The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

The “Easy Sorc” build

• Milambersf
    Milambersf
    ✭✭✭
    So when you are insinuating either dishonesty or incompetence you should provide a better argument.

No, this is his thing to work through.

He is "testing" someone else's build, and returning numbers that are well below that build's ceiling on an Iron Attro. Also, the heavy attacks are not hitting nearly as hard as they should for that build. Something is not right here.

This is also not the first time he's put his thumb on the scale when testing Xynode's work. Again, the infamous Alkosh as a DPS set "test" comes to mind. So, in that case, it's worth understanding that, in addition to the resist debuff that made Woeler slap Alkosh on the tank, there's also a significant DoT on the set. (This works out to be slightly under 20k, depending on CP and gear quality. Base gold 160 is about 12k over 10 seconds.) That DoT is applied when you trigger a synergy, but, very importantly, there is no cooldown, and the DoT is self-stacking. (That, self stacking thing is very important. This isn't just 1200-1800/1900 DPS from the set, you get that for each synergy you hoover up, and you can grab a lot in a hectic fight. Especially now that stuff like Orbs is non-competitive.)

So, Teh "tested" it by using the trial dummy, which provides you with shards, but no other synergies. Which means you have a set that can, potentially (and, yes, I do mean in a live situation here, not just, "on paper"), deal a lot of damage (even if it doesn't crit), but you can't see that on a trial dummy because you need to proc it off of synergies, and there's only two synergies in the game that can be taken by the player generating them. (This creates a theoretically ceiling of around 6k DPS from the set, though in a practical sense, you're talking more like 4k, because one of those sources is a set that won't be doing your DPS any favors.)

EDIT: In a live situation, if you can hoover up three or four synergies in ten seconds, that could easily be 6-8k damage per second from a set, on top of the resists debuffs, if you're not already getting those from the tank. It's a medium armor set, it's not "supposed to be" used for tanking.

Hell, in this thread, he's argued that the bonus damage from UI cannot crit, which is flatly untrue because it's not proc set damage, it's a buff that applies to the light and heavy attacks, which can still crit, modifying said bonus.

So, he has a history of being economical with the truth when he decides he's going to go after Xynode.

The combat metrics buff configuration is, basically trivial right now, it's a sideshow that doesn't matter, because looking at the numbers provided, I can already say, "something is not right here."

(snip)
    The point is not to say easy sorc is bad and can’t clear stuff, you can clear everything with it.
    The point is just to say it’s neither the most efficient magsorc nor dps build in optimised raid groups. Not speaking about any other content than 12 man raids here. Have a look at world records group compositions, please come back once you find a single easy sorc (even a single sorc). Also you may expect players who actually DID clear everything in the game, got their trifectas on several roles and all to know what they’re talking about. I looked for xynode’s raid scores and couldn’t find anything worth mentioning.
    Tldr his build works, the only denied part is the “BiS” many of you seem to assume and that Xynode did NOT claim.

(edited for baiting)
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on November 21, 2019 4:01PM
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i had a sorcerer. A lightning maelstrom staff and could be bothered grinding for the other staff Id use this build. No sustain issues, excellent aoe and good enough single target. :*
    Options
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After reviewing this thread, we have decided that we should remind everyone to keep all posts civil and constructive. Baiting and Flaming other members of the community is a violation of the rules we have in place. So moving forward, let's please keep everything within the guidelines of the rules we have in place. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free and take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on November 21, 2019 12:20AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just not seeing the point here, except to drag a content creator through the muck.

What is the goal here? I've never heard Xynode refer to the easy sorc build having anything to do with the gear at all, rather the rotation.

Does the so called end game community really want everyone just running the exact same things? How utterly sad and boring. All so you don't see an extra mechanic or two? Leaderboard rewards are the same for 1 as 100...if bragging rights are all that important to you, your priorities are screwed.
    Not to mention I'm to believe you "top tier" players are so afraid of seeing mechanics you're willing to drag someone's work under the bus...why? Because his build might take an extra second or two to kill a boss? Doesn't sound like you're too confident in your abilities if a few seconds worry you. "It's the difference..." between what? A useless ranking? Hilarious.

The entire stick up the bum nature of this debate is ridiculous.
    Keep this $hi+ in WoW where it belongs.
    Edited by Kel on November 21, 2019 1:47PM
    Options
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this thread started as an appreciation of Xynode's build but then got side tracked. Heels the feels made a video after seeing so many trying to farm UI set and laid out an easier to farm alternative. That brought down an army of loyal followers calling him and others toxic (on youtube and twitter) and wanting to flame Xynode. THAT side tracked the whole thing. I've yet to see anyone with experience call this build a bunch of hooey, only to explain that there are alternatives that are easier to farm. I've tested this build myself on PTS and alternatives. There's nothing wrong with it. It works fine and can get you far into the end-game, if you're willing to grind Arx Corinium.
    Options
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had to sit down and watch the new video. It changed a little bit. He uses a pet now. Rotation is different. Same gear I think. Still hits hard. Looks great. I really like the lightning theme on a Sorc. I suspect many do. I’ve shareplayed a number of lightning Sorcs.

There’s much talk about “this or that” being better or “easier” whether it’s to aquire Gear or play. Xynode’s build is his own.

I do recall Masel putting something similar together years ago before trait changing or even different jewelry traits was even a thing in the game.

I can confirm that the build will work for you if you’re progging or trying to get into a progression. You can modify it at will. Nobody’s gonna come hunt you down.

I can also confirm that some BiS setup will play really bad in some circumstances. The BiS changes depending on content, then your stuck with what’s the next best thing and the next and anything outside of BiS to a point where it really doesn’t matter and you just need something that works.

Even if you’re terrible with rotation, this build carries. It’s forgiving like that. Where as any build using siroria is not so forgiving and your damage is going to suffer really bad if you screw it up. Heck, any light attack rotation is going to suffer dramatically if you can’t perform it well.

Heavy attack rotations are admittedly less single target damage. This one buffs the daylights out of the AOE to make up for it and that effect gives it a very strong feel and comfort of ease to play. It does well in Crags, VMOL, VHOF, VSS, I’d say vet cloudrest, but I haven’t done that yet. I could see it being not so great in VAS because that is a very single target oriented fight.

I tried some other things along the way. (Setting out daedric mines every 5 seconds is gonna get some eyebrows raised in your direction) More single target oriented builds. Fire Sticks instead of lightning. Generic Psijic spammable. There’s not one thing that works best everywhere.

IMO, there’s more fights in the game where strong AOE is worth more than pure single target damage. And way more places where it doesn’t matter how much DPS you have, you’re gonna still have to play mechanics.
    Options
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Infallible Aether Supposedly only does extra damage now with the last tick. It used to do and extra 900 or so Damage every tick of the lightning stave heavy attack. So that could change things a bit. I dont know?
    (...)
    With those changes to Infal only doing extra damage on the last tick, I do question if undaunted Infaltrator received the same treatment? If that is the case, I could see that severely hurting the build and then all this conversation is for nothing.
    FWIW, I tested both IA and UI on the PTS just now.

Result: they both apply the damage bonus to every tick of a fully-charged lightning staff HA.
    So on the PTS at least, nothing has changed in that regard.
    Options
  • bongtokin420insd16
    bongtokin420insd16
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI, it took me about 12 runs to get the UI i needed. Not really bad, though i suspect i got a little lucky. Tanked it on vet, max 20 minute runs. So about 4 hours? Seems worth it to me, and easier than grinding trials.
    Kaz_Wastelander PS4NA
    Options
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never seen a PVE build infuriate so many people
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milambersf wrote: »
    ...the only denied part is the “BiS” many of you seem to assume and that Xynode did NOT claim.

Which is funny because if you'd ever interacted with Xy, you'd know that he rails against the entire concept of "BiS" in ESO.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, it took me about 12 runs to get the UI i needed. Not really bad, though i suspect i got a little lucky. Tanked it on vet, max 20 minute runs. So about 4 hours? Seems worth it to me, and easier than grinding trials.

Yeah, you got lucky there. IA body isn't a bad farm if you're with a group that's willing to give you pieces, because body pieces are, in general, easy to farm.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    What is the goal here? I've never heard Xynode refer to the easy sorc build having anything to do with the gear at all, rather the rotation.

It's both. The build is the skills, the rotation, and the gear. That said, there is flexibility on the gear, UI+IA performs best on the setup, but it's not the only loadout. The old version (actually the version of Easy Sorc I used to run) was Spider Cultist + Netch's Touch. Swapping those out (for IA and UI) will improve performance dramatically, however.

EDIT: minor modification for clarity.
    Edited by starkerealm on November 22, 2019 8:37AM
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You got more than lucky. I have literally run Arx Corinium what must be well over 100 times now, not a single shock staff drop. If you dropped that after only 12 runs... wow.

In contrast, I dropped full IA in only a few runs. So its swings and roundabouts.

For the above reasons, my version of "Easy sorc" does not use UI. I mean, adjust the build as you need to, to suite your play style and the content.
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's both. The build is the skills, the rotation, and the gear. That said, there is flexibility on the gear, UI+IA performs best on the setup, but it's not the only loadout. The old version (actually the version of Easy Sorc I used to run) was Spider Cultist + Netch's Touch. Swapping those out (for IA and UI) will improve performance dramatically, however.

Using Netch now is massively sub optimal, it used to be that literally everything in the build did shock damage, this is no longer the case. Now youd probably be better off with something like Mothers Sorrow or Julianos etc.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Using Netch now is massively sub optimal, it used to be that literally everything in the build did shock damage, this is no longer the case. Now youd probably be better off with something like Mothers Sorrow or Julianos etc.

Might actually get value out of New Moon Acolyte if you have access to it, it'd take some further tinkering to avoid overpen, but resources shouldn't be much of an issue.
    Options
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Might actually get value out of New Moon Acolyte if you have access to it, it'd take some further tinkering to avoid overpen, but resources shouldn't be much of an issue.

It loses out on max magicka though
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It loses out on max magicka though

Yeah, though the tradeoff may be worth it because of the raw spell damage.

It ends up in a weird situation where you'd kinda need to test for yourself and see how it works for you. NMA's a very situational set, but this is one of the times when the weakness might, honestly, not matter.
    Options
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that new moon works well on easy sorc like builds. All of the benefits with no sustain problems. Just drop all the champion points in penetration. Or keep them if you want some more cleave for trash.
    Edited by Kolzki on November 22, 2019 9:57PM
    Options
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a gold undaunted infiltrator necklace at the golden vendor in cyrodiil this weekend for anyone running this build who has deep pockets.
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This back-and-forth love/hate discussion makes me want to try it. Lol
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    There's a gold undaunted infiltrator necklace at the golden vendor in cyrodiil this weekend for anyone running this build who has deep pockets.

Worth knowing... I guess for any application, that gold jewelry is one of the smallest bumps you can apply to a build. The same is true for jewelry quality across the board, really.

Set bonuses are calculated by taking each equipped piece and averaging their bonuses. So, if you have a max stat increase the bonus will be around ~7.8 (going from memory here), if you're looking at a weapon/spell damage stat, each piece of jewelry upgraded from purple to gold will increase that stat by 1.

The traits themselves get a nice bump going from purple to gold, but, again, not enough to fully justify the cost.

In the case of UI, you're looking at less than 100 extra max magicka for going from purple to gold. (Again, going from memory, as I haven't logged in to check.) Now, I'm not saying, "don't grab this," but I am saying, gold jewelry is a marginal increase. If you already have a purple (or even a blue) neck, don't sweat it, you're good.
    Options
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that new moon works well on easy sorc like builds. All of the benefits with no sustain problems. Just drop all the champion points in penetration. Or keep them if you want some more cleave for trash.

What other set are you using along with NMA?
    Options
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ascarl wrote: »

What other set are you using along with NMA?

For the undaunted infiltrator plus infallible aether easy sorc pulls around 47% of its dps from light and heavy attacks alone. Swap one of those out for NMA or mother’s sorrow and you’ll shift the percentage of dps more towards the pet and damage skills.

I used to run a 1 pet build that was very close to the current easy sorc build in a vas +2 group. That build ran mothers sorrow with infallible aether. It was otherwise very similar to the current xynode easy sorc build.

The build should hit decent damage dropping either UI or IA for mother’s sorrow or new moon acolyte. They might have some affect on the optimal rotation though.

I’d check Xynode’s website though for his alternative gear setups. His recommended alternative setup without trial gear is currently NMA and Turogs Pact. There’s a whole range of other suggestions there too.
    Options
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    In lieu of last weeks Xynode appreciation thread, I was compelled to try out this easy Sorc build.

Simple put it’s Undaunted Infaltrator, Infallible Aether, Grothdar.

Xynode recommends an Undaunted Infaltrator Lightning stave...I spent much time trying to acquire with no success. So, I made some changes.

To complete the sets, I’m using 2 medium armor, 5 light, and an IA Lightning staff because I had a few of them lying around. I do indeed have more Maelstrom staves than could ever possibly need, but realize this build is likely designed to help someone acquire them.

Transmuted the jewelry to infused/ bloodthirsty. It’s purple with purple enchants. My IA staff is purple and precise. Grothdar is 2 light, Because I had them to make the sets line up.

My character is dark elf he recommends high elf.

How does it play?

It’s like old school pet Sorc, but with no pet. Massive AOE damage everywhere. lacks in the single target a little bit. That’s not such a bad thing when you got that much hard hitting AOE everywhere.

It feels stronger than Pet build....you can use pets too. It’s versatile. I like it. Had a lot of fun.

If you run out of resources, you’re doing something terribly wrong. I was skeptical using weapon damage enchant and shock enchant with no Absorb magic enchant, but the heavy attacks more than make up for recovery.

I’ve never been good with Sorc. So I left the Lightning form skill un morphed. It made me move too fast and couldn’t see the guy and lightning everywhere is makes it tuff for me to tell wth is going on. Did not need the speed buff too.

It’s very strange not having a real spammable on the front bar. Daedric tomb is kind of wonky, diddnt really like. Or clench. Pulsar though, fits the theme; adds utility, hits good. I like it.

I soloed the daily Undaunted pledges. Easily.

I had a much more difficult time doing them in Siroria/ Mother Sorrow/Zaan.

I ran Maelstrom one time with the setup. It was pretty good in there actually. MS Siroria Zaan would be laughable. Guarantee. I’m not the best Sorc ever, but this setup is solid. I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to try something different.

Some other things

Having the 2 medium body pieces and jewelry may not be %100 optimal, but it did insure the 5 piece Undaunted Infaltrator Buff was always on. Lost a little bit for no 511, but still right around 40k mag 3k Spell Damage buffed. Could be a little better if some things were golded out or wat not.

Undaunted Infiltrator is a weird freaking set. Medium armor. Has 2 add magic bonus. Weapon Crit, not spell Crit, then the light attack does 700 extra damage, heavys do 1100 extra damage. Because the Damage adds every tick of lightning staff heavy it makes it really good for lightning staff heavy attack.

In trial, you can throw in trap beast or Channeled Acceleration somewhere for the minor force.

What did I just read?
    | All classes | PC EU |
    Options
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In lieu of last weeks Xynode appreciation thread, I was compelled to try out this easy Sorc build.

Xynode recommends an Undaunted Infaltrator Lightning stave...I spent much time trying to acquire with no success. So, I made some changes.

To complete the sets, I’m using 2 medium armor, 5 light, and an IA Lightning staff because I had a few of them lying around. I do indeed have more Maelstrom staves than could ever possibly need, but realize this build is likely designed to help someone acquire them.

Transmuted the jewelry to infused/ bloodthirsty. It’s purple with purple enchants. My IA staff is purple and precise. Grothdar is 2 light, Because I had them to make the sets line up.

How does it play?

It’s like old school pet Sorc, but with no pet. Massive AOE damage everywhere. lacks in the single target a little bit. That’s not such a bad thing when you got that much hard hitting AOE everywhere.

It feels stronger than Pet build....you can use pets too. It’s versatile. I like it. Had a lot of fun.

If you run out of resources, you’re doing something terribly wrong. I was skeptical using weapon damage enchant and shock enchant with no Absorb magic enchant, but the heavy attacks more than make up for recovery.

I’ve never been good with Sorc. So I left the Lightning form skill un morphed. It made me move too fast and couldn’t see the guy and lightning everywhere is makes it tuff for me to tell wth is going on. Did not need the speed buff too.

It’s very strange not having a real spammable on the front bar. Daedric tomb is kind of wonky, diddnt really like. Or clench. Pulsar though, fits the theme; adds utility, hits good. I like it.

I ran Maelstrom one time with the setup. It was pretty good in there actually. MS Siroria Zaan would be laughable. Guarantee. I’m not the best Sorc ever, but this setup is solid. I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to try something different.

Some other things

Having the 2 medium body pieces and jewelry may not be %100 optimal, but it did insure the 5 piece Undaunted Infaltrator Buff was always on. Lost a little bit for no 511, but still right around 40k mag 3k Spell Damage buffed. Could be a little better if some things were golded out or wat not.

Undaunted Infiltrator is a weird freaking set. Medium armor. Has 2 add magic bonus. Weapon Crit, not spell Crit, then the light attack does 700 extra damage, heavys do 1100 extra damage. Because the Damage adds every tick of lightning staff heavy it makes it really good for lightning staff heavy attack.

In trial, you can throw in trap beast or Channeled Acceleration somewhere for the minor force.

Force Pulse. Elemental Weapon. Heavy attack build...... I mean how dumb is this build........

Undaunted Infiltrator:
    (5 PIECES) When you use an ability that costs Magicka, your Light Attacks deal an additional 774 damage and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1161 damage for 10 seconds.

Set is plain garbage. Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam. Idk this set up is gna give me a stroke.

PeO6e1R.png
    Edited by Blackbird_V on November 24, 2019 4:40PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam does way less damage than I thought.

Fixed that for ya.
    Options
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xy does a crap ton of testing and if Elegant was better than UI it would be on the build.
    Options
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam does way less damage than I thought.

Fixed that for ya.

How is that fixing it? He is 100% correct. Both are bad to use either way, but if going for a light attack spam queens elegance is better.
    | All classes | PC EU |
    Options
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxyte wrote: »

Fixed that for ya.

How is that fixing it? He is 100% correct. Both are bad to use either way, but if going for a light attack spam queens elegance is better.

Ye but for heavy attack spam ui is better, hehe
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araxyte wrote: »

How does it play?

Some other things

What did I just read?

How does it play?

Some other things

Force Pulse. Elemental Weapon. Heavy attack build...... I mean how dumb is this build........

Undaunted Infiltrator:
    (5 PIECES) When you use an ability that costs Magicka, your Light Attacks deal an additional 774 damage and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1161 damage for 10 seconds.

Set is plain garbage. Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam. Idk this set up is gna give me a stroke.

PeO6e1R.png

Two people quoting the same post at almost the same time?

Sounds like someone called in the troops from discord...
    Options
This discussion has been closed.