Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The problem with Alliance Locking...

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    Plodeoca wrote: »
    Solution to all problems (yea lag too).
    Make more campaigns, a lot more, and limit the PLAYERS NUMBER of any campaign at 108 players (36 per faction) . You then can make alliance locked ones, free ones, cp ones, non-cp ones, people will be happy because they will play wherever they want with 0 lag and a campaign with the right number of people.

This will do nothing because people will still cram into the first campaign and end up dealing with queue times just to play there. Also, 36 per faction is literally like a guild and a half so uh yeah, enjoy the dead campaigns even more.

36 per campaign is nine small man groups, each stealthed around a resources waiting (praying) for ANYBODY to come along and try and flip it back.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on December 21, 2019 7:25PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    Plodeoca wrote: »
    Solution to all problems (yea lag too).
    Make more campaigns, a lot more, and limit the PLAYERS NUMBER of any campaign at 108 players (36 per faction) . You then can make alliance locked ones, free ones, cp ones, non-cp ones, people will be happy because they will play wherever they want with 0 lag and a campaign with the right number of people.

This will do nothing because people will still cram into the first campaign and end up dealing with queue times just to play there. Also, 36 per faction is literally like a guild and a half so uh yeah, enjoy the dead campaigns even more.

Man, some of y'all should be required to pass an IQ test before posting.

36 per campaign is nine small man groups, each stealthed around a resources waiting (praying) for ANYBODY to come along and try and flip it back.

On green and purple it's 9 groups of dirty hacking tower humpers, and on orange faction it's a 36 zerglings all together taking them back.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing i haven't seen any pro-lock people address is the cost of homing/unhoming from a campaign.

Again ill say, if we absolutely must have locks then get rid of the asinine cost. It has literally stopped me (and likely others) from playing the game.

I say this as someone who, not counting base game or expansion purchases, has (im ashamed to admit) put somewhere around $1000 into this game, along with an even more embarrassing amount of time.

There are many things that are contributing to the overall negative attitude towards eso/zos, and besides lag and performance issues, this faction lock thing is probably the #1 reason why the pvp population struggles to fill even one campaign anytime besides 5est-midnight.

Alright im not going in circles on the forums over this anymore, not like it makes a difference anyway.

What's to address? Homing a new campaign is free as long as you select, home when campaign ends.

There is plenty to address. The system sucks and the implementation of it was incompetent. I have not PvPed since August. That's about five months ago.

So two nights ago, I decide to play with my old guild just for nostalgia's sake. They play EP. When I played last I was AD. Well, four campaigns have come and gone since I last played, so homing the "new" campaign should be free right?

No, nope, not by a long shot. Just to play one night, I had to log onto every single AD toon I own and remove them from a campaign I never joined at 100,000 AP a pop. All of them. None of them were in Cyrodiil, none of them have been active, none of them have participated in any AD Alliance war stuff in months. Even one I'm pretty sure I haven't PvPed on in years.

So basically I had to blow 700,000 AP just to play with my friends for a single night to see if the game was still fun or things have changed. That is BS and indefeasible incompetence.
    Edited by Joy_Division on December 22, 2019 2:36PM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So basically I had to blow 700,000 AP just to play with my friends for a single night to see if the game was still fun or things have changed. That is BS and indefeasible incompetence.

I agree some of the hoops people have to jump through that have characters on multiple factions are unnecessary at best, and a p.i.t.a. and entirely frustrating at worst.

I don't see any reason to have to home a campaign any more. At the point the game is at right now who cares if a person chooses to earn AP in multiple campaigns. If there is a down side to that or some way to exploit it pleas say so, but I'm not seeing it.

In my mind upon the faction lock campaign completing it should close down, boot everyone out that is still in there, reset the map, and clear all allegiances to itself so that everyone has to once again make the choice as to which faction to fight for as the subsequent campaign begins again. A brief 5 minute window should be enough to allow all of this to transpire. After 5 minutes has elapsed and everything is reset then players may once again start committing to the campaign by selecting which alliance they wish to fight for during the new campaign.

I realize it is always beer 30 somewhere and this will disrupt a given playtime when the reset occurs, but they will also be the first people to get to re-up for the new campaign and will be starting with a fresh completely reset map. To me this is the ideal way to do it.

As a compromise, get rid of homing, which will remove the associated costs. Still have the issue of potentially not being able to switch faction when wanted for the new campaign. I think that will still be a thing without a complete reset, there will still be people that do it wrong, and are stuck in the same faction as before, but it's a step in the right direction.

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one thing i haven't seen any pro-lock people address is the cost of homing/unhoming from a campaign.

Again ill say, if we absolutely must have locks then get rid of the asinine cost. It has literally stopped me (and likely others) from playing the game.

I say this as someone who, not counting base game or expansion purchases, has (im ashamed to admit) put somewhere around $1000 into this game, along with an even more embarrassing amount of time.

There are many things that are contributing to the overall negative attitude towards eso/zos, and besides lag and performance issues, this faction lock thing is probably the #1 reason why the pvp population struggles to fill even one campaign anytime besides 5est-midnight.

Alright im not going in circles on the forums over this anymore, not like it makes a difference anyway.

What's to address? Homing a new campaign is free as long as you select, home when campaign ends.

There is plenty to address. The system sucks and the implementation of it was incompetent. I have not PvPed since August. That's about five months ago.

So two nights ago, I decide to play with my old guild just for nostalgia's sake. They play EP. When I played last I was AD. Well, four campaigns have come and gone since I last played, so homing the "new" campaign should be free right?

No, nope, not by a long shot. Just to play one night, I had to log onto every single AD toon I own and remove them from a campaign I never joined at 100,000 AP a pop. All of them. None of them were in Cyrodiil, none of them have been active, none of them have participated in any AD Alliance war stuff in months. Even one I'm pretty sure I haven't PvPed on in years.

But you did join those campaigns and that is why those characters are still in them. Failing to understand the rules is on you.

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But you did join those campaigns and that is why those characters are still in them. Failing to understand the rules is on you.

pretty sure after 5 months of not playing your toons would of been timed out of cyro long ago so this statement does not stack up for me
    you only get charged for re-homing if you have abandoned a campaign after setting it as home and go back to it
    Edited by Alienoutlaw on December 22, 2019 9:09PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    pretty sure after 5 months of not playing your toons would of been timed out of cyro long ago so this statement does not stack up for me
    you only get charged for re-homing if you have abandoned a campaign after setting it as home and go back to it

You home campaign never goes away on its own unless the campaign is removed by ZOS. Simply timing out of Cyro is irrelevant. You will still have to pay to switch on every single character to change factions. There is a way around it, but it has to be done well in advance.

The fact that you don't think "it stacks up" shows how poorly implemented and anti-player the system is.

Edited by NBrookus on December 23, 2019 4:05AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

You home campaign never goes away on its own unless the campaign is removed by ZOS. Simply timing out of Cyro is irrelevant. You will still have to play to switch on every single character to change factions. There is a way around it, but it has to be done well in advance.

The fact that you don't think "it stacks up" shows how poorly implemented and anti-player the system is.

Since you're not a white Knight who will defend ZOS no matter how incompetent they are - who can forget when locks were first introduced people were locked out after the campaign ended - maybe you can tell me why I did not get the opportunity to home a new campaign for free even though 4 of them ended since the last time I played?
    Edited by Joy_Division on December 23, 2019 1:57AM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You home campaign never goes away on its own unless the campaign is removed by ZOS. Simply timing out of Cyro is irrelevant. You will still have to play to switch on every single character to change factions. There is a way around it, but it has to be done well in advance.

Since you're not a white Knight who will defend ZOS no matter how incompetent they are - who can forget when locks were first introduced people were locked out after the campaign ended - maybe you can tell me why I did not get the opportunity to home a new campaign for free even though 4 of them ended since the last time I played?

Because you have to log in, home a new campaign and select, switch for free when campaign ends. It's not an automated function.

Edited by Ackwalan on December 23, 2019 4:13AM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You home campaign never goes away on its own unless the campaign is removed by ZOS. Simply timing out of Cyro is irrelevant. You will still have to pay to switch on every single character to change factions. There is a way around it, but it has to be done well in advance.

i have to reset my home campaign after every campaign end so this is not true
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Opinion from where I'm sitting? Lack of planning, foresight or concern over the player experience. Same with how the new unlocked camp was introduced. UX wasn't even considered.

I saw you the other night in the middle of a hammer slideshow. Guess you learned if things have changed. :trollface:
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like he understands the rules just fine....

Edited by Mr_Walker on December 23, 2019 5:40AM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't reset the home campaign, you acknowledge you are in the locked campaign.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, you don't. You (now) have 5 minutes to leave and not be locked on that faction. You switch factions you still have to pay unlock on the other faction.

Your home doesn't reset by itself.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You still have to pay to swap factions even if you go multiple campaigns without entering Cyrodiil.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because you have to log in, home a new campaign and select, switch for free when campaign ends. It's not an automated function.

I tried to do exactly that and I got no option to switch for free. Just a message telling me I had AD toons in the campaign. When I logged onto AD toons, there was no free option to switch or anything.

You can keep wondering why only the PvP population has not grown since this wonderful change has been implemented. I'm not the only person who came back after months of absence and ran into this very issue, a guildmate went through exactly the same thing. It's not exactly good for business to make it so difficult, troublesome, and costly just to play a game we already paid for.

• Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you don't. You (now) have 5 minutes to leave and not be locked on that faction. You switch factions you still have to pay unlock on the other faction.

Your home doesn't reset by itself.

Unless you let the 5 minute timer run out and don't switch factions. All my characters are of the same faction so I don't switch. I don't have to re-home on the same faction. I just let the timer expire.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS needs to come out with faction change tokens.
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest wishes / hopes for PvP in 2020:

- improve performance!
    - remove faction locks! or provide a choice where there is (a) populated non locked campaign(s)

It has been said many times, in many posts and many threads how faction lock harms the community and makes the game less attractive - by making it more difficult to group up, by forcing people to choose between guilds, by making it more difficult to find good fights and by making Cyrodiil more zergy.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Soul_Demon
    Soul_Demon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro thread .....why not just jump onboard to hear the crying again.
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to Home a character to play on that campaign, you still get ap just not leader board stuff. So if you just want to casual play, play un-homed.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question. Haven't been on forum recently. What's the purpose of paying ap and or gold to get out of campaign. If unable to switch alliance in the locked campaign? Is this a safety net for rich? If so, it's not fair to the Poor. (Also referring to no one in particular)
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.