The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

how to play eso without killing or thieving?

thissocalledflower
thissocalledflower
✭✭✭
Anyone knows how? Please post below...
After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't. If you are trying not to kill anyone you won't even get past the tutorial.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call killing "support of soul transfer" and thievery "release from burden to care about possession" and you neither kill nor steal - you help people improving their spiritual development - all just a matter of how you look at things. Or if you are a warden, you accelerate the natural exchange of biomass and heal people from their addiction to stuff.
    Edited by Lysette on February 29, 2020 11:39AM
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you want to achieve in game?

You could try farming nodes, treasure chests, crafting writs, fishing, sell stuff, crafting, housing, grouping up with others that don't mind you only heal & buff.

Dress to escape, e.g. invisibility potions, swift potions.

• Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to murder or steal, if that's what you mean. If you want to join Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, that's a choice - one which you don't have to make. But killing in general, you don't get away with not doing it in a game like this. It's pretty much centered around combat, and I do have a problem to imagine what brought anyone here, if they don't like fighting etc. at all. :-)
  • woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    You don't. If you are trying not to kill anyone you won't even get past the tutorial.

This^^.

If the tutorial doesn't count for you, I guess you could survive with farming, trading, daily crafting etc. but you won't be able to "play" the game ;)

Although, UESP lists a couple of pacifist quests, but there aren't much B)

Have fun and avoid the Dark Brotherhood :D
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No to be mean but play a different game.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get to max level without killing or thieving.

You will not be able to do very many quests, and you will have to limit your helping to healing, but it can be done.

*Do not do the Cyro intro quest as there are people in the target 'dummies'
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great idea for a challenge...
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that depends on what exactly you mean by "killing", OP. If it's "murdering people in cold blood", then that's easy, just don't join the Dark Brotherhood and you will never have to kill an innocent NPC. With all the others, the actual enemies that appear red to you, you can always wait for them to attack you first and then it's pretty much self-defense. Same for thieving, you can get through all the content (excluding the obvious exceptions, of course) no problem without stealing a single item from anyone.

If, however, you're actually referring to "killing anyone", then you're screwed. I mean, it might be possible, technically, I guess, but it would suck all the fun out of the game, IMO. I really can't imagine a playstyle like that would make for a very enjoyable experience.

Edited for clarification.
    Edited by CassandraGemini on February 29, 2020 12:31PM
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • wolfbone
    wolfbone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you dont want to kill anything then you're not going to have much fun.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you can skip the tutorial if it's not your first character.

And I like your style OP, this is an RPG after all. I'm sure it is possible but you'll have to be slow and careful in how you go about things. As other people suggest, there are probably only a few quests, but invisi potions will be your friend, running away works. There are addons which may help too. I use one which stops me from accidentally stealing things.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.

^This.

Arm yourself with maces if stamina, this will add to the imagination of knocking them out instead of killing them with a sharp weapon. This is also somewhat true, because all "killed" NPCs are back (respawned) in some minutes.

If magicka, knock them out with your magic or your staff.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most MMORPGs require killing. As others have pointed out, if you have played this game for 5 minutes you have already killed things. Basically to late to atone for dispatching evil.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone knows how? Please post below...

skip the tutorial (requires a separate character to unlock) then just farm plants, rocks and chests until you max out.
    Edited by dsalter on February 29, 2020 1:06PM
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can level via crafting, exploration. You can try and accomplish certain quests by stealth or just do steppenfetchit tasks. You could simply heal in dungeon content (although that is clearly killing and thieving by proxy).

You could do housing and fashion, getting gold by doing housing for others.

It’s a challenge for sure, but it’s got to be doable.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Most MMORPGs require killing. As others have pointed out, if you have played this game for 5 minutes you have already killed things. Basically to late to atone for dispatching evil.

look up "Doubleagent" Wow :)
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• sionIV
    sionIV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen similar questions in other games, and all of them came with a religious undertone.
    Edited by sionIV on February 29, 2020 1:27PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sionIV wrote: »
    I've seen similar questions in other games, and all of them came with a religious undertone.

I don’t think it is necessarily religious to be concerned that all advancement in the game essentially revolves around killing. One only has to try levelling a character as a healer or tank to see that killing is where almost all experience comes from.

I don’t have a problem with it personally - the only good daedra is a dead one in my book - but I can understand the basic moral dilemma OP is raising. In a game that revolves around fighting, killing and stealing, can you actually succeed by being a ‘civilised’ social player? Thinking about it very briefly, it does seem quite challenging and might be worth the time creating a character to specifically try to do that.

It will be very interesting to see how much actual killing will be required to complete the new Antiquity quests and whether the rewards are exclusively militaristic in nature or if they provide a range of non-violent benefits that enable more non-lethal gameplay.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ain’t Pokémon.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ain’t Pokémon.

The Indrik events say otherwise!
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crafting. Doing writs can get you to max level, and harvesting crafting nodes allows you to get resources without stealing or killing.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, you can level by exploring and discovering new locations on the map (every black icon like wayshrines and points of interest give you a bit of exp when you discover them and turn them white), doing daily crafting writs (you can do 6 in base game and 7 if you have Summerset to do Jewelry Crafting), and opening chests. You can increase the amount of exp these give you by using Psijic Ambrosia potions, which increase all your exp gains by 50%, or using exp scrolls (which we get a few of every month as login rewards) which also increase your exp gain by anywhere from 50% to 150%, depending on the scroll. They're not stackable though so you can only use one or the other at a time.

Also, you could go to areas where there are a lot of Daedra and Daedric cultists, and especially Dolmens. While you might not want to kill in general, Daedra are pretty much inherently "evil", but! When you kill a Daedra, it doesn't actually stay dead. Instead its 'soul' goes back to Oblivion to have a new body made. So you aren't actually killing Daedra, you're just sending them back to Oblivion for a bit (this is actual canon lore too, not headcanon, so you don't have to feel like you're taking someone else's thoughts on the matter). While this isn't usually the case for mortal beings, though, you can feel justified killing the cultists and worshippers since they themselves tend to be evil people who hurt others, so you could see killing them as protecting people.

Edited for typos. Yay autocorrect!
    Edited by Arunei on February 29, 2020 3:04PM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are also plenty of fetch quests that don't technically require any combat. Although they may be part of a chain that does ..
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have said if you want to avoid murder than that's easy, as long as you don't join the Dark Brotherhood you'll never be required to kill an innocent and within the laws of Tamriel any killing you do is legal and considered necessary or unavoidable.

If you want to avoid killing anyone at all then I'd say it depends on how you define 'anyone'. If you want to be a complete pacifist and not fight or kill anything that will be difficult, but there's a lot of quests where you're not required to fight any people, instead you're fighting daedra and other summoned creatures (which technically you can't kill, you just send them back to Oblivion), zombies and skeletons which are already dead, or animals.

Of course being a fantasy world there's some grey areas too - do you consider goblins to be people? How about spriggans? But since it's your rule and not something enforced by the game it's up to you where you draw the line. You could even choose on a case-by-case basis as you're going through the game.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Play Undertale instead?

Seriously, I've tried plying some other MMO in sneaky style (not pacifist but avoiding any fight I could) and after doing every quest in a zone I was underlevelled enough I could not move on next. Play as you want as long as you want to kill things.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a home and live out of the crown store OP?
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This ain’t Pokémon.

The Indrik events say otherwise!

LMAO! :D
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    Play Undertale instead?

Seriously, I've tried plying some other MMO in sneaky style (not pacifist but avoiding any fight I could) and after doing every quest in a zone I was underlevelled enough I could not move on next. Play as you want as long as you want to kill things.
    Telling someone to play another game because they want to avoid a certain aspect is hardly helpful advice. You might have been underleveled in the other games you tried, but those games are not ESO. You aren't ever underleveled in ESO ever since One Tamriel introduced level scaling for all PvE content, and even though it would take a long time and certainly be hard, you can fully level a character on actions that don't include combat.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

look up "Doubleagent" Wow :)

who to this day is still stuck on a starting island as far as i know. you can level in ESO via lots and lots and LOTS of crafting dailies. kinda like double agent. you can actualy do more then double agent, as if you allow yourself to go though a tutorial - you could spend a lot of time exploring, gathering lorebooks and skyshards, etc (just running away instead of killing mobs and/or dying and resurrecting at a nearest shrine)

but... most of the game requires combat. just. like. WoW.

housing though - housing can take up a LOT of time whether you avoid combat or not. crafting dailies are a fantastic source of income that requires zero killing and you can save up to buy a small house in no time and then spend time decorating it. can trade with players for furniture, or depending on how you feel about opening cupboards that do not come with a bounty (is it still stealing?) try to gather your own collection of furnishing recipes.
    Edited by Linaleah on February 29, 2020 3:47PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"