The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game completely freezes for me while in dungeons/arenas/trials, but not in overworld

• Maeandros
    Maeandros
    Dovakhan wrote: »
    Don't call it a victory just yet. I don't have any crashes in the first boss on Normal, but I do have them on Vet.

Likewise, I managed to beat the final boss of the arena once without crashes, but now apparently it's impossible for me to do so, even after trying 5 times straight.

Anyway, gonna post in your thread, too. The more we pester Zenimax with this matter, the more chances we have of them actually doing something. Although I hope that U27 and the new memory manager fixes this.

True. I guess I just got a little too carried away finally seeing something different … I'll try it again later when I've got time to see if my luck holds.
    Edited by Maeandros on August 10, 2020 6:29PM
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    Well, I actually finished the Arena, so I'm feeling a lot better about this. We'll see when I try again ...
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    HA! Yeah, I spoke too soon. Did it again at the same place as normal.
  • Necoriban
    Necoriban
    ✭✭
    Almost 3 months since greymoor, problem's still not fixed. There are like 50 + different threads about this, still not a single response from devs except the generic "clean up your pc/game" thing.
    In this thread we found the or at least one of the causes,also found a workaround that works.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/531139/shade-of-naemons-attack-cause-game-crashing/p1

The freeze/crash is linked to certain abilities/animations.

Needless to say i removed my eso+, game is unplayable for me since greymoor. Crash every battleground. Crash on most delves/trials. Crash in every arena.
    Edited by Necoriban on August 13, 2020 1:37AM
    Do you know how long i've been looking for you?
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People who post here with suggestions on things to try, are just trying to help! Issues are frustrating, I know. Since these issues do not seem to affect all/most players, it would seem the issue is on the user's end.

Since the freeze/crash you guys are experiencing seems to be specific to a certain boss's ability/animation. And you guys say your drivers/bios are up-to-date, my guess is that there is a software conflict somewhere. Have you guys tried turning off GeForce Experience?.. This program has been causing me issues in the past, game crashes to be exact. GFE seemed to be running normally, and nothing seemed wrong with it, even after the crashes. But it still did cause them for some reason. In my case I had to do a complete windows re-install and leave GFE out, to fix it. But completely removing GFE should work as well. *Some antivirus programs have this issue as well.*

If that is not it, my next guess would be there is something wrong with the audio drivers/audio output. Since if it were a graphics issue, the game wouldn't run at all. Or nothing would show.

PS: Before you crash/freeze, are all the textures loaded correctly? ... Nothing missing, or not showing up? *If any textures are missing, it could be that the gamefile is corrupt for some reason. In my case this was due to SSD+pre-allocate on another program, but it could also be a broken harddrive. Or something else causing the file(s) to be corrupted.*
    Edited by Sarannah on August 14, 2020 1:13PM
  • Necoriban
    Necoriban
    ✭✭
    Sorry if it seemed an attack, was not my intention.

Anyway, at first too i thought it was an Nvidia problem, going back to years old drivers or turning it off completely changes nothing, also if you see other threads this problem is happening to a lot of Xbox users so it's not that.
    Another thing is that the game worked perfectly for us for years before the greymoor update.

If you see the link i posted above, in the last comments it is found that the crash/freeze happens only if you are playing in first person. and everyone confirmed this, since switching to 3rd fixes everything and we haven't had a crash/freeze since.
    The fact that the issue seems not know lies there, 90% of the playerbase don't use first person, those who use it play the game casually without doing pvp/bosses. Also, it is actually very known. Half of the threads about crashes are about this, the other half about the evergreen cyrodiil crash. It simply can happen in so many context/areas that every thread has a different name for the crash and so it seems something different, but if you open these threads and read, it's almost always the same.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    ANOTHER ****ing crash in Crypt of Hearts II Normal, at some boss fight, again with the damn flying skulls I think.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    Just happened to me in Spindleclutch I (normal) in a trash fight.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Not a crash/freeze report, but let's hope that tomorrow's patch fixes this. It has been a ****ing disaster ever since Greymoor came out.

Supposedly tomorrow's patch has a new memory manager. Hopefully that'll do the trick. And if not, well, then this thread will become the oldest of the forum, because I'm gonna continue reporting every single crash/freeze I have.

I've also read that these freezes only happen when playing...in 1st person? I generally play in 3rd person, and now that I think of it, I don't remember any freeze happening while in 3rd person, but I switch to 1st person when in boss fights or when I need to get serious, cos aiming in 3rd person sucks. Anyways, I guess that one workaround is better than zero :P
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 23, 2020 8:17AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Post-Stonethorn patch. Updated GPU drivers as well. Tried vMA, STILL *** FREEZES ON THE LAST BOSS OF THE FIRST ROUND.

[snip] I'm not spending A DAMN ****ING CENT MORE on this game.

[Edited to remove Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 24, 2020 5:32PM
  • Necoriban
    Necoriban
    ✭✭
    Crash still happening after 3 months
    Edited by Necoriban on August 25, 2020 10:23AM
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    It happened to me 4 times in Fang lair (undaunted pledge) normal mode, 2 times against the lich, and 2 times against the ending boss (bone dragon)... I am on PS4 pro and the game completely frozen, i had to restart it each time...
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    2 more crashes while loading the Alik'r desert.

I'm not even trying MA or Vet dungeons anymore. That's how pathetic this situation has come to.
  • Necoriban
    Necoriban
    ✭✭
    Edit 9/21:

From today patch notes:

Fixed an issue where engaging in combat with some Lich monsters could cause your game to lock up or crash.
    Fixed a very rare crash that was most common in high intensity combat scenarios with many characters.

I think they fixed it, haven't tested yet
    Edited by Necoriban on September 21, 2020 3:18PM