The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you do housing?

Jthomas56
Jthomas56
✭✭✭
What type of housing creations do you do? I’m interested to see what most people like to do when it comes to housing. I’m interested purely to see weather the amount of furnishings vs landscape vs structure items that ZoS make every patch is proportional to the interest from the housing community.
Edited by Jthomas56 on January 17, 2020 10:50PM

How do you do housing? 92 votes

Interior decorate prebuilt houses
53%
Maddjujuchuck-18_ESOVeritasObscurastatic_rechargeNerouynVexariusInaMoonlightJayne_DoeebondeathVulsahdaalAdamskiAldersSylvisPomsFreakin_HytteLadyNalcaryaXDark_One13Kashya_VulanoTheImperfectAethereal'Goldenanadandy 49 votes
Build custom houses
13%
krisor67_ESOSilentFox22CarthelionRebornV3xAliyavanaKrainor1974ZypheranThannazzarLukosCreydenJthomas56DosuulTeruKisuke 12 votes
Landscape design
6%
NestorSantieClawsGorakAjaxandrielhondelinkDarkmage1337 6 votes
Create scenes or sculptures
1%
MehrunesFlagon 1 vote
Other
26%
DarcyMardinAelorinIruil_ESOGarpleystarlizard70ub17_ESOElsonsobayushi2005StreegaCaffeinatedMayhemAhzekJoosef_KivikilpiswankeryDefiltedShadow_AkulaRaddlemanNumber7StrandedMonkeyMysanneSturmfaengerJaraalmayasunrising 24 votes
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I decorate the pre-built houses so that they fit my characters. My Vestige and Master Angler has a beach and a coral reef for whenever she decides to take a break from adventuring and just wants to kick back and fish off the coast of sunny Stros M'kai.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I build transit hubs. :smile:

More seriously, I want to get into housing, but I am not sure what I want to do, or if I have enough resources to do it. So, I wait.
    Edited by Elsonso on January 18, 2020 12:15AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I've seen some people do interesting things with custom built houses, I don't think the system lends itself super well to that. Both the limited materials and limited slots are an issue. The existing structures on properties also have to be wrestled into any creation.

I might try a custom build if I ever have enough gold spare to blow on Coldharbour but I preferred the pre-flattened version. I feel like the current version just invites me to throw down crafting stations and walk away.

• swankery
    swankery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    All of the above.
    https://www.twitch.tv/swankery/ Housing Enthusiast! DDA founder/rep/Twitter@Swankery1@Swankery PC/NA https://www.youtube.com/c/swankery
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I buy my houses unfurnished so I can create all of the contents myself. I also like to put plants and trees in the landscaping too and try to make some interesting outdoor spaces. It’s a slow process, even my primary is just over half full.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    What I do is buy too many houses, make or acquire furnishings and dump them haphazardly into the big houses, and then lament my inability to create anything that's anywhere near as creative and gorgeous as the housing experts do. Forget LtP; I need to LtDecorate.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly decorate, but I’ve experimented with custom builds and would like to create more, and am currently working on something that might best fit in the landscape category. :)
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I prefer to buy houses that have interior and exterior spaces so decorate the interior and landscape the exterior. Boy that sounds a lot like what I do around my real life house.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Elsonso wrote: »

More seriously, I want to get into housing, but I am not sure what I want to do, or if I have enough resources to do it. So, I wait.

If you start with an inn room, or a smaller home (like Twin Arches, or Autumn's Gate), you should be able to do it without too many problems.

Quite a lot of the furnishings cost not much more (and sometimes less!) than the materials used to make them cost, now.

So, it should be doable, even if someone is quite new and doesn't craft much.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a good idea to add "Structural Modification" to the list of options.
    Most people seem to go this route (in my experience) where they add extra additions/floors to an already existing home.
    But I personally wouldn't call that a "Custom House" in comparison to people who literally build full custom houses.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mainly prebuilt with decorating. I have built add on structures in some homes. I am open to building homes from scratch. I dabble here and there. I have plans for a home or two that involve building additional buildings but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I am currently saving up gold for an expensive home and that's delaying other things.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landscape design
    I generally don't do much with interiors, unless that is all the home is. I don't like loading twice, i want to pop in the yard, do what i need at my crafting stations.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    A bit of everything, although I have not built a whole house from scratch yet.

You could try to do it by ....doing it. Take a small home and just start. Don't make the mistake by thinking everything has to be perfect from the start, its a process. Call it your practice house, and allow yourself everything. The undo function, screenshots from constellations you liked or addons will save you from "grave mistakes", and any furnishings you don't need in the end you can sell again, so you will not loose too much gold here, although housing costs, like other hobbies^^.
    I have my primary for years now and still change details, its an evolution, and this is fun too. :)
    Edited by Sturmfaenger on January 19, 2020 8:49AM
    PC/EU
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    i do a mixture of all of these I would say, but with a heavy focus on redesigns. I also like making fun gnome like devices - like my T.A.R.D.I.S. , Elevator, and jukebox. I can honestly say, with what the vanilla game currently offers, and the EHT add-on there hasn't been much I've wanted to do that I couldn't. It's pretty fab. And some of the stuff that other community members have built has just been mind blowing.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landscape design
    Interior decorate prebuilt houses too, but I focus on exteriors in general. I dislike the idea that I have the "same place" like other players so it has to be set in a unique new landscape!

and also I always take care to keep my housing as lore-friendly as possible - realistic structures, relevant furnitures (given the location roleplay-wise), and so on
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    A bit of each, really, but custom builds have a special place in my heart. I love it coherent (one dominant style) and I love it big. At the end of the day, it's the "experience" which makes me revisit the house... and I like to be kept in awe.

LOL and my first builds were lore-friendly, interior-only, traditional houses.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I often buy a house with decorations, because usually it is a good deal and a lot cheaper then filling all slots yourself.

Most of my houses are character bound: I make a character and I make a short story in my head. Then I try to find skills, outfits, armor, mounts and non combet pets, and a house to suit that character. I will try to post an example later.

I have tried to build something myself, but i am still experimenting on that one. Although I think I did a rather good job on making the Aldmeri Grotto a bit more unusual, but still fitting for Eso.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    What I do is buy too many houses, make or acquire furnishings and dump them haphazardly into the big houses, and then lament my inability to create anything that's anywhere near as creative and gorgeous as the housing experts do. Forget LtP; I need to LtDecorate.

I know that feeling: I did not even start to decorate the last house i bought, and I allready want to buy a new one lol.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I build strongholds.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Landscape design
    This one has never purchased a furnished home.

She prefers open landscapes and as much outdoor space as possible.

Khajiit must have a good idea of what she will do with a space that is different to what she has done before. A home is a home and this one can only live in so many places - so there must be temples, shops, theatres and the like - other uses for the space. Preferably a space that can be used by Clan Claws for something or that has a public function - for example a place of gathering for some reason.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Build custom houses
    I really liked the Coldharbor home, as it give me space to build something from scratch. I have since built an Imperial ruin - turned Necroamcer lab, with a surrounding garden, living area and trophy area. I hope we get more "blank-slate" homes like this.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I mostly decorate pre-builts, challenging myself to make the most of the home's unique character.
    I also do a lot of landscaping.

I will also alter homes to add/remove features, or naturally close off space that isn't decorated.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on January 22, 2020 5:27PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other

I do the same thing. I've have around a dozen small houses I use to transport my characters around. But only the Sleek Creek house and Snugpod are the only ones that are furnished.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly interior decorate prebuilt houses for my characters, though I sometimes also build houses from scratch (if possible and applicable) or do some landscaping. I seriously suck at landscaping, though, and tend to remove most of the stuff I placed after a session because I liked the original garden better.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • StrandedMonkey
    StrandedMonkey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    i usually use my house for the wayshrine outside of it but id like to have a whole crafting setup and a banker there to make it worth while

forgemaster falls please dont fail me
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I go all out decorating the interior and then try to do a few minor things outside, if slots allow, since I'm terrible at landscaping.

All of my homes are homes, some are homes for particular characters, and others are homes for my characters while they're out adventuring in Tamriel. Places to rest and relax after a long journey, and a home base while they're in the area. Most homes, if space allows, have guest bedrooms. And all reflect the local culture.

Sadly, many of my homes still lie empty or are only sparsely furnished - or are warehouses for furnishings I might use some day.
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'd love to have the time to craft my own deco for my house, but as it sits now, it's just a storage room for CS chests filled with stuff to decon and crafting motifs
    Edited by BisDasBlutGefriert on January 22, 2020 11:17PM
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create scenes or sculptures
    Would say more create images than create scenes or scultpures.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    All of the above.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    All of the above.