The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Game completely freezes for me while in dungeons/arenas/trials, but not in overworld

• Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Another two marvelous *** freezes while loading the Alik'r desert.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a few more of these tonight while doing Icereach.

Two members of the party. Lost half the boss fight. Not good.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    And another *** freeze while in a BG. Haven't got one of those in a while. *** fantastic.

Like I said, I don't *** care if this becomes the longest/oldest thread of the forum, I'm gonna keep posting till I don't get any.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 18, 2020 8:24AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    ANOTHER *** freeze in BGs. *** incredible.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    TWO more consecutive freezes at the final boss of Fang Lair, one of them definitely after him launching the skull attack.
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    make a speed test for internet connection. had somewaht similar probs that only occured if more then 5 players on my screen. was my connection in the end.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    make a speed test for internet connection. had somewaht similar probs that only occured if more then 5 players on my screen. was my connection in the end.

Not for me. I can easily make dolmens with more than a dozen of players and multiple chaos ensured and I never froze on them, not even once, even when I've made literally half a thousand of them or so (multiple character levelling).
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 20, 2020 10:14PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    ANOTHER *** CRASH IN BG's, JUST WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO WIN. *** GREAT.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot ****ing complete MA cos it freezes every time the final boss launches a flying skull attack. Happened 3 times in a row before I decided to abandon.
    Edited by Dovakhan on July 28, 2020 8:10AM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    4th attempt, freezes again, which basically makes the whole of MA unplayable for me. ****ing kudos.
  • Greyshade
    Greyshade
    Soul Shriven
    Having exactly the same issue. Getting occasional crashes on dungeon bosses but the first boss in MA is completely impossible for me to progress beyond.

I run a fairly high-spec gaming PC so I can't see any reason why this would be a problem but here's a link to a full CPU-Z analysis of my machine and a full DxDiag output:

CPU-Z: http://www.greyshade.co.uk/misc/WINDOWS-93UCE5L.html
    DxDiag: http://www.greyshade.co.uk/misc/DxDiag.txt

I only came back to the game 2 months ago, I was enjoying it enough to pay the monthly sub but that is very soon going to stop again if this isn't fixed quickly.

Edit: Raised an in-game ticket: 200728-006422
    Edited by Greyshade on July 28, 2020 7:38PM
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    What Greyshade just said. Almost exactly.

I got a new gaming computer in April (when I started the game) and have had NO problems anywhere else in ESO or any other game EXCEPT when I try to finish the first boss in MAELSTROM ARENA. I joined the Plus thing too, and was enjoying it. About to drop, since several of us have been raising this issue for over a month now and I've received no response beyond, and I'm paraphrasing, "make sure your internet is hooked up."

Opened a new ticket last night, but haven't gotten a confirmation # yet.

Old ticket for same issue: # 200703-005583
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    3 more crashes on BG's. ****ing amazing ¬¬
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Had some issues myself before, where my computer REBOOTED on Graveld's AOE everytime while otherwise it ran 100% fine everywhere else. And only on Graveld's AOE, nowhere else. Since freezing is basically the same as resetting for a pc...

So this may help some of you: If you have a quite new CPU, but an older motherboard version, make sure your BIOS version supports the CPU(**let a professional do/check this!!**). For me this solved my reboot issue 100%.

*NOTE: my motherboard BIOS version was 805, while the CPU I had gotten myself wasn't fully supported by this motherboard until BIOS version 1005. Meaning whenever it did something that went outside the CPU's safezone, it reset my pc.*

PS: The reason I'm posting this is because some of you guys are saying you have quite new CPU's.
    PPS: Even if the hardware was bought at the same time, it can happen.
    Edited by Sarannah on August 2, 2020 7:30PM
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have such issues, my motherboard and CPU are both recent, my BIOS is updated anyway, and it has nothing to do with localized crashes. So stop blaming the client's PC once and for ****ing all, even more having in mind that they're localized crashes/freezes which a lot of people have.

I just hope that U27's new memory manager fixes them.
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 3, 2020 10:03PM
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My issue was localized, anyways, was just trying to help...

Are you doing anything on the computer that pre-allocates space? ... On SSD I've noticed when I use a program that pre-allocates diskspace, the SSD drive seems to not like it. And scrambles everything up, including files that do not belong to that program.
    It could also be a broken harddrive, meaning when the game searches for something, it can't find it.
    **Recently I thought my freezing in character creation was due to a bad harddrive, but after some more digging it turned out to be pre-allocate messing up my filesystem. Including windows files and ESO files.**

Try turning off the nvidia sound device in the devicemanager > control for sound video and games. Only do this if that category shows another sound device.

If all that doesn't help, sorry!
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having the same sort of free-screens that are impossible to recover from without rebooting, but I've been getting them anywhere and everywhere, often when just walking in overland. Naturally it was more frustrating while in combat, where you can hear the fight going on but can't do anything about it. And I've been getting them since before Greymoor.
    Sometimes I get them after playing for 2 hours, sometimes I get them 5 minutes after starting the game.

This is the only game I play that does this, MMO or otherwise.

Needless to say, I cancelled my plus long ago.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, only game it happens for me as well.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    STILL. I'm having trouble uploading a picture, but trust me ...

Maelstrom Arena. The Final Round boss in stage 1 is almost dead. Then it freezes (sound still going), then I click the mouse, and I get the error "ESO is not responding" and I have to close the program or wait for it to respond (which it never does). When I log back in, I'm dead in the arena -- if I res there, the final round starts again -- with the same results ...

Brand new, very high on the ladder, gaming laptop (much better than I deserve).

EVERY time, same place. And ONLY here. In the entire game ... nowhere else. No other game or anything else. This is a BUG.

Earlier I submitted ticket #200729-009476 and got, basically, "try making sure your internet is working."
    Just now I submitted ticket #200808-008249.

PLEASE, either fix this or just give me a **** Maelstrom Bow and I'll stop whining about this.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Maeandros wrote: »
    STILL. I'm having trouble uploading a picture, but trust me ...

Maelstrom Arena. The Final Round boss in stage 1 is almost dead. Then it freezes (sound still going), then I click the mouse, and I get the error "ESO is not responding" and I have to close the program or wait for it to respond (which it never does). When I log back in, I'm dead in the arena -- if I res there, the final round starts again -- with the same results ...

Brand new, very high on the ladder, gaming laptop (much better than I deserve).

EVERY time, same place. And ONLY here. In the entire game ... nowhere else. No other game or anything else. This is a BUG.

Earlier I submitted ticket #200729-009476 and got, basically, "try making sure your internet is working."
    Just now I submitted ticket #200808-008249.

PLEASE, either fix this or just give me a **** Maelstrom Bow and I'll stop whining about this.

hah, let me guess...vMA, no? I've the exact same problem as you.

Try Normal...it seems to work for me. Well, at least up until the final boss (of the entire Arena) and it's flying skulls, which always freezes for me as well :P
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 8, 2020 10:12PM
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    Nope. Normal, first boss.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    And just my luck, they’ll fix it so I can get past the first guy then it will happen again on the last one ...
  • WastedJoker
    WastedJoker
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting random massive ping spikes. It's been most noticable in Imperial City Prison but it's happening randomly in other dungeons too.

Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll!
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last throw of the dice, maybe...?

Check GPU temperature and voltages etc, if possible run any monitor you have in the background and log the outputs. If nothing else it may eliminate that as possible source of issues or identify any spikes in temperature etc that suggest making configuration adjustments to your graphics card.

free gpu-z graphics monitor/logger.

I know that's kind of passing the buck back to the player(s) but if you luck out and it's something as simple as this and adjustable then great.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    Souterain wrote: »

Check GPU temperature and voltages etc, if possible run any monitor you have in the background and log the outputs. If nothing else it may eliminate that as possible source of issues or identify any spikes in temperature etc that suggest making configuration adjustments to your graphics

Hopefully that will work for WastedJoker (sincerely). But unless the first Maelstrom Arena boss has some kind of amazing, invisible, fire meta-attack that can reach through the internet... then I’m gonna spare myself those steps. Thanks, though.
    Edited by Maeandros on August 9, 2020 6:20PM
  • Greyshade
    Greyshade
    Soul Shriven
    I've updated my BIOS to the latest stable version and still no improvement.

Managed to get a screenshot of the game after it froze (so this is in the frozen state): http://www.greyshade.co.uk/misc/crash.png

So far I've been met with a total lack of response to both my in-game ticket (200728-006422) and this thread.

Again, this is an easily reproducible bug, clearly being experienced by a number of players (and I suspect a substantial number more than are represented in this thread).

ZoS: Come on! There is absolutely no excuse for a total lack of response on something which is obviously a bug. All that would be needed is a "yep, we see the problem and we're working on it". If I don't see a fix, or at the very least, a response before my next subs are due, you won't be getting them.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest to ignore the guys trying to save the world by posting tech solutions out of nowhere. Those freezes are a game issue, period.

Unless freezes, crashes and graphic corruption happens on ALL your games, chances are that it's not your hardware's fault.

(Thou do be sure to have updated drivers anyway, just in case).
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    I went ahead and started a new thread regarding Maelstrom Arena.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/541287/maelstrom-arena-freeze-bug/p1?new=1

Dovakhan and Greyshade -- can you do me a favor and post in that thread with ticket #s? I figure if they get enough complaints for a single, localized issue, then maybe they'll address it. And then maybe they'll address this problem in other areas.
  • Maeandros
    Maeandros
    WOW. This seems to be resolved, actually. (I'll test more after work.)

Got past the first guy finally!
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Don't call it a victory just yet. I don't have any crashes in the first boss on Normal, but I do have them on Vet.

Likewise, I managed to beat the final boss of the arena once without crashes, but now apparently it's impossible for me to do so, even after trying 5 times straight.

Anyway, gonna post in your thread, too. The more we pester Zenimax with this matter, the more chances we have of them actually doing something. Although I hope that U27 and the new memory manager fixes this.
    Edited by Dovakhan on August 10, 2020 6:11PM