2020 10:51PM
    Options
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    Are proc sets in general a problem? Yes. Are they as bad as people make out to be? Absolutely not, bar a few exceptions.

Edit: I would like to retract my first statement. It appears that a lot of people were busy farming proc sets for the last few weeks. There has been a huge influx of proc users recently. I play a lot of BGs. One or two proc users in a BG is no issue. You just cleanse it and get on with it. When over half the lobby is using double procs, there aren't enough cleanses in the world to prevent that. You poke your head out for a second and eat 5 DOT procs plus whatever other abilities caused those procs (Poison Injection etc). In this situation, your best course of action is to also run procs so the brief moments where you poke your head out, you're putting out as much damage as possible before hiding in a corner to try and survive the dots. Regardless, the following sets are by far the worst contenders.

Venomous Smite is no where near as bad as people make out. It does good damage but it is also cleanable and has a 15 second cooldown. Imagine Stuhn's Favor's penetration proc was purge-able, or any other 5-piece bonus, for that matter. In group PVP, you should have at least a few cleansers in the party; rendering Venomous useless. And if you can run a cleanse but you're not, honestly... that's kinda on you. In 1vX scenarios (where the 1vXer is running Venomous Smite), so often that proc will end up on the wrong target - making it very hit or miss compared to running a pure stat build. Honestly, the only place it shines is in a 1v1 where the person getting hit with Hunter's Venom can't cleanse it. And even then, you can just LOS for the first few seconds of the proc to mitigate their kill window.

Honestly, I think the only reason people hate Venomous Smite so much is because it's obvious when it's on you. This set is thoroughly mediocre in the vast selection of other proc sets and non-proc sets. The fact that it's obvious is actually a strike against the set. Because even the most unaware PVPers know when it's on them. And it's obvious when it's on someone near you if you want to cleanse them, too.

There are, however, other proc sets that are a problem.

Sheer Venom is one of them. The damage is great, even if it's cleansed it can be reapplied, you can apply it to multiple targets at a time, you can apply it AOE with dual-wield and so on. Oh, and unlike Venomous Smite, it can be run with Malacath.

The combination of Unleashed Terror and Merciless Charge is also a big issue. Especially when combined with Malacath. If you cleanse Unleashed Terror, you do have a 10 second window of immunity to it which is... ok, I guess. But regardless, the fact that you can potentially proc Merciless Charge, Unleashed Terror, double DOT poison, 2h axe bleed, all buffed by Malacath and AOE in a single global cooldown down is absurd. Not to mention the fact that you can run these two sets, Malacath and Sheer Venom all in one build. This is truly obnoxious.

Draugrkin on a StamSorc is pretty obnoxious in a 1v1 if you can't disengage or mitigate the damage during their burst window. Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as some of the other offenders.

A lot of proc builds are cleansable or highly telegraphed. On top of that, and I say this from experience; having run multiple proc builds myself, they have a consistent issue with taking down Wardens (and some Stamcros). The tankiness, healing and passive cleanse all make Warden's really difficult to take down with DOT procs. I recently put together an anti-proc-meta Stamsorc build (that includes a cleanse and no procs) and those tanky Wardens are actually killable - something that wasn't doable with even the cheesiest of proc builds.

Oblivion's Foe in certain builds I think could be too strong. It can be reapplied if cleansed, just like Sheer Venom, it can be applied to multiple targets and it buffs Soul Strike as well. I've come up against a tanky Necro running this set and the damage during the Soul Magic ult with this set is truly terrifying.

Caluurion's Legacy is another contender for "overtuned procs". With the increased projectile speed, it's now a lot harder to dodge. The only thing I think about this set is how reliant ganky Magblades are on it. They don't have delayed burst in their class kit, so this set is their only option if they want to build that way. On classes that already have access to delayed burst, this set is definitely ridiculous.

The combination of Grothdar and Overwhelming Surge, again with Malacath, is also a problem. The damage from this is crazy, while the user does damage with their other abilities or just holds block if they're under pressure. And would I be right in saying it's unblock-able and undodge-able? Correct me if I'm wrong there. I've never run this set - and I tend to just kite away as fast as possible when I see it.

I think everyone who can find a way to fit a cleanse into their build, if you're coming across DOT procs often, should put a cleanse in their build. I've put together a high Magicka-regen Stamsorc for that exact purpose. I do come across far too many Nightblades with double venom procs, both in the open world and high MMR BGs. But the fact that you can nullify 50-100% of their build's 5-set pieces is a pretty viable counter.
    Edited by Xiomaro on September 19, 2020 10:04AM
    PC EU No CP PVP
    Xiomaro: Nord Stamsorc
    Xio'maro: Breton Magsorc
    Falura Avelni: Dunmer Vampblade
    Ulric Longboi: Nord Stamden
    Sha'boom-boom: Orc Werewolf Tank
    Morga The Roarer Nord Stamcro
    Options
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's not the individual set, it's the fact that it synergizes way too well with other sets or with specific classes.

Merciless Charge, not so bad on its own. But combined with Unleashed Terror and Unfathomable Darkness all you have to do is crit charge a player and they have three hefty DOTs going off all at once, maybe 5 or 6 if you get lucky with poisons and passives. From there you can turtle or evade while they do your work. At least this puts you on melee range so you expose yourself to some danger.

If you're playing a traditional stamblade, you expose yourself to a lot of danger if your combo isn't successful — it's feast or famine and it's a good thing that you have to sacrifice invisibility when you want to do damage. But you could also just put Soul Trap and Poison Injection on a player from afar, especially if they're evading another team, and just let Oblivion's Foe and Sheer Venom do the work. Since you can single-bar these you can afford to wear a Malacath or a monster set on top of that. And you don't expose yourself to much when you can cloak 28m away.

All of this could be avoided if
    - these sets were designed to avoid overloading a single GCD, either with an overall cool down for proc sets or making them scale with stats. The latter should definitely happen, but I don't think it would fix the effort/risk -> reward ratio when sets are stacked by itself.
    - required you to align several conditions to make good use of them, same as how stat sets require you to think about which ability you're going to use when. Stop with "as long as you have a pulse, you deal x damage over time. This effect cannot occur again for y seconds" sets
    - did not benefit from Malacath
    Edited by Recapitated on September 16, 2020 5:03AM
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the idea that proccs shouls scale off stats or something, just to make it still worthwhile with stats, because atm all that matters basicly...is proccs...proccpvp. And I dislike it.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeromaz wrote: »
    I guess yall don't slot Purge or have a skill that purges or a set that purges? I mean your kinda playing Russian Roulette going into pvp without some type of purge.....

The only true argument is the fact that those sets can be placed on multiple targets if each target is targeted because it is a single target ability that procs it.

Sorc doesn't have purge. other classes do, or nb can cloak

Everyone has access to a purge

StamDK says hi....
    Stamsorc says hi....
    Magsorc says hi....
    Stamblade says hi....
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    UrbanMonk wrote: »

StamDK says hi....
    Stamsorc says hi....
    Magsorc says hi....
    Stamblade says hi....

It's rather insane how big the difference is between how easy it is to apply proc dots vs how much it costs to get rid of them.
    Even templars can't keep up with them, especially if you have multiple people on you.
    Options
  • H4z44
    H4z44
    Soul Shriven
    Firstmep wrote: »
    UrbanMonk wrote: »

StamDK says hi....
    Stamsorc says hi....
    Magsorc says hi....
    Stamblade says hi....

It's rather insane how big the difference is between how easy it is to apply proc dots vs how much it costs to get rid of them.
    Even templars can't keep up with them, especially if you have multiple people on you.

I think cleansing a poison should give you some sort of resistance for x seconds. Poison spam is ridiculous as is the cost of cleasing it.

Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    I really like the idea that proccs shouls scale off stats or something, just to make it still worthwhile with stats, because atm all that matters basicly...is proccs...proccpvp. And I dislike it.

I don't like it either.

Maybe what they can do is introduce a new PvP mode where gear sets are removed. That way players are on a more even footing without having some cheap combination of procs that just obliterate you.
    Options
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

I don't like it either.

Maybe what they can do is introduce a new PvP mode where gear sets are removed. That way players are on a more even footing without having some cheap combination of procs that just obliterate you.

You‘ve got plenty first person shooters to choose from.
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice with say a monster set that significantly reduced any proccdmg vs you. Like for ex: «all dmg from proccs(itemsets) is reduced by 50% and everytime you are taking dmg from a proccset you gain minor heroism for 6 seconds» or some other minor buff

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malacath, but they needed a way to get pvp players to buy the expansion, so why not add (stealth) p2w gear.

Malacath is the only way proc sets are competitive. Otherwise they're just traps that look good on paper or are only effective against non-competitive builds.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiomaro wrote: »
    The combination of Unleashed Terror and Merciless Charge is also a big issue. Especially when combined with Malacath. If you cleanse Unleashed Terror, you do have a 10 second window of immunity to it which is... ok, I guess. But regardless, the fact that you can potentially proc Merciless Charge, Unleashed Terror, double DOT poison, 2h axe bleed, all buffed by Malacath and AOE in a single global cooldown down is absurd. Not to mention the fact that you can run these two sets, Malacath and Sheer Venom all in one build. This is truly obnoxious.

Oooh this is interesting...

so Malacath buff poison and 2H axe bleed too? Interesting....... what if I put some CP into Thaumaturge?
    Options
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice with say a monster set that significantly reduced any proccdmg vs you. Like for ex: «all dmg from proccs(itemsets) is reduced by 50% and everytime you are taking dmg from a proccset you gain minor heroism for 6 seconds» or some other minor buff

This reminded me of sth from two years ago.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/417663/pvp-set-proposal-anti-proc-set-sets

I'd still like to see them introduced, but they would need new names for obvious reasons...
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

so Malacath buff poison and 2H axe bleed too? Interesting....... what if I put some CP into Thaumaturge?

just tested this. it's not as bad as it sounds. Unleashed and Merciless DoT already can't crit, so if u put on Malacath (and effectively use 1 monster set + unleashed set + 2 pieces of "stuff", u will already miss the 2nd set bonus. plus, your stampede/crit charge cannot crit at all.

If you skip Malacath, only heavy axe can crit, and still u can't have 2 sets + monsters - you either 2 sets, or 1 set/monster+4 pieces because of Merciless weapon. you could now crit stampede too, but in reality, u will be dodged in PvP and waste that too. Oh and no one gonna stand around on stampede area.

u can't have Unleashed (5 pieces) + Merciless (2H 2 piece) + Malacath (1 ring) + another 5-piece set (like Sheer Venom)....

i don't see Unleased and Merciless OP. i'd still wear NMA + Orgnum, or maybe swap Orgnum with Venom if I bring a bow to start proc-ing people into poison..........

meh, I'm kinda disappointed :lol:
    Options
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭

u can't have Unleashed (5 pieces) + Merciless (2H 2 piece) + Malacath (1 ring) + another 5-piece set (like Sheer Venom)....

Yes you can. You can use Merciless front bar and backbar a Sheer Venom bow. 3-pieces of Sheer Venom on other gear, 5 Unleashed Terror, Malacath and one Monster piece.

I've been playing this on Stamsorc. Charge > Streak > Poison Inject. It's disgusting.
    Edited by Xiomaro on September 17, 2020 9:03PM
    PC EU No CP PVP
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can. You can use Merciless front bar and backbar a Sheer Venom bow. 3-pieces of Sheer Venom on other gear, 5 Unleashed Venom, Malacath and one Monster piece.

I've been playing this on Stamsorc. Charge > Streak > Poison Inject. It's disgusting.

The pressure is actually enough to force a health tank to back off
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes you can. You can use Merciless front bar and backbar a Sheer Venom bow. 3-pieces of Sheer Venom on other gear, 5 Unleashed Terror, Malacath and one Monster piece.

Unleashed Terror procs off streak? on multiple targets?

Doesn't it have the same wording as the Tormentor set and that doesn't proc on streak as an AE taunt?

ZOS needs to be more consistent with this stuff.
    Options
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »

Unleashed Terror procs off streak? on multiple targets?

Doesn't it have the same wording as the Tormentor set and that doesn't proc on streak as an AE taunt?

ZOS needs to be more consistent with this stuff.

It does proc off streak but it's a little inconsistent. That's why I charge first. That way everything definitely procs.

But yeah, I agree with the comment about Tormentor. I would love to run that set on my Sorc for some random normals. I don't understand why Streak works with Unleashed but not Tormentor. And I've tested both this patch.
    PC EU No CP PVP
    Options
  • MirkoZ
    MirkoZ
    ✭✭✭✭

Where is my purge as stamsorc?
    Options
  • Zeromaz
    Zeromaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    MirkoZ wrote: »

Where is my purge as stamsorc?

The Support skill line
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, well, that ain't a monster set, that's 1 monster piece. Then yes.

But I suppose the 2-piece bonus from a monster combo is comparable to 5-pc bonus of a set (plus Malacath)

Luckily i don't have Sheer Venom. I have Venom Smite, so no Malacath for me. Just Venom jewelries, Merciless front bar, Venom bow back bar. 60% crit chance anyway.
    Options
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tolino wrote: »
    You can use 3 Proc-Sets + Malacath.
    Monsterset+Procset on Frontbar+Procset on Backbar+malacath+1xTrainee

You lose the crit.
    Let's compare crit vs Malacath.

We take Magplar (because of the extra critdmg)

Magplar in cp:
    1.5 base crit dmg
    +0.1 passive
    +0.1 minor force
    + ~0.2 cp
    =1.9 crit dmg

On average, players have 45-50%Crit resists.
    We have also a 1.4 crit vs 1.25 Malacath.
    But nearly all PvP builds have less than 50% crit! You deal most of the time 1 and not 1.4... +Proc's can't crit anyway

Back to topic:
    -Malacath
    -Sheer Venom
    -Venomus Smite
    -Caluurion's Legacy
    -Draugrkin (Edit. Only noCp)
    -Eternal Vigor

Oh you're talking about in cp? Then malacath is even worse. It's damage bonus is additive.

So using the example above you'll be getting roughly a 30percent damage increase from blue cp, so base damage percent 100 plus 25 for malacath and 30 from cp is 155. So it's not 1.25, more like 1.19, and it goes down even more if you have other damage modifiers like minor beserk, etc. In addition you are forced to use sets that can be one-barred, and alot of those sets have crit chance anyways which is a wasted slot. You already get 29percent crit chance in heavy armor with inner light, up to 39percent with light armor, and that's with zero set bonuses.

This is all ignoring the fact that burst damage is more important than sustained damge in pvp anyways, malacath is a great set for alot of builds, but it's not overpowered.
    Options