The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

how to play eso without killing or thieving?

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played no-kill characters in single player TES games, and had a lot of fun doing it. It creates a lot of tricky problems to solve.

I've considered doing the same in ESO, but so far decided not to. It just doesn't get me anywhere in story terms. There are no significant questlines in ESO that don't force you to kill something. The only possible exception is the Thieves Guild questline, and even that depends on how strictly you define killing.

The only way I would play a no-kill character in ESO would be as a thief of some sort. That may be possible without "stealing". Following the Bandaari rules of salvage gives plenty of latitude for acquisition. And maybe follow Jakarn's maxim that you can't steal what's already been stolen.

I would have to define "killing" for myself as well. Looking at the Slayer achievements I might restrict "killing" to include the Humanoid and Nature categories but not count anything else (except maybe vampires). Breaking dwemer automata, banishing daedra to the void, and destroying undead like skeletons, zombies and ghosts is not killing. Basically, you can't kill what isn't alive.

One insurmountable problem with ESO is that you can't reload from a saved game. So, if you accidently zap a critter instead of an automaton (and how easy is that!), the little creature's death is always going to be on your character's record. There's no going back. Same if an NPC you're accompanying kills something too, that may go on your character's stats.

You'd have to skip the tutorial quest for certain. That means you have to get another character to do your killing for you first, which may not be satisfactory.

If I was going to give this a try I would definitely go for a sneaky illusionist - khajiit Nightblade. That would give me quite a few non-lethal skills to use to avoid and escape combat. RP'ing as a Bandaari might just give me enough of a story to make it worthwhile.

Maybe, when I've played-out every other part of the game, I'll give it a try. The way things are going that might be quite soon.
    PC EU
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think the no killing is impossible even with a healer because when you are out in the world you can accudently target a critter and kill it without meaning to.
    The no thieving is easier as you loot items from containers that dont require thieving.

Im curious why you ask OP since you have level 50 characters which you obvioisly killed on. Are you just asking for fun or are you thinking of playing eso in a more challenging way? . Im just curious why you asked. Anyhow, it's an intersting one.😊

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ain’t Pokémon.

Enslaving wild and/or endangered creatures, for use in an organized dogfighting ring? Darn right, this isn't Pokemon! That game is evil!

(and marketed to younger children, to boot! /gasp)

o:)
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure you could do the Elsewyer tutorial without killing anyone if you are stealthy.

That is assuming skeletons don't count as people, or ghosts or Daedra etc. although eventually you'll have to kill a dragon.

Now that I think about it Elseweyr actually has less killing than other parts of the game.
  • linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    Reconsider thievery as none other than asset retrieval/recovery/restoration to the original owner who will be communicated to by the fence for collection.

Consider "killing" as complete spiritual disinformation and being none other than a shift from one dream into another and an opportunity for a genuine awakening. Yet the npc and muggistic humans rarely choose awakening and thus you see them(NPCs) back, as if they never left..in fact you probably allowed them a well deserved break as we do in sleep at night

The only killing that may be going on is the shared dreamscape PC's and NPCs are operating their dream bodies/ toons in --ie the eso game itself as it crashes over and over again...yet even then that can be very well interpreted as an awakening from a dark night of the soul

Not one death has ever occurred in PVP aside from the decision of that entity to not sign into the eso dreamscape again...and even then...they did not die.
    Edited by linoge63 on February 29, 2020 6:13PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.

Like Pokemon battles. lol
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I am pretty sure you could do the Elsewyer tutorial without killing anyone if you are stealthy.

That is assuming skeletons don't count as people, or ghosts or Daedra etc. although eventually you'll have to kill a dragon.

Now that I think about it Elseweyr actually has less killing than other parts of the game.

I just tried the Elsweyr tutorial to see. There's a bit where you have to kill a Euraxian officer to rescue a couple of adepts. No way round it.
    PC EU
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Of course being a fantasy world there's some grey areas too - do you consider goblins to be people? How about spriggans?.

You forgot Argonians in that list.... ;)
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • xXMeowMeowXx
      xXMeowMeowXx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Anyone knows how? Please post below...

Could you please elaborate as to what you do not wish to kill ?

Crafting, flower picking, fishing, learning recipes from guild traders and found ones, events that do not require you to kill for tickets, housing and decorating, etc....

This is the best I could do @thissocalledflower :)

You could probably rp by having another player be your bodyguard on your merchant travels and exploration of exotic far off lands. They would do all the killing for you, keeping your regal hands blood free !! Plus, you would get the experience from the other player.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by xXMeowMeowXx on February 29, 2020 6:59PM
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      [Removed quote]

[Edited for removed content]

serious talk though - ESO would be extremely limited without killing or thieving. there are a few options - crafting, exploration, decorating. but.. that's about it. there ARE genuinely games on a market that offer non violent gameplay. nothing wrong with games that don't have any sort of combat or killing IMO. ESO is just... not really one of those games, unless limited exploration (limited, because there are mobs everywhere and they WILL attack you and there is only so much running away you can do), crafting and decorating ( and i guess role playing scenarios, that works too) - is enough....
      Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 2, 2020 1:48PM
      dirty worthless casual.
      Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
      Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    • wolfie1.0.
      wolfie1.0.
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      It is possible
      There was a person that ZOS featured in a live stream that reached vet 16 (max lvl at the time) who got there by not killing any creature or person. Took em a long time though. The key is to learn what quests you can and cant do. The hard part is getting to lvl 6 after. At lvl 6 you can use crafting dailies and some of other dailies. But really you just need lvl6 and a few skyshards for skill points. Cause you see the secret to lvling a character without combat is master writs. Though its gonna take some time for research and stuff. But the consumable writs you just need to know which traits to combine, the mats, and sometimes the recipes. It can all be done out of combat though it is expensive.
    • Magenpie
      Magenpie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm quite surprised at the number of Negative Nancy responses here. No one is asking you to change the way you play and no one is threatening your playstyle.

The OP isn't suggesting combat in the game is a bad thing or should be removed, they just want people's ideas about how you would attempt to avoid it, for whatever reason they've chosen. There are plenty of ways to play around with the given mechanics of the game, this is just another one.

Just because it might involve taking things more slowly, running away a lot, picking a metric f-tonne of flowers doesn't mean they shouldn't give it a go, and they aren't suggesting you do it as well.

Actually, what the hell am I talking about, of course I'm not surprised.
    • Beardimus
      Beardimus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      People are being a bit harsh on the OP.

I think what they might be getting as is murdering and thieving. I e playing lawfully. Which actually I did on my main first few years. No chests / nicking / town murders. Always took the more righteous pathway etc.

I did role a thief for TG DLC and he killed everyone to be honnest lol

But yeah to do zero farm would be hard to achieve much.
      Xbox One | EU | EP
      Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
      Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
      1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
      Alts - - for the Lolz
      Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
      Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
      Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
      Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
      Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
      Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
      Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
      Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
      Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    • Matchimus
      Matchimus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nope...A dye unlocks at 1000 pickpockets. Must have all dyes.
    • Nerouyn
      Nerouyn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Raudgrani wrote: »
      If you want to join Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, that's a choice - one which you don't have to make.

But if you decide to steal you kind of have to murder too.

The only thing which resets NPC inventory for stealing is respawn.

You could empty NPCs in an area and just move on to another. But that would leave a lot of empty pockets for other players, which is a bit rude.

Another example of this game's insanity. Not murdering innocent civilians is an anti-social behaviour.
    • Nerouyn
      Nerouyn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Matchimus wrote: »
      Nope...A dye unlocks at 1000 pickpockets. Must have all dyes.

There is that, but getting all dyes includes achievements like Emperor, which involves pvp - which many aren't into - and really isn't trivial.

Once you decide that any such thing is just too much of a bother, that robs the whole "must have them all" drive of impetus.
    • Nevasca
      Nevasca
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Playing the market game with the trade guilds, making money and establishing your own niche market. Crafting, but mainly fishing too. No killing or stealing involved :).
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nerouyn wrote: »
      Raudgrani wrote: »
      If you want to join Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, that's a choice - one which you don't have to make.

But if you decide to steal you kind of have to murder too.

The only thing which resets NPC inventory for stealing is respawn.

You could empty NPCs in an area and just move on to another. But that would leave a lot of empty pockets for other players, which is a bit rude.

Another example of this game's insanity. Not murdering innocent civilians is an anti-social behaviour.

you don't though. cupboards also count as stealing. moreover, personaly when i pickpocket npc's in say skywatch, i don't kill anything or anyone. because logging out and switching characters - works to reset their loot as well. time resets npc inventory. i'm not entirely sure how much time. half an hour maybe? 15 minutes? I tend to steal on multiple characters so by the time I switch to original - npc inventory is reset. and no, its not because npc's were killed by someone else.

oh, I forgot fishing :P unless you don't want to kill any innocent fishes either - fishing is technically not murder
      Edited by Linaleah on February 29, 2020 10:34PM
      dirty worthless casual.
      Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    • bmnoble
      bmnoble
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I am assuming you mean Murdering or stealing, those are completely optional, stealing though you may still do on accident due to the way random stuff is placed in towns.

If you meant killing as in you don't want to kill anything at all, try puzzle games, get a deck of cards instead maybe.
    • Magenpie
      Magenpie
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      bmnoble wrote: »
      I am assuming you mean Murdering or stealing, those are completely optional, stealing though you may still do on accident due to the way random stuff is placed in towns.

If you meant killing as in you don't want to kill anything at all, try puzzle games, get a deck of cards instead maybe.

Why? This is an RPG. If the OP wishes to wander the world without killing things, why can't they give it a go. Stop the gatekeeping. People can play how they bloody well like.
    • Twenty0zTsunami
      Twenty0zTsunami
      ✭✭✭✭
      You could just play a healer and make all your friends do the dirty work?
    • Morgha_Kul
      Morgha_Kul
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I did this with one of my characters. The idea of the character is that he's ME, transported to Nirn (there's a bunch of backstory, not relevant here). Now, I'm not inclined to kill or steal, so I went on into the game avoiding combat as much as possible, and when it was unavoidable, I used my FISTS... this allowed me to rationalize that I wasn't killing anyone, I was just knocking them out. I still don't steal, though the story of the character has led to him being forced to kill on occasion. As a roleplayer, I rather enjoyed the angst his first kill caused. It's made for an interesting, unusual character to play.
      Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
    • TheShadowScout
      TheShadowScout
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      how to play eso without killing or thieving?
      You -could- play without thieving... much. There are several optional quests where you need to get a lil bit sticky fingered, and a whole questline (Thieves Guild, duh!) where its all about the pilfering... but generally, you -can- decide not to take what does not belong to you.

Playing without killing on the other hand... well, you -can- keep it "self-defense only" since most baddies will aggro you anyhow. But... well... there just is a LOT of bloody eeeevil mobs that really, really need killin all over Tamriel!
      Just ask Tovisa in the Rift... play that questline and then just try to make a case how the reachmen and hagravens there should have been allowed to keep on living because reasons.
      ...although I -suppose- you -could- play a warden and say it isn't you that is killing them, its your bear or the critters you call up... you are just healing your fuzzy friend 's all... :p;)
      Enslaving wild and/or endangered creatures, for use in an organized dogfighting ring? Darn right, this isn't Pokemon! That game is evil!
      And naturally, the same thing -has- been suggested for ESO also... I well remember my reaction:
      I can see it now...
      Welcome to the battle for this weekend!
      In the right corner we have our first contender this evening, his mother was a senche, and his father a -very- brave wolf...
      7a5f4c33d391a0c603e2654175a33295.jpg
      ...and awaiting his challenge... the reigning champion freshly re-summoned for this evening from Spiral Skein...
      bff184f5ebcf64888e0fdd3503d87f72.jpg
      For our second bout in the lighter weight class, we have our contender from Summerset, with a proud lineage that spans many generations of fluffy fur and noble demeanour...
      68517cf4aee0d663d551d8e841bb1cba.jpg
      ...and facing her will be a new contender that only made it in this weight class on a technicality...
      7f8ef9aa6beab088fdb0c721fe3d4fa4.jpg
      ...now we are all counting on... a... fair... fi... by stendarr, I cannot do this anymore, somebody, please, stop this, its gonna be a bloody slaughter! Animal cruelty! Kitty guts all over the place!

:p;):D

No. Just say no to pet abuse!

• Sylvermynx
      Sylvermynx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Morgha_Kul wrote: »

Actually, I did this with one of my characters. The idea of the character is that he's ME, transported to Nirn (there's a bunch of backstory, not relevant here). Now, I'm not inclined to kill or steal, so I went on into the game avoiding combat as much as possible, and when it was unavoidable, I used my FISTS... this allowed me to rationalize that I wasn't killing anyone, I was just knocking them out. I still don't steal, though the story of the character has led to him being forced to kill on occasion. As a roleplayer, I rather enjoyed the angst his first kill caused. It's made for an interesting, unusual character to play.

Bravo! I'm not necessarily a pacifist IRL (um.... kind of an understatement maybe) but in RPGs I tend to not want to kill my way through quest lines and entire zones; I come from the pencil and paper school of games (AD&D, Warhammer, various others back in the mid 70s through mid 80s), and wrote then ran scenarios for my daughter and her friends from school. We lived in Vegas, and all the kids were exposed to a lot of by-product violence, either at school, or on the news. I wanted to minimize that in a game we were playing for fun.

So I wrote scenarios which depended on going out of their way to avoid simply "off with her head!" sort of stuff. A lot of it was "cloak and dagger" - without the dagger. Sneaking into diplomats' apartments to steal the plans to prevent a war; or in other cases, sneak into a woman's bedchamber to steal the ring she intended to hand over to her paramour in order to implicate her husband in treachery against the king.... Lots of that sort of "sneak, don't get caught, don't kill anyone" sort of thing. These were middle school kids at that time, so I really wanted to NOT mess with their already messy minds and souls (hormones etc. just totally throw kids that age for a loop - eh, well, they did back then.... not sure about now - thank the goddesses! as I don't have kids at home, or grandkids in that age range).

So usually, I play these games and wish I had some way to just wend my way through everything, doing quests with some way to not kill etc. Unrealistic most likely, but I do have various characters who do as little killing as possible. They mostly do writs and explore. Occasionally in exploring, they get ambushed. Can't be helped.... But I do get where maybe the OP is coming from.
    • Nerouyn
      Nerouyn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Linaleah wrote: »
      cupboards also count as stealing.

Fair enough, but you're definitely gimping yourself by not pickpocketing.
      moreover, personaly when i pickpocket npc's in say skywatch, i don't kill anything or anyone. because logging out and switching characters - works to reset their loot as well.

You've logged out of one instance of the map where you've emptied all of those NPC pockets and into another where they're full.

NPC stealing inventories are shared by all players on that map and can't be reset just by logging out.

Container inventories can.
      time resets npc inventory. i'm not entirely sure how much time. half an hour maybe? 15 minutes? I tend to steal on multiple characters so by the time I switch to original - npc inventory is reset. and no, its not because npc's were killed by someone else.

Yes they reset with enough time - which takes a lot longer than just killing them and making them respawn in a few short minutes - but how could you honestly attempt to claim that you're 100% that no-one has killed those NPCs who have reset?

You've admitted that you're jumping around between characters. Even if on the same map there's a very good chance you wouldn't be on the same instance of that map.

Do you only steal in a single room?

Kill an NPC and it'll respawn in a few minutes. If you leave a room for more than a few minutes and you've emptied the pockets of NPCs there's a very good chance that some another thief will murder those NPCs to reset their inventory.

Just because you weren't there to see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
      oh, I forgot fishing :P unless you don't want to kill any innocent fishes either - fishing is technically not murder

I'm vegan so yeah, I'd call that murder.

Murdered NPCs also don't actually stay dead. Assassinate one and they're walking around again in a few minutes in perfect health. That's undead / daedra territory.

Those fish? Probably not catching and eating literally the same fish over and over and over. They'd be suffering real and permanent deaths.
      Edited by Nerouyn on March 1, 2020 12:54AM
    • Nerouyn
      Nerouyn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sylvermynx wrote: »
      So I wrote scenarios which depended on going out of their way to avoid simply "off with her head!" sort of stuff. A lot of it was "cloak and dagger" - without the dagger.

Perhaps "cloak and swagger"?
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      cupboards also count as stealing.

Fair enough, but you're definitely gimping yourself by not pickpocketing.
      moreover, personaly when i pickpocket npc's in say skywatch, i don't kill anything or anyone. because logging out and switching characters - works to reset their loot as well.

You've logged out of one instance of the map where you've emptied all of those NPC pockets and into another where they're full.

NPC stealing inventories are shared by all players on that map and can't be reset just by logging out.

Container inventories can.
      time resets npc inventory. i'm not entirely sure how much time. half an hour maybe? 15 minutes? I tend to steal on multiple characters so by the time I switch to original - npc inventory is reset. and no, its not because npc's were killed by someone else.

Yes they reset with enough time - which takes a lot longer than just killing them and making them respawn in a few short minutes - but how could you honestly attempt to claim that you're 100% that no-one has killed those NPCs who have reset?

You've admitted that you're jumping around between characters. Even if on the same map there's a very good chance you wouldn't be on the same instance of that map.

Do you only steal in a single room?

Kill an NPC and it'll respawn in a few minutes. If you leave a room for more than a few minutes and you've emptied the pockets of NPCs there's a very good chance that some another thief will murder those NPCs to reset their inventory.

Just because you weren't there to see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'm vegan so yeah, I'd call that murder.

Murdered NPCs also don't actually stay dead. Assassinate one and they're walking around again in a few minutes in perfect health. That's undead / daedra territory.

Those fish? Probably not catching and eating literally the same fish over and over and over. They'd be suffering real and permanent deaths.

1. i'm not gimping myself at all, looting cupboards is easier and faster if all i'm after are fence goods with maybe an occasional recipes. pick-pocketing is only worth it IMO if you are after specific items that can ONLY be gotten via pick-pocketing and event then - there are faster ways to make gold to just buy those most of the time. unless you are enjoying pick-pocketing specifically - in which case fair enough. as I'm not the biggest fan of it, I prefer to steal without pick-pocketing whenever possible.
      2. npc inventories are individual per player. they are NOT shared, they are like cupboards instanced to each player. which is why the strategy of "taking turns to pickpocket the same npc" actualy works, which is why if you pickpocket once and then someone else murders the npc you just pickpocketed, you get multiple items you can loot from them, as if you pickpocketed 3 times (and which is why its only polite to freaking LEAVE NPC's FOR OTHER PEOPLE TO PICKPOCKET INSTEAD OF SLAUGHTERING THEM AND MAKING EVERYONE ELSE WAIT /deep breath sorry, sore point and part of the reason I don't pickpocket much).
      3. there are no dead bodies around - hence no killed npc's. those bodies can take a bit of time to despawn - far more time than it takes for npc to respawn which is why you can often come across the same npc standing in a knee high pile of their own bodies. moreover - unless the zone is super busy for whatever reason, there is rarely more then once instance active. while yes, there are dolmen trains in Auridon, they are nowhere near the insanity of alik'r
      4. I figured being vegan might come into play, hence I mentioned that fishing could count as murder potentially. however, if you are going to claim that npc's respawn over and over, so it doesn't count as permanent, how can you claim that this doesn't apply to fish? since it also respawns over and over - you cannot claim that its not the same fish respawning. npc's that respawn are the same exact non daedra people. its the ludonarrative dissonance thing. so either they all count or they all don't
      dirty worthless casual.
    • Linaleah
      Linaleah
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      random aside. I actualy played.. not pacifist precisely, but a cleric who categorically refused to hit anyone with anything, let alone kill them (there was a character reason for that). she would try diplomacy whenever possible and ended up adopting enough wolves along the way to have an entire pack. but..... she was a healer for a party that didn't hesitate to kill when they felt it was warranted and well wolves... wolves had to eat. it might be both easier AND harder to roleplay a character that doesn't kill in ESO since on one hand, you can just play solo. but on the other hand - most quests are unavailable to you. could it be worth a try? sure! why not.
      dirty worthless casual.
    • Sylvermynx
      Sylvermynx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sylvermynx wrote: »
      So I wrote scenarios which depended on going out of their way to avoid simply "off with her head!" sort of stuff. A lot of it was "cloak and dagger" - without the dagger.

Perhaps "cloak and swagger"?

That's GOOD. That's very very good! In fact, that's great, and bedamned to me for not thinking of it back when. The kids would have LOVED it!

<3
    • M_Volsung
      M_Volsung
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Anhedonie wrote: »
      Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.

They just "fainted"... after all, it works in pokemon, right?
      "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
      Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
      Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
      Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein