The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO Sorely Needs Adjustable Difficulty Settings

• GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dracofyre wrote: »
    would be cool to have "options" for selecting hardmode solo zones instead of going in normal dungeons.
    overlands are meant to teach newer players to "explore" new areas first, and will see warning "you are entering group area" so they can back off if they are not ready.

I don't know if I agree that overland is meant to teach newer players to "explore." Once you play through even your starting alliance zones, there are still two more alliances of the same difficulty. That's a lot to invest if the goal is to simply teach new players.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked how this thread started out about having more than 2 levels of difficulty for dungeons, only to quickly see that was not the real complaint but one that has been thoroughly discussed about why overland is not designed for vets and the boosted rewards that is always requested with it.

Sigh.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    You want to make the game harder handicap your toons gear with unenchanted or non set armors lower leveled equipment etc.
    would = harder difficulty

And 5x set pieces x 2 + a monster helm and shoulder would = easy mode

Everybody always talks about gimping your character to make the game more difficult, take off gear, remove CP, etc. But why should I have to do that? I worked long and hard to make my character strong, get good gear, etc. It would be nice to have a normal and veteran overland mode, with better rewards for playing on vet.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sevn wrote: »
    I liked how this thread started out about having more than 2 levels of difficulty for dungeons, only to quickly see that was not the real complaint but one that has been thoroughly discussed about why overland is not designed for vets and the boosted rewards that is always requested with it.

Sigh.

The first post covers both dungeons and overland.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be fine with them adding lower difficulty settings for dungeon dlc and white gear drops & less or no achievements at all.
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    rather than adjustable difficulty, i think ZoS just need to implement a way to disable CP all together when questing, with food/drink debuf, active skill, or even just toggle-able button, i think thats enough
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Youre asking for a singleplayer option in a multiplayer game.

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.

For you maybe. But not for anyone just starting. They don't have sets, champion points, food buffs, practiced rotations or years of experience.

My friend just started the game and his experience with a low level toon compared to mine is like night and day. Enemies melt before me while he struggles to deal with more than one trash mob.

There are plenty of ways of gimping yourselves without adding a slider. Removing most of the things I listed above would be a start. People need to realize that overland is not for the endgamer. It is not supposed to be the ultimate experience. Dungeons, Trials and PvP is supposed to be where youre putting all of that experience and high level accessible gear to the test.

Even for starters the game is fairly easy if you can comprehend what you’re doing and are not completely new to roleplaying games. For genre newcomers it might need some training but then the game is as easy as it can get in an MMORPG.

Single mobs are a joke for every build, three mob groups might be tougher but see above.

By the way, none of my characters has Champion Points or anything else than what they own themselves used until the reach level 50.

IT

IS

NOT

SUPPOSED

TO

BE

HARD

IT

IS

OVERLAND,

NOT

ENDGAME.

This doesn’t make any sense. Where is it stated that overland content must be incredibly easy? And you know there’s a difference between easy and hard. What about... challenging?

Not talking about Veteran Levels hard, that was too much in some cases. But at least harder than it is now. Most problems are caused by the horrible scaling technique though they implemented with One Tamriel where your character starts super strong and gets significantly weaker until level 49 / 50 (no CP) where you are basically weaker than on level 10.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 2, 2020 12:59PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no logical way to include a difficulty slider in a mmo, when will ppl stop treating this like freaking skyrim. Want to scale difficulty go play a single player game. Overland on ANY mmo tends to be easy. And with the right build the entire game can be a snooze fest.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Youre asking for a singleplayer option in a multiplayer game.

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.

For you maybe. But not for anyone just starting. They don't have sets, champion points, food buffs, practiced rotations or years of experience.

My friend just started the game and his experience with a low level toon compared to mine is like night and day. Enemies melt before me while he struggles to deal with more than one trash mob.

There are plenty of ways of gimping yourselves without adding a slider. Removing most of the things I listed above would be a start. People need to realize that overland is not for the endgamer. It is not supposed to be the ultimate experience. Dungeons, Trials and PvP is supposed to be where youre putting all of that experience and high level accessible gear to the test.

Even for starters the game is fairly easy if you can comprehend what you’re doing and are not completely new to roleplaying games. For genre newcomers it might need some training but then the game is as easy as it can get in an MMORPG.

Single mobs are a joke for every build, three mob groups might be tougher but see above.

By the way, none of my characters has Champion Points or anything else than what they own themselves used until the reach level 50.

IT

IS

NOT

SUPPOSED

TO

BE

HARD

IT

IS

OVERLAND,

NOT

ENDGAME.

This doesn’t make any sense. Where is it stated that overland content must be incredibly easy? And you know there’s a difference between easy and hard. What about... challenging?

Not talking about Veteran Levels hard, that was too much in some cases. But at least harder than it is now. Most problems are caused by the horrible scaling technique though they implemented with One Tamriel where your character starts super strong and gets significantly weaker until level 49 / 50 (no CP) where you are basically weaker than on level 10.

........overland is supposed to be easy. It is meant to be explored and have fun with. There are dungeons, trials, battlegrounds, and Cyrodiil for all types of challenges depending on what kind of player you are.

If you need overland content to be challenging then you need to play another game or 2 to spread out the content in ESO. You've achieved becoming the 1% but also has drawbacks, this being one of them.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

Not really, it just says the game isnt hard enough then goes in-depth about how people should be able to have changing difficulty but gets very specific about loot table drops for easier difficulties.

All these topics turn out the same way , "The game needs to be harder, so let me tell you how we can update the loot tables."

We get it, the real reason is obvious
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you can always make yourself weaker...and there is vet mode.
    Also remember that there are people that are starting out at lvl 1, with no champion points, no gear etc... not everyone is fully geared at 810...

but this is EXACTLY the reason why i am always saying that vertical progression in mmo's is sh*** and horizontal progression is far superior - no power creep but instead interesting new mechanics and options (But of course this requires more effort)

I actually tested this as an argonian before, no cp allocated, ran around naked light attacking, no heals, and was fine.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love these posts. All gold meta gear, max CP, good grasp on mechanics and combat.

It’s too easy!!

Well yeah. Duh.

Not everyone is yolo swag 420. You want harder content? Throw on some white gear from a rack, lose the food Buff and dive face first into content.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The game is fine as it is, it's casual gamer friendly.

Want harder stuff? Run the veteran hard modes. And vet +3 hard mode for some trials.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game is fine as it is, it's casual gamer friendly.

Want harder stuff? Run the veteran hard modes. And vet +3 hard mode for some trials.

Saying casuals need this level of easy is just insulting them.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

Not really, it just says the game isnt hard enough then goes in-depth about how people should be able to have changing difficulty but gets very specific about loot table drops for easier difficulties.

All these topics turn out the same way , "The game needs to be harder, so let me tell you how we can update the loot tables."

... because the loot tables are the key consequence that needs to be considered when offering the ability to change difficulties. I don't know why you need that explained to you.

Again, it looks like you just want to argue and troll. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    There is no logical way to include a difficulty slider in a mmo, when will ppl stop treating this like freaking skyrim. Want to scale difficulty go play a single player game. Overland on ANY mmo tends to be easy. And with the right build the entire game can be a snooze fest.

A logical framework already exists. Normal and Veteran difficulties exist in dungeons. Expanding on these frameworks and applying them to overland would be a start. Right now, a quest about a Daedric invasion that overran a town is not a threat. Maybe, if we could select a different difficulty, it could be a threat.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand people.

Why do people give a crap about how 'easy' Overland is???

Overland is Flavor. It is Fluff. It is Filler. It is Color. It is Background. It is NOT the Main focus of the game.

Gee, so you can go straight to what you need to do, without a whole lot of challenge. SO WHAT???

If this is what you have to complain about, then you have it pretty good.

IMHO
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many MMO'S have this feature? More than one? Sounds like the solution is to play a game that fits your needs than request devs waste time and resources because you don't want to play the content designed for you or are just not good enough to play the content designed for vets.

"I worked hard to become OP and now the easy content is even easier, fix it for me!"

If it was a viable option and a profitable one don't you think they'd already have it? They gain nothing retuning the entire overworld for 1% of vets who simply want better rewards. Doesn't matter how "challenging" new content is, vets will gear up, smash it, and be right back here complaining.

You all have a lovely day, I've seen this show a few times and it always ends the same. Same names same lame argument.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these posts. All gold meta gear, max CP, good grasp on mechanics and combat.

It’s too easy!!

Well yeah. Duh.

Not everyone is yolo swag 420. You want harder content? Throw on some white gear from a rack, lose the food Buff and dive face first into content.

Except it is still easy. I started up an old trial account, no ESO plus, no food buffs, no CP, only using block/dodgeroll when the game told me to, no crafted gear and the ONLY challenging fight I found so far is the werewolf in the Daggerfall City questline.

Aside from the already mentioned werewolf the only difference is the fights are longer, not more challenging.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

... because the loot tables are the key consequence that needs to be considered when offering the ability to change difficulties. I don't know why you need that explained to you.

Again, it looks like you just want to argue and troll. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Why? Why can't the loot tables stay the same? Why couldn't you add in a harder than vet difficulty that just gives you an achievement and keeps loot the same as vet content. I mean the title of this post is "ESO sorely needs adjustable difficulty settings" but it's never about that, it's about "imagine the better loot we could get out of it on harder difficulties"

You can call me a troll all you like to avoid answering the questions but this conversation always boils down to loot. The same people saying the game isn't hard enough are the same people that always want to change the loot table functionality and essentially make it easier to get gear.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

Why? Why can't the loot tables stay the same? Why couldn't you add in a harder than vet difficulty that just gives you an achievement and keeps loot the same as vet content. I mean the title of this post is "ESO sorely needs adjustable difficulty settings" but it's never about that, it's about "imagine the better loot we could get out of it on harder difficulties"

You can call me a troll all you like to avoid answering the questions but this conversation always boils down to loot. The same people saying the game isn't hard enough are the same people that always want to change the loot table functionality and essentially make it easier to get gear.

The loot tables would change with the difficulty to maintain consistency with the precedent that has already been set. The precedent already exists in normal/veteran dungeons to have differing gear levels for differing difficulties (blue gear for normal/purple gear for veteran). If more levels of difficulty were to be added, then the levels of gear would adjust accordingly. I don't see why it's not worth considering. Achievements could certainly be part of that, too.

What do you mean that the post is "never about" ESO sorely needing adjustable difficulty settings? Read the 1st and 3rd paragraphs of the post. Those paragraphs specifically speak to the extreme ends of the difficulty spectrum when new content is released, and how that doesn't cater to the experience of the individual. You either completely ignored that, which points to a reading comprehension problem, or you are simply lying. Either way it's a great example of why I think you just want to argue and/or troll.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    I just don't understand people.

Why do people give a crap about how 'easy' Overland is???

Overland is Flavor. It is Fluff. It is Filler. It is Color. It is Background. It is NOT the Main focus of the game.

Gee, so you can go straight to what you need to do, without a whole lot of challenge. SO WHAT???

If this is what you have to complain about, then you have it pretty good.

IMHO

It also encompasses a good 3/4ths of the game. I know I speak for more than just myself when i say that when a new chapter is announced more than anything I am basically looking at it in the form of "pay for chapter, get access to sets c, y and a and maybe a skill line or class".

I love how people decide to draw this line where since its overland and storyline based, it should in no way engage and challenge seasoned players. And even then, frankly, saying overland is even properly tuned and a decent challenge for new players is a downright insult.

No one is talking about extreme vet levels of difficulty here, just something that can engage players, not insult their intelligence. I too have been on a long break, part of the reason is because outside of highly specifc vet pve stuff, there is virtually nothing I can do alone with my characters that provides any semblance of menagiful engagement while have even the mildest incentives.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sigh.

You are incredibly naive if you believe for a second that a proper incentive does not need to be in place when incorporating higher pushback for win/completion condtions in an online mmorpg and to think people are content enough that the "story is it's own reward".

Seasoned players are already swimming In more gear than they know what to do with, it's not about wanting to farm gear easier, it's a combination of wanting an outlet for which a player's character progression can be expressed outside of an instanced pve trial or dungeon environment.

If I had an overland environment were I simply aquired purples instead of blues and maybe some other commodities more abundantly, while having to use my brain and abilities to play smart and fight an actual engaging quest boss once and a while I would be very happy. Matt Firor has already expressed interest and acknlowege the concern about general game difficulty for seasoned players. Frankly I'm simply hoping their next mmo that is being worked on learnes lessons from this.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh.

The loot tables would change with the difficulty to maintain consistency with the precedent that has already been set. The precedent already exists in normal/veteran dungeons to have differing gear levels for differing difficulties (blue gear for normal/purple gear for veteran). If more levels of difficulty were to be added, then the levels of gear would adjust accordingly. I don't see why it's not worth considering. Achievements could certainly be part of that, too.

What do you mean that the post is "never about" ESO sorely needing adjustable difficulty settings? Read the 1st and 3rd paragraphs of the post. Those paragraphs specifically speak to the extreme ends of the difficulty spectrum when new content is released, and how that doesn't cater to the experience of the individual. You either completely ignored that, which points to a reading comprehension problem, or you are simply lying. Either way it's a great example of why I think you just want to argue and/or troll.

Again, why? The precedent is whatever ZOS wants it to be, I mean if difficulty is the precedent you're talk about then shouldn't gear like that follow a trials loot system, where the HM = perfected gear of the same quality? That would make more sense and be more consistent with the current loot system in ESO. It's also only worth considering to you, not to everyone. I think all you should get is an achievement like every other instance of increased difficulty in the game because that is the current precedent set.

What do you mean that the post is "never about" ESO sorely needing adjustable difficulty settings? Read the 1st and 3rd paragraphs of the post. Those paragraphs specifically speak to the extreme ends of the difficulty spectrum when new content is released, and how that doesn't cater to the experience of the individual.

Paragraph one doesn't set out any actual points, it's just an opinion about what constitutes fun. It also answers its own question about the difficulty slider and why it is used in single player games and not multiplayer games. You can't really scale content to be fun for the individual in a multiplayer experience when every individual is different which includes their idea of fun. You also wouldn't be able to satisfy everyone and if you are admittedly talking "extreme ends of the difficulty spectrum" then that is where those ideas belong, on the extreme ends of the spectrum. You don't sacrifice the fun of 99% of your playerbase because someone with 16 lvl 50 toons that's cleared all of the content has now decided your content is too easy.

If you want to see what happens when the difficulty is abruptly changed in a multiplayer experience just look at BF5 TTK changes and the outrage that caused.

You either completely ignored that, which points to a reading comprehension problem, or you are simply lying. Either way it's a great example of why I think you just want to argue and/or troll.

No, it's because they don't actually further anything, paragraph 3 is basically "imagine if bandits were harder to kill". I'm not sure what you expected me to answer from that. "Oh wow, you mean regular bandits are going to be so hard they are going to give me a thrill now to kill?" sign me up! "I just spent all day killing daedric princes and slaying dragons but man who will i ever maintain my immersion if these 3 regular guy bandits don't kill me now."

It's only about fun if you've accomplished everything else in the game
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Sigh.

You are incredibly naive if you believe for a second that a proper incentive does not need to be in place when incorporating higher pushback for win/completion condtions in an online mmorpg and to think people are content enough that the "story is it's own reward".

Seasoned players are already swimming In more gear than they know what to do with, it's not about wanting to farm gear easier, it's a combination of wanting an outlet for which a player's character progression can be expressed outside of an instanced pve trial or dungeon environment.

If I had an overland environment were I simply aquired purples instead of blues and maybe some other commodities more abundantly, while having to use my brain and abilities to play smart and fight an actual engaging quest boss once and a while I would be very happy. Matt Firor has already expressed interest and acknlowege the concern about general game difficulty for seasoned players. Frankly I'm simply hoping their next mmo that is being worked on learnes lessons from this.

Isn't the increased difficulty supposed to be the reward of asking for increased difficulty? It's weird that everyone that insists the difficulty has to be changed and made harder immediately goes into the loot. No, it doesn't need to change

to think people are content enough that the "story is it's own reward".

I'm sure all those people that read books are going to be very sad to hear that. I'm also glad to know that no one plays MMOs for the story and lore surrounding it, they play because no one is going to take them seriously IRL if they're not bragging about 100k DPS on a target dummy. Personally I'm with you, why do they even have stories in MMOs? It's not like that's the only reason there's overland in the first place.

Seasoned players are already swimming In more gear than they know what to do with, it's not about wanting to farm gear easier

Cool, well hate to break it to you chief but changing the difficulty/loot tables is going to affect the entire player base, not just the 1% like you. The 99% aren't swimming in gear and mats

it's a combination of wanting an outlet for which a player's character progression can be expressed outside of an instanced pve trial or dungeon environment.

If only there was a large overland zone where you could use all your PVE equipment and really go crazy with your builds. You didn't have to chase the meta and do your own thing and the best part is every enemy has scaling difficulty. Some are really easy and some are so tough that unless you have your burst and rotation down they're virtually unkillable. Not only that the difficulty is really hard because the bosses are all controlled by other players.

If only ZOS had though of making that a reality.............

If I had an overland environment were I simply aquired purples instead of blues and maybe some other commodities more abundantly, while having to use my brain and abilities to play smart and fight an actual engaging quest boss once and a while I would be very happy.

This is what I mean when I say it's not about the difficulty. If it was about the difficulty you'd just want harder enemies, but you're saying that overland loot shouldn't be RNG but should be tied to difficulty so you are rewarded more by it. Overland exists as fluff and it will always be fluff because that is all it is ever supposed to be. It is filler and nothing more and changing the difficulty isn't going to make it anymore engaging than it already is.
    Edited by Rave the Histborn on January 3, 2020 3:18AM
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craglorn is case-in-point about what happens when ZOS tries to design meaningfully difficult overland content.

While there is still a subgroup of hardcore MMO players who miss the old days of needing groups of players just to complete content outside of instances (nostalgic for EQ, maybe?) the much greater majority of MMO players these days seem to prefer solo content that can be completed without the assistance of others.

ZOS made a mistake when they borked group questing at launch (i.e. it was nearly impossible to quest in a group due to phasing issues, and if you did actually complete some quests together, rewards were diminished) and ended up progressively nerfing the quest content until solo players could successfully complete most of that content.

When this game launched, I recall many, many complaints about the difficulty of the main quest for Molag Bal as well as complaints about individual quest bosses, usually the end bosses for AD/DC/EP zone storylines, because other players could not assist you with those quests. Nowadays, with difficulty "frozen" at CP160, even the latest content in Elsweyr is no more difficult to complete solo than the content was in Orsinium, Summerset, or Murkmire. World bosses and pub dungeons can be soloed with a bit of work.

That being said, my fear is that if they added a second "tier" of difficulty for overland questing to appeal to the hardcore players who miss the old-style MMO questing, that tier would not be utilized nearly enough to justify the investment ZOS would have to make to create the system and the content. There would have to be some extremely meaningful, rare, and useful rewards to get the more casual players enticed into doing the harder content, whether solo or group-based. To me, this is why Craglorn was a "one-off" experiment for ZOS instead of a game plan for all future end-game zones: the return on investment was poor and mostly resulted in players complaining about difficulty and/or avoiding the zone entirely, which defeats the entire purpose of making the content in the first place.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE