The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Class Rep] Vampire Feedback Thread

• 1337VV4ff135
    1337VV4ff135
    ✭✭✭
    This vampire overhaul would have been a wonderful time to introduce Major Lifesteal into the game, and Blood Frenzy would have been an ideal skill introduce it with.

If you want to have a toggle skill skill cost health/sec while preventing us from being healed by anyone but ourselves, that's
    fine--just make our attacks heal for x/sec when dealing damage and cap the health cost of keeping the ability toggled.

If "Blood Frenzy ticks all the boxes of what it means to be a vampire" by turning the character into a self-destructive beast, then have it operate mechanically similar to Werewolf; Do you want to keep the ability on without dying? Keep dealing damage!
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This vampire overhaul would have been a wonderful time to introduce Major Lifesteal into the game, and Blood Frenzy would have been an ideal skill introduce it with.

If you want to have a toggle skill skill cost health/sec while preventing us from being healed by anyone but ourselves, that's
    fine--just make our attacks heal for x/sec when dealing damage and cap the health cost of keeping the ability toggled.

If "Blood Frenzy ticks all the boxes of what it means to be a vampire" by turning the character into a self-destructive beast, then have it operate mechanically similar to Werewolf; Do you want to keep the ability on without dying? Keep dealing damage!

That ironically would be enough to make me slot it. The the health cost increasing every second, it's just suicide to even try to use it aside from cheesing dummy parses or ganking. I still don't understand how anyone thinks this ticks all the boxes of what it means to be a vampire. :#
    Edited by Sephyr on June 9, 2020 1:27PM
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing on my vampire magNB in PvP for about a week since the patch and man alive are these changes a mixed bag.

Having a health-cost spammable is very cool except that as a vampire, magNB in non-CP PvP you have basically no way to counteract the constant draining of your health from its use. Now, some of that is the ill-considered impact of the additional healing nerf in non-CP but the skill could be made much more actually usable if it restored a percentage of the damage done to the enemy to your health. Frankly, I'm amazed that it doesn't as the effect would be quite vampiric. What others have said about having a ranged morph would also be nice.

Lack of a gap-closer is also quite noticeable. MagNBs have Lotus Fan, but other classes don't (like my vampire magSorc, magWarden) and in any case I would choose a vampire gap-closer over a class option to keep with the vampire theme.

Blood Frenzy is not really a usable skill in non-CP outside of mindless gank builds, the health cost is simply far too high. To actually get use from it, your build has to stack hard into the Prismatic Ability Cost Reduction glyphs and likely Heavy Armor as well. That is simply far too much pigeon-holing just to use a skill. In a world where Thrassian Stranglers exist, this skill somehow feels more risky to use in combat and it only gives a fraction of the damage of Stranglers.

For Hypnosis, the vision cone is comically small and you usually have to cast it twice to reach the effectiveness of a simple Turn Evil cast. Strongly agree that 360 degrees should be the default and that some additional utility should be placed on the morphs.

Mist Form is... unreliable. Random things in combat break it and it often seems like a dice-roll as to whether or not it will fulfill its role as a survival or breaching tool.

Finally though, the passives are still fantastic. MagNBs clearly get the most use from the Cloak damage buff and the invisibility while running is unsurpassed for open-world escapes and for mundane things like running through delves for Skyshards.

Overall, there's a ton of missed potential in the skill line and it could be amazing with a few minor tweaks.
  • Daemon_689
    Daemon_689
    Soul Shriven
    Long time vampire here, and I think the largest let down to this update is simply this. Vampire used to be something that you could put onto most playstyles and not have to worry too much about it, for stamina, magicka, or anything else. So for the most part you could be an effective warrior or caster with it. Now..... Magicka seems to be your best bet, and stamina is about out the window. The increased cost to other non vamp abilities make it so that stamina cannot use vampire effectively, and gain almost no benefit from it. There seems to be some support to the idea of a stam vampire, but with drain and scion giving only some minor boost to stamina and everything costing magicka and scaling from it, stamina just goes out the window. If the idea of vampires is to make it magicka, then why even bother adding these options to the set-up?

Also with invisibility abound in many ways, and many other passives being very useless, I don't see why the increased cost to other non vampire abilities. I could see this if the stages past 3 granted many strong abilities or passives, but you they are not that great. Also the 100% healing loss just seems odd..... I think a 90-95% reduction would be fine so that in combat its basically neutered, but at least with a few moments out of combat you can heal up to full. Just seems silly when even the intro quest line NPCs talk about the amazing self regen ability of vampires, but in practice at stage 4 we have none.

Lastly..... Stage 4 makes it so NPCs don't talk to you..... But why does everyone know what stage I am at? Does my helmet and coverings do nothing? Just feels weird that on top of what feels like a limiting debuff to vamps especially to stamina users, we also now have nonsensical RP reasons to ruin overall questing mechanics and basic function of gameplay (Like stables, stores, and the like). Either make it so helmets block it, or just get rid of it. Its just silly.

Also if magicka is the way to vampires in the future, do you think we could get a magicka based melee weapon and skill line? Maybe claws that act as stam or magicka? I think everyone would love that.
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭

I’m all for the major life steal although the Sated Fury morph that I use heals for 33% of them total health cost spent at the end of use. Major life steal would still be great especially on simmering frenzy which makes it worth keeping it toggled on to maximize damage out put. It would also help combat dying from the skill because the lag sometimes stops it from untoggling even after you’ve pressed the button.

I also think anyone who says playing vamp gimps their damage is most definitely not using it right. You have an extra 960 spell/wep dmg to give yourself on command. I’m touching 4K spell damage fully buffed on my vamp. It’s easy to build over 4k damage builds on stam, but mag is different so I love the fact that I can do that now.

Vamp has been re worked into a play style you have to synergize with now so you can’t just use it for the passives anymore. A lot of people don’t like that but that’s literally what people asked for on these forums.

Main pain points would be

1. when taking damage mist form doesn’t activate right away often times and elusive mist is useless because people can literally sprint and stay in range with you.
    2. Rework the drain and add a ranged morph for the vamp spammable.
  • Paradisius
    Paradisius
    ✭✭✭✭
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    I also think anyone who says playing vamp gimps their damage is most definitely not using it right. You have an extra 960 spell/wep dmg to give yourself on command. I’m touching 4K spell damage fully buffed on my vamp. It’s easy to build over 4k damage builds on stam, but mag is different so I love the fact that I can do that now.

There is some truth in their statements, imo. Sure in 1~5 second bursts Frenzy is an amazing tool (assuming you dont get cced) but in long fights the weapon/spell damage isnt worth upkeeping. Lets assume for a moment that under ideal conditions and not putting yourself too low to die to a rock being thrown at you, on a parse dummy that translates to 50~60% uptime. On paper 50% uptime on high spell/weapon damage seems great right? well..it ends up being the same as just using a dot instead.

sXdhyfc.png
    yvCj2gY.png

Now of course, this discrepancy can vary on the class, but I would argue that it would more or less stay the same, be a marginal increase, or be a marginal decrease versus slotting a dot. Now imo, having to play seasaw with my health while also worrying about a real fight, I would want a much more impactful result than just "roughly the same".

If we talk pvp then thats really where this ability can shine, but against, extreme risk even with sated. If you get cced or miss your burst window, you are nearly dead yourself for no reward. Overall its a matter of not gimping your damage, but breaking even in most cases while being extremely risky to use, the reward is nowhere close to impactful as the risk is.
    Edited by Paradisius on June 16, 2020 5:46PM
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Paradisius wrote: »

There is some truth in their statements, imo. Sure in 1~5 second bursts Frenzy is an amazing tool (assuming you dont get cced) but in long fights the weapon/spell damage isnt worth upkeeping. Lets assume for a moment that under ideal conditions and not putting yourself too low to die to a rock being thrown at you, on a parse dummy that translates to 50~60% uptime. On paper 50% uptime on high spell/weapon damage seems great right? well..it ends up being the same as just using a dot instead.

sXdhyfc.png
    yvCj2gY.png

Now of course, this discrepancy can vary on the class, but I would argue that it would more or less stay the same, be a marginal increase, or be a marginal decrease versus slotting a dot. Now imo, having to play seasaw with my health while also worrying about a real fight, I would want a much more impactful result than just "roughly the same".

If we talk pvp then thats really where this ability can shine, but against, extreme risk even with sated. If you get cced or miss your burst window, you are nearly dead yourself for no reward. Overall its a matter of not gimping your damage, but breaking even in most cases while being extremely risky to use, the reward is nowhere close to impactful as the risk is.

So basically you’re saying in PVE it’s better to apply a DOT which gives similar results in the long run because you can keep it applied without dying. That’s definitely true. But like you said in PVP it can really shine. It’s based on how you build around it though as with anything. I also run a necro and I don’t have access to a class dot that’s actually useful in PVP. I would run degen for the 20% extra SD or 430 which is 20% of my base spell dmg. I’m somewhere around 2150 unbuffed, but sated fury gives me 660 SD combined with leaving mist form for another 300 SD.

Now that gives you some hefty dmg and sated fury’s heal at the end heals more based on how long it was toggled on(34% of the total HP spent)so that increases the amount of time I’m comfortable with leaving it on to lengthen my burst window. I’m still figuring out the best way to arrange my bars and the best combos to use, but entering a fight I’ve been misting to it then using hypnosis right away when people are guaranteed to be facing right at you as they charge you. By the time I hit the stun my BB is done summoning and at that point I hit sated fury so by the time BB hits I have the full 960 SD bonus maybe more if my weapon dmg enchant is procced. I also started running balorghs.

My point is that even if you can only hit that hard for a few seconds at a time I think it’s worth it to be able to laser someone from 100% hp to 0 or at least around 15-20% HP sometimes before they can get outta their stun. Imagine simmering frenzy on a NB with their insane crit out of stealth+300 spell/wep dmg or a templar which can pop frenzy, toppling charge someone into the ground and combo jab them to death in seconds. The burst vamp now provides can get spooky.

However to your point about the frenzy ability being risky it definitely is a risk ESPECIALLY with lag sometimes causing the game to not acknowledge you toggling off the ability. That’s happened to me a few too many times already and it usually leads to death. Aside from lag though I think it comes down to finding out exactly when to use frenzy and how long to leave it on in the heat of battle. A class like necro with lots of mitigation and heals can offset the health cost until you leave it on for a tad too long, and then even the heals at the end of sated fury aren’t enough while your under pressure from a group of players.

Edit: sorry for the long post. All I’m saying is I think we all need more time to learn that skill specifically and overall how to synergize the skill line as a whole with our classes before writing it off. I’m not perfect with it but the potential is there and I like what I see
    Edited by ImSoPro on June 16, 2020 7:32PM
  • Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    All I’m saying is I think we all need more time to learn that skill specifically and overall how to synergize the skill line as a whole with our classes before writing it off. I’m not perfect with it but the potential is there and I like what I see

I think people have had more than enough time to test vampire skills.
    Its great that you found a way to make your vampire work for ganking in PvP, but I don’t see much use in PvE, aside from Blood for Blood and that is really sad.

I tried to make a vampire build work for PvE and you know what I found? As a vampire, I am more powerful, the less I advance through the stages and the fewer vampire skills I use. What I ended up with was a build using blood for blood as a spammable, smiliar to Alcast’s build. Everything else resulted in a massive damage loss (for example based on Frenzy and Jabs while Vamp ult is active and using the Vampire Lord set).

There are several reasons why the vampire skill line is next to useless:
    - There are barely any synergies at all, only drawbacks on top of drawbacks.
    The most important vampire skills aggravate each other’s weaknesses. Reduced health recovery AND increasing(!) health cost of frenzy while unable to be healed by someone else AND a spammable that costs health.
    Now, you could say that we can use other skills, like templar Jabs to work around some of the drawbacks, but using non-vampire skills is penalised with increasing skill cost.
    - The entire concept of sacrificing ones own health for power is mostly unsuitable for PvE. Also, I do not really understand the lore aspect of it. I thought vampires mainly gain power by sucking the life force out of others, not by killing themselves.
    - Frenzy is too risky and makes you a one-shot victim in most PvE content. Also: it is much easier to get the spell damage by using sets that have fewer or no drawbacks.
    Just compare the bonus from frenzy with Molag Kena. As a vampire I have to sacrifice a lot more for a similar buff plus have to deal with the clunky switching the buff on and off.
    - Getting the 300 spell damage from the passive by entering mist form is a bit clunky.
    - In general, vampires become only weaker by advancing stages: to get mostly situational/flavor passives, all drawbacks increase and you only gain some vamp ability cost reduction, which is of little use, because you cannot effectively build for PvE damage using mostly vampire skills.
    - Even at stage 4, the ultimate is too expensive and too short to make enough of a difference. I tried making a build that uses frenzy and Blood for Blood while transformed, but the increased damage while transformed could not make up for the damage loss plus all the drawbacks while not transformed.
    Edited by Kaliki on June 17, 2020 1:19PM
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I just had a nice chat with a newer player. He got rid of vampirism because he couldn't interact with NPCs. =/
    ZOS should put a small hint on the Mesmerize tooltip.
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    All I’m saying is I think we all need more time to learn that skill specifically and overall how to synergize the skill line as a whole with our classes before writing it off. I’m not perfect with it but the potential is there and I like what I see

Its great that you found a way to make your vampire work for ganking in PvP, but I don’t see much use in PvE, aside from Blood for Blood and that is really sad.

I tried to make a vampire build work for PvE and you know what I found? As a vampire, I am more powerful, the less I advance through the stages and the fewer vampire skills I use. What I ended up with was a build using blood for blood as a spammable, smiliar to Alcast’s build. Everything else resulted in a massive damage loss (for example based on Frenzy and Jabs while Vamp ult is active and using the Vampire Lord set).

The most important vampire skills aggravate each other’s weaknesses. Reduced health recovery AND increasing(!) health cost of frenzy while unable to be healed by someone else AND a spammable that costs health.
    Now, you could say that we can use other skills, like templar Jabs to work around some of the drawbacks, but using non-vampire skills is penalised with increasing skill cost.
    - The entire concept of sacrificing ones own health for power is mostly unsuitable for PvE. Also, I do not really understand the lore aspect of it. I thought vampires mainly gain power by sucking the life force out of others, not by killing themselves.
    - Frenzy is too risky and makes you a one-shot victim in most PvE content. Also: it is much easier to get the spell damage by using sets that have fewer or no drawbacks.
    Just compare the bonus from frenzy with Molag Kena. As a vampire I have to sacrifice a lot more for a similar buff plus have to deal with the clunky switching the buff on and off.
    - Getting the 300 spell damage from the passive by entering mist form is a bit clunky.
    - In general, vampires become only weaker by advancing stages: to get mostly situational/flavor passives, all drawbacks increase and you only gain some vamp ability cost reduction, which is of little use, because you cannot effectively build for PvE damage using mostly vampire skills.
    - Even at stage 4, the ultimate is too expensive and too short to make enough of a difference. I tried making a build that uses frenzy and Blood for Blood while transformed, but the increased damage while transformed could not make up for the damage loss plus all the drawbacks while not transformed.

You make some good points and yeah I’ll say the skill line needs to be reworked to be viable in PVE that’s for certain. Right now it’s better suited for PVP I agree. Also while you may have had plenty of time I’m a console player who’s only had access to the new vamp for 7 days now so that was really directed towards console players. I’m still experimenting with different sets and which skills to use. In fact I’d been off ESO for about 2 months prior. I always get bored in the final months leading up to a new chapter.
    Edited by ImSoPro on June 17, 2020 3:54PM
  • Nova_J
    Nova_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »

You make some good points and yeah I’ll say the skill line needs to be reworked to be viable in PVE that’s for certain. Right now it’s better suited for PVP I agree. Also while you may have had plenty of time I’m a console player who’s only had access to the new vamp for 7 days now so that was really directed towards console players. I’m still experimenting with different sets and which skills to use. In fact I’d been off ESO for about 2 months prior. I always get bored in the final months leading up to a new chapter.

The vamp changes are mostly geared towards ganking and bomb builds. Outside of that they kinda suck even in pvp. People using frenzy are easy kills once you cc them, people using mist form cant escape combat because it's too slow now, trying to take advantage of the 300 spell buff when leaving invis or sneak is extremely clunky in the middle of combat. Scion is usable in pvp but it's really only a minor annoyance. Alot of times they just get killed while transforming.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm mainly playing with a Sorcerer Vampire. I'm not a Vet Trial Raider or anything like that, just a plain ol' casual.

Overall, I LIKE the new Vampire. I like the concept of committing to building a Vampire as if it is its own class. I like MOST of the aesthetics of it. I like the feeding animations. I like being able to move at regular speed in stealth. I like the concept of having to feed to grow more powerful. I like the concept of having to BE a Vampire.

However, it isn't perfect. It does not need to be thrown out wholesale and completely redone as many here would scream to high heaven. But changes need to be made.

1)Arterial Burst needs to be ranged. At least 15m. Take away the "auto crit under 50% health" and replace it with Range if need be. no one would miss it. If you are insistent on it being melee, then it needs a better effect, like Cone AOE damage.
    2)Arterial Burst needs a better, more noticeable spell and sound effect. I'm a fan of the "Claw" motif that the Base skill and Blood for Blood have. Just make it bigger and more solid for Arterial Burst. As it stands, Arterial Burst is absolutely unnoticeable, especially when LA Weaving.
    3)Blood for Blood needs to trigger Crystal Frags.
    4)Replace Blood Frenzy with a gap closer. Blood Frenzy is not fun, it does NOT "check all the boxes" for anything. Just get rid of it, and give Vampires a much-needed Gap Closer.
    5)Most will disagree, but I think that if non-Vamp Skills get more expensive with Vamp stages, then our Vamp Skills should gain either more damage or extra effects with Vamp Stages, in addition to costing less. Things like Blood Mist and Mesmerize having an increased radius. Drain gaining the ability to drain Magicka.
    6) If you are absolutely insistent that Vampires HAVE to played at Melee range no matter what, then Vampires need a passive that will allow us to Regenerate Magicka instead of Stamina with Fully Charged Heavy Attacks with melee weapons. OR to Drain Magicka from enemies with Melee LA/HAs. Not a single Vampire you have shown in any Greymoor Advertising has used a staff as far as I remember.
    7)Blood Mist does not do enough damage per tick, imo.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranged version of Blood for Blood please
  • NekoN3ko
    NekoN3ko
    ✭✭✭
    From a PvP perspective, the cost increase made me cure vampirism after 5 years on my MagDK - totally gutted. Favors and enhances other classes where cost is no issue. The fire damage is a great trade off for the sprint invis + increase of SD coming out of it, a must for NBs and even Sorcs.

"I can't play how I wanna play" - I am playing to compensate for what dev thinks is "cool"?
  • Infectious1X
    Infectious1X
    ✭✭✭
    As someone stated earlier with the lack of synergies, Undeath is an amazing and an also ironically mostly useless passive as most vamps committing to stage 3 or above are gankers (as sustain is much less of an issue for them), who make very little use of it as they are meant to avoid attacks entirely. Gankers already have low health and armor and nearly kill themselves with the use of Simmering, so just by looking at them they fall over without even being able to utilize Undeath. Makes no sense to pigeonhole vamps into being gankers, yet have an amazing passive and an ult that doesn’t complement the play-style at all.

Simmering/Sated also looks like it’s almost designed specifically for higher stage vamps, yet is hardly useful. Stage 4 vamps receive huge penalties, so the offset would be with being able to sustain Simmering/Frenzy, yet even they still can’t as it constantly ramps up in cost. Unfortunately, there’s just very little reason to go beyond stage 2 and Simmering/Frenzy are far too risky to use for anyone other than gankers.
    Edited by Infectious1X on June 18, 2020 7:56AM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blood for blood needs both a stamina morph and a range attack for magic builds.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and a friend last night came up with an interesting way to fix vampire drain. Have it deal damage to the target equal to the amount of health you restore. So while Blood Frenzy and Blood for Blood drain health to hurt your foe you can then use vampiric drain to restore health while low, and keep the pressure on them. If you have a really large health pool and got hurt pretty bad the vampiric drain spell with this kind of system would be very rewarding to use.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Me and a friend last night came up with an interesting way to fix vampire drain. Have it deal damage to the target equal to the amount of health you restore. So while Blood Frenzy and Blood for Blood drain health to hurt your foe you can then use vampiric drain to restore health while low, and keep the pressure on them. If you have a really large health pool and got hurt pretty bad the vampiric drain spell with this kind of system would be very rewarding to use.

I would make it more simple: 50% damage dealt is healed. 6k tooltip with a damage build means a nice heal of 3k while also keeping pressure up. With the downside of not being able to do anything besides it, because channel. Uninterruptible, 9m range.
  • Kardrik
    Kardrik
    ✭✭✭
    Top two pain points
    1. There is little to no viable self healing in the vampire skill tree. We have a 3s channel that doesn't stun, is interruptable, and hits like a wet noodle. Blood mist, again can't attack, hits like a wet noodle. Swarming Scion is okay, but thats an ultimate.

This lack of self healing is part of what makes it especially painful to go stage 4, which doesn't even have passive health recovery. So this makes many players feel weaker than human counterparts at stage 4, and especially squishy.

This came to mind when I looked at "Ring of the Pale Order", which is clearly meant for vampires, and it would fix them... but for some reason its outside of the tree? Why is ZoS looking to fix vampirism outside of fixing the actual tree?

2. Stamina characters mostly take penalties by going vampire. There is lots of vampire lore, in ESO and outside, of vampirism augmenting their physical abilities. It would be nice for this to reflect in ESO vampires. It almost looks like this was an option, as Vampiric Drain has a sort of stamina morph (unless that was meant to be a throwaway morph?) or a tank morph.

It would be odd for a tank morph, since with the health recovery penalties and increase to fire damage tanks become squishier by going vamp.

But yea, thats my two pain points. Not enough self healing in the vampire tree, and stamina chars have nothing to gain and sustain to lose when going vamp
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMO take the feedback from all the posts above, find the common denominator and "fix" vampires as a skill line.

NOW also make vampires a CLASS. Call them "Purebloods/Vampire Lord" (changed/created directly by Molag Bal). Do whatever you need to with the skills to make a fun and compelling vampire class. Grey out the vampire/werewolf skill lines. Make the vampire class a purchase option to play the class, like how we had to pay for wardens through morrowind. This pacifies not losing out on crownstore sales from those who purchase the skill lines.

Roll this into a year end update that ties off this year with a bang (I know, classes take time to create, develop, test and implement...you gonna be crunching at home now).

Some basic ideas of skill lines to help get started. I think a good starting point is to use similar abilities from current vampire but make them more "pureblood" in lore (description) and strength.
    • Similar ability to mist form, but turn the vamp into a swarm of bats, make the ability a little more potent.
    • A feed ability that does x damage and returns x health.
    • A sorcerer bolt type ability. Vampire rushes forward through enemy, does bleed damage. Long fast blur animation 20 yards
    • I'd like to see a day night ability, but not something that is + at night and - during the day. Abilities that punish are not as fun as abilities that reward. I was thinking a + to health, mag,stam regen at night, and a + to something else during the day.
    • Stealth/invis ability like nightblade
    • Enhanced Strengh/sight/speed/healing like lore. Sight could allow seeing enemies through walls, seeing their heat/blood signature.
    • Super key distinction between class and skill line. Class should get a Shapeshifting ability (maybe tie into bat/mist ability), and some form of Psychokinesis ability.

I have loved the vampire skill line since my first days in ESO, but its never pulled me in as something I can or want to play daily. The skill line feels like "vampire light". I imagine this last revamp (no pun intended) was to make the skill line more appealing, but it still feels like an addon. Werewolves always felt better in this regard.

So, I obviously do not expect to see this happen. I imagine internally you have already mulled this over to the nth degree. I am just taking the time to write this to give my impression/opinion on the matter from a paying customer perspective.
    Edited by Raideen on September 27, 2020 2:31PM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy with just the skill cost increase removed but it would be very nice if vampire was made fun to play for both magic and stamina builds and at the same time being strong in end game. I want to feel like a vampire while playing it
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    IMO take the feedback from all the posts above, find the common denominator and "fix" vampires as a skill line.

NOW also make vampires a CLASS. Call them "Purebloods/Vampire Lord" (changed/created directly by Molag Bal). Do whatever you need to with the skills to make a fun and compelling vampire class. Grey out the vampire/werewolf skill lines. Make the vampire class a purchase option to play the class, like how we had to pay for wardens through morrowind. This pacifies not losing out on crownstore sales from those who purchase the skill lines.

Roll this into a year end update that ties off this year with a bang (I know, classes take time to create, develop, test and implement...you gonna be crunching at home now).

Some basic ideas of skill lines to help get started. I think a good starting point is to use similar abilities from current vampire but make them more "pureblood" in lore (description) and strength.
    • Similar ability to mist form, but turn the vamp into a swarm of bats, make the ability a little more potent.
    • A feed ability that does x damage and returns x health.
    • A sorcerer bolt type ability. Vampire rushes forward through enemy, does bleed damage. Long fast blur animation 20 yards
    • I'd like to see a day night ability, but not something that is + at night and - during the day. Abilities that punish are not as fun as abilities that reward. I was thinking a + to health, mag,stam regen at night, and a + to something else during the day.
    • Stealth/invis ability like nightblade
    • Enhanced Strengh/sight/speed/healing like lore. Sight could allow seeing enemies through walls, seeing their heat/blood signature.
    • Super key distinction between class and skill line. Class should get a Shapeshifting ability (maybe tie into bat/mist ability), and some form of Psychokinesis ability.

I have loved the vampire skill line since my first days in ESO, but its never pulled me in as something I can or want to play daily. The skill line feels like "vampire light". I imagine this last revamp (no pun intended) was to make the skill line more appealing, but it still feels like an addon. Werewolves always felt better in this regard.

So, I obviously do not expect to see this happen. I imagine internally you have already mulled this over to the nth degree. I am just taking the time to write this to give my impression/opinion on the matter from a paying customer perspective.
    A vampire class would be kinda immersion breaking for me because in the elder scrolls it’s always been a condition that gives you a few new tricks.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on September 27, 2020 9:11PM
  • ManM
    ManM
    ✭✭✭
    The vampire rework makes little sense. It no longer matches the lore at all, so when I'm running around hearing about vampires who are desperate to feed, I don't share that experience at all. I don't feel like I'm going to go insane from lack of blood, which is what Elder Scrolls Lorebooks such as Journal of the Lord Lovidicus indicate: "Entry 8: Two weeks. Two weeks have passed since Luktuv locked me in my quarters. Try as I might, I cannot free myself. I cannot breach the doors! If I don't feed soon, I feel I will go mad." I can't relate at all to the account in the Vampires of Iliac Bay, Ch. 2: "If I did not kill a warm blooded creature once a night and drink its blood, my hunger would gnaw at me, and any wounds I suffered would not heal no matter how much I rested."

So, the experience in ESO is something else entirely. Okay, so it's a new thing. We can have new lore, or nuanced lore, right? Here is the problem, and I'll add some dialog to illustrate:
    How does my thirst influence the gifts you've given me?
    "An excellent question. For many of my children, greater thirst reveals greater power. Starvation makes their hearts boil over—heated by the cursed flames that brought me to new life.
    I have other plans for you, scion."
    What do you mean?
    "Our kind grow more cautious with each passing year. More hesitant. Like great serpents, they feed only once in a great while—barely slaking their thirst for fear of discovery. This displeases me.
    You, child. You will embrace your ravening nature."
    So I will become stronger by feeding?
    "Indeed. By blood, and sorcery, and accursed rite, I proclaim a new breed of evil. You shall wander the shadows of Tamriel like a bottomless vessel—a child of hunger and delight.
    Drink deep from the world, and you shall be rewarded."

To sum up, the problem was that vampires weren't feeding, because they wanted to retain their power, while remaining undiscovered. The fix, as described, was to make it so new fancy vampires would grow stronger by feeding, rather than stronger by starving. However, given the current state of vampire passives and skills, feeding makes you weaker. The feel of playing a vampire does not match any of the lore, including the new lore written to justify the new experience. When I get to stage 4, then fall off a small cliff and can't heal, I don't feel stronger. When I can't sustain any of my rotation, I don't feel stronger. Stage 4 feels feral, which is what I think they were going for, but its a weak feral, not a scary feral.

The thing is... I think one small retcon and a couple skill tweaks would go quite a long way to salvaging the rework, respecting the devs work, while bringing the experience back in line with the lore.
    1. Reverse the feeding stages, again. Stage 4 represents a feral vampire who has lost their identity. Stage 1 represents a vampire that looks more human, and has a limited capacity to act like they used to. Make ESO vampire lore friendly again, and make me drink to avoid devolving into stage 4. Then, give stage 1 a token buff, such as slightly better health regen, to enforce the sense that a well fed vampire does indeed gain some measure of strength. That one change would bring much of the experience back in line with the established lore.
    2. Fix frenzy. Frenzy represents the feral, bestial nature of the vampire coming out. I propose that they change frenzy to boost vampire skill effectiveness at the tradeoff of increasing regular skill resource cost by some prohibitive amount, effectively disabling their use. Perhaps make it a timed skill rather than a toggle, so that I really have to commit to my frenzy. Let frenzy mean that I lose my mind and devolve fully into a feral vampire. Make it scary to have a frenzied vampire in melee range. Morph wise, one can do higher damage, and the other can return a percentage of damage done as health.
    3. Fix drain. Drain is currently one of the most useless skills in the game. As a channeled heal, it's crap. As a damage dealer, it's crap. It doesn't feel like anything more than a waste of a time, really. Being a channel, it's always going to remain bad. However, it could be given some real RP flair if it were given the properties of an execute, doing 300-400% increased damage to low health targets. If I'm a vampire against a weakened target, my drain should be the final act of domination. I'd love to see one morph drain stamina and magicka along with health, while the other one only drains health, but has the stun returned.

I think those three changes would go a long way to salvaging the rework. More than the skill changes, though, I want to see ESO vampirism make sense with respect to the lore again.
  • ParaViking
    ParaViking
    ✭✭✭
    For just a quick start... Remove normal ability costs, and set Stage 4 health regen back to -75%. It will take you about 20 minutes to make vampire genuinely viable. (I would live to be able to take fall damage without having to hit a potion).

The "Cures" for a vampire is having to feed. Work that into a vampire skill cost reduction at higher Stages

At a later time just visit the passives and skills...

The passives are not that bad as they sit now. Maybe just some tweaks here and there.
    -Someone mentioned a while back... No fall damage... that could be interesting in a PVP fight with over aggressive players chasing you... :\ and would be fun...

Most of the skills are not horrible, with exception to the "Blood Frenzy" suicided toggle. Lets face it... Nice try, but "stupid." The other skills are somewhat cool, but just need some tweaking and playing around with... A lot of good suggestions. Just read the posts.
    -Maybe a bleed to Eviscerate, and ranged morph to "Arterial Burst". Maybe a heal over time worked in somewhere.
    -Maybe a tweak to Vampiric Drain of some sort... an interrupt maybe...
    -Stamina players have asked for a gap closer...

Vampire is not a class it is a skill line. No different then any other skill line, and defiantly not a transformation like werewolf. I think this is where people started to go wrong with the new vampire concept.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would be happy with just the skill cost increase removed but it would be very nice if vampire was made fun to play for both magic and stamina builds and at the same time being strong in end game. I want to feel like a vampire while playing it

I want to feel like a vampire when I am playing as well, hence my suggestion that you critiqued as being immersion breaking....even though lore wise what I suggested fits in perfectly (because I was reading lore when I wrote the post).

Playing as a "vampire" will never feel like you are playing as a "vampire", as long as it's an addon to a sorc, or warden, or templar or whatever.

Vampires do not need "professions" in the sense of being a magic user or sword user. They have innate abilities for combat. This is why I suggest vampire as a class, not a skill line.
    Edited by Raideen on September 28, 2020 8:46PM
  • ManM
    ManM
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Playing as a "vampire" will never feel like you are playing as a "vampire", as long as it's an addon to a sorc, or warden, or templar or whatever.

Elder scrolls lore wise, being cursed with vampirism wouldn't make you forget that you are a warden/sorc/whatever unless you didn't drink blood and devolved into a bloodfiend. Zos lore wise, well, vampires were reworked so that drinking blood leaves you pathetic and weak, and contradicts ESO's own in-game explanations. I don't think anyone is going to feel like a vampire until they fix that, regardless.

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The increased skill cost for non-vamp skills is terrible. There is currently no blessing to being a stage one vampire, so why are there so many curses?

Increased skill cost + Reduced health regen + increased fire damage taken + no benefits = WHY EVEN HAVE A STAGE ONE VAMP AT ALL?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The increased skill cost for non-vamp skills is terrible. There is currently no blessing to being a stage one vampire, so why are there so many curses?

Increased skill cost + Reduced health regen + increased fire damage taken + no benefits = WHY EVEN HAVE A STAGE ONE VAMP AT ALL?

Technically you get the old stage 4 buff as the stage 1 buff which is the sneak speed increase and entering sneak faster. Also vampire stuff costs 6% less.... for..... some reason. No idea why that's even a thing since you could just by default set the vampire skills to be cheaper as there isn't such a thing as vampire stage 0.

This all being said I agree the non-vamp cost increase is terrible. There needs to be another stage buff besides the vampire cost decrease to make it worthwhile. Some have suggested increased spell damage on vampire abilities, increased healing taken, and I think maybe even a speed boost could work.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

To gain access to the skills. Too bad they suck hard.
  • ParaViking
    ParaViking
    ✭✭✭
    They really missed the mark. Form a lore and play prospective for sure.

Disappointing for sure, and not much fun to play...