The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO Sorely Needs Adjustable Difficulty Settings

• Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When DLC comes out it often follows the same boring to extreme difficulty settings. It combines laughably easy content (overland quests) with very unforgiving content (dungeons that you would be insane to group-finder for). Why does it have to be so extreme on both ends of the spectrum? Can't ZOS just allow us to change the difficulty of the game so that we could make it FUN for the individual? I know... that sounds insane to suggest for a modern video game.

ZOS could go ahead and alter rewards to compensate for difficulty adjustments. Want to run a dungeon on Novice, Normal, Veteran, or Hard? Then you get lower to higher quality items, less or more gold, and less or more tokens/keys. That dungeon helmet you want that is only available on Veteran difficulty could now be had at white quality for 20 completions of the dungeon on Novice difficulty. Is it a perfect solution? Maybe not, but at least some of the more casual players can enjoy some of the dungeon content that they would probably never touch.

Overland could now be more exciting too. You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!

God, this again

You can't change the difficulty because this is an MMO, I know it's insane to suggest that in a modern video game not everything act like it is platformer from 1992 where you needed those settings. It is actually insane though to suggest the bosses can be hard difficulty and normal at the same time, it's not going to work, and the people asking for this are the same people complaining that the monk boss in So. Elsweyr is too hard. How would you even implement it? You'd have to segregate the player base by difficulty unless you wanna see some serious glitches.

So you want lesser difficulty with no actual rewards? Changing how the loot tree works isn't going to entice anyone to do more dungeons, especially if they can just do novice and upgrade everything. Your suggestion doesn't make the game better or more fun, it just cuts out the grind and doesn't challenge anyone to get better. You're supposed to work to the harder/DLC content not have it so easy you can walk through it which will happen. You will have to lock the difficulties to keep it to low level toons if not why am I going to spend 45min+ doing a vet/hard DLC dungeon when I could just run to all the bosses on novice with a group, smoke them, and clear the dungeon in a couple minutes and get the same reward.

Overland isn't supposed to be excited, it is something to do while you run around and do quests, queue for dungeons/BGs/PVP is there just to be there.

"You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. "

So you're supposed to be soulless hero tasked with saving Cyrodiil from Daedric princes, Dragons, and the sload but those 3 regular guy bandits are supposed to be an actual threat? No

"We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!"

We already do
  • H3IIi0N
    H3IIi0N
    ✭✭
    Isn’t that what Tamriel One basically is ?

Before that zones had specific levels. After beating the main story you started over in another faction and everything was now veteran rank 1.

I prefer the current system.
    Denubis Djinn Dunmer DK - XB1 NA EP
    Derpy Derpwnz Khajit NB - XB1 NA AD
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

God, this again

You can't change the difficulty because this is an MMO, I know it's insane to suggest that in a modern video game not everything act like it is platformer from 1992 where you needed those settings. It is actually insane though to suggest the bosses can be hard difficulty and normal at the same time, it's not going to work, and the people asking for this are the same people complaining that the monk boss in So. Elsweyr is too hard. How would you even implement it? You'd have to segregate the player base by difficulty unless you wanna see some serious glitches.

So you want lesser difficulty with no actual rewards? Changing how the loot tree works isn't going to entice anyone to do more dungeons, especially if they can just do novice and upgrade everything. Your suggestion doesn't make the game better or more fun, it just cuts out the grind and doesn't challenge anyone to get better. You're supposed to work to the harder/DLC content not have it so easy you can walk through it which will happen. You will have to lock the difficulties to keep it to low level toons if not why am I going to spend 45min+ doing a vet/hard DLC dungeon when I could just run to all the bosses on novice with a group, smoke them, and clear the dungeon in a couple minutes and get the same reward.

Overland isn't supposed to be excited, it is something to do while you run around and do quests, queue for dungeons/BGs/PVP is there just to be there.

"You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. "

So you're supposed to be soulless hero tasked with saving Cyrodiil from Daedric princes, Dragons, and the sload but those 3 regular guy bandits are supposed to be an actual threat? No

"We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!"

We already do

And I'll add.. we CAN already adjust the difficulty of the game! Make a new character, don't allocate CP, don't equip armor. Maximum difficulty when you hit 50! If one more person whines "but I want it to be diffcult wearing my BiS armor with full CP and OP cheese!" I'm gonna scream.

Want difficult? Make a Stamina Altmer Templar tank. Or a Magicka Bosmer Nightblade healer. Don't wear dungeon/trial armor. Don't stand in that corner where you don't take boss damage. Stop blocking, only roll dodge. Stop dodging, only block. Set challenges for yourself: don't use pots, only use 1 bar. "Difficulty" in am MMO is up to you, which is great! You don't have to wait on the devs, do it yourself.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on December 31, 2019 4:44PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When DLC comes out it often follows the same boring to extreme difficulty settings. It combines laughably easy content (overland quests) with very unforgiving content (dungeons that you would be insane to group-finder for). Why does it have to be so extreme on both ends of the spectrum? Can't ZOS just allow us to change the difficulty of the game so that we could make it FUN for the individual? I know... that sounds insane to suggest for a modern video game.

ZOS could go ahead and alter rewards to compensate for difficulty adjustments. Want to run a dungeon on Novice, Normal, Veteran, or Hard? Then you get lower to higher quality items, less or more gold, and less or more tokens/keys. That dungeon helmet you want that is only available on Veteran difficulty could now be had at white quality for 20 completions of the dungeon on Novice difficulty. Is it a perfect solution? Maybe not, but at least some of the more casual players can enjoy some of the dungeon content that they would probably never touch.

Overland could now be more exciting too. You could ramp up the difficulty to actually make it feel like that delve full of bandits is a threat, rather than just running by all of them and dropping AOE damage and heals on the boss. We could [gasp], actually play the content as it was likely intended to be played!

God, this again

We already do

See bold^

Posts like this make me laugh because I wonder if you are really trying to have a discussion. You act, in the premise of some of your arguments, as if you know exactly what ESO is "supposed to" be. That means that you are making a lot of assumptions, and some are just silly.

You said, "Overland isn't supposed to be excit[ing]." Do you really think that is ZOS' goal? Do you think ZOS has a sticky note taped to the computer of every overland developer that says, Remember, overland content is not supposed to be exciting.

Again, that just reads silly. Sounds like you just want to argue.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy ESO questing, but haven't bothered for years because combat is *only* tedium because it's so braindead. I don't know what anyone gets out of it.

The gameplay ends up being:
    - follow waypoint arrow to destination
    - obliterate opponents within 2 seconds before they can finish their dialog
    - watch scripted sequence
    - read quest dialog
    - repeat

Where is the game here? There is none. It's an inefficient method of delivering an extremely lightweight story. Sort of like tv.
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Youre asking for a singleplayer option in a multiplayer game.

I would like to point out that Star Trek Online has scalable difficulty in "overland" questing. So it's not quite so cut-and-dried as your response.

Also the mis-named leveless content of One Tamriel has scalable difficulty.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something have to be done, I would have liked doing overland questing but it's not fun when you kill the final quest boss under 5 seconds.
    Sure I guess the low CP people need to have it easier, but why should us 810's suffer from it?
    It's sooo boring steam rolling everything in the world.

Drop your CP, and change your gear to whites without any set bonus. Voila, your difficulty is increased.

I would like to point out that Star Trek Online has scalable difficulty in "overland" questing. So it's not quite so cut-and-dried as your response.

Yes, and the quests are instanced in STO, there aren't anything in the open world unlike in ESO.
    Edited by Ydrisselle on December 31, 2019 8:12PM
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

God, this again

We already do

See bold^

Posts like this make me laugh because I wonder if you are really trying to have a discussion. You act, in the premise of some of your arguments, as if you know exactly what ESO is "supposed to" be. That means that you are making a lot of assumptions, and some are just silly.

You said, "Overland isn't supposed to be excit[ing]." Do you really think that is ZOS' goal? Do you think ZOS has a sticky note taped to the computer of every overland developer that says, Remember, overland content is not supposed to be exciting.

Well, you can laugh all you want but it doesn't help your argument. I am trying to have a discussion but it's hard when people like you start their response by poisoning the well. You're telling me that I can't "know exactly what ESO is supposed to be" which implies that you do, but reading your post I don't think you understand what MMOs are supposed to be let alone ESO.

Do you really think overland is supposed to be more exciting than other content? Do you really think that overland is supposed to be such a difficult grind that it's on par with dungeons, trials, etc?

"Do you think ZOS has a sticky note taped to the computer of every overland developer that says, Remember, overland content is not supposed to be exciting."

Do you think you can stick to the things I've said and not hit me with your own strawman arguments that you create and then slay? Do you really think ZOS wants you to hang out in overland all day? If overland is such a crazy important part why are 2 of the 4 DLCs they release every year dungeon only with no overland? Hmmmm maybe it's because they've added other things in the game to pass your time and the overland content isn't supposed to be difficult or be played like that. Just a thought from someone with actual game playtime.

Maybe respond to me when you can actually discuss your points because it doesn't seem like you're able to. Maybe we can add some difficulty settings to life to make it easier for you to respond to actual points and not criticisms you make up.
    Edited by Rave the Histborn on January 1, 2020 4:24PM
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

STO can do that because every single mission is a completely private instance unless you team up with someone. That's not how ESO works. Or basically every other MMO out there. STO is a complete outlier and they'd have to rebuild how this entire game works so that each player get their own private instance for questing to do this.
    What further hilarious in bringing up STO is that level scaling in that game is notoriously terrible if you're teamed with anyone not of your level. Both up and down is ridiculous and if the ESO players were subjected to it everyone would be screaming bloody murder in the forum. So bad example in more than one way.

Edit: Finally I've lost track of the number of times STO in the forum, reddit and elsewhere have been accused of being a single player game with a bit of multi player options on the side because of this structure. So all around not a great choice, unless you wanted to prove the point.
    Edited by redgreensunset on January 1, 2020 6:01PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

God, this again

We already do

See bold^

Well, you can laugh all you want but it doesn't help your argument. I am trying to have a discussion but it's hard when people like you start their response by poisoning the well. You're telling me that I can't "know exactly what ESO is supposed to be" which implies that you do, but reading your post I don't think you understand what MMOs are supposed to be let alone ESO.

Do you really think overland is supposed to be more exciting than other content? Do you really think that overland is supposed to be such a difficult grind that it's on par with dungeons, trials, etc?

"Do you think ZOS has a sticky note taped to the computer of every overland developer that says, Remember, overland content is not supposed to be exciting."

Do you think you can stick to the things I've said and not hit me with your own strawman arguments that you create and then slay? Do you really think ZOS wants you to hang out in overland all day? If overland is such a crazy important part why are 2 of the 4 DLCs they release every year dungeon only with no overland? Hmmmm maybe it's because they've added other things in the game to pass your time and the overland content isn't supposed to be difficult or be played like that. Just a thought from someone with actual game playtime.

Maybe respond to me when you can actually discuss your points because it doesn't seem like you're able to. Maybe we can add some difficulty settings to life to make it easier for you to respond to actual points and not criticisms you make up.

^This confirms my original observation. You just want to argue. Be well.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

God, this again

We already do

See bold^

^This confirms my original observation. You just want to argue. Be well.

Confirms mine as well that you're just complaining to complain. You arent able to deal with valid criticism and questions when you're asked.

But have a good new year friend, all the best
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not certain that is correct. I have not played STO but it has some open world and instanced areas. Scaling like this is easy to do with instanced questing. SWTOR has done similar but only for two groups of instanced quests, not the majority of the game.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be impossible to do, but barring individual instances which would tend to the empty side for overland content, the only way I see to accomplish this would be to basically have the game gimp your toon.

This could potentially give you what you want, but would add another layer to the calculations the server needs to accomplish.
    A single monster can very well have a buff that only affects those playing at high difficulty.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    Something have to be done, I would have liked doing overland questing but it's not fun when you kill the final quest boss under 5 seconds.
    Sure I guess the low CP people need to have it easier, but why should us 810's suffer from it?
    It's sooo boring steam rolling everything in the world.

Drop your CP, and change your gear to whites without any set bonus. Voila, your difficulty is increased.

It's quite sad that in order to enjoy a large part of the game I have dumb down my own characters.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on January 1, 2020 6:50PM
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't going t be popular...

I learned this in my failed attempt to be a game designer ( Save the retorts it was for financial reasons) the developers will always tune the difficulty to the largest demographic, a secondary metric is the largest demographic that spends the most money. They will keep some form of content just out of reach of the masses, because seeing unique items and hearing about areas that only the best players can do, actually keeps casual players coming back, dreaming of one day when they might be able to achieve the un-achievable.

At least that was the formula a few years back. I'm not saying anyone's wishes are wrong, it's just how development usually works.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be impossible to do, but barring individual instances which would tend to the empty side for overland content, the only way I see to accomplish this would be to basically have the game gimp your toon.

This could potentially give you what you want, but would add another layer to the calculations the server needs to accomplish.
    A single monster can very well have a buff that only affects those playing at high difficulty.

How would that work if 2 players of opposite level are playing together?

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »

How would that work if 2 players of opposite level are playing together?

Heck, this is not even about levels. That monster has to be the same for everyone who attacks it. But your point is correct.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah good luck on that. This community is very resistant to the idea of trying harder. If victory isn't handed to you they're not going to be happy.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vet instanced delves is the only way this really honestly works out well. Issue though is with no reward structure it all falls apart. It would be a used tool for two weeks or so then abandoned.

Would have to implement some repeatable daily that has some worth for people to do it. Just like how WB's etc have had additional rewards attached over time.
    Edited by karekiz on January 1, 2020 8:09PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Yeah good luck on that. This community is very resistant to the idea of trying harder. If victory isn't handed to you they're not going to be happy.

Not really. To accuse people like me wanting victory given to me is a lame excuse since myself and others who have pointed out the realities of the design of this game also take on the more challenging trials. We realize the model Zos and other major MMORPGs use is a tiered difficulty with overland questing being about the story and not as much the fights and vet HM trials and the arenas are for the more challenging content.

The funny thing is that model seems to be working great as part of the games performance issue has a lot to do with the games population is strong which means that business model is working well for Zos. That is the harsh reality, not what you nonsense I quoted.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not about trying harder, dungeons and trials have vet mode for a reason. There's no reason to make overland harder, if you really need to play ESO that bad that you need the overland content to be vet level then you need to throw another game or a new hobby in the mix.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Not really. To accuse people like me wanting victory given to me is a lame excuse since myself and others who have pointed out the realities of the design of this game also take on the more challenging trials. We realize the model Zos and other major MMORPGs use is a tiered difficulty with overland questing being about the story and not as much the fights and vet HM trials and the arenas are for the more challenging content.

The funny thing is that model seems to be working great as part of the games performance issue has a lot to do with the games population is strong which means that business model is working well for Zos. That is the harsh reality, not what you nonsense I quoted.

Victory is handed to you when you can literally light attack to death story line bosses. And yeah the model is working well. Turns out non-challenging gameplay is always in high demand; hence why games like Skylanders was so successful.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's not about trying harder, dungeons and trials have vet mode for a reason. There's no reason to make overland harder, if you really need to play ESO that bad that you need the overland content to be vet level then you need to throw another game or a new hobby in the mix.

PvE used to be fun back in the day, but then they kept diluting the difficulty patch after patch. Now it's a joke, and if I'm paying for DLC it's because of the gear. It's hard to take the story seriously with how mind numbingly easy it is.
  • Dracofyre
    Dracofyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    would be cool to have "options" for selecting hardmode solo zones instead of going in normal dungeons.
    overlands are meant to teach newer players to "explore" new areas first, and will see warning "you are entering group area" so they can back off if they are not ready.
    Edited by Dracofyre on January 1, 2020 10:01PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.

For you maybe. But not for anyone just starting. They don't have sets, champion points, food buffs, practiced rotations or years of experience.

My friend just started the game and his experience with a low level toon compared to mine is like night and day. Enemies melt before me while he struggles to deal with more than one trash mob.

There are plenty of ways of gimping yourselves without adding a slider. Removing most of the things I listed above would be a start. People need to realize that overland is not for the endgamer. It is not supposed to be the ultimate experience. Dungeons, Trials and PvP is supposed to be where youre putting all of that experience and high level accessible gear to the test.

Even for starters the game is fairly easy if you can comprehend what you’re doing and are not completely new to roleplaying games. For genre newcomers it might need some training but then the game is as easy as it can get in an MMORPG.

Single mobs are a joke for every build, three mob groups might be tougher but see above.

By the way, none of my characters has Champion Points or anything else than what they own themselves used until the reach level 50.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that players already have the option to tailor the difficulty to suit them, but this topic is making me think I need to change how I do it.

At the moment I simply play without CP, because it always seemed to be high CP players complaining the game was too easy and because it's something I was used to not having so it didn't feel like a loss.

That works but the problem is changing it is expensive and time consuming, if I want to do vet dungeons or something else which needs CP I'd have to apply all the points manually, then pay to reset them afterwards, so instead I just don't do it.

But maybe if instead I used white non-set gear I could get the same effect and it would be free to swap to a stronger build and back.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PvE used to be fun back in the day, but then they kept diluting the difficulty patch after patch. Now it's a joke, and if I'm paying for DLC it's because of the gear. It's hard to take the story seriously with how mind numbingly easy it is.

Hmm it sounds like you need a break from ESO then. Difficulty shouldn't be what keeps your interest in the story and it is meant for everyone, not just you.

Maybe take up another game too or a hobby so you have other things to do as well. That could help
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmm it sounds like you need a break from ESO then. Difficulty shouldn't be what keeps your interest in the story and it is meant for everyone, not just you.

Maybe take up another game too or a hobby so you have other things to do as well. That could help

Lol I've been on a 6-7 month break. I just hang around the forums in order to keep updated in case they revert the changes that made me stop playing.
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. Overland content is already single player easy mode.

For you maybe. But not for anyone just starting. They don't have sets, champion points, food buffs, practiced rotations or years of experience.

My friend just started the game and his experience with a low level toon compared to mine is like night and day. Enemies melt before me while he struggles to deal with more than one trash mob.

There are plenty of ways of gimping yourselves without adding a slider. Removing most of the things I listed above would be a start. People need to realize that overland is not for the endgamer. It is not supposed to be the ultimate experience. Dungeons, Trials and PvP is supposed to be where youre putting all of that experience and high level accessible gear to the test.

Even for starters the game is fairly easy if you can comprehend what you’re doing and are not completely new to roleplaying games. For genre newcomers it might need some training but then the game is as easy as it can get in an MMORPG.

Single mobs are a joke for every build, three mob groups might be tougher but see above.

By the way, none of my characters has Champion Points or anything else than what they own themselves used until the reach level 50.

IT

IS

NOT

SUPPOSED

TO

BE

HARD

IT

IS

OVERLAND,

NOT

ENDGAME.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
  • eovogtb16_ESO
    eovogtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't even bother to do any quests anymore as they just feel trivial. It's not fun. Oneshotting every mob and killing quest bosses in a couple seconds. Even taking out all of your CP points doesn't help at all it's still insanely easy and you should have to do it anyways. Even the vet dungeons are so easy now especially the old ones they aren't even rewarding to do. Also bring back skins for your new vet dlc hm challenges and don't just give them away to anybody for completing a dlc vet dungeon that isnt that difficult to begin with.
    Edited by eovogtb16_ESO on January 2, 2020 4:09AM