Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[6.1.0] Combat Physician Set - shielding reduced to less than half

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
First Iceheart, now this. Yet another nerf to solo players. SMH.
Unlike most other shields, it doesn't Shield when the target (e.g., yourself when you are solo and have heals-over-time only on yourself with various skills) is at full health so it can't pre-emptively shield anyone. Did this really need such a massive adjustment?

From 6.1.0 patch notes:
Combat Physician: Reduced the shield size of this set to 4308, down from 9506. The cooldown is now per target, rather than overall.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 16, 2020 12:48PM
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% true. As a single target 8.5k shield I had some usage for this set. It was a flexible support/defense set with good offensive stat bonuses. As a multi target 4.2 shield it is just bad. Probably the worst set re-work of this patch.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I also am baffled. After all the massive shield and Iceheart nerfs,
    this was left as my favorite PvE self-shield-set on Magicka.
    Now it will become USELESS FOR SOLO PLAY :/

Edited by BalticBlues on July 16, 2020 10:00AM
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also am baffled.
    This was my favorite self-heal-set on Magicka chars.
    Now it will become USELESS FOR SOLO PLAY.

Useless for group play as well. Why not just use Winter's Respite?
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just use Winter's Respite?
    Too stationary and not useful in dynamic places as vMA.

After shields were halved and Iceheart was gutted,
    without CombatPhysician I do not know how my LA magchars can master vMA.

• Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, 2 sec inside Winter's Respite is stronger that the shield value. vMA is a solo example, as a self defense set, 4.5 shield every 6 sec does not worth it. Even the new Prayer Shawl is better for that(for toons with hots).
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, as a trial healer I am extremely happy with combat physician change to being it per target. ZoS was after defensive support sets lately so finally we get something. Being a support is not always about Zen's and Martial Knowledge and other dps improving bs, progression groups could talk on that with us. Defensive sets have much bigger value in progression groups with limited coordination than dps boosting sets.

Well changed, much appreciated! Will definitely find use to it.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on July 16, 2020 10:45AM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, 2 sec inside Winter's Respite is stronger that the shield value. vMA is a solo example, as a self defense set, 4.5 shield every 6 sec does not worth it. Even the new Prayer Shawl is better for that(for toons with hots).

By changing the proc conditions on both, they essentially made the 5-piece bonus the same for Combat Physician and Prayer Shawl -- EXCEPT Prayer Shawl can preemptively shield once you overheal but Combat Physician still waits for you to take damage first.

Not entirely sure which is better. Depends on how rough the content is I guess.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, as a trial healer I am extremely happy with combat physician change to being it per target. ZoS was after defensive support sets lately so finally we get something. Being a support is not always about Zen's and Martial Knowledge and other dps improving bs, progression groups could talk on that with us. Defensive sets have much bigger value in progression groups with limited coordination than dps boosting sets.

They could have made a new set for the small-shield large-group option and kept this set as a large-shield small-group/solo option. Every quarter they crunch out piles of new sets anyway.
    This is a DUNGEON set so large shield/small group is appropriate.
    If they want a Trial set with small shield/large group, then put a new set designed for that in a TRIAL.

Besides, with the Iceheart nerf it seemed like they didn't like large groups wearing too much Iceheart. Now they're going to give a single person the ability to give everyone in the group a little bit of Iceheart shielding? Or both healers for an average cooldown of 3 seconds between shields? Or combo Combat Physician and Prayer Shawl in the same group so overhealed or underhealed, shields for everyone?

If it's not very good then they've wrecked a set for nothing by changing it's focus too much.
    If it's actually very good they're gonna nerf it into the ground next and it'll be useless for everyone.
    If ZOS wants to run experiments on group shielding, then they should make a new set.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 16, 2020 1:09PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As an intermediate solution to completely switching this set from single-target shielding to group shielding, they could scale the shield according to the group size:
    - Bigger groups get smaller per-person shielding.
    - Smaller groups/solo get more shielding.
    - No one outside a group gets any shielding.
    None of these would require much on-the-fly calculations since group sizes are unlikely to constantly change.
    If the concept is sound and there is interest, maybe limit the downscaling on Combat Physician and make a new set specifically for large groups with limited up-scaling of the shield for smaller groups.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 17, 2020 12:59AM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

They could have made a new set for the small-shield large-group option and kept this set as a large-shield small-group/solo option. Every quarter they crunch out piles of new sets anyway.
    If they want a Trial set with small shield/large group, then put a new set designed for that in a TRIAL.

Besides, with the Iceheart nerf it seemed like they didn't like large groups wearing too much Iceheart. Now they're going to give a single person the ability to give everyone in the group a little bit of Iceheart shielding? Or both healers for an average cooldown of 3 seconds between shields? Or combo Combat Physician and Prayer Shawl in the same group so overhealed or underhealed, shields for everyone?

If it's not very good then they've wrecked a set for nothing by changing it's focus too much.
    If it's actually very good they're gonna nerf it into the ground next and it'll be useless for everyone.
    If ZOS wants to run experiments on group shielding, then they should make a new set.

Prayer has 2 second cooldown now which seems to be overall cd and not per target (I've seen people who actualy tested the set claiming this, I haven't tested this myself) meaning that unlike combat physician, you can't apply shield to 12 players in an instant. 1 person recieving a 5k shield every 2 seconds is just a stronger and much more practical Lunar Bastion. But the function from Combat Physician appears to entirely different.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to the guy who tried to convince everyone Combat Physician was the best set ever? I really want to hear his opinion on this! :*
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Darkblade_305
    100% Agree with you @Dusk_Coven

How I said in my treat: "Do you want a set that works like this, the new Combat Physician? Well, what I find most consistent is that they implement it new, without making changes to the current one, which is already a useful set."
    Edited by Darkblade_305 on August 1, 2020 12:28PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I currently use the set on live but it feels underwhelming. It is very good for solo, but when you run it on a healer in a group, you notice how weak it is. It does not always apply to allies who need it the most, totally random. But now it can be applied on everyone.
    Edited by universal_wrath on August 1, 2020 2:34PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thwre is a trial shielding set, probably strongest one of all after they buffed it. Check out the new changes to lunar bations. I could almost say it is hands down best damage shields set for groups, but it is stationary.

Also, if you have a healer wearing combat physicain or prayer shawle, you don't have to wear iceheart and you can use offensive monster set instead.
    Edited by universal_wrath on August 1, 2020 2:40PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree, I currently use the set on live but it feels underwhelming. It is very good for solo, but when you run it on a healer in a group, you notice how weak it is. It does not always apply to allies who need it the most, totally random. But now it can be applied on everyone.
    Also, if you have a healer wearing combat physicain or prayer shawle, you don't have to wear iceheart and you can use offensive monster set instead.

This is what's going to happen now:
    They give a single person the ability to shield everyone and let them remove their Iceheart Monster set for an offensive set... and you don't think ZOS's next move is to nerf it into the ground?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 1, 2020 3:20PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They give a single person the ability to shield everyone and let them remove their Iceheart Monster set for an offensive set... and you don't think ZOS's next move is to nerf it into the ground?

You still have the option to run ice heart, and it is still bis for solo. Also, not every healer will be running combat physician or prayer shawle. Many healers are still stuck with zen, martial knowledge, olo, and other support sets. Many options for healers to use depening on content, ice heart will still be invaluable.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You still have the option to run ice heart, and it is still bis for solo. Also, not every healer will be running combat physician or prayer shawle. Many healers are still stuck with zen, martial knowledge, olo, and other support sets. Many options for healers to use depening on content, ice heart will still be invaluable.

Right -- So it might be so unattractive that too few people want to use it -- now making it worthless for everyone.
    Right now with a strong single shield, it has a niche and people are using it.
    The change might make it so that those people won't use it anymore, and the intended large-group people won't use it either.

If they want to experiment, make a new set. Don't wreck a set that people have found a use for and are actively using it by trying to change the type of people who use it.

If this set is even remotely comparable to Lunar Bastion -- which you have to get in a trial -- it will be destroyed by nerfs for sure. Combat Physician is in a baby dungeon a lot of people can just solo on Normal.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 1, 2020 4:02PM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe ZOS doesn't like the way people are using it and want it to be more of a healer/support set. Assuming that's their intention, which seems reasonable, this is a good change.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on August 1, 2020 4:03PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right -- So it might be so unattractive that too few people want to use it -- now making it worthless for everyone.
    Right now with a strong single shield, it has a niche and people are using it.
    The change might make it so that those people won't use it anymore, and the intended large-group people won't use it either.

If they want to experiment, make a new set. Don't wreck a set that people have found a use for and are actively using it by trying to change the type of people who use it.

If this set is even remotely comparable to Lunar Bastion -- which you have to get in a trial -- it will be destroyed by nerfs for sure. Combat Physician is in a baby dungeon a lot of people can just solo on Normal.

Iceheart still attrative in its own way, so is the combat physicain. Ice heart needs a critical damage to proc which is fairly easy and combat physicain need a critical heal, both are fairly easy to proc. Wearing Iceheart means one can wear 5 pieces set to be on full offense, likewise wearing combat physician result in wearing an offensive monster set.

Lunar bation revemp is not as good as combat physicain changes of iceheart. Lunar is far bettee than those 2 but it does not move to player and this can be major drawback.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a massive buff for its intended purpose of being a healer set... that goes for both dungeons and trials.

Combat Physician could maybe get a bigger tooltip but overall this is great. I can see it having some use in a Stamina DPS trial group, whereas a Magicka DPS trial group would likely stick to Gossamer.

One change that could be interesting is do something like a 3K shield with a 2sec or 3sec cooldown.... that would help it keep a high uptime and definitely compete with other powerful defensive sets.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whatever happened to the guy who tried to convince everyone Combat Physician was the best set ever? I really want to hear his opinion on this! :*

xD

Oh, the laughs... we were happy and we didn't know it xD
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a huge buff to the set, not a nerf! Still not strong, but it becomes viable in easier content. For solo it was not good anyway. A monster set for shield, okay, but wasting a 5-piece? There are stronger defensive solo sets out there.

Still, other support sets getting a nerf next patch. Gossamer is an example.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He made a new forum account bc he got banned.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Why?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »
    This is a huge buff to the set, not a nerf! Still not strong, but it becomes viable in easier content. For solo it was not good anyway. A monster set for shield, okay, but wasting a 5-piece? There are stronger defensive solo sets out there.

Read the earlier comments and the thread title. People were using Combat Physician for solo content. Now it's going to be useless because shield is going to be less than half. They won't have any more solo options. Iceheart got nerfed for no reason, now Combat Physician is getting nerfed too into a different focus.
    They should make a different set to do their group shield experiment instead.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on August 2, 2020 1:42PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caperb wrote: »

Read the earlier comments and the thread title. People were using Combat Physician for solo content. Now it's going to be useless because shield is going to be less than half. They won't have any more solo options. Iceheart got nerfed for no reason, now Combat Physician is getting nerfed too into a different focus.
    They should make a different set to do their group shield experiment instead.

Some people might be upset, but most people only started using combat physicain for solo after ice heart nerf. I have been using the set for over 3 years now on my healer. The set was designed for support and I have been using as intended. I say that if people want a set for solo there is whitestrake redistrbution, or better use a damage shields skill or the revamped imperium set. Imperium has far better shield size than combat phyaician. I believe combat physicain got the rework it need it, though shield size should be somewhere 5-6k.
    First Iceheart, now this. Yet another nerf to solo players. SMH.
    Unlike most other shields, it doesn't Shield when the target (e.g., yourself when you are solo and have heals-over-time only on yourself with various skills) is at full health so it can't pre-emptively shield anyone. Did this really need such a massive adjustment?

From 6.1.0 patch notes:
    Combat Physician: Reduced the shield size of this set to 4308, down from 9506. The cooldown is now per target, rather than overall.

How the set rework align with its name, combat physician. You need to be damaged to be shielded.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

Who cares, really.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So many happy supports about this change is absolutely worth some upset individuals.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat don't look that great, but in the other hand I'll give a try to Prayer Shawl.
    Doesn't matter if the amount of shield is a bit low if you can made it proc again and again.

Can be good in some situation.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is feeling more and more like going to your favorite ice cream shop to find all the flavors have been changed to vanilla. Standards may look good on a spreadsheet and be mathematically satisfying...but they are a lousy source of entertainment. Sometimes I think they won't be content until the entire combat system has been reduced to utter boredom. "Fun" has become the antithesis of development. Nothing this group does surprises me anymore. What a shame.