The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Game completely freezes for me while in dungeons/arenas/trials, but not in overworld

Dovakhan
Dovakhan
✭✭✭
PC, EU server. Clean, updated Windows installation, updated GPU drivers. Tried reinstalling the game with no success.

Game freezes randomly during group dungeons/arenas/trials, and in such a bad way that I've to close the Windows session in order to regain control of my PC. It doesn't seem to freeze in any overworld content (aka, while questing), or public dungeons (although it did froze once while in a Delve). It's especially bad in Maelstrom Arena, where it ALWAYS freezes while battling the final boss in Stage 1.

Curiously enough, I've 0 problems even on dolmens with lots of monsters and 20 players or more, but just today I tried doing a RND in the IC Sewers, and it froze while battling the very first group of enemies :P

This never happened to me pre-Greymoor patch, and in fact I haven't installed anything on my gaming PC ever since.

i7 8700k
Geforce 1080 Ti, latest drivers installed
16 GBs RAM
Edited by Dovakhan on June 16, 2020 10:48PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Add Cyrodiil Delves to the list of dungeons that freezes for me.

I'm gonna continue posting and bumping this until it's fixed, I don't care if this becomes the oldest thread in the forums. This is [snip] unacceptable.

[Edit for censor bypass.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on June 23, 2020 11:11PM
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    Is it freezing mostly on load screens? If not, could you make a list of areas you had the game freeze up.

By chance did you luck out and have any error messages?
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    - IC Sewers, and probably every group dungeon I've tried.
    - Maelstrom Arena.
    - Delves, crashed once in one in Eastmarch, and another time in a Cyrodiil one.

That's it as far as I can remember/tested.

Now that you mention it, most freezes comes while fighting, especially while fighting some big boss, like in this last Delve, or in MA, althought in the Eastmarch's one I think that it just froze ramdomly while walking. And no, it never freezes for me while loading, at least so far.

And no, sadly no error messages. Game just freezes with the sounds playing in a loop till I have to press the Windows key and close my session, cos no matter what I do, I can't kill the game, or return to desktop.

And again, this never happened to me pre-Greymoor.
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 17, 2020 6:33PM
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    Pick one day this week, and try to play without any addons. Let us know if the issues decrease in volume.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    RT01100111 wrote: »
    Pick one day this week, and try to play without any addons. Let us know if the issues decrease in volume.

Already doing that, still the same freezes with the same frequency. 0 addons or libraries.
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 17, 2020 10:38PM
  • RT01100111
    RT01100111
    ✭✭✭
    Try this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/533572/how-do-i-delete-the-elder-scrolls-save-data-on-pc#latest

Note you'll lose all customizations and addons. But, if you make a backup should should be able to restore.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    For the third time:

1) I reinstalled from ZERO. That means that all the game folders, even the ones in hidden system ones like in C:\ProgramData were deleted. And that of course includes the My Documents one. Heck, I've even checked if the game has Steam Cloud so I could somehow wipe the files there as well, but it doesn't. It seems that the Zenimax servers themselves stores everything, and I don't have any control over that.

And 2) After the reinstallation, I installed ZERO addons or libraries, and I'm keeping it that way so far, much as I miss DressingRoom.

Also, errors caused by the client's system tends to be random, whereas I can spend 8 hours or so happily questing, and crash at the first 5 minutes of a dungeon. The freezes being so localized is also a sign that it may be the dev's problem, not the client's.
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 18, 2020 8:06PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this has been going on for a couple of days I assume OP has restarted their PC. When I say restart I mean doing a complete shutdown then starting it cold. The "restart" function on PCs does not shut the PC down completely as it is set up for a fast startup similar to when the PC sleeps.

Also, do a "repair" from the launcher. Game Options>Repair A restart after a repair is good to measure.

What RT01100111 said might help.

After that, create a ticket with tech support. They may be able to help, especially with the report the launcher can provide. @ZOS_BillE may have some helpful information as well. They can also make sure the tech support ticket makes it to the right place once they have the ticket number.

Understand, TS is likely very backlogged just as CS is due to COVID. Only create one ticket and only reply to the ticket when Zos replies of if you have information significant to the issue as both will move that ticket back to the end of the line.

Good luck.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    I obviously close my PC every night. I'm not an office tech-inept like the ones I work with in IT :P

Also, I don't mind till the patch planned for the 29th. But either they fix it by then, or my wallet will be permanently closed regarding future purchases.
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 18, 2020 8:11PM
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    The last upgrade, ZOS included TAA in the graphics/video settings. When I changed to TAA I was getting similar problems. I changed the settings back to FXAA and haven't had any problems since. (I have I7-3770K CPU and RTX 2080 TI GPU. All graphics settings are set to MAX in 3 monitor surround. I also tweaked NVIDIA's Global settings to maximize video quality.)

Perhaps your issues are are related to the ESO video settings vs. Graphic card settings??
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Kamchuk wrote: »
    The last upgrade, ZOS included TAA in the graphics/video settings. When I changed to TAA I was getting similar problems. I changed the settings back to FXAA and haven't had any problems since. (I have I7-3770K CPU and RTX 2080 TI GPU. All graphics settings are set to MAX in 3 monitor surround. I also tweaked NVIDIA's Global settings to maximize video quality.)

Perhaps your issues are are related to the ESO video settings vs. Graphic card settings??

Nice try, but I've AA disabled in both drivers and the game, as I play in 4K, and barely notice the difference anyway.

As for the rest of options, they're at the highest + HBAO, but then again, those are the same options that I've had pre-Greymoor patch (and that I've ever had, really).
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 18, 2020 10:29PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Game has just frozen thrice for me in a short period of time, all while in a loading screen: once while trying to enter my house (Windhelm), then twice when trying to enter the outlaw refugee, the 3rd time EVEN AFTER doing a full PC reboot.

This game has gone from rock-stable pre-Greymoor patch to a [snip] freeze fest post-Greymoor. I TRULY hope that the 29's patch fixes this. It's just ridiculous.

[Edit for censor bypass.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on June 23, 2020 11:22PM
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings!

Do you by chance have a ticket in with our Customer Support team? If so, please provide us with a ticket number so that we can be sure it is with the correct team so they can help to investigate your issue. If you do not have a support ticket in, we recommend submitting one as your provided system specs pass the minimum requirements.

-Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    I've submitted two over the in-game system, guess I'll submit a 3rd one and post the ticket number here. Thx.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Game has frozen for me AGAIN while in a PvP combat in Cyrodiil (while in the exterior). And I'm beginning to be real f&%$#ing tired of this. I can't believe that it's actually getting worse.

I submitted another ticket via the in-game menus, reference number: 200627-001870

i7 8700K
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti, drivers 451.48 (latest at the moment of writing this).
    16 GB RAM
    All graphics settings at max, AA disabled in both drivers and game options.

And yes, I reinstalled the game from 0, including deleting all user folders prior to reinstallation.
    Edited by Dovakhan on June 27, 2020 8:39AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    6.0.8, game froze AGAIN in Spindleclutch I Veteran while doing an Undaunted pledge.

Gonna post here everyday till this is fixed. Just shameful.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 1, 2020 4:29PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    I think that I've narrowed it down to Veteran content. I've played a few Normal dungeons and Trials and everything went smoothly. Odd.

I didn't freeze in Battlegrounds either for a while as well.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 4, 2020 11:15PM
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same here, and I'm on Xbox NA. 200k download speeds, 0% packet loss, and 14ms latency. My connection is crisp and consistent, so it's not on my end.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Scratch that. I just froze in Normal IC Prison, same first group of enemies than in my previous post. Just great :P
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    This started happening to me a couple weeks as well. It's only happened in Maelstrom Arena, but it does it every time at the same place. When I get to the Final Round of the first stage, the screen totally freezes up within 5 to 10 seconds of the boss appearing. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, resetting the programdata folder, getting latest patches, etc.

I started ticket # 200703-005583 and just got what seemed to be a generic response giving me troubleshooting tips for being "unable to connect to the server" (e.g., check your internet).

A quick search on the net shows that a lot of other people have been getting this, too (both PC and console):

"I decided to go try the solo maelstrom arena out today, and at the final boss in the first arena the game freezes, 8 times now, I've quit and relaunched, soft reboot and hard reboot the Xbox, I shut it down and waited an hour, nothing changes, freezes at first boss every time."

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/h7rj3b/maelstrom_arena_freezing_for_anyone_else_xbox_one/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

It's really frustrating.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Maeandros wrote: »
    This started happening to me a couple weeks as well. It's only happened in Maelstrom Arena, but it does it every time at the same place. When I get to the Final Round of the first stage, the screen totally freezes up within 5 to 10 seconds of the boss appearing. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, resetting the programdata folder, getting latest patches, etc.

I started ticket # 200703-005583 and just got what seemed to be a generic response giving me troubleshooting tips for being "unable to connect to the server" (e.g., check your internet).

A quick search on the net shows that a lot of other people have been getting this, too (both PC and console):

"I decided to go try the solo maelstrom arena out today, and at the final boss in the first arena the game freezes, 8 times now, I've quit and relaunched, soft reboot and hard reboot the Xbox, I shut it down and waited an hour, nothing changes, freezes at first boss every time."

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/h7rj3b/maelstrom_arena_freezing_for_anyone_else_xbox_one/?utm_source=BD&utm_medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1

It's really frustrating.

Yeah, I have the exact same issue as well.

And I f&%$· hate brainless generic replies.
  • benholt06
    benholt06

It's really frustrating.

Is the boss a necromancer class with the anchor move (flying skulls)? This particular mechanic seems to be what's freezing a number of players rn.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    benholt06 wrote: »

It's really frustrating.

Is the boss a necromancer class with the anchor move (flying skulls)? This particular mechanic seems to be what's freezing a number of players rn.

What about the first group of enemies in IC Prison? It constantly freezes for me there, and they're just regular dudes.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    I haven't branched out much in the game, so all I've noticed is the Maelstrom Arena. Very first area, final round, boss who spawns aspects of himself. No skulls that I've seen, but then again, I've only seen -- at most -- 20 seconds before the game freezes.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Another *** freeze on Moongrave Fane Normal, at the *** end boss which robbed me of the *** RND reward after doing all that *** long dungeon.

*** great ¬¬
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 11, 2020 6:27PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been having this on and off, but it is always worse in any PvP battle, be it IC, Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I've been having this on and off, but it is always worse in any PvP battle, be it IC, Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds.

I used to freeze a lot in BG's, too, but not lately. Now it's almost 100% in Dungeons.

Although I haven't gone to Cyrodiil for long, just a raid the other day for a few hours with no freezes either. Ah, and I also went to the IC some other day, but I was a stealthy build and never entered combat.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 11, 2020 6:55PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    *** froze AGAIN at the last boss of Normal MA.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    In a *** FIRST, game froze while in the Overworld, more precisely while fighting Mad Urkaazbur.

Either Update 27 *** fixes this, or I'm not buying anything else TESO-related, I care a crap to have all the DLC's or not.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 13, 2020 7:13AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Froze twize in the Alik'r loading screens. Not even the first time it does so.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 15, 2020 9:26AM