Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

multiple accounts at the same time

Dread_Viking
Dread_Viking
✭✭✭✭
So i was told yesterday that it was against TOS and EULA to use 2 accounts at the same time so i ofc went on the website and stated reading all the rules ( note not using any 3 party softwware or hardware just start the game 2 times ) and i cant find any thing about it other then multiboxing and that is not rly relevant for me since i am not using that i just start the game 2 times so if i am understanding the rules i am doing nothing wrong am i right also found this clipboard2.1533365344.png

but again was asking in my guild and it was 50 50 ool rly didt know so can i plz get a answer to this from a ZOS member i would love to know if i am doing any thing wrong hear
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Update posting a copy of the messages between me and jessica

p5w7bCf.png
Edited by Dread_Viking on December 11, 2019 10:01AM
Don't worry girl I'm a Sorcerer, i got my Hardened Ward for protection
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi there! Are you using two different accounts at the same time on two different machines? Or something else?
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there! Are you using two different accounts at the same time on two different machines? Or something else?

no the same one just starting the game 2 times
    Edited by Dread_Viking on December 3, 2019 4:48PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that is multiboxing, and no, you cannot do that. If you were using 2 different accounts it *might* be ok. But I'm not sure.
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    again no 3 party software just opening the launcher 2 times
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

So, two different accounts on one machine? Let me DM you with a few more questions.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, that is multiboxing, and no, you cannot do that. If you were using 2 different accounts it *might* be ok. But I'm not sure.

but dont you need a 3party program to multibox like virtual machine
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭

So, two different accounts on one machine? Let me DM you with a few more questions.

ok
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. running the same account in two different instances at the same time. Security issue for sure since it means someone could actually hack our account while we are actually playing and log into alt characters and we would have no way of knowing.

Hopefully I am just confused. If not good for you to bring this to Zos' attention.
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Wow. running the same account in two different instances at the same time. Security issue for sure since it means someone could actually hack our account while we are actually playing and log into alt characters and we would have no way of knowing.

Hopefully I am just confused. If not good for you to bring this to Zos' attention.

you misunderstood it is to different accounts
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZoS stated multiple times, multiboxing is allowed as long as you do it via alt tabbing without help of any third-party software.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that if you pay for two accounts, you can play two accounts. ...even at the same time if you want your wife or buddy to play same time in the same room. (on different machines) And ZOS shouldn't have a problem with it either. Someone is buying the same product more than once, which is a bonus for ZOS. It's more sales.

And if someone wants to have a PC account and a gamebox account at the same time, that should be perfectly acceptable as well. Again, it's more sales.
    Edited by Cavedog on December 3, 2019 5:02PM
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairly certain that as long as you don't use a program to link the two characters so they both respond to the same commands, you are good to go.
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Fairly certain that as long as you don't use a program to link the two characters so they both respond to the same commands, you are good to go.

yes that is how i understand it as well but yester day i had this guy yelling at me for doing it and telling ppl to report me
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    holy run-on sentences, batman.
  • Danouk
    Danouk
    ✭✭✭
    If it's two different accounts then there is no problem. You paid for those two accounts so it's allowed. Just because it's on the same computer changes nothing.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes because no one would do that to make an account they could sell once they got max cp on it, no, never, people are angels and we trust all of them all the time!
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you misunderstood it is to different accounts

Then it is as Olup said, it is permitted to play multiple accounts at the same time but we have to manually control them.

When we see bot trains there is third party software controlling characters. That is an example of behavior that is not permitted.
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danouk wrote: »
    If it's two different accounts then there is no problem. You paid for those two accounts so it's allowed. Just because it's on the same computer changes nothing.

also my understanding
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use two accounts and rarely log them both in together, when I do it is on different machines and only for inter-trading although I usually do that through the in-game mail and occasionally to check how different graphics cards and settings etc compare in the same location. While I have two-boxed in one or two other games in the past (it was a lot of fun in EQ!), I've never wanted or needed to in ESO. My reading of the quoted Customer Support reply above would suggest that this is fine. Both machines are run (and always were in other MMOs) with separate monitors, mouse and keyboard, and with no third party applications (or addons for that matter) being installed.

However, I vaguely recall @ZOS_JessicaFolsom giving a reply a long time ago to the effect that if they detected two accounts being run together they would assume that there was a third party application involved and regard it as a TOS violation. I assume this relates to e.g dungeon content rather than say being more or less static in a city or house. Clarification on that point would be useful.

Also, I know both in ESO and other MMOs that it's pretty common for a player to have several family accounts which although for all practical purposes are played by different family members as "their" accounts, are actually held in the one player's name because he/she pays the subscription etc. Often this will involve the family members grouping up for adventuring. Again, clarification on this would be appreciated.
    Edited by Tandor on December 3, 2019 5:12PM
  • Bloodraven187
    Bloodraven187
    ✭✭✭
    so reading through this and it looks like several of the initial replies are people who didn't actually read the subject line, much less the actual question. multiple accounts means just that. more than 1 account running concurrently. not the same account on multiple systems, which is physically impossible to do since the first log in prevents subsequent ones.

if you are going to try answering a question at least have the decency to actually read it.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have the game running on two different accounts on the same console too. They are separate Microsoft/XB accounts - one account is mine, the other is my kids. You're saying that's not allowed?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robwolf666 wrote: »

We have the game running on two different accounts on the same console too. They are separate Microsoft/XB accounts - one account is mine, the other is my kids. You're saying that's not allowed?

Jessica is just asking a question.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So am I.. The last thing I want is to get banned, or whatever, after sinking so much time and money into this game.
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭

So am I.. The last thing I want is to get banned, or whatever, after sinking so much time and money into this game.

same and that is why i am asking
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes because no one would do that to make an account they could sell once they got max cp on it, no, never, people are angels and we trust all of them all the time!

That is true, I saw several toons all moving in unison last week and each one had halo's and wings.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it is possible to logon on to the same account more than once.

I have two accounts with similar names and sometimes I forget to correct the username before logging on. If I recall, you get the message the account is already logged-in and / or the first user (or both) is kicked out.

The same thing happens if you try to logon to the same account but on the other MegaServer (EU vs NA).
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simplest way to put it...

If you log in twice
    And have 2 characters active
    And you move you character via keyboard/controller

And Both characters move and function simultaneously
    That is multi boxing and against ToS
    But if you gotta move each Character individually...that’s fine.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Just to follow up on this, @Dread_Viking and I spoke via DMs so we could talk through some questions we had and what they've described is okay to do (though may not result in the most optimal game performance.) In this player's instance, they have two separate accounts and are logging into them separately but on the same PC. They aren't simultaneously playing the two characters or using any hardware or software to automate movement, gameplay, etc. Rather, they're playing one character at a time while the other character is standing idle nearby, then alt-tabbing to switch over when they need to control the other character. And they're doing so for basic personal convenience, such as to access their Merchant or Bank Assistants that they have on only one account.

While this may be a little clunky and could result in some PC slow-down, the general idea is fine. Now that said, if we find that someone is doing this as a means to violate our EULA or other Terms of Service rules in other ways, we may deem it actionable.
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on December 3, 2019 6:33PM
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the detailed clarification.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done the same thing, and have operated under the premise that as long as I'm individually inputing the commands to only one account at a time that I was okay. (that is, one command doesn't move both characters at the same time)

Jessica's last comment confirms that. I don't do it often, because it does significantly slow down performance. I've mainly done it to test some things on the PTS vs. LIVE when they have made changes to quickly compare between the two.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points