Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The “Easy Sorc” build

• Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    Araxyte wrote: »
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    In lieu of last weeks Xynode appreciation thread, I was compelled to try out this easy Sorc build.

Simple put it’s Undaunted Infaltrator, Infallible Aether, Grothdar.

Xynode recommends an Undaunted Infaltrator Lightning stave...I spent much time trying to acquire with no success. So, I made some changes.

To complete the sets, I’m using 2 medium armor, 5 light, and an IA Lightning staff because I had a few of them lying around. I do indeed have more Maelstrom staves than could ever possibly need, but realize this build is likely designed to help someone acquire them.

Transmuted the jewelry to infused/ bloodthirsty. It’s purple with purple enchants. My IA staff is purple and precise. Grothdar is 2 light, Because I had them to make the sets line up.

My character is dark elf he recommends high elf.

How does it play?

It’s like old school pet Sorc, but with no pet. Massive AOE damage everywhere. lacks in the single target a little bit. That’s not such a bad thing when you got that much hard hitting AOE everywhere.

It feels stronger than Pet build....you can use pets too. It’s versatile. I like it. Had a lot of fun.

If you run out of resources, you’re doing something terribly wrong. I was skeptical using weapon damage enchant and shock enchant with no Absorb magic enchant, but the heavy attacks more than make up for recovery.

I’ve never been good with Sorc. So I left the Lightning form skill un morphed. It made me move too fast and couldn’t see the guy and lightning everywhere is makes it tuff for me to tell wth is going on. Did not need the speed buff too.

It’s very strange not having a real spammable on the front bar. Daedric tomb is kind of wonky, diddnt really like. Or clench. Pulsar though, fits the theme; adds utility, hits good. I like it.

I soloed the daily Undaunted pledges. Easily.

I had a much more difficult time doing them in Siroria/ Mother Sorrow/Zaan.

I ran Maelstrom one time with the setup. It was pretty good in there actually. MS Siroria Zaan would be laughable. Guarantee. I’m not the best Sorc ever, but this setup is solid. I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to try something different.

Some other things

Having the 2 medium body pieces and jewelry may not be %100 optimal, but it did insure the 5 piece Undaunted Infaltrator Buff was always on. Lost a little bit for no 511, but still right around 40k mag 3k Spell Damage buffed. Could be a little better if some things were golded out or wat not.

Undaunted Infiltrator is a weird freaking set. Medium armor. Has 2 add magic bonus. Weapon Crit, not spell Crit, then the light attack does 700 extra damage, heavys do 1100 extra damage. Because the Damage adds every tick of lightning staff heavy it makes it really good for lightning staff heavy attack.

In trial, you can throw in trap beast or Channeled Acceleration somewhere for the minor force.

What did I just read?
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    In lieu of last weeks Xynode appreciation thread, I was compelled to try out this easy Sorc build.

Simple put it’s Undaunted Infaltrator, Infallible Aether, Grothdar.

Xynode recommends an Undaunted Infaltrator Lightning stave...I spent much time trying to acquire with no success. So, I made some changes.

To complete the sets, I’m using 2 medium armor, 5 light, and an IA Lightning staff because I had a few of them lying around. I do indeed have more Maelstrom staves than could ever possibly need, but realize this build is likely designed to help someone acquire them.

Transmuted the jewelry to infused/ bloodthirsty. It’s purple with purple enchants. My IA staff is purple and precise. Grothdar is 2 light, Because I had them to make the sets line up.

My character is dark elf he recommends high elf.

How does it play?

It’s like old school pet Sorc, but with no pet. Massive AOE damage everywhere. lacks in the single target a little bit. That’s not such a bad thing when you got that much hard hitting AOE everywhere.

It feels stronger than Pet build....you can use pets too. It’s versatile. I like it. Had a lot of fun.

If you run out of resources, you’re doing something terribly wrong. I was skeptical using weapon damage enchant and shock enchant with no Absorb magic enchant, but the heavy attacks more than make up for recovery.

I’ve never been good with Sorc. So I left the Lightning form skill un morphed. It made me move too fast and couldn’t see the guy and lightning everywhere is makes it tuff for me to tell wth is going on. Did not need the speed buff too.

It’s very strange not having a real spammable on the front bar. Daedric tomb is kind of wonky, diddnt really like. Or clench. Pulsar though, fits the theme; adds utility, hits good. I like it.

I soloed the daily Undaunted pledges. Easily.

I had a much more difficult time doing them in Siroria/ Mother Sorrow/Zaan.

I ran Maelstrom one time with the setup. It was pretty good in there actually. MS Siroria Zaan would be laughable. Guarantee. I’m not the best Sorc ever, but this setup is solid. I’d recommend it to anyone wanting to try something different.

Some other things

Having the 2 medium body pieces and jewelry may not be %100 optimal, but it did insure the 5 piece Undaunted Infaltrator Buff was always on. Lost a little bit for no 511, but still right around 40k mag 3k Spell Damage buffed. Could be a little better if some things were golded out or wat not.

Undaunted Infiltrator is a weird freaking set. Medium armor. Has 2 add magic bonus. Weapon Crit, not spell Crit, then the light attack does 700 extra damage, heavys do 1100 extra damage. Because the Damage adds every tick of lightning staff heavy it makes it really good for lightning staff heavy attack.

In trial, you can throw in trap beast or Channeled Acceleration somewhere for the minor force.

Force Pulse. Elemental Weapon. Heavy attack build...... I mean how dumb is this build........

Undaunted Infiltrator:
    (5 PIECES) When you use an ability that costs Magicka, your Light Attacks deal an additional 774 damage and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1161 damage for 10 seconds.

Set is plain garbage. Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam. Idk this set up is gna give me a stroke.

PeO6e1R.png

Two people quoting the same post at almost the same time?

Sounds like someone called in the troops from discord...

Oh and others quoting me at the same time. Guess someone called in the troops from discord....

You did technically quote me. And no, I did not call in "troops from discord".

Edit: Guess no one is allowed to voice their opinion any way since the forum warrior army rages at you. lul.
    Edited by Blackbird_V on November 24, 2019 6:11PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elegance looks good on paper. In practise it’s pretty bad thanks to some weird quirks about how the damage bonus is calculated.
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guess no one is allowed to voice their opinion any way since the forum warrior army rages at you. lul

Hi Valkyn.

There is a significant difference between "voicing an opinion" and stating something authoritatively.

You stated very clearly that Queen's Elegance is better for a HA/LA build than UI.

This is false for a Lightning Staff HA build. It has been proven mathematically many, many times that UI blows QE out of the water for a Lightning Staff HA build.

This is due to a quirk in the way Lightning Heavy Attacks function and has actually been known for several years.
    Edited by Mindcr0w on November 24, 2019 9:46PM
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did I just read?
    Only the first post of a very long thread?

• The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is why some people have such a vendetta against Xy and his build philosophy. I've watched 10mns of one of his streams - seems like a nice guy. Let's all be adults here. If you don't like it, don't run it.

Edited by The_Lex on November 24, 2019 10:43PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    Elegance looks good on paper. In practise it’s pretty bad thanks to some weird quirks about how the damage bonus is calculated.

Also makes it shockingly easy to identify the people who actually test vs the ones who just look at the sets and go, "hmm, this sounds amazing."

And, yeah, on paper, UI sounds like utter garbage. The part where the set actually performs remarkably well with lightning staves is goofy, but also something that comes up when you do test the set.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for baiting, flaming and derailing, content that is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is that fixing it? He is 100% correct. Both are bad to use either way, but if going for a light attack spam queens elegance is better.

Emphasis added.

The critical thing to remember about the Easy Sorc? It's not a LA spam build; it's a HA spam build. Which sounds insane, but the build performs admirably. In that context, Queen's Elegance does significantly less damage than UI.

Ironically, if I was going for an actual LA spam build, I wouldn't look at either UI or QE, I'd go stam and start with stuff like the Wolfhunter medium sets. If you want a LA spam build, you're going to find better sets to support that on the stam side of the game.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Man, there’s no rest for the wicked around here. Lol

I tried elegant. It blows. Maybe it used to be good. But not anymore. Even though it looks like it should be good.

There was something about a content creator spat along the way. Sorry everyone, it breaks down like this:

Alcast will let you know the BiS.

Th3 doesn’t really have any builds that I can tell, but can confirm with lots of math and spreadsheets and statistics what Alcast already told you.

Then you have everyone else.

It’s that simple.

Be very careful about gaining an audience and presenting unique builds. The community may decide to rip you a new one. But not me. I want to try it out. And see where it can excel. I want to see it work. I want to be blown away by simplicity. I think we all want to break the meta.

Keep on theory crafting friends!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    What I don't get is why some people have such a vendetta against Xy and his build philosophy. I've watched 10mns of one of his streams - seems like a nice guy. Let's all be adults here. If you don't like it, don't run it.

I dont have anything about his build philosophy, i have something against the farm for lightning staff and use of 200 transmute crystals (jewelry+weapon) for a set that doesn't preform better than what i already have in bank. I mean, even op said he didnt manage to complete the build because he didn't find the lightning stave, so he had to change it a bit. I dont think it is healthy for a build :3

Edit: and thats btw what most people that advise against it have in mind while you know, advising against it.
    Edited by zvavi on November 25, 2019 7:13AM
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

I dont have anything about his build philosophy, i have something against the farm for lightning staff and use of 200 transmute crystals (jewelry+weapon) for a set that doesn't preform better than what i already have in bank. I mean, even op said he didnt manage to complete the build because he didn't find the lightning stave, so he had to change it a bit. I dont think it is healthy for a build :3

*****DING DING DING*****

We have a winner!!!!!!!
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i’ve been wanting to try the build out but that freaking UI Staff won’t drop and usually since Arx Corinium is a low level Dungeon when i queue up when it finally lands everyone else is below 160 so if i don’t get it myself im screwed. What sucks the most is the fact that they made it a medium armor set and the jewelry has to be transmuted because they are robust.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ysbriel the dungeon is not hard, just go vet, just remember to stick relatively close to the boss so it wont one shot jump on you (while avoiding the aoe it has of course)
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@zvavi thats the thing, for it to actually land on Vet is only when it’s a pledge since nobody really farms that dungeon
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why you do more light attacks on a heavy attack build. Those are many skills on the back bar!

How would you suggest to make the rotation more focused on the front bar?
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ysbriel
    Well you have few options then xd
    1. creat a magblade and go invis chest hunting there
    2. Go farm solo normals alone while queued for vet
    3. Keep farming it on normals
    4. Go farm mats while queued for vet
    5. Ditch the set and go mother's sorrow (infused lightning staves are farmable in an overland quest)
    6. Do what @op did and get 2 medium pieces
    7. Wait for it to be in pledge to farm vet.

Side notes:
    I dont know how well option n1 works there,
    Vet has more chance to drop staff thanks to chests being not simple (from champion points) so it is better to farm it either way, and my favorite options are 1 5 and 7.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vesselwiththepestle one of the strong points of ui is that you can front bar it, and the 5th effects "carries" to back bar, so you dont have to be as focused on staying front bar, but if you want you can morph wall of elements and lightning flood for the longer duration morphs (dont remember the exact names) but you will be easily over sustaining so I don't know why would you do that, when the shorter morphs provide more dmg
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite farming option is to run with guild mates. It’s a very niche set. People are usually more than happy to give it away.

Running mothers sorrow front bar is a solid option while farming. Not technically the easy sorc build but it’s still strong and mothers sorrow is a staple of end game, so you’ll probably want a set anyway.

Crafted sets like nma and julianos suffer from the need for jewelry crafting, making them an expensive substitute for UI.

If you are happy to LFG in cyrodill then you can farm those transmutes. The end of monthly campaign reward at tier one (25k alliance points) and above includes 50 transmute crystals. Of course you can only get those 50 crystals once per month per character.

It’s also worth noting that easy sorc heavy attacks cut through squishy zergs like a hot knife through butter.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ysbriel, it's always surprising to me how many people actually do farm this set. Also, you can queue for specific dungeons, so it's not like you need to (or even, realistically can) farm by using Random Norm/Vet rolls.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit: and thats btw what most people that advise against it have in mind while you know, advising against it.

Let's be honest, you were going to farm for a lightning staff anyway. Difference is, it's easier to farm a UI zap stick than an IA one. Certainly cheaper than a MS one.

As for 200 crystals? What else are you going to do with them? I mean, granted, I'm the guy sitting here with a metric ton of the things that I can't use, but if you're doing your pledges, and even just pugging normal trials with any frequency, you'll be drowning in crystals faster than you can spend them.

Even my alt account is sitting at over 200 right now, and I don't even run group content on them usually.

So, what you get is a build that is very easy to run. If you're sitting there going, "yeah, but I can run this high intensity FGD + MS build on my nightblade that puts out a ton of damage," congrats. You're not the person this build was designed for.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Difference is, it's easier to farm a UI zap stick than an IA one. Certainly cheaper than a MS one.

Just an FYI stark, you can do a quest in Tal'Deic that drops an Infused MS "zap stick". Plus as an added bonus you can do the quest on multiple characters if you need more than one staff
    Edited by pod88kk on November 25, 2019 10:23AM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Force Pulse. Elemental Weapon. Heavy attack build...... I mean how dumb is this build........

Undaunted Infiltrator:
    (5 PIECES) When you use an ability that costs Magicka, your Light Attacks deal an additional 774 damage and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1161 damage for 10 seconds.

Set is plain garbage. Queens Elegance is way better for a HA/LA spam. Idk this set up is gna give me a stroke.

PeO6e1R.png

I am pretty sure that Queens Elegance has been tested for this build and that UI is pulling more dps over the piece than the 20% from QE. If not, then that would be pretty damning of Xynode and the build.

To say UI is plain garbage, when its been tested and UI is better than QE, just makes you sound a bit silly.

That said, if you have testing that shows differently, I am sure everyone in this thread and beyond would love to see it.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, you were going to farm for a lightning staff anyway. Difference is, it's easier to farm a UI zap stick than an IA one. Certainly cheaper than a MS one.

This very much depends on your definition of "easy".

I have run Arx Corinium what must be well over 100 times, perhaps closer to 200. I have never dropped the UI Lighting Staff. Fact.

Within a few runs of Hel Ra trial, I dropped a full set of IA, within a few more, I had a Lightning Staff.

Trials provide 11 additional chances to drop what you need, as opposed to only 3 other chances in a dungeon... this is significant. The dungeon may be quick and easy to complete, but clearly from experience this isnt counting for anything!

I run my own version of Easy Sorc, but the grind is anything but easy and that is my personal bug bare with the build, even though I like it. Simply not being able to actually run it to optimum with UI, has made me consider switching to a pet build or some other option.

Since UI became the bis for the build, I rarely run it and usually turn to my Magsorc or Magden instead.
  • Eso101rus
    Eso101rus
    ✭✭✭✭

I have run Arx Corinium what must be well over 100 times, perhaps closer to 200. I have never dropped the UI Lighting Staff. Fact.

Within a few runs of Hel Ra trial, I dropped a full set of IA, within a few more, I had a Lightning Staff.

Trials provide 11 additional chances to drop what you need, as opposed to only 3 other chances in a dungeon... this is significant. The dungeon may be quick and easy to complete, but clearly from experience this isnt counting for anything!

I run my own version of Easy Sorc, but the grind is anything but easy and that is my personal bug bare with the build, even though I like it. Simply not being able to actually run it to optimum with UI, has made me consider switching to a pet build or some other option.

Since UI became the bis for the build, I rarely run it and usually turn to my Magsorc or Magden instead.

Err...I think the latest version of this build does have a pet, one of those annoying flappy things. Go back a few years this build was in a very special place, but changes to off balance uptime and splash damage etc have sadly taken away from this build. But this build is a good stepping stone for people who are learning the game or who don’t yet have the skill to run a light attack rotation as easily. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this build will be used by those looking to achieve Godslayer (albeit it might be used in a Godslayer run in the future), but that is not how it has been advertised either.

Nb, I’ve had the UI lightning drop twice without looking for it.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso101rus wrote: »

Err...I think the latest version of this build does have a pet, one of those annoying flappy things. Go back a few years this build was in a very special place, but changes to off balance uptime and splash damage etc have sadly taken away from this build. But this build is a good stepping stone for people who are learning the game or who don’t yet have the skill to run a light attack rotation as easily. I don’t think anyone is suggesting this build will be used by those looking to achieve Godslayer (albeit it might be used in a Godslayer run in the future), but that is not how it has been advertised either.

Yeah thats basically almost the final nail in the coffin for me, cos one of the reasons I liked the build, is that it did not run pets and the rotation was easy.

The only reason I have been considering a pet build, is more for [snip] n giggles than actually wanting a pet build. I just know that the Easy Sorc is no longer a build I am so comfortable with, aesthetically or conceptually, even if it does still work (even without the pet, which I refuse to slot).

And thanks for letting me know you dropped 2 Lightning UI staffs, gee thanks! lol.

[Edit for minor profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_Bill on November 26, 2019 12:39AM
  • Eso101rus
    Eso101rus
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah thats basically almost the final nail in the coffin for me, cos one of the reasons I liked the build, is that it did not run pets and the rotation was easy.

The only reason I have been considering a pet build, is more for sh*ts n giggles than actually wanting a pet build. I just know that the Easy Sorc is no longer a build I am so comfortable with, aesthetically or conceptually, even if it does still work (even without the pet, which I refuse to slot).

And thanks for letting me know you dropped 2 Lightning UI staffs, gee thanks! lol.

Just tank random dungeons when Arx is pledge, it will drop😉
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just tank random dungeons when Arx is pledge, it will drop😉

Dude, Ive run Arx Corinium well in excess of 100 times, probably closer to 200 times. No UI Lightning staff has dropped.

This is one of the main reasons I have drifted away from the build, despite actually really liking it.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don’t *need* UI to make a good heavy attack sorc.

I have an undaunted infiltrator set but I don’t use it often. My sorc’s usual setup is more of an old school mother’s sorrow (or nma) plus infallible aether heavy attack pet sorc. Other heavy attack sorc setups are available. Some of them are pretty good.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong on all accounts. If i build a heavy attack build it would be a dk. If i build a sorc heavy attack build it would be pet sorc. If i build a non pet heavy attack sorc it would run new moon acolyte and julianos or mechanical acuity or a small chance of PFG. I would even consider lokestis before chosing UI.

Because you know. I am talking about a heavy attack Sorc. Heavy attacks. Same rotation. It is just that hmm, people like you that come here to dismiss opinions against the build scream that we dont talk about the same thing, well, we don't, since obviously i talked about heavy attack sorcs, while you talked about and i quote, "this high intensity FGD + MS build on my nightblade"

Edit: and if you think that my opinion doesn't matter, my over 70 days on heavy attack pet sorc while enjoying dlc dungeons would like to say hi.

Edit 2: and for your knowledge, ms lightning infused staff is a quest reward. 10 minutes quest (including loading screens) so "cheeper than MS one" is out of the window
    Edited by zvavi on November 25, 2019 5:40PM
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong on all accounts. If i build a heavy attack build it would be a dk. If i build a sorc heavy attack build it would be pet sorc. If i build a non pet heavy attack sorc it would run new moon acolyte and julianos or mechanical acuity or a small chance of PFG. I would even consider lokestis before chosing UI.

Because you know. I am talking about a heavy attack Sorc. Heavy attacks. Same rotation. It is just that hmm, people like you that come here to dismiss opinions against the build scream that we dont talk about the same thing, well, we don't, since obviously i talked about heavy attack sorcs, while you talked about and i quote, "this high intensity FGD + MS build on my nightblade"

Edit: and if you think that my opinion doesn't matter, my over 70 days on heavy attack pet sorc while enjoying dlc dungeons would like to say hi.

You know that you two are actually agreeing with each other about the whole nb thing, yeah?
    If you're sitting there going, "yeah, but I can run this high intensity FGD + MS build on my nightblade that puts out a ton of damage," congrats. You're not the person this build was designed for.
This discussion has been closed.