The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

how to play eso without killing or thieving?

• doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    Imagine that you just knock people out instead of killing them.
    Harder when their bodies disintegrate into a pile of ash, or they freeze solid and burst. Yeah, they’re just sleeping ;)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As there are gods in the game, where is the problem - you help them to get to the next stage a little earlier - you should be praised for that. And as far as possession goes, let Khajiit care for it, they have a natural attitude to be helpful and free you from the burden to care for it.
    Edited by Lysette on March 1, 2020 1:33PM
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another take on this. My son who plays occasionally too, has sky high morals (contrary to me) - and he simply refused to join Dark Brotherhood/Thieves guild because they are bad people. Likewise, he refuses to fight some world bosses and some delve bosses too, because he thinks it's a mean and bad thing to do ("It's his cave dad, leave him alone!"). The only guy I have ever seen with 100% "good karma" in RDR2 too for example (while I'm like 100% bad myself).

But then, he has no scruples helping me to grind dungeons for sets and so on, because mostly these are undead/evil/wicked/vicious and so on. I think you CAN get away playing this game without MURDER (in the words true sense), or thieving. But you will miss big parts of the game if you don't. I'd say it's nearly impossible to leave even the smallest zombie or angered mudcrab alive. There's a difference between killing and murder, even in court of law.
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was playing a Deus game at the beginning the guy went to attack me and i ran... I came back he was dead....
    I played the game without killing anybody even the final boss...I was ready for my pacifist title... Apparently that one person who died at the beginning ( I found out later a police drone attacked him) ruined it all...

That was when I realized pacifism is overrated...
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you have to steal anything to play the game. Also, you never really kill anybody, they always choose the respawn at wayshrine option and get back to their spot to go through their loop again. It's just a pantomime of violence to amuse sheo, he never really gets rid of his toys, just plays rough with them sometimes.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even the Avengers kill people.

And they are supposed to be the 'good' guys.

The war between good and evil is not paved with rose petals.

:#
  • Twenty0zTsunami
    Twenty0zTsunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote:

I'm vegan so yeah, I'd call that murder.

Well @Nerouyn you're wrong. Murder has a clear definition, and it doesn't involve ending the life of a non-human for sustenance. So Bears are murderers? Surely we know they are omnivores capable of getting their sustenance from plant life but they sure do like to eat other animals such as fish.

The answer is no, murder is legally defined as
    . the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority.

Don't worry though we all know the reality of the situation is that you you simply couldn't resist talking about being a vegan on an MMORPG's webforum.
    Edited by Twenty0zTsunami on March 1, 2020 4:42PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be a healer...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote:

Well @Nerouyn you're wrong. Murder has a clear definition, and it doesn't involve ending the life of a non-human for sustenance. So Bears are murderers? Surely we know they are omnivores capable of getting their sustenance from plant life but they sure do like to eat other animals such as fish.

. the killing of a human being by a sane person, with intent, malice aforethought (prior intention to kill the particular victim or anyone who gets in the way) and with no legal excuse or authority.

Don't worry though we all know the reality of the situation is that you you simply couldn't resist talking about being a vegan on an MMORPG's webforum.

Bears don't like to eat other animals such as fish. Bear like to eat berries. They eat the fish because when they come out of hibernation there are no berries to eat yet but "LOOK! hey theres all these fish. Fish aren't berries but it sure beats starving to death waiting for the berries to bloom. Guess i'll eat some fish for now." And as soon as there are berries to eat they go eat them instead.
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you don't have to steal outside a few very specific quests. and never really have to murder. you have to kill for self defense.

It's easy to play a mostly law abiding character in ESO.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote:

Bears don't like to eat other animals such as fish. Bear like to eat berries. They eat the fish because when they come out of hibernation there are no berries to eat yet but "LOOK! hey theres all these fish. Fish aren't berries but it sure beats starving to death waiting for the berries to bloom. Guess i'll eat some fish for now." And as soon as there are berries to eat they go eat them instead.

Bears are omnivores. It isn't about "liking to eat fish" or not. It's about what nutrition they need to survive at certain times of the year, and what food is plentiful. They'll eat carrion and young deer or moose if it's available as well. A bear isn't going to pass up a meal just because berries are in season. Meat is an important source of protein and fat for an animal like a bear. They'll eat it at any time if they come across it. Certainly they gorge themselves on berries when they are in season, but if there is an opportunity to eat meat, they'll also do that.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On an alt you can skip tutorial. Then crafting achievements until 10 (or with writs til 50) Join Battlegrounds as a Healer til 50.

Then Heal end game dungeons or PvP.

Not sure if the current tutorial requires killing. (Alts can skip it)
    Main: (PvP & PvE)
    Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar, the Vestige

PvP:
    Aurik Siet'ka a Redguard Necromancer
    Cacique the Sage of Ius a Redguard Warden
    Jux Blackheart a Redguard Nightblade
    Goliath of Hammerfell a Redguard Dragonknight
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon a Redguard* Sorcerer

PvP: (Specialty)
    Tyrus Septim an Imperial Lycan Sorcerer
    Tsar af-Bomba a Redguard Vampiric Nightblade
    Movárth Piquine a Nord Vampiric Necromancer
    Uri Ice-Heart the Twin a Nord Vampiric Warden

PvE:
    Cinan Tharn an Imperial Dragonknight
    Bates Vesuius of Dawnstar an Imperial Dragonknight
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis an Akavari* Templar
    Tav'i at-Shinji a Redguard** Warden
    Lucky Hunch the Gambler - a Redguard Nightblade

Leveling...
    Zenovia at-Tura a Redguard** Sorcerer
    Yesi af-Kalik a Redguard Templar
    Voa a Priest of Sep a Redguard* Necromancer
    ======
    Passives of another race used. (RP)
    *Breton
    **Imperial

__________________________Backstories:_________________________

Ras Kalik the Vestige, a renown Redguard warrior; He has been blessed to save Tamriel from Molag Bal’s destructive Planemeld while reuniting the Five Companions. His further accomplishments after defeating Molag Bal, has been to stop the destruction of Morrowind, the Clockwork City, return order to the isle of Summerset and create a new king in Wrothgar and a queen in Elsywer. These events have made him a living legend and continue to lead him into new adventures throughout Tamriel, as well as into the hearts of many ladies including the Elf Queen, Aryenn. Over many years of adventurous travels, Ras Kalik had become a loner, until he re-visited his homeland of Alik'r.

Alik'r and it's cities were overrun by the undead Ra-Netu and therefore he made an allegiance with Alik'r's own Ash'abah tribe. These Ash'abah with his help, cleansed the city of Sentinel in Alik'r desert and it's surrounding areas of the undead brought to life by the Withered Hand. After rescuing Sentinel from the undead zombies, King Fahara’jad’s personal bodyguard the Goliath of Hammerfell, who was given this name by Imperials in the region; was asked to assist the tribe after learning of the defeat of the Withered Hand to the Ash'abah. Kalik promised Goliath he would task him with fighting living enemies on the battlefield if he so desired. Goliath being a Yokudan warrior wields a massive sword in respect to the Ansei, a gift given by the Imperial, Cinan Tharn. Not many soldiers are able to wield double two handed weapons, but Goliath loves to get up and personal in a fight, so he also carries a giant maul, both weapons laced with magical flames.

Jux Blackheart is a master thief that masquerades as a Bard at the Sisters of the Sands inn, with his younger sidekick Lucky Hunch for pilfering and gambling during this time. Jux was known to infiltrate any towns bank vault he came across and even delved into Ayelid ruins without detection. Kalik can vividly recall the night he met the famed thief. Jux found himself rummaging thru a slightly inebriated Kalik’s pocket for too long, on a full-mooned night and because of his greed and the glimmer of his golden armor in the moonlight. He lost his left pinky fingertip as a lesson! But in return, he gained a new friend, as it was his first time since a child being caught red-handed...

Upon arrival back in the Alik'r after many moons of adventuring, Ras Kalik ventures to Bergama. Visiting The Winking Jackal, he runs into Jux Blackheart, who introduces him to the coin game Crowns vs Forebearers (Heads vs Tails) and Golden Dwemer (RBG).... Jux constantly takes gold from the unfortunate thru theft or gambling, his biggest gambling victim is actually his partner in crime known as Lucky Hunch the Gambler. Lucky doesn't mind losing any gold coins to Jux... as Jux saved him from Altmer slavers in Summerset, by stealing a key and sending him on a boat to the mainland years prior. Lucky spent years in slavery with Khajiits in Summerset and picked up the art of subterfuge, using illusion magic disguises and stealing there.

Kaotik Von’Daemon an outcast, and a half-caste between a Breton mother and a Redguard father. Kaotik become a pariah due to his conjuration of Daedra pets. He was taught healing magic during his childhood years by his Breton mother. His father due to Redguard customs exiled him from the desert, sending him by wagon caravan to be a soldier in the war in Cyrodiil. He happened to meet Kalik while traveling from Alik'r, during this long caravan ride the caravan he was in was ambushed in Bangkorai by a group of bandits. Kalik by chance was also traveling thru this area on his Auridon Warhorse (which was bestowed to him by his friend, Darien Gautier). During this ambush, Kalik was able to rescue five hostages from the bandits. Kaotik was the first rescued, and Ras Kalik also recruited him to be in the Ash'abah tribe. These core Ash'abah tribesmen may never be seen together in travel as they partake in their own adventures but they always know what each other is doing; as they frequent a hideout in northern Bankorai. Their hideout an old Orc castle ruin, is kept watch by Nuzhimeh and she passes messages written between them, and frequently they also enjoy her company and her bed.

The other men rescued were a Dunmer banker, an Imperial mercenary and two other soldiers, an Imperial and a Breton Knight, stating proudly he was an Akavir descendent. One of the Imperials, Cinan, claimed to be related to Abnur Tharn the Battlemage of the Imperial Elder Council (One of Ras Kalik's mentors in the Five Companions). Cinan Tharn was really Abnur's drunkard treasure hunting illegitimate son. He was caught smuggling artifacts out of the Ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil and the elder of the two Imperials was Tyrus Septim a retired Imperial navy battle-mage (now a Lycan mercenary living in the city of Rimmen) and guard to the Tharn family. As much as Abnur Tharn hated his half-sister Euraxia, he dislikes his bas†ard son Cinan more. Tyrus now a ruffian and privateer had been paid by Abnur Tharn to watch over Cinan as much as possible. Cinan Tharn a drunkard, loves to drink at least a quarter barrel of Nord mead before he raids various delves and dungeons for relics to sell on the black market. Cinan also plans to one day, run an illegal gambling ring... which he thinks will net him more gold for his wares.

The Dunmer captive shackled to the Imperials looked familiar to Kalik from his time in Morrowind.... and he recognized him as Tythis Andromo a House Telvanni slave-owner and banker from Vvardenfell. During a rough interrogation to Tythis, Ras Kalik learnt why the bandits accosted him. The racist Dunmer was providing slaves as soldiers for the Three Banner War. The bandits were trying to negotiate a lucrative ransom for Andromo and the Imperials.... Kalik did not need any of this gold and he could never set Tythis free as he did with the two Imperial soldiers. His past involvement with slavery and war crimes, made Kalik's blood boil. He chose not to execute Tythis, as he figured the worse punishment for this former rich and opulent slave owner, is to now be an imprisoned servant for Ras Kalik and the tribe.

Herzog Zwei the Genesis a reknown Imperial/Akavirri battle-mage. His roots going back to Akavir through his mother’s bloodline. (His mother is descended from the Akaviri, through Versidue-Shae, and his Imperial father met her in Hakoshae, while traveling) Herzog earned the nickname "the Genesis" from his father as a child, as he was his mother's first born child, and last, as she tragically died in child-birth.

Herzog was seeking to purchase an artifact from Cinan Tharn, before their capture and was meeting Tyrus while in Rimmen, who introduced him to Cinan. This artifact being the Ayelid artifact; the sword Sinweaver. After their rescue and the exchange of gold to Cinan for the sword he decided to slip away before Ras Kalik could question who he was, and why the Akavir descendant really wanted that sword. Herzog was headed to Nagastani — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil. He had read in scrolls that the Sword would give him magical powers to meet his mothers spirit, if he performed an Ayleid ritual at an old shrine hidden there. Equipped with the artifact sword, he was off to start his own adventure but Ras Kalik, did indeed notice the sword however and instead sent a letter to Jux Blackheart (whom also was interested in Ayleid treasures), to attempt to find Herzog and acquire the sword. (*Azani Blackheart in Elder Scroll's Oblivion is Jux's descendant some 747 years later)

And so the Redguard, Imperial and Akaviri men parted ways ... While Ras Kalik went off to Elsweyr to encounter the latest threat to Tamriel, with Abnur Tharn and Sai Sahan - - DRAGONS!! Little did Ras Kalik know a few people were awaiting him in Senchal besides Sai. A necromancer survived his attack on the Withered Hand, while in Alik'r. The necromancer known as Auriek Siet'ka is also following him to the land of the Khajiits and Cacique the Sage of Ius a Shaman mystic who has become attuned spiritually with Tu'whacca (a Redguard God) and Ius (the Animal God), after being burned severely by the escaped dragons in Elsywer, is awaiting his arrival also. Aurik is a soldier of the Daggerfall Covenant that was introduced to necromancy while in the military, even though this magicka art is not spoken of openly by most of the Military leaders. He came to Alik'r and worked with the Withered Hand before Ras Kalik intervened on their plans. After the defeat of the Withered Hand, he aligned with the Worm Cult, and is constantly adapting and perfecting his necromantic arts.

After his journey to Rimmen, Kalik heads south to Senchal, in the southern regions of Elyswer. This new adventure will also put him on a path to meet a strange Redguard man. The stranger which was infected with an untreated Peyrite disease and also was the exiled from the Order of the New Moon cult, due to his sickness. He originally joined the cult to worship Laatvulon, the green dragon, mistakenly thinking it was the Daedric prince Peyrite. This confused and suffering cultist is known as Tsar al-Bomba and he is on a path to spread the disease. He was originally infected in Orccrest while recruiting members there. Can Ras Kalik and the shaman Cacique cure this poor soul, only time will tell. Little does Tsar al-Bomba know, that his infection is tied to Vampirism, and eventually the desire for blood will take over his mind. Senchal also offers Kalik his latest love interest... Aeliah. Whom he fondly led thru battles with the Dragonguard.

After the trek thru the heat, tropical and desert climate of Northern and Southern Elyswer, Ras Kalik heads north to the cold mountain range of Skyrim. His companion friend Lyris beckons for him with a letter sent by crow...

Movárth Piquine - a former vampire hunter (now infected), within the Fighter's Guild (and a secretive necromancer) was in Skyrim working with the Morthaal Guard. On a patrol mission he was caught in Frewien's ice curse outside of Morthaal with the frozen undead. Movárth's vampiric infection kept him from becoming an undead minion to the curse. He was able to use necromantic ice-magic to encase himself safely until he was freed with Freiwen, when the Vestige Ras Kalik broke the curse.

Uri Ice-Heart - brother of Urfon Ice-Heart. The twin sons of Atli and Oljourn Ice-Heart. The Ice-Heart family are originally from Markarth but now reside on the Jerall Mountain range near Cyrodiil, with their younger sister Araki. The twins had joined the Winterborn Reachmen while living in Markarth. Urfon pushed west to Orsinium with the Winterborn Clan, leaving his family behind. Uri stayed behind with his parents and sister to live in the family cabin for safety, avoiding the Vampire plague infiltrating the Reach. After news reaches him and he hears of Urfon's death... Uri leaves and heads home and is seeking vengeance. Meanwhile, his sister has also moved on to Windhelm to join the Fighter's guild. He will visit his sister, once before going to seek vengeance and she will craft him armor mixed with ice, called Stalhrim armor. Uri fearing death, after his brother's passing, falls victim to the convincing talk of Movárth at a Nordic tavern, and will also becomes a vampire.

{time moves forward through the hour-glass}
    PS5/NA - Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar - Daggerfall Covenant • 1550+ Champion

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalik_Gold wrote: »

Not sure if the current tutorial requires killing. (Alts can skip it)

The Elseweyr tutorial requires killing one individual to free certain others. The "end boss" requires being damaged, but gets "called away" before you have to try to kill it.

• Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just been running around in the world on my lvl 20 Argonian, wearing 5 Night's Silence and 5 Darloc Brae - no Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood skills, and I've easily avoided combat. Most things don't see me or have time to tag me. If they do, I sprint away.

This is perfectly doable.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magenpie wrote: »
    bmnoble wrote: »
    I am assuming you mean Murdering or stealing, those are completely optional, stealing though you may still do on accident due to the way random stuff is placed in towns.

If you meant killing as in you don't want to kill anything at all, try puzzle games, get a deck of cards instead maybe.

Why? This is an RPG. If the OP wishes to wander the world without killing things, why can't they give it a go. Stop the gatekeeping. People can play how they bloody well like.

So I gave a realistic response based on how the game actually is and not based on a marketing slogan to get people to buy the game.

Even if you played stealth the mobs in the game are placed to get in your way and force you to kill them on almost every single quest objective in the game, this is not a single player RPG with a no kill route built into it and those are few and far between even in single player games, simple reality is your going to have to kill enemies to actually play the game and enjoy the lore if you into that.

Sure they can skip the tutorial to avoid killing anything there, sure they could go out and explore the world running from every enemy mob, they could gather mats, to sell in guild traders, to make gold and do daily crafting writs to make more gold.

Sure you could run around healing people in Cyrodiil or dungeons but it will take a very long time to reach a high level and groups tend to like the healer to do some damage not necessarily a lot but some.

There are very few quests that don't have killing enemies as part of it, either as part of the quest or in the way of the quest objective.

Playing without killing enemy mobs will prevent you from doing a lot of the content and to me that would defeat the purpose of having bought the game for the most part.

Is it theoretically possible to play without killing anything yes, would it actually be fun due to stopping yourself from doing most of the content that attracts players to the game since the game was not built with that in mind? That is up to the player.
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am assuming you mean Murdering or stealing, those are completely optional, stealing though you may still do on accident due to the way random stuff is placed in towns.

If you meant killing as in you don't want to kill anything at all, try puzzle games, get a deck of cards instead maybe.

Why? This is an RPG. If the OP wishes to wander the world without killing things, why can't they give it a go. Stop the gatekeeping. People can play how they bloody well like.

So I gave a realistic response based on how the game actually is and not based on a marketing slogan to get people to buy the game.

Even if you played stealth the mobs in the game are placed to get in your way and force you to kill them on almost every single quest objective in the game, this is not a single player RPG with a no kill route built into it and those are few and far between even in single player games, simple reality is your going to have to kill enemies to actually play the game and enjoy the lore if you into that.

Sure they can skip the tutorial to avoid killing anything there, sure they could go out and explore the world running from every enemy mob, they could gather mats, to sell in guild traders, to make gold and do daily crafting writs to make more gold.

Sure you could run around healing people in Cyrodiil or dungeons but it will take a very long time to reach a high level and groups tend to like the healer to do some damage not necessarily a lot but some.

There are very few quests that don't have killing enemies as part of it, either as part of the quest or in the way of the quest objective.

Playing without killing enemy mobs will prevent you from doing a lot of the content and to me that would defeat the purpose of having bought the game for the most part.

Is it theoretically possible to play without killing anything yes, would it actually be fun due to stopping yourself from doing most of the content that attracts players to the game since the game was not built with that in mind? That is up to the player.

If you look at the title of the thread it's 'How to..' not 'Can I...' 'Should I...' The OP was asking for creative ideas to help them out, and instead of putting their brains to work, many people responded with grumpy negativity about whether this was the right game for them. This *is* the right game for them, as you've so rightly pointed out, it's up to them whether they want to play that way. Your rather snarky comment about packs of cards shows you weren't taking that position to begin with.
    Edited by Magenpie on March 2, 2020 1:04AM
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You dont
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you look at the title of the thread it's 'How to..' not 'Can I...' 'Should I...' The OP was asking for creative ideas to help them out, and instead of putting their brains to work, many people responded with grumpy negativity about whether this was the right game for them. This *is* the right game for them, as you've so rightly pointed out, it's up to them whether they want to play that way. Your rather snarky comment about packs of cards shows you weren't taking that position to begin with.

Yes, I quite agree with you.

Those who are denigrating the OP for "not wanting to play the game in the fun way".... really, people - there's not much fun in killing your way through a game (well.... unless you've all got "other issues").

It's really a total bummer that none of these games can provide an experience that goes beyond mindlessly killing the "bad guys".

I'd pay ten times my two subs for a game that could produce something besides "it's a daedra - KILL IT".
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just been running around in the world on my lvl 20 Argonian, wearing 5 Night's Silence and 5 Darloc Brae - no Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood skills, and I've easily avoided combat. Most things don't see me or have time to tag me. If they do, I sprint away.

True enough.

But then there are those pesky quests that go like "kill those mobs until one of them drops..." or all those midbosses you need to do in to advance...
    No matter what "crative ideas" you get, you cannot actually play most of the game without at least some killings. (Personally I use the headcanon that my non-violent characters walk up to those midbosses and start talking to find a "reasonable solution" - and then end up defending themselves when the darn NPC just won't listen! ;) )

You can however try to restrict yourself to only those times when you -absolutely- have to end some NPC (and like I said before, let your daedra/bear do the maiming...). Like run away from lots of mobs, or sneak past them (with or without NB invisibility), or many other ideas.
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    It's really a total bummer that none of these games can provide an experience that goes beyond mindlessly killing the "bad guys".
    True, and I -love- some of the questings where you have to do something -without- killing anyone. Even if its usually an optional thing... heck, with some characters I consider it a point of pride to sneak past a lot of "normal" mobs!

And yes, we do have those quests as well.

Heck, sometimes I wish that -many- quests had not one railroad setup, but... multiple options. Like... "there is the plot, there is the roadblock... you can fight your way through, or sneak your way past, or charm your way through with a disguise and some fast talking..." - I wish we had that sort of thing in ESO, multiple choices for one problem.
    Alas.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True enough.

But then there are those pesky quests that go like "kill those mobs until one of them drops..." or all those midbosses you need to do in to advance...
    No matter what "crative ideas" you get, you cannot actually play most of the game without at least some killings. (Personally I use the headcanon that my non-violent characters walk up to those midbosses and start talking to find a "reasonable solution" - and then end up defending themselves when the darn NPC just won't listen! ;) )

You can however try to restrict yourself to only those times when you -absolutely- have to end some NPC (and like I said before, let your daedra/bear do the maiming...). Like run away from lots of mobs, or sneak past them (with or without NB invisibility), or many other ideas.
    True, and I -love- some of the questings where you have to do something -without- killing anyone. Even if its usually an optional thing... heck, with some characters I consider it a point of pride to sneak past a lot of "normal" mobs!

Heck, sometimes I wish that -many- quests had not one railroad setup, but... multiple options. Like... "there is the plot, there is the roadblock... you can fight your way through, or sneak your way past, or charm your way through with a disguise and some fast talking..." - I wish we had that sort of thing in ESO, multiple choices for one problem.
    Alas.

Oh I am SO with you there! When I think back to the incredible amount of time I spent creating ways for the kids to NOT HAVE TO KILL STUFF just for XP.... You know, not one of them ever said to me even years later - gosh, it would have been so much easier to just kill our way through the castle.... So maybe that's validation by - hmmm - not sure what you'd call it....

Anyway, while I love playing FCRPGs (and occasionally I love playing MMORPGs) in general, I find the "kill it ALL" thing to be limiting and unimaginative. Were I 30 years younger (or maybe.... 40), I might have a whack at doing it differently. But now.... well, I'm not sure even how to start "going there". I can still manage the websites I have.... but goddess forbid someone decides they want all the "new bells and whistles". I'm good with security - for which my remaining clients are thankful....
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Those who are denigrating the OP for "not wanting to play the game in the fun way".... really, people - there's not much fun in killing your way through a game (well.... unless you've all got "other issues").

I'd pay ten times my two subs for a game that could produce something besides "it's a daedra - KILL IT".

Elder scrolls game? or any game? because there are plenty nonviolent games or at least games that offer a non violent path. I'm not sure how possible it is to create an Elder scrolls game that doesn't somehow come around to combat of some sort. a puzzle game deciphering elder scrolls or something, or maybe archaeological expedition of sorts (though it seems like even those keep running into dwemer constructs, or various zombies or looters and whatnot)

that said... denigrating people who enjoy combat and realize that this is a video game not real life and all these npcs we kill are just pixels is no better then denigrating OP for trying to do something different.

its a video game. its not that serious.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭

Thank you! <3
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

Elder scrolls game? or any game? because there are plenty nonviolent games or at least games that offer a non violent path. I'm not sure how possible it is to create an Elder scrolls game that doesn't somehow come around to combat of some sort. a puzzle game deciphering elder scrolls or something, or maybe archaeological expedition of sorts (though it seems like even those keep running into dwemer constructs, or various zombies or looters and whatnot)

that said... denigrating people who enjoy combat and realize that this is a video game not real life and all these npcs we kill are just pixels is no better then denigrating OP for trying to do something different.

its a video game. its not that serious.

They were not denigrating the people who enjoy combat. They were standing up for my right to ask a question and not be abused by people in their reply. Please understand the difference.
    Edited by thissocalledflower on March 2, 2020 6:01AM
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭

True enough.

Alas.

Oh I am SO with you there! When I think back to the incredible amount of time I spent creating ways for the kids to NOT HAVE TO KILL STUFF just for XP.... You know, not one of them ever said to me even years later - gosh, it would have been so much easier to just kill our way through the castle.... So maybe that's validation by - hmmm - not sure what you'd call it....

Anyway, while I love playing FCRPGs (and occasionally I love playing MMORPGs) in general, I find the "kill it ALL" thing to be limiting and unimaginative. Were I 30 years younger (or maybe.... 40), I might have a whack at doing it differently. But now.... well, I'm not sure even how to start "going there". I can still manage the websites I have.... but goddess forbid someone decides they want all the "new bells and whistles". I'm good with security - for which my remaining clients are thankful....

Just wanted to say i appreciate your contribution to this thread.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it was exactly meant like that, even though I have to agree that most people weren't very diplomatic in uttering their opinions. The thing is just that there are many games out there where you actually can go the whole game without killing anyone and it is just as viable as murdering everything left, right and center. Most stealth-based games come to mind, like the Deus Ex series for example, where there are even specific achievements for being "pacifist" throughout the whole game. This is often more challenging and fun than to just shoot or otherwise kill everyone, and I always go for this approach in these kinds of games, because they're meant for that and you neither limit yourself by doing it nor do you miss any content. Other games like the very unique Death Stranding don't require you to kill anyone either, that's not even what the gameplay is all about and you're not encouraged to kill by the game itself.

ESO, though, is absolutely not built this way and you limit your own gameplay options severely by choosing to not ever kill anyone. Sure, you can see it as a challenge just to see if it's possible, but since there are so many things and quests you absolutely won't be able to do, because not everything can be solved by sneaking past the enemies, you will definitely miss out on a lot of content - which is, I believe, what most people were referring to (although, as I said, I agree that to just blatantly say "go play a card game" or something along those lines is not the right way to go about this).
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve in game?

You could try farming nodes, treasure chests, crafting writs, fishing, sell stuff, crafting, housing, grouping up with others that don't mind you only heal & buff.

Dress to escape, e.g. invisibility potions, swift potions.

Fishing involves killing bait and fish. Therefore, fishing is out.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »

You could try farming nodes, treasure chests, crafting writs, fishing, sell stuff, crafting, housing, grouping up with others that don't mind you only heal & buff.

Also, picking flowers will kill them. So, you can't do that.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

• ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, picking flowers will kill them. So, you can't do that.

You can't heal or buff others, because then you will be an accessary to killing and stealing.

Treasure Chests are locked, so you are stealing from someone.

Crafting Writs involve using things that were alive at one time, so that is out. Then your reward is killing flowers most of the time.
    Edited by ItsMeToo on March 2, 2020 12:38PM

• harold12
    harold12
    ✭✭
    I've always been a "hero" I don't like playing the villain in video games.

The *only* thing I steal are recipes lol
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit Nightblade. Build for sneak and cloak. Khajiit is fun, but any other race will do. Just NB is important.

You can do Mageguild daylies because the NB is the most pacifist class and can go everywhere. It might be that you have to wait till someone clears the boss to get the artefact. But quite some Sheo artefacts are obtainable without combat.

You cant get a lot shards and books. Even in delves and public dungeons without combat.

Daily crafting will bring you to 50@810 after quite some dailies :) But it works and it pays well.

Almost all zones are reachable. Discovery will help to level. Maybe some helps to port to the unreachable zones and towers.

Chests will help you to get something to decon and to learn traits.

Fishing will make you money.
    Edited by mague on March 2, 2020 12:50PM