The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tried something new recently. Decided not to go "all in" as a healer and found that I am having more fun doing both healing and damage.

IMG-6e54b19d-0418-43ce-884c-3796b1625930.png

Still getting used to the setup:

5 New Moon Acolyte (Front bar infused inferno)
    5 Bright Throat Roast
    1 Willpower (Back bar defending resto)
    2 Troll King

It's a lot more dangerous than what I'm used to (healing now in light armor), and I definitely need to practice more discipline with spamming Offering.

Quit changing your GT lmao you msgd me and had no clue who it was. I just theorycrafted the ultimate mag build, works for most but great on magblade and magden. I’ll msg you.

Seems very good from what I could see. I still don't see myself trading out Shadowy Disguise for Dark Cloak anytime soon though.

I'm really just happy that I've successfully moved on from Caluurions and I'm now "proc set free"!

What sets are you running? I messed around with Caal, Darloc and Balorg and don’t like it. I don’t want to mess about and want a set to slap on and not worry about gear.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried something new recently. Decided not to go "all in" as a healer and found that I am having more fun doing both healing and damage.

IMG-6e54b19d-0418-43ce-884c-3796b1625930.png

Still getting used to the setup:

5 New Moon Acolyte (Front bar infused inferno)
    5 Bright Throat Roast
    1 Willpower (Back bar defending resto)
    2 Troll King

It's a lot more dangerous than what I'm used to (healing now in light armor), and I definitely need to practice more discipline with spamming Offering.

Quit changing your GT lmao you msgd me and had no clue who it was. I just theorycrafted the ultimate mag build, works for most but great on magblade and magden. I’ll msg you.

Seems very good from what I could see. I still don't see myself trading out Shadowy Disguise for Dark Cloak anytime soon though.

I'm really just happy that I've successfully moved on from Caluurions and I'm now "proc set free"!

What build are you guys talking about?
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    43 pages... HUH?
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    His build is his to share, what I'm in is nothing magical just 5 Spinners, 5 BTB, 2 Slimecraw, backbar Potentates.

I think the last time I tried something like this was when the Spectral Bow proc was not dependable and Rapid Regen wasn't as strong.

Of course if I put this same gear on any other class it would probably out-perform NB but I'm comfortable right now.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually running this, it's pretty bad but fun nonetheless.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=207332

I'm liking my magwarden the best so far this patch, I only do BGs on my magblade when I'm collecting surveys since it's my crafter. It's a good thing MMR reset, I can still do okay some matches vs before MMR reset it was rough. I ran out of mats and transmutation stones to finish the build, most is just what I had lying around that I put something together with.

Despite the sets I'm using I mostly heal, I almost broke 1 million healing one game in THAT setup which is hilarious. I'm digging the disguise and heal setup in a pure glass build, using a heal that drains my health. Probably one of the dumbest things you can do in pvp, but it adds a lot of risk so adds a fun factor.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 26, 2020 11:23PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually going to finish my Necro to 50 the next two days. Still going to play my Magblade though but I see a lot of potential in Magcro.

TBH I wish Darloc Brae worked like this set:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Shadow+Walker+Set
    Edited by brandonv516 on February 27, 2020 1:12AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually going to finish my Necro to 50 the next two days. Still going to play my Magblade though but I see a lot of potential in Magcro.

I’ve seen a couple decent magcros.
    The ones who did well looked pretty straight forward too: keep the pet up that absorbs 10% damage, S&B back bar, be a bit tanky and lure people into beating on you while setting them up for a burst. Sort of like a DK.

I’ve switched factions again so am back to having all mag classes except magnecro, I don’t have a lot of experience with them.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 27, 2020 1:15AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

The ones who did well looked pretty straight forward too: keep the pet up that absorbs 10% damage, S&B back bar, be a bit tanky and lure people into beating on you while setting them up for a burst. Sort of like a DK.

I’ve switched factions again so am back to having all mag classes except magnecro, I don’t have a lot of experience with them.

Yeah this guy makes it work really well:

https://xbox-clips.com/Wurdawoozlewznt/
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

on pc you'll be dead in 2 secs with that setup: bs, succession and necro w/ or without harmony

magcros are trash, even worse than magblades
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

on pc you'll be dead in 2 secs with that setup: bs, succession and necro w/ or without harmony

magcros are trash, even worse than magblades

I have no idea what’s best for magcro, but after trying different classes I was prettt shocked at what you can get away with after playing a magblade. Being able to burst heal yourself and going max stats for stronger healing is good.

I run Necro + BTB + Zaan as a MagWarden, it worked on my Breton and it works a little better on my Nord.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interested in trying the new stacks monster set. If you fear then apply 5th stack it should be un-dodgeable proc stronger than caluurions
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Interested in trying the new stacks monster set. If you fear then apply 5th stack it should be un-dodgeable proc stronger than caluurions

Same, seems like a good set for magden and magblades. Only issue will be needing to do PvE. I don’t dread getting the helm, it’s farming the shoulders I’m not looking forward to.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Could probably include updated Galerion's set too:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Galerion's+Revenge+Set
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Could probably include updated Galerion's set too:

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Galerion's+Revenge+Set
    Tested that set a bit on pts. Dmg isn't bad and its interesting synergy with merciless, but the problem with the stacks is they are per target. Not always handy unless you only 1v1 or Xv1.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same, seems like a good set for magden and magblades. Only issue will be needing to do PvE. I don’t dread getting the helm, it’s farming the shoulders I’m not looking forward to.

I got lucky and got impen heavy shoulders on 3rd box. Need to get myself a medium helm but can run 5/0/2 for the meantime.

Going to test it over the weekend, currently I wear Zaan and while it's obviously good, being limited to melee doesn't always work out with avoiding AoEs to cloak
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I got lucky and got impen heavy shoulders on 3rd box. Need to get myself a medium helm but can run 5/0/2 for the meantime.

Going to test it over the weekend, currently I wear Zaan and while it's obviously good, being limited to melee doesn't always work out with avoiding AoEs to cloak

Yea, plus I’m convinced some people run a script to knock you back as soon as Zaan procs. A lot of times I’ll be knocked back before the animation even appears. Happens too often to be just quick reactions, and I run Zaan on my magden brawler so it’s not like people are just knocking me back as soon as cloak breaks.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 28, 2020 3:26PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sets where you need to land 5 consecutive LAs on the same target are pretty bad in BGs in my experience. I was excited to get Kjalnar's Nightmare last week & golded it out, only to switch right back to Zann after it not proccing even once in 2 BGs — if you want an offensive set, I still think Zaan is one of the best. Kjalnar would probably be great in duels, (and possibly to a lesser extent in Cyrodiil) but in hectic BGs the only benefit you're really going to see in most cases is the 129 spell damage from the 1 piece bonus.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been running Destro / resto b/c melee magblade has been in the gutter, but I keep really really wanting to run melee & have it be a thing again!

So I’m thinking of seeing how much damage I can pump out while still committing to impen trait. I’ve been wearing new moon with willpower, if I were to get my pen from onslaught what ideas does everyone think for sets & how much damage is really capable?
    Also I’m not a fan of elemental weapon so I probably won’t use that.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    I’ve been running Destro / resto b/c melee magblade has been in the gutter, but I keep really really wanting to run melee & have it be a thing again!

So I’m thinking of seeing how much damage I can pump out while still committing to impen trait. I’ve been wearing new moon with willpower, if I were to get my pen from onslaught what ideas does everyone think for sets & how much damage is really capable?

If you intend to rely entirely on onslaught for penetration you might be able to get away with Pelinal's/Clever Alchemist/Kena or Balorgh w/infused weapon damage jewelry in medium, or you could go with all spell damage in heavy, especially if you're running Dark Cloak instead of Shadowy Disguise. I particularly like the idea of running medium for the [up to] 25% increase in sprint speed (although you'd be missing out on the spell critical from running 5 light in either scenario.) Neither of those would work with my playstyle as it's pretty inefficient & the mag regen wouldn't be enough, but it may work for you. You could try running light, but I feel like your resistances would just be way too low to be able to play melee effectively. There's really no great solution I don't think, tbh.

Do you have the PTS installed? That would be the easiest & cheapest way for you to decide if any of those setups would work for you.

[edit] You could also consider doing a hybrid melee/ranged build, where you Lotus Fan in & hit them with Onslaught, then Shade back out & take them out from range. In that case, you could do all light & just go max spell damage or max mag (BTB or Crafty/Necropotence/1 Domi/1 Grothdarr/Mage Mundus will give you ~60k magicka) so you can keep the spell critical.
    Edited by Langeston on February 28, 2020 8:35PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »

If you intend to rely entirely on onslaught for penetration you might be able to get away with Pelinal's/Clever Alchemist/Kena or Balorgh w/infused weapon damage jewelry in medium, or you could go with all spell damage in heavy, especially if you're running Dark Cloak instead of Shadowy Disguise. I particularly like the idea of running medium for the [up to] 25% increase in sprint speed (although you'd be missing out on the spell critical from running 5 light in either scenario.) Neither of those would work with my playstyle as it's pretty inefficient & the mag regen wouldn't be enough, but it may work for you. You could try running light, but I feel like your resistances would just be way too low to be able to play melee effectively. There's really no great solution I don't think, tbh.

Do you have the PTS installed? That would be the easiest & cheapest way for you to decide if any of those setups would work for you.

[edit] You could also consider doing a hybrid melee/ranged build, where you Lotus Fan in & hit them with Onslaught, then Shade back out & take them out from range. In that case, you could do all light & just go max spell damage or max mag (BTB or Crafty/Necropotence/1 Domi/1 Grothdarr/Mage Mundus will give you ~60k magicka) so you can keep the spell critical.

I don’t have room for PTS atm.
    Not planning on running pelinials.
    I can have some pen from 5 light but just wondering about a bit of a gank build so kena might not work as it requires 2 light attacks & clever alch requires you to be in combat first I thought.

Has anyone tested this:
    Scathing Mage:
    This set no longer considers the first tick of each Damage over Time as Direct Damage.
    This set no longer requires Critical Strikes to proc.
    Reduced the duration and cooldown to 5 seconds from 6 seconds.

If you proc’d Scathing off a heavy attack from stealth would this be a thing?
    Scathing + new moon could be a good bit of dmg
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I can have some pen from 5 light but just wondering about a bit of a gank build so kena might not work as it requires 2 light attacks & clever alch requires you to be in combat first I thought.

Has anyone tested this:
    Scathing Mage:
    This set no longer considers the first tick of each Damage over Time as Direct Damage.

If you want to setup a gank build I’d stick with something similar to Fred’s build: Caluurion + new proc monster set + BTB/Darloc.

I tested scathing mage as a magplar and didn’t like it, the uptime was low and that’s with sweeps hitting 4x per second. Magplars should have the highest chance to proc it.

Melee sucks on magblade because of aoe spam for cloak blades and lack of self healing/mitigation for dark cloak builds. Almost every stam is running onslaught or leap, so a magblade will get eaten up trying melee.

I run Caluurion on mine as a healer/dps and it works okayish. I basicly heal and then when my ult’s up I kite over my trap - meteor - cloak up - and go for a Caluurion proc. I don’t even use soul harvest, I’m too squishy and melee range is a risk every time I get close for Caluurion.

These days with dizzy stunning, onslaught, etc... I try not to melee as a magplar, and that’s a class with far better self healing and defense.
    Edited by Iskiab on February 28, 2020 9:00PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this:
    Scathing Mage:

If you want to setup a gank build I’d stick with something similar to Fred’s build: Caluurion + new proc monster set + BTB/Darloc.

I tested scathing mage as a magplar and didn’t like it, the uptime was low and that’s with sweeps hitting 4x per second. Magplars should have the highest chance to proc it.

Melee sucks on magblade because of aoe spam for cloak blades and lack of self healing/mitigation for dark cloak builds. Almost every stam is running onslaught or leap, so a magblade will get eaten up trying melee.

I run Caluurion on mine as a healer/dps and it works okayish. I basicly heal and then when my ult’s up I kite over my trap - meteor - cloak up - and go for a Caluurion proc. I don’t even use soul harvest, I’m too squishy and melee range is a risk every time I get close for Caluurion.

These days with dizzy stunning, onslaught, etc... I try not to melee as a magplar, and that’s a class with far better self healing and defense.

Idk how I feel about darloc yet.
    But I have a combo in mind I’m going to try out.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this:
    Scathing Mage:

Idk how I feel about darloc yet.
    But I have a combo in mind I’m going to try out.

Same, I’m not sure about it either. It’s a lot of micro management which takes your focus away from your environment (awareness). I play primarily BGs too so it’s not like I have the option of staying in stealth forever if I want my team to win.

As a solo ganker it might be better I’m not sure. Healing doesn’t breakk crouching on the one hand, on the other as a ganker it’ll make sure you go into ganks at full resources. I think the stamina and magicka return is equivalent 1200 mag/stam regen so stealth becomes free which is nice, plus it’s equivalent to 1600 health regen.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this:
    Scathing Mage:

For ganking, (at least, such as it is possible right now on a magblade) BIS is Balorgh with New Moon/Spell Strat, Spinner's/New Moon, or Spinner/Spell Strat — they all work better than any proc set in my experience. You won't be getting as many immediate kills as you used to though, and you won't be able to do it [well] on a melee magblade — you just lose too much damage.

Right now, a Necro harmony bomber is a far better ganker than NB ever was, sadly.

As far as Darloc, I ran that months ago on my stamblade (and then later, magblade.) It was fun and it's nice for stamblades that want to play a "pseudo-permacloak" build, (it's actually because of playing with Darloc that I made the move to magblade in the first place) but it's sub-optimal for anything else, especially on a magblade — you lose too much offensive potential with it. Spinner's/Bright-Throat's is still probably the best all around combo for BGs. I always wind up gravitating back to it.
    Edited by Langeston on February 29, 2020 12:50AM
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cloak feels even less reliable this patch, bleh.

Not really sure what to run these days. I miss the melee magblade playstyle. Most things I try seem too squishy to manage these days. Has anyone tried heavy magblade? Something like shackle/btb/zaan in heavy maybe with a 2h?
    edit: nma would be nice in place of shackle there, but I feel like sustain would be an issue...
    Edited by mav1234 on March 7, 2020 7:17AM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »

Not really sure what to run these days. I miss the melee magblade playstyle. Most things I try seem too squishy to manage these days. Has anyone tried heavy magblade? Something like shackle/btb/zaan in heavy maybe with a 2h?
    edit: nma would be nice in place of shackle there, but I feel like sustain would be an issue...

Haven’t tried it, but I was thinking of trying it but run into the problems designing it as a magblade.

There really isn’t a good source of major sorcery or prophesy in the class toolkit so you can’t run tri-pots, plus mag in general don’t have reliable self healing which makes it hard to brawl.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t tried it, but I was thinking of trying it but run into the problems designing it as a magblade.

There really isn’t a good source of major sorcery or prophesy in the class toolkit so you can’t run tri-pots, plus mag in general don’t have reliable self healing which makes it hard to brawl.

Yeah, I think the problem is that troll king feels necessary for magblade up in the action, but then that gives up the burst from Zaan, which I think is perfectly suited for the toolkit melee magblade has.

Maybe I'll try Buffer of the Swift instead of Heavy.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I think the problem is that troll king feels necessary for magblade up in the action, but then that gives up the burst from Zaan, which I think is perfectly suited for the toolkit melee magblade has.

Maybe I'll try Buffer of the Swift instead of Heavy.

You could try sap for sorcery, but I think the toolkit has been gutted too much for it to work well. How are you going to fit sap on your skill loadout?

Remember you’re also competing with stam and 4k vigor ticks. You can compete with stam in mitigation, but they’ll blow you out of the water with their self healing and sustain from heavy attacking, which is what actually makes them tanky.

Maybe 2H/resto and use onslaught. I don’t know, I usually have the most success against them with speed and not letting them heavy and making it hard to land dizzy.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 7, 2020 4:43PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try sap for sorcery, but I think the toolkit has been gutted too much for it to work well. How are you going to fit sap on your skill loadout?

Remember you’re also competing with stam and 4k vigor ticks. You can compete with stam in mitigation, but they’ll blow you out of the water with their self healing and sustain from heavy attacking, which is what actually makes them tanky.

Maybe 2H/resto and use onslaught. I don’t know, I usually have the most success against them with speed and not letting them heavy and making it hard to land dizzy.

Yeah, I don't know. Sap is just not a great skill. I would rather find a way to fit degen I think. Perhaps if Sap lasted much longer...but that global is too valuable to waste on sap, it feels. Ugh, it sucks. I wish that Rattlecage had better set bonuses for us, heh.

I think the 2h onslaught would bring nice burst and cover the pen weakness.

I always circle back to "if only I had stam's buffs and heals", which invariably leads to "I should try Pelinals" which leads to "ugh now I am a worse stamblade." :(
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I don't know. Sap is just not a great skill. I would rather find a way to fit degen I think. Perhaps if Sap lasted much longer...but that global is too valuable to waste on sap, it feels. Ugh, it sucks. I wish that Rattlecage had better set bonuses for us, heh.

I think the 2h onslaught would bring nice burst and cover the pen weakness.

I always circle back to "if only I had stam's buffs and heals", which invariably leads to "I should try Pelinals" which leads to "ugh now I am a worse stamblade." :(

Yea, I tried the whole pelinals + Shackle + Balorgs in 5m as a magblade, it worked in no-CP. The only redeeming thing is you can use vigor and radiating regen.

When they removed overlap from magblade they sort of killed build variety, I’d just go with it. I feel the same way about dark cloak magblade, why do it when you can be a DK or warden, you’re similar to those classes but have no projectile defense so sorcs will eat you alive.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 7, 2020 8:39PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair