The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Which houses have you NOT bought and why?

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A large fraction of the houses are damaged and decrepit.

A large fraction of them are dark.

A large fraction of them have icky mottled walls and/or sickly yellowish windows.

A large fraction of them look like lousy places to live because there aren't really any rooms, just hallways that might have enough room for not-very-private beds.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought Earthtear cavern as it is not time limited and I can come back to it later.
    I went to preview it yesterday again and I swear it has changed a little. In the part where the furnished version has the bed, above there used to be space to build up over the area I swear. It looks like it got filled in with rocks. Am I remembering it wrong? I swear I planned on building up there.
    Edited by TheImperfect on November 14, 2019 10:39AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A large fraction of them have icky mottled walls and/or sickly yellowish windows.

A large fraction of them look like lousy places to live because there aren't really any rooms, just hallways that might have enough room for not-very-private beds.

These are all problems that have kept me from buying many homes and, especially the poor layout you speak of, is what keeps me from being satisfied with almost all the homes I do have. It's obvious that whoever is creating these things has never looked at a real home's blueprint nor done any study of historical dwellings. While I realize that no castle is going to have all the rooms an actual castle would the way they are laid out is still extremely nonsensical. Maybe the housing dev team should spend some time playing The Sims.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't bought any homes that are crown-only, because I don't want to spend real money on them. Yes, I spend real money on the game itself and the subscription, but that is for things I see and use all time.

Besides, they give you so many free homes just for playing that it just doesn't seem necessary.

I have bought:

Cliffshade: Nice little starter home in a nice area. But then I wanted a yard so I bought

Old Mistveil Manor: and found I enjoy decorating the outside much more than the inside (though it is completely furnished now). It's also in a zone I find pleasant.

Coven Cottage: to decorate for Halloween.

Snugpod: purely for teleport convenience.

I think that's it.
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Besides a scattering of inn rooms, I have: Twin Arches. (And the free Summerset mansion). So I have not bought: everything except Twin Arches.

Reason: While I -love- the housing system, I hate the prices. I pay for ESO plus both because I simply wouldn't play without the crafting bag and because I have a long standing vow to support the games my friends work on if I have any interest in the game at all. But I play ESO casually and seldom enough not to be able to join in the trading economy, so I don't make much gold compared to house prices, and I won't spend cash on the game beyond the sub. Add in that I did make a one time exception to get some extra crowns to get Twin Arches with full intention to set it up as my Redguard's home and then found myself never getting around to actually shifting all the furnishings around to my dream design and I realized that I'd truly be wasting my money buying homes I never did anything with.

I love seeing the video tours of creative house design posted in these forums, and I occasionally add more customization to the Summerset villa, but ESO offered complete freedom of item placement then made the houses and items cost so much in cash/gold/mats as to be prohibitive for me. I still hold it up as the almost-got-it-exactly-right MMO housing model when other games toy with implementing player housing, but this just isn't the game that gets my wallet open.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    I haven't bought Earthtear cavern as it is not time limited and I can come back to it later.
    I went to preview it yesterday again and I swear it has changed a little. In the part where the furnished version has the bed, above there used to be space to build up over the area I swear. It looks like it got filled in with rocks. Am I remembering it wrong? I swear I planned on building up there.

I got the unfurnished house about a year ago. Is the area where the bed is located up the steps on either side of the waterfalls and then up the next short steps in the back center? I can’t remember for sure but that’s where I put the bedroom too. That’s pretty much all that’s up there.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most that cost crowns. Crown Store exclsive houses are way too expensive and not worth that amount of crowns, especially not when they are purely decorative.

Other than those, then the base game altmer houses along with the 3 faction mansions such as Daggerfall Overlook.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Initially I only cared about shoving all my storage boxes into the same house so I bought one that fit that criteria.
    And I bought Sleek Creek because it gave easy access to an Outlaw's Refuge with no guards in between.
    Then I bought the ugly witch house during Witches because it was "limited edition", sort of.
    I got apartments free for owning various expansions (the inn rooms).

The rest -- if it doesn't add any utility I already have, not gonna buy it unless it's special in some way.
    And I am deliberately avoiding this because something I use is the return-to-starting-point mechanic.

For example, suppose I am out in the wilderness and I don't want to wayshrine back somewhere to use crafting stations for decon.
    What I can do is port to someone's house that has crafting stations, then relog. Let's suppose this house is Princely Dawnlight.
    If I also own Princely Dawnlight, when I relog I would be in my Princely Dawnlight house.
    BUT, if I DID NOT own Princely Dawnlight, relogging would put me conveniently back at my departure point.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on November 16, 2019 5:17AM
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »

I got the unfurnished house about a year ago. Is the area where the bed is located up the steps on either side of the waterfalls and then up the next short steps in the back center? I can’t remember for sure but that’s where I put the bedroom too. That’s pretty much all that’s up there.

Yeah that is where I meant. I mean high above there up near the top, I remember it being more open, not as many rocks.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I agree, although (with the exception of very poor layout) it is often possible to work around/obscure most of it.

I tend to cover Breton windows, for example, as I don't like them very much.

Also, good lighting can make a big difference - it doesn't just light the darkness, it can also change the colour the walls appear to be/make them seem less dirty, in some cases.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I own every house that can be bought with in game gold, simply because I had to use my gold for something.

I have never bought any Crown store houses.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will single out one of the homes I haven't bought in particular: Hakkvild's High Hall.

I have no plans to ever get this home. I think it CAN work as a guild hall, but it has a few too many design flaws for my liking. It uses the interior of the Windhelm/Riften mages' guild as the interior of the min building, rather than something like the Jarl's Manor in Fort Amol, or at least the Windhelm/Riften fighters' guild. This results in what is technically a two-room house with an awkwardly-placed door too the second floor balcony that is NOT CONNECTED, leaving half the balcony normally inaccessible. Sure, it has a tomb. But it doesn't make up for the bad house design.

This is biggest gripe that I have head with housing; interior designs that make sense. Using the right interiors, making sure they look right, not having any awkwardly-placed doors or doorways, making a manor actually feel like a manor, etcetera. Sometimes, it feels like interior takes a backseat for exterior, and there are many questionaablee design choices regarding interiors in ESO housing. Princely Dawnlight Palace, for example, would've been better f it used the interior of Sulima Mansion in my opinion, and Jode's Embrace (coming out later this month) has an inaccessible balcony and technically only a four-room interior.

Many homes overall have me scratching my head when looking at the interior. I'vee watched enough HGTV to know what works and what doesn't.
    HHH is simply my biggest example of this. Even though he's pretty good at running NXT.
    (That last part was a joke.)
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought any of the crown only houses. Considering moon-sugar meadow, though. I have no issues with lucky cat landing but also no real interest in it since there isnt a real yard.

Main reason I don't buy crown store only houses is they are too... special and niche. Enchanted snow globe is just hideous with the whole, snowglobe aspect. I like the house itself but anytime in the yard it's just. Ugly snow globe. Alot are too extravagant for my taste and with the price point I'm not going to take something that I like only one aspect of any hate the rest. I like the boat in aldmeri colossal grotto but I hate the actual grotto. Grand topal hideaway has the active volcano that just seems like a hazard considering it's a small island and an active volcano. Most are too big to decorate so again paying that much for a house that has too many downsides and then really limited on how much you can put in it. Doesn't seem worth it at all to me. I have nothing against those kinds of houses existing but that sort of stuff seems to be the majority of what comes out. crown only and gimmicky.

As for houses bought with gold, I don't buy anything over 30K that doesn't have a yard. And most of the houses that do have yards have too much cobble stone path ways all over the place. There's bad house structures with open floor plans, And houses that are 3+ mil that have too much space for the item limit. And not enough structure in the house with different rooms. It's just one big box.
  • LaughingGremlin
    LaughingGremlin
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason not to buy homes for crowns are the bugs. In the Hall of the Lunar Champion, if I go to the Lion's Cradle room all of the enchanted lights stop working. I get similar bugs with The Grand Psijic Villa. These are free homes so I can't *** too much, but why would I pay $100 or so for a pixel home with bugs in it. I'm curious if you do buy a home with bugs can you return it for your crowns back?
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought Autumn's Gate(First place) and Old Mistveil Manor(Main and fully furnished now). I have a very narrow taste wnen it comes to most things in this, and most, game.Here's a small list of what I thought about/would have bought: I did not bu Hakvild's High Hall because the layout of the Hall it'self. I did not buy Grymharth's Woe because it's Old Mistveil Manor without the courtyard(wish the latter was in the snow). I did not buy the snowglobe one because although it was finally a whole property in the snow in Eastmarch, it's Imperial. And finally I did not buy Hunter's Glade because I cannot justify spending that much money on Housing in this game while the functionality of Housing it'self is very limited.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    I did NOT buy the medium Clockwork City house, simply because it does not exist. But I would if it existed.

I bought several other homes, such as Mournoth Keep and the Snow Globe, and I'm waiting for a crown sale to buy the Lucky Cat Landing. My only disappointment with the latter, is the absence of a supplemental interior space, such as a celler or an additional room.

I bought a couple of smaller homes, for the convenience of free jumps to specific locations.

A must for me to buy a home is the vicinity of a wayshrine.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To those saying they won’t spend real life money on houses - well I chose to do so as I thoroughly enjoy this aspect of the game, and I save my crowns from subbing and buy judiciously.

Have quite a few notable houses bought with crowns - Erstwhile, Dawnlight, Aldmeri Grotto & my fav at the moment, Moonsugar Meadow. (Though Sleek Creek is my base)

Also have quite a few smaller houses, some bought with crowns, some with gold, some won in guild competitions.

The ones I would never buy are big ones like Hagvids, the Wrothgar one, the Clockwork one or Frostvault. Or Wraithstone, Ebonheart thingy & Daggerfall one. Do not like the style or layout & do not feel inspired when looking around as to what could do with the places.

I would like more medium sized houses, rather than massive geographic ones. And ones that can be bought for in-game gold.
    Edited by Hallothiel on November 21, 2019 12:39PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll focus on the homes I didn't purchase due to some issues or frustrations. While there are many more that I didn't buy, I don't want to list the ones where the reasoning was just 'meh, I'm not really interested enough to spend money on it' :smile: The reasons are probably still subjective, but I think some things could have just objectively been better.

1) Enchanted Snow Globe Home: It's too gimmicky. Would I have bought a snowy house (that finally isn't a giant open mountainside like Pariah's Pinnacle)? Hell yes, I've wanted a nice snowy home in Skyrim for a long time! Would I have bought a Lighthouse home? Yes, I like Imperial architecture and there are some nice builds we could have made with that. Would I have bought a dedicated Christmas-themed house? Probably. But would I buy a Christmas-themed Imperial Lighthouse that's stuck in a magic mini Snow Globe inside a giant tent and is also Crowns only I might add? Hell no.

2) Hakkvild's High Hall: I was actually looking for a large Nord style house for my Nord Companion's Hall build, but had to go for Old Mistveil in the end. The main issue was the inaccessable balcony. Why could they not add another door that leads to that side? The main building also had no rooms - could have had a basement or some internal division other than just one huge room, and the entrance took you to the crypts rather than the main gate of the house which would have been much nicer.

3) Lakemire Xanmeer Manor: Another example where I was actively looking for an Argonian home. I was going to buy this but then I saw the issues. The ruined interior that mostly consisted of corridors, only having two small rooms with awkward assymetric and ruined layouts plus that giant hall that was impossible to light with even the brightest chandeliers. As beautiful as the underwater windows were, I couldn't justify paying that many Crowns for a house wich would always be imperfect in my eyes... so I went with Ald Velothi instead, and bought it with gold. Guess I got a better deal after all. :tongue:

4) Tel Galen: Telvanni home? Yes please. Mage Tower? Yes please. Walls that look like the lining and content of a bloated corpse's cancerous bowels? No thanks. I think the Telvanni mushroom textures and colours in ESO were a tad unfortunate.

5) Frostvault Chasm: This annoys me so much. :disappointed: I would have loved a Dwemer home (finally)! But instead we get an icy snowy cave house. The icy white Dwemer interior does not match any of the grey stone and shiny brass Dwemer furniture. How is there a constant layer of ice on the house but not on the furniture? So frustrating. The layout of the house was also quite odd, and the interior was filled with ice crystals for no apparent reason. Instead of going with the theme of the dungeon, they should have gone with a proper Dwemer design that would have matched the Dwemer architecture and furnishing style we know and love.

6) Moon-Sugar Meadow, Lucky Cat Landing, Potentate's Retreat: This year was simply over-saturated with Elsweyr houses that were just the same thing with slight variations. We don't need five wood and stone cat houses in the same year that all have the same style. Especially not since we got the Hall of the Lunar Champion which already included everything - so the overlap and repetition in this year's houses was insane. As a result, I only bought 1 of the new houses this year, so I think dedicating so many house releases to a single style was a total waste.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    There are a number of houses I wouldn't buy. In some cases I see little reason to buy anything other than the cheapest house if there are 2 - 3 in the same vicinity. It is odd that there are large zones with a few houses all clustered in one area but none in other areas.

Wrothgar is one very large zone that could have a few more houses. I got the Pariah's Pinnacle free as a part of the last New Life Festival but I can't see using it. It would be a decent guild hall but there's not much around it and no close by wayshrines.

In most cases I've bought houses for their accessibility to some town or region. It helps with getting lower level alts to places where they don't yet know the wayshrine and help my main get around without needing to find a nearby washrine or pay gold to teleport. In other cases I might just like the house or have design on furnishing one someday. I have bought a few time-limited houses like the Linchal Grand Manor, the Topal Hideaway and the Snow Globe home.

In many cases I've bought houses with the Crowns I get from ESO+ and a few I've bought with gold. My primary is the Sleek Creek house, close to an outlaws refuge, traders, daily writ pickup and drop-off. I have a banker and merchant at the house, all of the crafting stations, I keep all of the storage containers there and hang up all of my dungeon trophies.

Like others have mentioned many houses where there should be activity nearby feel dead but there's little you could do about that. It's the nature of instancing, although they could fake it with a few NPCs outside the house. So if I looked towards town I might see a few NPCs milling about, or see some hostile fishing near my creek.
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    6) Moon-Sugar Meadow, Lucky Cat Landing, Potentate's Retreat: This year was simply over-saturated with Elsweyr houses that were just the same thing with slight variations. We don't need five wood and stone cat houses in the same year that all have the same style. Especially not since we got the Hall of the Lunar Champion which already included everything - so the overlap and repetition in this year's houses was insane. As a result, I only bought 1 of the new houses this year, so I think dedicating so many house releases to a single style was a total waste.

We've had a year of exploring Elsweyr, what else did you expect their housing focus to be? Each Elsweyr house them has been very different in look and feel... Lunar Hall and Moon Sugar Meadow have been empty canvases. Lucky Cat Landing is run down and edgy. Jode's Embrace is sleek Elsweyr style perfection with a portal to a different plane. Potentate's Retreat is an Imperial / Khajiit Hybrid. In addition we got a Daedric / Vampire House in Wraithhome, a Dwemer house in Frost Vault. There has been a decent variety. If you want to blame anything it could be the new strategy of DLC + Chapter in the same setting that's at fault and caused a lack of new furnishings.

I'll give you this though, if you like Elsweyr you had a feast this year - but if you didn't it was a famine. That in essence made it very polarising if you were gonna splurge on houses or not.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sporvan wrote: »
    We've had a year of exploring Elsweyr, what else did you expect their housing focus to be? Each Elsweyr house them has been very different in look and feel... Lunar Hall and Moon Sugar Meadow have been empty canvases. Lucky Cat Landing is run down and edgy. Jode's Embrace is sleek Elsweyr style perfection with a portal to a different plane. Potentate's Retreat is an Imperial / Khajiit Hybrid. In addition we got a Daedric / Vampire House in Wraithhome, a Dwemer house in Frost Vault. There has been a decent variety. If you want to blame anything it could be the new strategy of DLC + Chapter in the same setting that's at fault and caused a lack of new furnishings.
    Erm...No. During Morrowind's and Summerset's Chapter cycles, we didn't spend 3 ouf ot 4 quarters of the year on the same style. They never did that before so I certainly don't think we needed to 'expect' that they'd take the lazy approach to housing as well. Especially when there are plenty of styles that have 0 or only 1 house dedicated to them (Ayleid, Dwemer, Murkmire reed style, Clockwork, etc).

Nothing forced them to dedicate house releases to cats throughout 3/4ths of the year. They released the Thieves Guild inspired P.D.Palace and the Dark Brotherhood inspired Erstwhile Sancuary in Q1 of 2018 which had nothing to do with the current DLC. They could have easily added unique houses this year too instead of slight variations on the same thing.

Because let's be honest, the houses definitely did not have a 'decent variety' :tongue:. You want to see 'decent variety' check out Morrowind's Amaya Lake Lodge (Hlaalu style), Ald Velothi Harbor House (Bug-house style), Tel Galen (Telvanni mushroom house style), Saint Delyn Penthouse (Vivec canton-style). Those designs (all from a single Chapter I might add) have far more variety in them than Elsweyr-Scalebreaker-Dragonhold combined. That year also gave us the Observatory Prior and Pariah's Pinnacle. So there, that's a decent variety. This is not:

- Elsweyr wood: Sugar Bowl Suite, Hall of the Lunar Champion (3rd wing), Lucky Cat Landing, Jode's Embrace.
    - Elsweyr stone: Hall of the Lunar Champion (base hall), Hall of the Lunar Champion (2nd wing), Jode's Embrace (Plane of Jode area), Potentate's Retreat (which also has two wood rooms but I didn't want to repeat it, the list is already bad enough).
    - Elsweyr free-build: Hall of the Lunar Champion (1st wing), Moon-Sugar Meadow.
    And that's on top of the base game Khajiiti houses (Moonmirth, Sleek Creek, Dawnshadow, Serenity Falls).
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erm...No. During Morrowind's and Summerset's Chapter cycles, we didn't spend 3 ouf ot 4 quarters of the year on the same style. They never did that before so I certainly don't think we needed to 'expect' that they'd take the lazy approach to housing as well. Especially when there are plenty of styles that have 0 or only 1 house dedicated to them (Ayleid, Dwemer, Murkmire reed style, Clockwork, etc).

Morrowind wasn't a Chapter and DLC dedicated to one setting... It wasn't the entire year... Clockwork city was an entirely different setting. Understand??

My whole point remains true:

We've had a year of exploring Elsweyr, what else did you expect their housing focus to be?
    - Elsweyr wood: Sugar Bowl Suite, Hall of the Lunar Champion (3rd wing), Lucky Cat Landing, Jode's Embrace.
    - Elsweyr stone: Hall of the Lunar Champion (base hall), Hall of the Lunar Champion (2nd wing), Jode's Embrace (Plane of Jode area), Potentate's Retreat (which also has two wood rooms but I didn't want to repeat it, the list is already bad enough).
    And that's on top of the base game Khajiiti houses (Moonmirth, Sleek Creek, Dawnshadow, Serenity Falls).

For heaven's sakes. You're focusing on building materials? Really? The buildings are entirely different and functionally different as well. Look I'm not going to get into a futile argument with you, but this seems particularly persnickety.

Like I said before, ZOS did fine with the Elsweyr housing options. They were magnificent in fact.. but I'll caveat that with IF you like the styles of Elsweyr. I'll freely acknowledge they aren't everyone's tastes so if you didn't like the style you were locked into a year of cat homes. ;-) For those of us that do it was a treasure trove of beautiful homes with different purposes and functionalities. Your argument that they didn't have enough variety is bogus. You just didn't like the style of Elsweyr.

• bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind wasn't a Chapter and DLC dedicated to one setting... It wasn't the entire year... Clockwork city was an entirely different setting. Understand??

We've had a year of exploring Elsweyr, what else did you expect their housing focus to be?
    No need to type 'Understand??' at me when you missed my counterargument - so your point does not 'remain true'.

1) I pointed out that 'current DLC' and 'current house releases' do not have to be determininistic. Did we have a Hew's Bane or Gold Coast DLC in Q1 2018? No. But they still released the Princely Dawnlight Palace and Erstwhile Sanctuary because they were unique homes and fulfilled a niche that no house covered so far. Did we have an Orsinium DLC in Q4 of 2017? No. But they still released Pariah's Pinnacle during the CWC DLC.

2) Even when their DLCs took place in a unique zone, and brought unique architecture with them, they still didn't release two houses in the same style. Murkmire had the stone architecture and the reed-style homes, but we still only got a giant Xanmeer. Clockwork City is absolutely unique, but we still only got one house. Hew's Bane has the blue tiled palace style and the muddy harbor houses, but we still only got one house, and only in the fancy style. Arteum has unique Psijic architecture but we have no penthouse there - despite the many portals that exist in the tower.

3) So the what-else-would-they-have-done insinuation of your 'what did you expect?' complaint is wrong for that reason. There was no reason to expect that literally 6 out of 9 of this year's houses would be the same Elsweyr style. They often released unique houses that have nothing to do with the current DLC, so there was nothing to suggest they'd only copy paste cat stuff for the rest of the year. Especially when previous DLCs had far more varied styles than Elsweyr-Scalebreaker-Dragonhold and still only got 1 house per style.
    For heaven's sakes. You're focusing on building materials? Really? The buildings are entirely different and functionally different as well. Look I'm not going to get into a futile argument with you, but this seems particularly persnickety.

Like I said before, ZOS did fine with the Elsweyr housing options. They were magnificent in fact.. but I'll caveat that with IF you like the styles of Elsweyr. I'll freely acknowledge they aren't everyone's tastes so if you didn't like the style you were locked into a year of cat homes. ;-) For those of us that do it was a treasure trove of beautiful homes with different purposes and functionalities. Your argument that they didn't have enough variety is bogus. You just didn't like the style of Elsweyr.
    So you think that Daggerfall Overlook is not a Breton house because it's made of stone? Or that Gardner House isn't a Breton style either because part of it is stone masonry and part of it is the normal Breton timber+plaster? :smiley: Come on. They're all Breton homes, just like the 6 houses this year were all the same Elsweyr style.

I brought up the material because we could make the case that the 'stone Elsweyr' and 'wood Elsweyr' styles are different. The same way we could consider Hlaalu Dunmer and Tevanni Dunmer to be different, or Xanmeer Murkmire and Reed Murkmire to be different. I was doing you a favor by differenciating Elsweyr homes by stone/wood, because if I didn't it would be even more apparent how there was very little variety. Especially when far more diverse styles only got 1 house each. Hlaalu, Bughouse, Telvanni, and Vivec architecture (Morrowind) is far more different than anything in N+S Elsweyr yet there's only 1 of each.

So it has literally nothing to do whether someone likes Elsweyr's style or not. I like the Imperial style, but I'd still complain if they released 6 Imperial homes one after another, and wouldn't claim that the house releases were in fact magnificent and they did a good job. You can't look at that and say that there was 'decent variety'. That's objectively wrong.
    nde1tq8nwu9x.png
    Edit: Thought I'd add it in case the picture isn't obvious at first glance (and with so much copy-pasting why would it be) - the images are from Sugar Bowl Suite, Lucky Cat Landing upstairs, Lucky Cat Landing downstairs, Potentate's Retreat, Jode's Embrace, and Hall of the Lunar Champion. So much for the 'decent variety'. :neutral:
    Edited by bluebird on November 22, 2019 7:00PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I quite liked the style, but was less happy with the execution.

I found the overly pared back layout of all the homes disappointing, with the exception of the Meadow (for obvious reasons!)

I was disappointed that there wasn't a larger wooden house, in the same layout as one of the inns and I didn't really enjoy the crumbling nature of the Hall walls and the buzzing laser.

That, to me, isn't really suited to a home, or business, environment - although, I know people have made it work. :smile:

Yes, you can ignore the central hall and build in one of the other areas, but you still have to land in the central hall and then travel through a portal to get to your chosen area and then back again, to leave the house via the door.

The mould in the (once again, badly laid-out and overly pared back) Lucky Cat's Landing isn't really ideal, either.

If you're not really into building, in this game - just furnishing - you've been kind of out of luck all year, with the exception of the inn room.

As virtually every home has required an element of building, to one extent or another.

Sporvan is, also, correct in saying that sticking to the same style all year is unusual.

As I say, it didn't bother me personally, from that point of view, but I can see why it would be an added annoyance to anyone who didn't like the style.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    To those saying they won’t spend real life money on houses - well I chose to do so as I thoroughly enjoy this aspect of the game, and I save my crowns from subbing and buy judiciously.

Have quite a few notable houses bought with crowns - Erstwhile, Dawnlight, Aldmeri Grotto & my fav at the moment, Moonsugar Meadow. (Though Sleek Creek is my base)

Also have quite a few smaller houses, some bought with crowns, some with gold, some won in guild competitions.

The ones I would never buy are big ones like Hagvids, the Wrothgar one, the Clockwork one or Frostvault. Or Wraithstone, Ebonheart thingy & Daggerfall one. Do not like the style or layout & do not feel inspired when looking around as to what could do with the places.

I would like more medium sized houses, rather than massive geographic ones. And ones that can be bought for in-game gold.

I wonder if, when people say they want more medium homes, they really mean what the game classes as "Medium" (which is actually pretty small), or whether they really just mean not huge?

I'd prefer more Large, but with Manor sized furnishing slot allowances, rather than Medium, personally.

Think Alinor Townhouse (but with a basement), or Hunding's type size, but with a 700 limit, rather than 600.

Edited by Tigerseye on November 25, 2019 10:13AM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The crown store exclusive ones, with the exception of Linchal Grand Manor, for obvious reasons - they cost RL money (crowns). I did buy the manor with subscription crowns because it's by far one of the nicer homes, but since I don't buy crowns independently, I wouldn't get any of the other. Since they didn't make home available as gifts, so I could buy them trough crown exchanges, I will buy at most one a year using the subscription allowance. I have bought all houses available for in game gold though.
    Edited by Asardes on November 25, 2019 3:08PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I bought Daggerfall Overlook because I love the classic castle feel. My only complaint is it is impossible to light the interior properly. I have so many lights and it's a black hole for all the lighting.

I also bought Linchal to make a hostel for all the races, each garden section features decour from difference racial zones, and the barn house has been made into a hostel with the three sections decorated for the three factions. The main house remains an Imperial manor as it is a meeting place for peace and delegations. This is the only home I bought furnished because Imperial decorations cannot be crafted.

I also have Goronir Estate, Ald Velothi, and a few other smaller homes, but I kinda burnt out on decorating as it takes forever to farm mats and I will not buy what I can craft. I may get the Elsweyr meadow at some point as I can just buy the trees with in game gold, and I really want Hakvalds because of the Dragon mound (Pure Skyrim baby) but I'm waiting to see how game balancing goes in the next year before I invest as I'm still smarting over the year of yoyo balance swings and nerfs. I love housing, but I want to play a game too.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for thread derailment and baiting, content that is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Minyassa wrote: »

Enchanted Snow Globe Home: The view outside the globe. Yuck. No thanks. Would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if it was someplace outdoors, or like...not in a snowglobe.

You make a ton of excellent points in your post and thank you for being so through! I did just want to point out that if you use one of the EHT skies on the snowglobe home they completely obliterate the ridiculous snowglobe sky and then just look like a regular sky. Once that's done it's an adorable place. I like this night sky a lot for a very stark look:

sg36s1c.png

And this is another EHT sky I use at Linchal to give the place a foreboding look:

ngIUgDU.png

So, just some ideas!

Thank you for pointing this out! I hadn't started using EHT when the Snowglobe house came out, and I have messed with it a little bit now and played with some skydomes the other day and they look way better than I expected. I think I might have a snowy home for my frost warden next time this comes out and I can just cover up that unsightly view. :D

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Enchanted Snow Globe Home: The view outside the globe. Yuck. No thanks. Would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if it was someplace outdoors, or like...not in a snowglobe.

You make a ton of excellent points in your post and thank you for being so through! I did just want to point out that if you use one of the EHT skies on the snowglobe home they completely obliterate the ridiculous snowglobe sky and then just look like a regular sky. Once that's done it's an adorable place. I like this night sky a lot for a very stark look:

sg36s1c.png

And this is another EHT sky I use at Linchal to give the place a foreboding look:

ngIUgDU.png

So, just some ideas!

Thank you for pointing this out! I hadn't started using EHT when the Snowglobe house came out, and I have messed with it a little bit now and played with some skydomes the other day and they look way better than I expected. I think I might have a snowy home for my frost warden next time this comes out and I can just cover up that unsightly view. :D

Always glad to extol the virtues of EHT so I'm glad you like it!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!