Who Thought Up This Event?

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Worse than the other horrid events!

Try finding a group on the EU server later in the night for one thing, but that is the only way to earn the ticket for the day. Don't you dare stay at work late!

Then kill us multiple times with many wipes.

Yeah, that makes for a great fun event! Not!
PC
PS4/PS5
  • RaveRaveRaveRave
    RaveRaveRaveRave
    ✭✭✭
    The event I was most looking forward to lasted a whole 2 hours or so and I didn't even get to partake. Already was tired of killing dragons before this event even started. :(
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The event I was most looking forward to lasted a whole 2 hours or so and I didn't even get to partake. Already was tired of killing dragons before this event even started. :(

It could have been OK, if they weren't so OP.

This frost one caused me 15-20 deaths. Yeah I am a soft pet sorc, but I try to stay at range and continually put my shield up.

That doesn't help when the dragon throws out a ring of cold that takes up almost the entire area spawns a bunch of adds (at the same time) and then regularly nukes the ground, often with no warning.

This was even with a growing group. Fortunately we didn't wipe a 3rd time and finally killed it, but what a waste of 1/2 hour.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t like it, skip it. I am.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    were you hoping for a participation ticket just by logging in?
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can come and help. :smile:

Are you in Northern?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »

Give up the crud. They did do the "participation ticket" in an earlier event. You had to use the special item, but that was it.

Dying 20 times for a ticket is ludicrous. Though it is not completely optional if you want to finish out the mounts, so the other poster needs to give it a rest too.

This game should have some fun element, especially for things like this. Raid if you want to get nuked continually. Though I would likely die less in raids than here.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I've been killing dragons daily since the Elsewyr release, and they have definitely been powered up for this event. I suppose because people were complaining about them being too weak before? But I'm dying to the dragons a LOT more in this event than I ever have before.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And add that they placed the wayshrines so far away to most of them. It is also fun to get there just after the dragon got killed by a previous (more competent group)!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worse than the other horrid events!

Try finding a group on the EU server later in the night for one thing, but that is the only way to earn the ticket for the day. Don't you dare stay at work late!

Then kill us multiple times with many wipes.

Yeah, that makes for a great fun event! Not!

Todd, I guess...He owns this IP and "it just works"
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm done with both dragons in like 30 minutes, evening time, so I guess it just depends on the time. Afternoon and evening have Zerg trains that nukes dragon in 10 or less minutes. OP didn't tell when he was playing, if it is something like 2 or 3 AM it is normal that that the groups are not so large.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if you’ve not been finding enough people to successfully bring down dragons! If you have a tanker character, you might find that more fun (and there is a certain satisfaction in shield-bashing a dragon!) but I am glad that they made the dragon fights more interesting and dynamic. So many “bosses” are too easy so it is nice that dragons at least can live up to their fearsome reputation. :)
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a non issue, you dont need to kill dragons in the overland to get the tickets. you also get tickets from the last Dragon boss in Sunspire trial(which comes with Elsweyr, which you have if you are in northern Elsweyr, dying to dragons) and completing any dungeon from either the Wrathstone or Scalebreaker DLCs. do one of those on normal. easy.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on December 3, 2019 5:54AM
  • yeey
    yeey
    ✭✭
    But Overland its to easy...
    Edited by yeey on December 3, 2019 6:02AM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zulera301 wrote: »

Give up the crud. They did do the "participation ticket" in an earlier event. You had to use the special item, but that was it.

Dying 20 times for a ticket is ludicrous. Though it is not completely optional if you want to finish out the mounts, so the other poster needs to give it a rest too.

This game should have some fun element, especially for things like this. Raid if you want to get nuked continually. Though I would likely die less in raids than here.

I probably threw away( didnt spend after i hit 12/12) enough tickets to get and evolve at least 2 mounts and i basically took 6 months off from the game.

But the whole reason most of my tickets got wasted is because i saw what a faff it was to collect berries and then evolve mounts and you can only get this during this event and during next event you get that but later you can get this again but also you can get that but only for the last half of this after you have that but not before that comes out.

Those mounts have more hurdles than the Olympics. So after the first one ,and especially seeing its the same mount reskinned 3 more times, i lost interest. Honestly i would give people like you my tickets if i could. They are just wasted on me.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This frost one caused me 15-20 deaths. Yeah I am a soft pet sorc, but I try to stay at range and continually put my shield up.

That doesn't help when the dragon throws out a ring of cold that takes up almost the entire area spawns a bunch of adds (at the same time) and then regularly nukes the ground, often with no warning.

This was even with a growing group. Fortunately we didn't wipe a 3rd time and finally killed it, but what a waste of 1/2 hour.

Dying 20 times to a dragon, unless you're soloing it, indicates PEBKAC.

As a pet Sorc you can use crit surge to heal as you damage, and purge to remove the soul tear DoT. The cold aura only damages you if you stand at the edge of the battlefield where the wind is visible. Every single ground AoE can be avoided, they only deal damage if you stay in the red long enough for the ice spikes to explode on you.

The event IS boring, as are most of them. But what you describe is something you can work to improve. I regularly see people dying to dragon wing/tail blows (blockable), strafing fire attacks (dodgeable), or from standing in AoE. Dragons have a limited number of attacks, which can all be countered. Try to understand what's killing you and how you can avoid it next time.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The event is fabulously underwhelming.

In contrast to Witches Festival, which felt really fun and encouraged group activities. And Undaunted, which packed more emotion, laughs and pain into a 30 minute server meltdown than this event will over 2 fricken weeks.

Northern Elsweyr is, quite literally, a desert. Empty of other adventurers and, often, dragons. Boring to traverse and pretty much the least interesting zone outside Rivenspire. You can regularly wait there for 10 minutes without seeing a dragon spawn. And you’ll waste the best part of 30 minutes attempting to do the ‘kill 3 dragons’ daily. Every second I spend there makes me long for the moment I won’t have to return.

At least in Southern Elsweyr the dragons spawn very regularly and like to hang out at locations that are convenient for weyshrines. These two factors ensure there is always a decent crowd of players hunting them down. This feels like it should have been the chapter, with Elsweyr being the optional DLC.

I can’t say I am awfully bothered about being killed by dragons, they are supposed to be mean, ornery and deadly creatures after all and I’ve got way more soul gems than I need. However, there is still no indication whatsoever for the area affected by the wing thrash or the extent of the bite, which make it hard to judge when you’re in danger and there is no adequate death recap from ZOS (no surprise there). I have also found the neither blocking nor dodge rolling seem to prevent the wing flap from hurtling my character into the dust. My personal favourite death is always being wing swiped by the Ice Dragon into its ice storm and frantically trying to break cc fast enough to get out of the death ring. And failing.

I don’t feel this event has really gripped anyone. We’ve already had one dragon killing event that was way more rewarding and this offers less excitement for way less rewards. It seems that not even ZOS’s hearts are really in this.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what gets me as a sorc are the dragon bites and resulting bleeds. Can you bash and interrupt them? Only thing that has worked for me is dodging.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »

Yeah, I've been killing dragons daily since the Elsewyr release, and they have definitely been powered up for this event. I suppose because people were complaining about them being too weak before? But I'm dying to the dragons a LOT more in this event than I ever have before.

They haven't been powered uo for the event, they were powered up for U24 and that includes the northern dragons which now have more mechanics. They definitely take more than before, but really there were ridiculous in U23 unless you were 5-10 underpowered pcs with no tank around.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    there is still no indication whatsoever for the area affected by the wing thrash or the extent of the bite, which make it hard to judge when you’re in danger
    For the love of Akatosh, those attacks are meant to be blocked. It's one button and you'll take almost no damage. If you see it coming, block. They don't need an AoE telegraph.
    and there is no adequate death recap from ZOS (no surprise there).
    The death recap tells you which attacks recently contributed to your dying. You're right that the information is limited, but do you really want a kind of wiki entry for every attack accessible via death recap? You could try to figure it out yourself, or use one of the dozens of ESO resources on the internet.
    I have also found the neither blocking nor dodge rolling seem to prevent the wing flap from hurtling my character into the dust. My personal favourite death is always being wing swiped by the Ice Dragon into its ice storm and frantically trying to break cc fast enough to get out of the death ring. And failing.
    You're not supposed to dodge those, just block them. If block is failing, it could be that you're blocking too late, are out of stamina, or there was some kind of input lag. I sometimes miss a block during a dragon fight, but it's exceedingly rare. As for being knocked into the storm... don't get knocked back? :wink: For those times when you miss the block, it helps to have enough hp to be able to take a few blows without croaking and keeping your health up through shields or heals. You are using food, right? Have 19-20k'ish health?
    I don’t feel this event has really gripped anyone. We’ve already had one dragon killing event that was way more rewarding and this offers less excitement for way less rewards. It seems that not even ZOS’s hearts are really in this.
    No argument from me there. This event is boring. Most events are. As are the dailies and all the fake content that's designed to have you log in and do the same thing over and over again by holding a carrot in front of your face.

Edited by daemonios on December 3, 2019 11:08AM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to read that but most of the players have jobs/school n family so not everyone can be up until late.

On the other hand, there's already people at dragon hunting grounds (Norhtern n Southern Elsweyr) when the daily resets (6am GMT). There's always many people around until, I'd say 10/10:30pm GMT.

Dragons are more challenging/dynamic and I must admit I really like the dragons v2.0. Dragons v1.0 were kind of dull: same simple mechs and since they stayed stationary after landing it helped the burnout to be quick as hell (I've seen dragons v1.0 going down in less than 2 minutes and some dragons on weekend days were up for just ONE minute. So, a lot of people struggled since they didn't have enough time to travel to them - this is why many players choose the closest hunting ground to a shrine and camp there.

The only things that kills me quickly when fighting dragons v2.0 are the nasty bites and bleeds (bleeding stacks quickly) and soul tear - can kill me if my resource pool is low in that moment, if I can't trigger my shield and/or if I can't find a synergy cleanse around. To all the other stuff I can heal myself n others and dodge the attacks such as head bumps, tail and wing trashes, aoes, adds. And combos: hit by wing/tail and thrown into an aoe....

Stay alert, check the timings to block and/or dodge. With practice we all get better.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on Xbox EU and NA.

On NA a dragon is finished in 1 minute in southern elsweyr, on EU it takes twice as long.

Even at uncommon daytimes there are always enough people around, even if it takes longer at 3 am (just had a week holiday).

There are far less people in northern elsweyr, on NA still enough, on EU it gets difficult after midnight. At 3 am no chance to finish a dragon on Norther E.

You will find most people at the starhaven wayshrine in northern. When I am too lazy to ride to the other dragons, I use the waiting time to farm some materials, as currently the elsweyr nodes drop the double amount. Especially late at night when nobody else farms, a great opportunity to spend the waiting time doing something usefull.

Your base problem (working times) is not limited to the event, Elsweyr on xbox NA (as wella s summerset) in general suffer from a low amount of players, so also doing the daily worldboss quests is sometimes almost impossible. Even at popular daytimes like 9 pm.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have actually found this event quite fun. No problem finding others to help kill dragons - and as @daemonios says, once you learn the mechs you can avoid dying.

Usually get 3 south & 3 north done in about 30-40 mins, playing at night on ps4 eu.

And Elsweyr not dead - trying to grab mats between riding to dragons & there are quite a few people doing the same / mooching around.

Killing dragons may not be to your taste, but has to be better than the dull tedious repetitive mini quests for the New Life event!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On NA a dragon is finished in 1 minute in southern elsweyr, on EU it takes twice as long.
    EU's using that metric minute...

I've cleared them on both servers. I suppose it boils down to picking the right time.

Even during the wee hours, if you trigger the combat (and can live that long), other people will usually show up to assist. This is for the overland dragons, of course, not the dungeons.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How? How are you doing that many times on a pet sorc no less? I have a pet sorc and several other mag characters and I might die if I get hit with a soul tear combined with a wing swing...and it's only if I don't block the wing swing. Or I just stand in stupid for too long due to not paying attention. No stats in health either just pure mag. With your shield and 2 healing abilities available (crit surge and the flying pet) you should not be during as much. I kill about 9 dragons a day and maybe die 2-3 times due to lag or not paying attention and I'm usually right next to the dragon 90% of the time.

Only dragon that gives me pause is the electrical one. It's 2 huge AOEs that move around don't show up on my screen due to lag but I can clearly see me being damaged if I pay attention and just pop a shield and a heal and move out of it.

Not trying to criticize you...just genuinely curious.
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t say I am awfully bothered about being killed by dragons, they are supposed to be mean, ornery and deadly creatures after all and I’ve got way more soul gems than I need.
    I am bothered. Dragons are easily killed by the giants (and by any competent mages) so there is no reason to artificially increase their danger.
    However, there is still no indication whatsoever for the area affected by the wing thrash or the extent of the bite, which make it hard to judge when you’re in danger and there is no adequate death recap from ZOS (no surprise there).
    So much this. The wing attack that is not shown until it is too late to block and will throw you into the icy ring is boring as hell. Given that the actual size of the ring is at least two times bigger than it is shown by animation and particle effects the ice dragons are one of the most hated by me.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only spend 10 minutes on this event: 5 in South Elsweyr, 5 in North Elsweyr. People are there in sufficient numbers to kill dragons fast even past midnight CEST on EU-PC. You can 4-5 man a dragon in about 10 minutes if one tanks it, which is the case late at night. But if they are 20 or so, as they usually are at peak hours, you have to be really quick to reach it before they take it down. If I notice it just as it enters the map I have to sprint on horse with rapids from the closest shrine to even get a hit on one.

At least dragons 2.0 aren't bugged like 1.0, which didn't show the AoE circle just under the dragon. Until I did Sunspire, where that circle did show under the dragon, I didn't understand what was killing me that much overland when I went melee.
    Edited by Asardes on December 3, 2019 12:51PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How? How are you doing that many times on a pet sorc no less? I have a pet sorc and several other mag characters and I might die if I get hit with a soul tear combined with a wing swing...and it's only if I don't block the wing swing. Or I just stand in stupid for too long due to not paying attention. No stats in health either just pure mag. With your shield and 2 healing abilities available (crit surge and the flying pet) you should not be during as much. I kill about 9 dragons a day and maybe die 2-3 times due to lag or not paying attention and I'm usually right next to the dragon 90% of the time.

Only dragon that gives me pause is the electrical one. It's 2 huge AOEs that move around don't show up on my screen due to lag but I can clearly see me being damaged if I pay attention and just pop a shield and a heal and move out of it.

I use a sorc (1 pet) and a magplar.
    The sorc uses critical surge and the healing from the clannfear, the templar uses his own healing and shield.

Both works well, but just if I don't use light armor.
    I always carry with me a light armor set, and 1 heavy armor, so depending on the enemy, I switch it. Dragons are certainly a case for heavy.

For magicka toons suited sets are for example torugs pact (increased weapon enchantment damage), or new moon accolyte (increased spell damage and crit).
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    I can’t say I am awfully bothered about being killed by dragons, they are supposed to be mean, ornery and deadly creatures after all and I’ve got way more soul gems than I need.
    I am bothered. Dragons are easily killed by the giants (and by any competent mages) so there is no reason to artificially increase their danger.
    However, there is still no indication whatsoever for the area affected by the wing thrash or the extent of the bite, which make it hard to judge when you’re in danger and there is no adequate death recap from ZOS (no surprise there).
    So much this. The wing attack that is not shown until it is too late to block and will throw you into the icy ring is boring as hell. Given that the actual size of the ring is at least two times bigger than it is shown by animation and particle effects the ice dragons are one of the most hated by me.

But what wing attack is this? The only wing slap I have ever received from dragons is the one that is clearly telegraphed. The dragon starts looking at you, considers you, then raises it's wing and brings it down in a slap. Even if you don't pay attention to the head, the part where the dragon raises its wing is the cue for you to dodge or block (I dodge).

Are people lagging so much they don't get the dragons' animations at all?
    Edited by Raisin on December 3, 2019 12:58PM
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

Dying 20 times to a dragon, unless you're soloing it, indicates PEBKAC.

As a pet Sorc you can use crit surge to heal as you damage, and purge to remove the soul tear DoT. The cold aura only damages you if you stand at the edge of the battlefield where the wind is visible. Every single ground AoE can be avoided, they only deal damage if you stay in the red long enough for the ice spikes to explode on you.

The event IS boring, as are most of them. But what you describe is something you can work to improve. I regularly see people dying to dragon wing/tail blows (blockable), strafing fire attacks (dodgeable), or from standing in AoE. Dragons have a limited number of attacks, which can all be countered. Try to understand what's killing you and how you can avoid it next time.

20 times is PEBCAK.
    Though if you live in a higher latency area you randomly get a sudden death every few dragons. Sometimes one of the ground AOEs will suddenly pop in under you already having hit you for 3-4 ticks. It's not common enough for 20 deaths a dragon though. That's just dumb play.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I use a sorc (1 pet) and a magplar.
    The sorc uses critical surge and the healing from the clannfear, the templar uses his own healing and shield.

Both works well, but just if I don't use light armor.
    I always carry with me a light armor set, and 1 heavy armor, so depending on the enemy, I switch it. Dragons are certainly a case for heavy.

For magicka toons suited sets are for example torugs pact (increased weapon enchantment damage), or new moon accolyte (increased spell damage and crit).

That is because you are using Clannfear.
    It now scaless with stamina.
    Also Matriarch heal is the best burst heal. It heals up to 14k for me.
    Also streak is very useful avoiding the red circles and dragons fire.
    Plus you are a range player so there is no way a dragon can catch you if you streak away.