Official Discussion Thread for "Create a Bustling Hub of Activity with Character Pathing"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "Create a Bustling Hub of Activity with Character Pathing"
i5o0z8l3c6vl.png

Guide your assistants, mounts, and pets through your house and make it feel more alive than ever with the new Character Pathing tool, coming with Update 27.
Staff Post
  • Phanex
    Phanex
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, now that you have a picture of a dog barking at the cat person and said cat person is reared up in fear...that must now be an option... :wink:
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Character Pathing?"

Sounds like eventually we might get a a chance to put our other characters in the house? Because that pic is much more "bustling" than the current design would allow.

I'd also like an option to slightly move an "item" .... I have one of those "mimic hists" (totally NOT a mimic, it's just a baby Hist that followed me home to my Ample Domicile) and I'd love it to be able to move just slightly.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Phanex
    Phanex
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    "Character Pathing?"

Sounds like eventually we might get a a chance to put our other characters in the house? Because that pic is much more "bustling" than the current design would allow.

I'd also like an option to slightly move an "item" .... I have one of those "mimic hists" (totally NOT a mimic, it's just a baby Hist that followed me home to my Ample Domicile) and I'd love it to be able to move just slightly.

Oh, nice idea! What if we could get the floating psijic books to move around as well. Great thing for a "haunted" house.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good system yes but the art does indicate a lot more than it is presently capable of - emoting, sitting, snarling, dubious patting of the back. This one hopes this is a taste of things to come and not one of those purple smoke dreams.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Character Pathing?"

This is a nice feature - but I agree the bustling would be low with the current limitation on special collectibles- aka pets, mounts, assistants.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    “You can place nodes wherever you want, and this even includes floating in the air, or going straight through solid objects if you so choose,” says Cullen. “This was important to us because it maintains the freedom that our housing editor is built around, but it does mean that you can have some… unusual behaviors.”

After I made my wolf climb the wall and stand on it, I was afraid that such feature will be removed - because it was too fun :D It's very nice that these fun options will be on live server too :)
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will we be able to have pathing on dummies? i want my skeleton army to march in formation
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Character Pathing?"

Phanex wrote: »
    Oh, nice idea! What if we could get the floating psijic books to move around as well. Great thing for a "haunted" house.

Oh that would be most excellent!
    Will we be able to have pathing on dummies? i want my skeleton army to march in formation

Keep these ideas coming!! Usher in a whole new level of housing!!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    "Character Pathing?"

This is a nice feature - but I agree the bustling would be low with the current limitation on special collectibles- aka pets, mounts, assistants.

Yeah this. I won't bother with the NPCs that are coming since they share the limit on PTS with pets, mounts and assistants, all of whom I prefer to have in my houses. Doubling the amount of NPCs we can place in our homes would be a good start.
  • Shadowdream
    Shadowdream
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! I would love to be able to do this with items also. Essential housing tools lets you do it within the limitations of the addon, but it would be nice to make smoothly moving dwemer elevators and the like. I have a tower just *begging* for this!

And adding emoting to the pathing system would be great. :) (And please, can we take the tack off our mounts at home?? The poor things!)

This will be a lot of fun! Thanks for the addition!
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to pathing. I tried it on the PTS and had quite a bit of fun.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Bleakraven
    Bleakraven
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really happy with this addition. It's especially nice to people that like to create their own levels or stories in housing, as well as roleplay events.
    One of the things I really found lacking was to be able to have the NPC/creature emote something at a specific node.
    I agree with the others that having the option to have our other characters in our house would be great! Or the ability to create our own NPC with the looks and outfit we'd like? At the very least, let us have a generic NPC of each race and gender to outfit as we'd like.
    I feel we can do so much cool stuff with this! <3
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love the character pathing! I spent last night testing it out, and came up with this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0k1qbqYrX0
    Now our pack has some things to hunt in Hunter's Glade! Plus cute things going on in the banquet area! :) Definitely need emote options however! I would love to control what they do at certain places beyond just waiting time.
    Thank you for adding this!
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Err hello??
    Once again, no consideration of /sit or other emotes

So we have these ever standing characters that walk - stand at a spot staring and walk again.

Not that 'exciting' ;(
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes some emote control would be nice. Also having the ability to switch off mounts' saddles and reins, if you look at my video above its very apparent how weird and unnatural they look running and walking around the place. @ZOS_SarahHecker @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_MariaAliprando @ZOS_JaredCarr
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • BulletMagnetX
    BulletMagnetX
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a lot of fun with the pathing so far. One QOL tweak I'd like is a control for the pathing "stickiness" of nodes and the paths that lead to them. I certainly appreciate how the little critters follow the height of the terrain rather than bloody-mindedly hovering over or burrowing through it in accordance with the angle of the given path.

But I have several pets whose sprinting motion is to take to the wing, and I've had them soaring around my island above my head quite wonderfully. But take-off and landing is very off. They teleport from the ground to a minimum altitude on take off, and the same in reverse on landing.

I have them skidding to a halt and leaping off of things really nicely, but this one thing is upsetting my intentions for them. If I could tell a node to not force approaching or departing characters to stick to the ground for that segment then I could bring them in much more smoothly.
    Molag's balls!
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This works with my mounts and walking pets but I tried it with the flying moth swarm and it just teleports all over the place and looks crazy.

Also I wanted my monkey to wander about climbing on stuff but it just teleports up and down across different levels, no smooth animations between points at different heights.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion