The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Akamai routing ESO though Sydney, Australia

• adree
    adree
    ✭✭✭
    Russia, EU current speed 150+ with lag spikes
    vGnv170.png
    As you can see most of the time can get current ping and packet loss around 80% on servers you are using. This Frankfurt level3 american company trash server is always a problem.
    Meanwhile my speedtest
    xvVRkfM.png
    Edited by adree on December 19, 2019 7:38PM
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw my latency drop to 90ms over the last maybe 20 mins. First time all day it's been below 250 or so. They're working on it.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Yay! Everyone gets the "playing ESO from Australia" experience! Remember to get your room up to 104 degrees F for the full immersive experience! XD

(Joking... I would not wish the 'playing ESO from Australia' on anyone)

Actually, you also have to fill your room to the ceiling with poisonous spiders, more poisonous snakes, and even more poisonous lizards. And giant crickets the size of your head. Which are also poisonous.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elandryn wrote: »
    PC/NA playing from Brazil having ping issues since yesterday, went from around 180ms to over 400ms, still had problems this morning.

I'm from Brazil too. Used to be 180~250ms, today it's 390~480ms. (NA Server)

Edited by Highlor3 on December 19, 2019 7:48PM
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Have no idea about any of this as am a console peasant so had to go and look up who/what the hell Akamai is.

It's like a virtual border crossing on the Interstate freeway, where traffic slows down and filters through a bunch of gates so you and your vehicle can get inspected and searched for bad stuff like drugs, undocumented passengers, etc. Except in this case, the cars are data on the internet, which gets slowed down and filtered through the Akamai firewall, and is searched for trojans, hacks, and other sorts of malicious bits and bytes. Once it passes inspection and gets "scrubbed", it gets sent along the way to your destination..... which in this case is the ZOS servers and your computer.

When traffic gets heavy, it will tend to back up, and these choke points are the primary source of your latency and lag.

Awesome explanation - thank you - you get an AWESOME!
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, can could you please let us know where you are located geographically? That will help us as we continue to look into a few potential solutions.

Near Boston for me.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, thanks for your patience and all the info. We made a few changes this afternoon; could you let us know if your ping has improved?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, thanks for your patience and all the info. We made a few changes this afternoon; could you let us know if your ping has improved?

Was the team not seeing the same routing as the rest of us? I suspect this was something that could be seen by you guys as well and you guys can check to see where you guys are routing through.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for looking into this, Gina. My ping has improved considerably, back to pre-maintenance ping levels. Hopefully the same for everyone else that was having issues.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

From 300+ down to 110 currently. Thanks.
  • Catsmoke14
    Catsmoke14
    ✭✭✭
    Western Massachusetts PC NA.

Ping back to 100 ms to 130 ms, This is quite close to normal, altho' in better times I've had 90.
    Edited by Catsmoke14 on December 19, 2019 8:10PM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like ping is normal now. Many thanks!
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Fat_Friar
    Fat_Friar
    Soul Shriven

Aside from the usual poor performance with large numbers of players nearby, and the customary latency spikes and dropped connections caused by my ISP, all seems to be back to expected norms - thank you!
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No change from New Zealand. Still 270-300ms for me.

I suppose the extra 50ms we now have since maintenance is the new normal for us as we are being routed through Sydney, which is the nearest Akamai Prolexic server?

I understand how the system works and why you use Akamai, but this still disappoints meas other USA based online games don't have this issue. They seem to manage fine giving us normal geographic latency.

Sad-face.

Addendum:

LOL, While I was typing this I was booted from the server and can't log back in due to this.
    Gs1zglJ.jpg

'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    also just got booted from the server
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

see following comment
    Edited by JJBoomer on December 19, 2019 8:52PM
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    It's the primary reason for all the lag, but they'll tell you that they have a contract in place and can't do anything about it.

Yep and I have ended my contract with ZOS; cancelled ESO Plus and not buying anyomore Chapters and DLCS. With the service they offer, free is good for me, not spending a single cent.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    also just got booted from the server
    Same, was booted from server. Now I am lucky enough to find my way back.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Booted from Server - now 301 error 5 minutes later was able to login now game is like a slide show.
    Edited by majulook on December 19, 2019 8:43PM
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno here is my tracert (Ping in game is 200+, FPS is 20, down from 60. DC's since maintenance)

mFzFQlW.png
    Edited by JJBoomer on December 19, 2019 8:56PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged back on from my 301 error and ping seems closer to normal. 230-260ms.

Better, but not as good as it was prior to the maintenance.

Still routed through Sydney, from New Zealand. Sydney is the opposite direction to the servers in the USA.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    The disconnect was expected as we were making some additional adjustments, but you should be able to just log right back in. Apologies for the hiccup!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    We made a few changes this afternoon; could you let us know if your ping has improved?
    I didn't have high ping before and now I do. Thanks, Obama.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The disconnect was expected as we were making some additional adjustments, but you should be able to just log right back in. Apologies for the hiccup!

The further adjustments actually pulled my ping back up. Was down around 90-120 after the first set of adjustments. Now am back up around 150. Which is still an improvement over the initial post-maintenance ping, but I'd love to get back down to my "normal".

PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • wavingblue
    wavingblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, can could you please let us know where you are located geographically? That will help us as we continue to look into a few potential solutions.

Located in Atlanta, GA. Ping went from 75 to 125 before the update to last night it being bare minimum of 200... most of the time residing in the 275 to 350 range. My pings to iRacing are still holding firm at about 33ms to the Boston server farm, 145ish to the European server farm. This is certainly something on ZOS side and started after the maintenance.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update.

PC NA Central Florida game was fine until about 3:30 pm got kicked off /crashed could not log on got error 301 after about 5 minutes was able to log on, game was like a slide show.

Logged off and was able to log back in, had really long load screen. Lots of slide show, and response time really bad.

Logged off again game took about 5 minutes to close down.

You all figure this out I will try the game later.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭

gee..... thanks for the warning - I lost a survey cos of that boot :(
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many disconnects @__@
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was about to buy FFXIV in Steam offers, I was resigned that I wouldn't be able to play ESO this weekend, but everything went back to normal here.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering the page after page of complaints concerning Akamai you have to wonder which really is the greatest threat to ESO. The possibility of a DDOS attack that they are suppose to prevent, or Akamai itself. I’m beginning to believe the latter.