The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Restoring Caltrops to Glory?

Styxius
Styxius
✭✭✭✭
With everything going on I think it should be looked at for caltrops to get a buff again. With the nerf of caltrops during the Scalebreaker patch, it hurt a key aspect of what stamina identity was. The skill still sees occasional use but nowhere near it was. Magicka got Orb in their toolkit as a universal mag AoE just as Caltrops once was for stamina. With orb normally doing more DPS. I think it'd be a good chance for Caltrops to get buffed again in this coming, or next patch.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not wrong. I have four pure archers. They all used to slot caltrops but now none of them do. Skill slots are precious and caltrops no longer makes the cut. Even my tank who used to use caltrops as a 28m group aggro starter has dropped the skill in favor of soul splitting trap.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use caltrop everytime I convert to bow build, but it is still overwhelmingly weak in comparison to other AOE skills. I guess it is weak due to having major fracture attached to it, but so is orb, it has a snyrgy that restores resources and damage enemeis at the same time.
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave major fracture alone.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make powerful assault much more viable on a dd.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    It would be far better to change the Anti-Calavry morph to dealing just pure damage so Razor Caltrops still has a use with Major Fracture. Really sucks that any skill or morph is dedicated largely to one side of gameplay, especially with such a niche use.
    Edited by Celestro on August 11, 2020 8:57PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major fracture is a good debuff. 4 seconds of it from a 10 second low damage skill is not enough to earn a slot for me.
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even when they were good I ran them on my third bar. R.I.P The build.
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
  • StytchFingal
    StytchFingal
    ✭✭✭
    Major fracture is a good debuff. 4 seconds of it from a 10 second low damage skill is not enough to earn a slot for me.

The Major Fracture will reapply after the 4 seconds if an enemy is taking damage from the caltrops, so you should be getting up to 12 seconds of MF from a 10 second skill. Try it on a dummy.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Major Fracture will reapply after the 4 seconds if an enemy is taking damage from the caltrops, so you should be getting up to 12 seconds of MF from a 10 second skill. Try it on a dummy.

Thank you for pointing that out. It does make perfect sense and does indeed somewhat improve my opinion of the skill. :)