The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

multiple accounts at the same time

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    what if someone is using two machines to log into to 2 different accounts and playing them both at the same time? ie: in PvP to duel against for duleist title or PvE to level up skill lines and porting from one account to the other?
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about 2 separate accounts via 2 separate PCs? (Desktop + Laptop)
    ...They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc. Rather, they're playing one character at a time while the other character is standing idle nearby, then alt-tabbing to switch over when they need to control the other character...

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom You state "They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc."

But, auto-running is a base-game default control via Mouse-Button 4 (MB4), which allows the "automation" of movement.
    So, which stance is it?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno
    This topic greatly needs some clarification.
    Please make a DOs/DONTs chart, or something. Lol. :D
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on December 3, 2019 7:36PM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what if someone is using two machines to log into to 2 different accounts and playing them both at the same time? ie: in PvP to duel against for duleist title or PvE to level up skill lines and porting from one account to the other?

I have heard of people getting in trouble for doing things similar to this in order to "grind" AP by killing their alt account over and over, and as such, would not recommend doing so. (They've even frowned upon that behavior when they are NOT the same account, and it's just a friend)

To use the alt as a port shouldn't be a problem. To help level by grouping up, as long as you're only controlling one at a time, it should be okay.

I can certainly understand how it's a gray area though. But AFAIK, as long as your inputs are independent to each account you should be fine.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... what was it that I was seeing in Senchal a few days ago then? Three charas, dressed absolutely identical, dancing perfectly in sync, their account names differing only by one name - like xxxforce, yyyforce, zzzforce.
    I assume that's three accounts online at the same time, yes? How can they be in such complete sync then? And is that permitted? I've seen the like also out in the countryside, harvesting.
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the clarification; it's good to see this addressed in a forum thread. While the answer hasn't changed, in the past, we only got replies to this type of question via support ticket:

r8ixwqyvwv6y.jpg
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about 2 separate accounts via 2 separate PCs? (Desktop + Laptop)
    ...They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc. Rather, they're playing one character at a time while the other character is standing idle nearby, then alt-tabbing to switch over when they need to control the other character...

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom You state "They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc."

But, auto-running is a base-game default control via Mouse-Button 4 (MB4), which allows the "automation" of movement.
    So, which stance is it?

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno
    This topic greatly needs some clarification.
    Please make a DOs/DONTs chart, or something. Lol. :D

That auto-running requires an independent activation. You have to switch to that screen/system and click

Automation =it does it...itself...no secondary click
    If you play a character and your other character automatically follows you...Like how pets follow...that’s a no no
  • Env_t
    Env_t
    ✭✭✭
    i can play with two account so fast, by alt tabbing, so it looks like its two different persons playing
    fights, pvp, killing bosses
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Env_t wrote: »
    i can play with two account so fast, by alt tabbing, so it looks like its two different persons playing

Exactly. Minus the alt-tabbing part. o:)
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would get you the ban-hammer :)

Edit: No, you can't play with yourself! :p
    Edited by InaMoonlight on December 6, 2019 2:59AM
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Env_t wrote: »

No... Fairly easily compared to harvesting/killing bot-trains ^^

And pssst... they CAN tell...
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... what was it that I was seeing in Senchal a few days ago then? Three charas, dressed absolutely identical, dancing perfectly in sync, their account names differing only by one name - like xxxforce, yyyforce, zzzforce.
    I assume that's three accounts online at the same time, yes? How can they be in such complete sync then? And is that permitted? I've seen the like also out in the countryside, harvesting.

As long as they're only dancing, and not abusing it ;) (and a badass hamsterputer)

The moment they enter the bot-train territory for extra gain, report and let ZoS sort it out :)
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do love seeing a bot-train getting visited by the Z's. And you can see the very faint outline of their char thinking themselves utterly invisible... Standing there with the char obviously glaring and thinking OHNOYOUDONT! :D
    Edited by InaMoonlight on December 6, 2019 3:06AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that is multiboxing, and no, you cannot do that.

No, that is NOT multiboxing, unless he/she uses additional software to synchronize those two instances of the game.
    As long as only one of the games has keyboard/mouse input an any given time, it is NOT multiboxing.
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on December 6, 2019 3:12AM
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it is possible to logon on to the same account more than once.

I have two accounts with similar names and sometimes I forget to correct the username before logging on. If I recall, you get the message the account is already logged-in and / or the first user (or both) is kicked out.

The same thing happens if you try to logon to the same account but on the other MegaServer (EU vs NA).

While you cannot log into the same acct. on both EU and NA at the same time, you can log in to the same account on the test server and either EU or NA (useful for copying character appearance with the help of a change race token to see slider positions on PTS).

Additionally, you can log into two or even three accounts on the same computer on the same server by going directly to the eso exe in the installation folder. When it launches the second time, you just enter the alt account name and proceed as normal.
  • MachineKludge
    I think there must be a typo in the TOS or you are looking at an old version. I do not believe there is any rule that prohibits running multiple characters at a time using third party software or hardware modifications to synchronize movement.

I see this all the time. You can see this in the bank in Rawl'kha almost any day of the week (XBOX NA). You might have to wait until normal business hours (Beijing time) to see that, but you will see it if you look, so nobody is trying to hide this activity in some far flung corner of Nirn.

At any given second, I can find this happening in one of: Alik'r, Grahtwood and/or Betnikh. Essentially, anyplace that mudcrab or wolves spawn can potentially be camped by a single person running 8'ish accounts with synchronized control, and by the very definition that requires 3rd party software or hardware.

Anyway, since it is such a very easy thing to witness, so utterly common, I don't believe it is against the TOS.
  • MachineKludge
    idk wrote: »
    Wow. running the same account in two different instances at the same time. Security issue for sure since it means someone could actually hack our account while we are actually playing and log into alt characters and we would have no way of knowing.

Hopefully I am just confused. If not good for you to bring this to Zos' attention.

I think you are confused. There is nothing inherently insecure about being able to login to a single account simultaneously from multiple machines or even multiple geographical locations. In fact, I think it is probably fairly common that people are logged into accounts (e.g. your email, twitter, etc...) on the mobile in their pocket, the tablet sitting on the bathroom sink, their TV, their personal PC and their work laptop -- all at once. Any security risk would be limited by physical security or dumb_user=dumb_password, and not some inherent problem from allowing multiple logon.
  • daemondamian
    daemondamian
    ✭✭✭
    I got to randomly chatting with someone recently that said they had 10 accounts -the biggest reason being that guilds require 10 members, so they had 5 guild banks worth of storage which was useful as they make gold by buying cheap items and reselling.

I like making gold and have storage hassles (even though I have 12 characters) but the idea of the real world cost of 10 accounts, organising and managing 5 guilds and spending lots of time buying and reselling sounds like a lot of work to me and I play ESO because it's a game and I want to have fun!
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there! Are you using two different accounts at the same time on two different machines? Or something else?

no the same one just starting the game 2 times

Yes, that is multiboxing, and no, you cannot do that. If you were using 2 different accounts it *might* be ok. But I'm not sure.

That's not multiboxing 😑

You can have 10 login sessions going at the same time and it won't be multiboxing.

What IS multiboxing: using custom configuration, scripts, functions, 3rd party software etc. etc. To then gain simultaneous control over all open (2-XX) instances of the client and successfully executing and performing action ingame on all characters in question and in sync

Stop insulting actual multiboxing and simple act of having the client open multiple times without any simultaneous interaction whatsoever 😑

Edited by Nyladreas on December 7, 2019 10:33AM
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not believe there is any rule that prohibits running multiple characters at a time using third party software or hardware modifications to synchronize movement...

Anyway, since it is such a very easy thing to witness, so utterly common, I don't believe it is against the TOS.

I haven't read through the ToS in over a year. That said, if you look at the original ZOS communication linked by the OP as well as the one I linked above, you will see that using software or hardware to control secondary characters is not permitted.

• StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just to follow up on this, @Dread_Viking and I spoke via DMs so we could talk through some questions we had and what they've described is okay to do (though may not result in the most optimal game performance.) In this player's instance, they have two separate accounts and are logging into them separately but on the same PC. They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc. Rather, they're playing one character at a time while the other character is standing idle nearby, then alt-tabbing to switch over when they need to control the other character. And they're doing so for basic personal convenience, such as to access their Merchant or Bank Assistants that they have on only one account.

While this may be a little clunky and could result in some PC slow-down, the general idea is fine. Now that said, if we find that someone is doing this as a means to violate our EULA or other Terms of Service rules in other ways, we may deem it actionable.

Wow, you just clarified what I have wondered for a long time.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there must be a typo in the TOS or you are looking at an old version. I do not believe there is any rule that prohibits running multiple characters at a time using third party software or hardware modifications to synchronize movement.

I see this all the time. You can see this in the bank in Rawl'kha almost any day of the week (XBOX NA). You might have to wait until normal business hours (Beijing time) to see that, but you will see it if you look, so nobody is trying to hide this activity in some far flung corner of Nirn.

At any given second, I can find this happening in one of: Alik'r, Grahtwood and/or Betnikh. Essentially, anyplace that mudcrab or wolves spawn can potentially be camped by a single person running 8'ish accounts with synchronized control, and by the very definition that requires 3rd party software or hardware.

You do realize that while botting is a common sight, it's also a reportable offense and ZOS sweeps through and deletes those bots periodically, yes?

From the TOS (current version):
    You agree not to use any hardware or software or any other method of support that is not authorized by ZeniMax or that may in any way influence or advantage Your playing abilities, or influence or advantage Your access to or receipt, play or use of the Services. Third party tools, the use of ‘bots’, “speed hacks”, “deep-link”, “page-scrape”, “robot”, “spider”, algorithm or other programs that copy or monitor any part of the Services (including, but not limited to, the Game(s) and/or forums), software that transmits, manipulates, or distributes (including, but are limited to, “mirroring”) the data stream or any aspect of the Services to another computer, server websites or other publication or distribution media, or software that permits You to access, receive, play or use Services without human input are examples of methods not authorized by ZeniMax.

From the Code of Conduct:
    5.1 Users are forbidden from using any unapproved third party applications, programs, scripts or any other game modifying mechanic used to change the game play experience on a ZeniMax Game, Service, forum, or other games or services provided by ZeniMax, including the distribution of said programs via ZeniMax services, sites, forums, communities, etc. This would include but is not limited to using or distributing speed hacks, aim bots, mouse controllers, spam bots, automated game play devices, etc. Third party applications are defined as any program, application or script written by an individual, company, corporation, or private party not employed by or contracted to perform services by ZeniMax.

Don't assume that breaking the rules is permitted or left unpunished merely because you see evidence that people break the rules.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I knew ppl that would do this to level alt account characters.
    They'd have the alt acct character grouped with their main. Then use their main to grind xp.I'm sure this still happens.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So i was told yesterday that it was against TOS and EULA to use 2 accounts at the same time so i ofc went on the website and stated reading all the rules ( note not using any 3 party softwware or hardware just start the game 2 times ) and i cant find any thing about it other then multiboxing and that is not rly relevant for me since i am not using that i just start the game 2 times so if i am understanding the rules i am doing nothing wrong am i right also found this clipboard2.1533365344.png

but again was asking in my guild and it was 50 50 ool rly didt know so can i plz get a answer to this from a ZOS member i would love to know if i am doing any thing wrong hear
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Wait a second... So I can wait for a Base game sale and buy 9 additional accounts just to unlock Guild Bank for Myself and I wont be banned for it ? ? ? LOL :joy:

Edit:
    Not that I am gonna do that. It simply "smells" like an exploit to me... :D
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 7, 2019 4:43PM
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tommy_The_Gun that's exactly what you can do and many have done it. If I'm not mistaken, there was recent topic where a player suggested just this to alleviate bank space.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So i was told yesterday that it was against TOS and EULA to use 2 accounts at the same time so i ofc went on the website and stated reading all the rules ( note not using any 3 party softwware or hardware just start the game 2 times ) and i cant find any thing about it other then multiboxing and that is not rly relevant for me since i am not using that i just start the game 2 times so if i am understanding the rules i am doing nothing wrong am i right also found this clipboard2.1533365344.png

but again was asking in my guild and it was 50 50 ool rly didt know so can i plz get a answer to this from a ZOS member i would love to know if i am doing any thing wrong hear
    Wait a second... So I can wait for a Base game sale and buy 9 additional accounts just to unlock Guild Bank for Myself and I wont be banned for it ? ? ? LOL :joy:

Edit:

Not an exploit, and done in a good many MMOs, in some cases to increase inventory sizes and in other cases to prevent constant harassment from guild recruiters.
    Edited by Tandor on December 7, 2019 7:03PM
  • MachineKludge

You do realize that while botting is a common sight, it's also a reportable offense and ZOS sweeps through and deletes those bots periodically, yes?

Don't assume that breaking the rules is permitted or left unpunished merely because you see evidence that people break the rules.

I really do not believe they care or make any effort to enforce it.

They could make it easy to report. They could make it a drop-down in the report and automatically gather information from where/when the report was made. I find the in-game report mechanism isn't very good in general and there is certainly nothing that makes it easy to report a bot. The few times I've reported one, I got a response to the effect of, "thanks, not interested, closed".

The New Life festival is just around the corner. If ZOS wants to stop bots, they can very easily grab a bunch on Betnikh and make the festival a lot more playable at the same time, since it can actually be quite difficult to compete with the bots for wolf pelts.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to follow up on this, @Dread_Viking and I spoke via DMs so we could talk through some questions we had and what they've described is okay to do (though may not result in the most optimal game performance.) In this player's instance, they have two separate accounts and are logging into them separately but on the same PC. They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc. Rather, they're playing one character at a time while the other character is standing idle nearby, then alt-tabbing to switch over when they need to control the other character. And they're doing so for basic personal convenience, such as to access their Merchant or Bank Assistants that they have on only one account.

While this may be a little clunky and could result in some PC slow-down, the general idea is fine. Now that said, if we find that someone is doing this as a means to violate our EULA or other Terms of Service rules in other ways, we may deem it actionable.

Standing idle in Cyrodiil may lock population or prevent low pop bonus. Any level 10 will do. No armor or skill needed.
  • Kosef
    Kosef
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this topic is hella old and I'm super sorry for the necro, but if I'm to understand this I can have two instances running at the same time as long as no third part software is used. So lets say I have a second account and the main purpose is to be grouped with my main so I can reset a dungeon like skyreach...is this considered ok? Thanks in advance.
    Server: PC-NA

Vincent Jurard - Breton - DK
    Aronil Elsinwatch - Altmer - Templar
    Ulfgar Stormbringer - Nord - Sorc
    Ra'Jhera Mahrabi - Khajiit - NB
    Kur Zahir - Imperial - Necro
    Khur - Redguard - Warden
    Lives-By-Sword - Argonian - DK
    Sara Willowthorn - Bosmer - Templar
    Elsa Bjariksen - Nord - NB
    Soliril Elsinthar - Altmer - Sorc
    Khargol Ogdum - Orc - Warden
    Veros Sarvani - Dunmer - Necro
    Vedran The Toxic - Dunmer - DK
    Hafnar Ironbark - Nord Warden
    Low - Level: Arcturus The Loyal - Templar
    Guild:
    [Ninja Squirrels]
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

if you buy 10 accounts who on Nirn would stop you to make a guild and control its bank?
    Awake, but at what cost
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    And how the hell are they gunna know its u on two accounts in the first place?