The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Which houses have you NOT bought and why?

• TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP says as if we buy the majority of the houses in game vs 1 or 2 that we like
  • Alexsae
    Alexsae
    ✭✭✭
    There are many, many houses I haven't bought. However, the one I did buy that I regret the most is The Erstwhile Sanctuary. I had hoped to make a wonderfully atmospheric library. All those built in shelves were unusable for reading books. :-( I'm glad I bought it on sale, because it currently sits as my gloomy little storage bin.

As to why I don't buy houses, it's usually for one of these reasons: Too much rubble and broken things. Bad location. Weird layout.
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    @SantieClaws "There needs to be much open and outdoor space - dark enclosed interiors do not work well for this one - give her an island or a meadow or something like that yes and she is happiest."

I agree with this 100%.

I wish it were possible to trade in property as I regret purchasing some of mine.
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't bought and won't buy Hundings Palatial Hall. I dislike the Redguard style of buildings. The small one isn't sooo bad, as you can hide it better, though.
    I didn't and won't buy most of the crown only houses, just because they are too big and too expensive. Exception is the Hunter's Glade, because of it's style and the werewolf thing it has going (Hircine being my favourite Daedric Prince). I am thinking about getting the Snow Globe home once it becomes available again, but I am unsure about that.
    Most of the biggest homes I didn't buy so far and probably won't ever buy, the 3+M houses, because one, I don't know what to do with them and two, because they are too expensive for my liking while being too big for the slot cap.
    Mathiisen I don't like because of the style as well, but I can't place my finger onto why exactly.
    And I dislike most of the houses without any form of exterior, except Grymharth's Woe.
    Metal forever \m/
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The expensive crown only ones because they are expensive crown only.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Long time ago, I bought the Topal Island. Saved up crowns and stuff. It was gonna be one of a kind collectors like place.

Then I realized I really do t do housing.

I have the free inn room at the rosy lion.

And just recently accidentally Bought the inn room in Alinor. It was a traveling mistake. Thaught I was looking in menu to get out of the place. And Boom. Now I have an apartment room in Alinor.

Thinking about buying the witches Coven place during this event. Just because, for the novelty.

The witches coven house is, imo, one of the best space to item ratio house in the game. I absolutely recommend buying it.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    The witches coven house is, imo, one of the best space to item ratio house in the game. I absolutely recommend buying it.

Seconded. I even ran the achievement on another acct so I could get a second one to decorate differently. That house and the way it could be acquired was one of the best housing decisions they made.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

Seconded. I even ran the achievement on another acct so I could get a second one to decorate differently. That house and the way it could be acquired was one of the best housing decisions they made.

Which is what made the Snow Globe such a disappointment. Housing enthusiasts were waiting for a New Life Festival home to acquire in a similar way as the Cottage - only to be given a crowns-only lighthouse in a snow globe.

I've not bought any Crowns-only homes except Tel Galen and Frostvault. I'll be purchasing Lucky Cat once it's available on XB.

Some homes I haven't bought because I don't really like the style - Orc, Khajiit, Argonian, Wood Elf - though I have all the small homes available with in-game gold, regardless of racial style. The only medium I don't have is Mournoth. Some mediums, like Sleek Creek, I only bought because of the location or the access it gave me to a particular zone.

There are a few large homes I do want but haven't been purchased yet because I have homes that still aren't decorated, and I don't want to spend any more gold until I've gotten the ones I do have done.

I won't ever buy the ginormous homes at 12k+ crowns - they're just too large and expensive for me. Tel Galen was the upper limit for me, in terms of size and price. I haven't even done much with the free Villa, since it's just so large and interior lighting is an issue.

I appreciate that they've begun to offer us medium homes, even if crown only. I hope that trend continues, though I hope they keep in mind our concerns about item limit and provide slightly smaller mediums that can be better decorated within the limit.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amaya Lake Lodge. Bought, then returned it. It's pretty, and VV is nice, but I don't utilize interiors really, I mostly just care about a big enough yard, a place for crafting stations and my chests, and that's about it. Also, it had no pool.
  • Skorro
    Skorro
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the crown exclusive ones, because.... Poor 😊
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only purchased one notable home, and thats the one in falk since it was for gold.

I have one home in vvardenfel, the mid sized one, and the witches hut- cus I got it for gold.

As well as all the free inn room style ones.

Again, all the houses I have, are for gold or achievements + gold.
    Because I do not wish to pay crowns at all for a game I am already subscribed for.
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long time ago, I bought the Topal Island. Saved up crowns and stuff. It was gonna be one of a kind collectors like place.

And just recently accidentally Bought the inn room in Alinor. It was a traveling mistake. Thaught I was looking in menu to get out of the place. And Boom. Now I have an apartment room in Alinor.

Thinking about buying the witches Coven place during this event. Just because, for the novelty.

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought the cottage this cycle and have been working on reversing the exorcism. Every time I look the slot count I can't believe how many I still have available for use. I think I'm going to run out of undercroft and undercroft like furnishings before I run out of slots.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ive bought the grand topal and the snow globe with crowns from subbing. I own a few gold houses. I wont pay the price ZOS wants for the other crown homes. That is ridiculous and i am by no means a poor person. Also the furnishing slots needs increased on small homes about 50%, medium homes 100% , large homes 200%, and notables as they have gotten insanely large, about 500%.

For crown homes at current crown prices id pay a max of 3k crowns for a notable IF it had more space and significantly less for other homes. ZOS values their pixels far more than i do.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree. I bought the cottage this cycle and have been working on reversing the exorcism. Every time I look the slot count I can't believe how many I still have available for use. I think I'm going to run out of undercroft and undercroft like furnishings before I run out of slots.

When you finish, post it! I'd love to see. That sounds interesting.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never purchased any of the limited-time crown-only houses because I personally think they are overpriced and I'd prefer to not have some rich suit cackling into his cavier whilst rubbing his hands in glee because of me.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever had Strident Springs, I like it, but now I'm seeing no space for even the statuettes. I hate the thought of redoing my crafting area, but if Jode's Embrace gets released, I'd probably purchase that, if it has more slots.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only purchased house is the Flaming Nix Deluxe Garret in Mournhold. It is not ideal, but it is close to services. My only decorated house is Saint Delyn "Penthouse" (not an accurate name), but that is a free house.

I never consider the Crown only ones. They might as well not exist.

Because of loading screens, I really want places that directly open into an exterior space. I don't want to load into some interior space, traverse that space, then load into the exterior. That does not cross off a lot of houses.

Places I have considered:

Snugpod Location is good, but it is too small. I don't travel to Elden Root enough to make it worth my time as a wayshrine. I also don't like the idea of trying to decorate the inside of a ball.

Gardner House A little far from crafting, and traders, but wayshrine is close enough. I almost bought this one, but did not because this house shows where ZOS tech fails. The house is in the middle of town, but because ZOS has to use a separate world for the houses, it might as well not be. Something should be going on outside the walls. Instead, the surrounding town looks abandoned. The house outside areas are faux. They are just inside areas.

After that, I realized I wanted a realistic outside area, and so I stopped looking for housing. The technology that ZOS is using for their game has not yet caught up with my expectations for a house. That basically ended up with a thumbs down for all other similar candidates.

Cyrodiilic Jungle House Good location relative to a wayshrine, but familiar outdoor issue

Old Mistveil Manor This house should not exist.

Mournoth Keep Good access to wayshrine, but it is in the sticks of a zone with little relevance.

Sleek Creek A little far away from things, and I don't spend any time in Rawl.

Anything in Rivenspire... environment too depressing.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vorpan
    Vorpan
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy any houses that can only be purchased with crowns.

I haven't bought all the ones you can get with gold yet, but I plan to eventually. I like having at least one home in each zone. It's handy when no one in any of my guilds is where I need to go, when on a lowbie getting skyshards or doing the time rifts.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't bought most of the non time limited ones that are notable because I know I can get them later. I'd love moon sugar meadow and earthtear cavern in particular. I haven't got the smallest khajit house because after sleek Creek it's not that necessary and it's location isn't one that's used often.
  • Langdon64
    Langdon64
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grand Psyjic Villa. It's one I wanted to use for an arboretum until I saw how low-handed Zos was about asking an enormous amount of money for a house that was given away for free.
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A waste of money
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SantieClaws "There needs to be much open and outdoor space - dark enclosed interiors do not work well for this one - give her an island or a meadow or something like that yes and she is happiest."

I agree with this 100%.

I wish it were possible to trade in property as I regret purchasing some of mine.

I did once get them to refund my crowns when I bought Hakkvild's and discovered that there was just no way I could turn it into an actual home and that made its MANY flaws something I could no longer overlook. That was quite awhile ago but you should still put in a ticket. Be polite but make sure you list every little thing that's wrong with the place for you. After all, even if they refund your crowns they still have your money. THAT you ain't gettin' back. LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This one will only buy a property if she has a very clear idea of what she will do with it and how she will do it - the existing furnishings limit this too, for example it is hard to make a fabulous bakery when the only cakes we have are sweetrolls.

Yeah.

I still don't understand why they haven't converted the Anniversary Cakes (without stands, or with separate stands) into furnishings, when they already have the models for them.

Surely they would be perfect provisioning furnishing recipes?
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 4, 2019 9:12PM
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old Mistveil Manor This house should not exist.
    Why exactly?

As for the Op question there is a lot i would still buy but lack funds so the ones i wont buy...
    Barbed Hook Private Room-This can count for all homes in the high elf style outside of summerset i dislike the look it doesnt feel grand enougth for the Altmer.

Humblemud- I dislike the style id much prefer the murkmire style for Argonians than the strange pod homes.

Snugpod - same as one above

Enchanted Snow Globe Home- i dont like the gimick of it being in a globe id prefer it if it was out in the open.

Coldharbour Surreal Estate- really dont like the dim colour of coldharbor

Hakkvild's High Hall- This one almost hurts the most as everything is perfect apart from the interior of the home i really dont like the round room and that basically it but its enough to make me pass hard on it.

Grand Psijic Villa I really really want this home but i think its appauling that a once free home is now 15k crowns, i mean when elswyer is over will the lunar hall be the same, its just wrong and despite my deep desire to own such a building i will never ever buy it.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What homes did I not buy and why? Every home that is crown store exclusive. Not because I'd have to buy crowns to purchase it, but because of how many crowns I'd have to buy. I will not spend $50+ on a digital house.

I also don't buy homes with no outdoor space. Now that I've accumulated enough gold and income to go beyond the basic inn rooms and one room homes, it has to have outdoor space. That I can walk and put things in, not just see from a balcony or roof.

But I don'tlike Gornir Estate or Humblemud because the style isn't appealing. I'm not a creative builder who can make a place look completely different. I tend to take the existing space and furnish it like I live there. Little round single room pods don't appeal to me.
    Edited by LadySinflower on November 5, 2019 7:58PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault Chasm: Just don't like it. It's tiny, and while the view is interesting, I don't have any particular role-playing points that it strikes home with, or toons that it fits. Cold but unnatural.

Lucky Cat Landing: Gross burned view that I would have to use a lot of furnishing slots to cover up. Otherwise cute, but since it's a crowns-only one, not worth the cost.

Enchanted Snow Globe Home: The view outside the globe. Yuck. No thanks. Would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if it was someplace outdoors, or like...not in a snowglobe.

Tel Galen: Reminds me of images I've seen of the inside of intestinal tracts. That might be fun if it didn't cost crowns. I only do frivolous for gold.

Elinhir Private Arena: Didn't look like it really has any space for comfortable living, and I don't need an arena.

The Observatory Prior: Costs too much for a novelty home. I have a toon who it would suit very well, but it's just too expensive and I don't want it that badly.

Pariah's Pinnacle: It's pretty far down on my priority list. I want it, but it's expensive, and again...crowns only. Orcish architecture doesn't make my heart sing.

The Erstwhile Sanctuary: I don't own this because it's godsawful expensive. I loved it, but I also love electricity and food.

Earthtear Cavern: I want this very badly. I don't own it because I swore an oath that I won't buy it until ZOS expands decorator privileges to allow those with that privilege setting to place furnishings, so that my friend and I can decorate our married toons' place TOGETHER without having to be online at the same time and passing stuff back and forth. That's important to me.

Linchal Grand Manor: Imperial style feels rather sterile to me, and for as much large empty space is there, I didn't feel that I could decorate it to my taste within the furnishing limit. It costs too much for me to get anyway to experiment with.

Wraithhome: Pretty, but too expensive for a novelty home that I'd just be experimenting with.

Lakemire Xanmeer Manor: I saved up for this one, basing my savings on pre-existing crown store homes. It wasn't enough, and I couldn't afford it. That made me angry, so screw this one. Unless they have a crown sale and then release this for a sale price I'm snubbing it for being *stupid* expensive.

Colossal Aldmeri Grotto: Too much non-removable junk. I hate ruins that can't be removed or moved. It looks sloppy. If I moved into a place like that IRL, I would have crews in there getting rid of the unsightly debris before I even moved in.

Grand Topal Hideaway: I'm not fond of the stick construction. I would snap this island up if it didn't have the pre-built house and paths on it.

Moonmirth House: No exterior space. I'll probably get it eventually but I prioritize homes with yards, aside from the free stuff or things I needed for a 'port into zones.

Captain Margaux's Place: No exterior space.

Bouldertree Refuge: Just don't really like Bosmer architecture, it's too cartoonish for my taste.

The Ample Domicile: I already have one home that looks like a snowman someone made out of dung. I don't need a bigger one.

Domus Phrasticus: Just haven't gotten to this one yet, but I will. I like it.

House of the Silent Magnifico: No exterior space.

Sleek Creek House: Too run-down and in ill-repair. Again, if I were to buy a home IRL that was in this shape I'd have to do extensive repairs before moving in. With this one, that's not an option. Shameful.

Stay-Moist Mansion: An even bigger dung-ball. I can smell it just looking at it. No.

The Gorinir Estate: More Bosmer architecture. Just not feelin' it.

Old Mistveil Manor: Haven't gotten to it yet. I'm not fond of snow so I don't prioritize the cold ones.

Mathiisen Manor: I don't make gold quickly and the notables that are available for gold will take me a while to collect. This one is third on my priority list.

Quondam Indorilia: Fourth on my priority list of gold notables. It doesn't excite me.

Dawnshadow: Another run-down old Khajiiti home. Needs paint, grout, makes me sad to look at it.

Amaya Lake Lodge: I don't really love Vvardenfell so I'll look at getting this one much, much later, it doesn't excite me. I did buy the other one *expressly* for the little movable outbuilding it has in it...most expensive furnishing I've ever bought. xD

Serenity Falls Estate: I'll eventually get this one but it's yet another run-down-looking Khajiiti estate, and I'm not keen on the layout of the main house, it's kind of weird. Has some cruddy spots I don't like.

Daggerfall Overlook Just haven't saved up enough yet, this one's second on my gold notables list.

Ebonheart Chateau I'll be buying this one next, I just had other stuff to work on before Halloween.

Hakkvild's High Hall So there's this gallery space and an upper floor in the main building for this one that you CAN'T REACH. Are you kidding me? Ugh!! To heck with that, no. Invisible walls *** me off.
  • YaYaPineapple
    YaYaPineapple
    ✭✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    i mean when elswyer is over will the lunar hall be the same, its just wrong and despite my deep desire to own such a building i will never ever buy it.

The Hall of the Lunar Champion manor sized house is NOT limited time. Everyone can get it and open the first wing by doing the Elsweyr zone main story quest. The second wing is opened by a tablet you acquire by completing Moongrave Fane and Lair of Maarselok dungeons on normal. The third wing is opened by doing the quests in Southern Elsweyr.

• kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaisernick wrote: »
    i mean when elswyer is over will the lunar hall be the same, its just wrong and despite my deep desire to own such a building i will never ever buy it.

The Hall of the Lunar Champion manor sized house is NOT limited time. Everyone can get it and open the first wing by doing the Elsweyr zone main story quest. The second wing is opened by a tablet you acquire by completing Moongrave Fane and Lair of Maarselok dungeons on normal. The third wing is opened by doing the quests in Southern Elsweyr.

I know how it works, i just dont trust it wont eventually disapear for new players down the line and return a few years later on the store.
    Edited by kaisernick on November 6, 2019 12:50AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »

Enchanted Snow Globe Home: The view outside the globe. Yuck. No thanks. Would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if it was someplace outdoors, or like...not in a snowglobe.

You make a ton of excellent points in your post and thank you for being so through! I did just want to point out that if you use one of the EHT skies on the snowglobe home they completely obliterate the ridiculous snowglobe sky and then just look like a regular sky. Once that's done it's an adorable place. I like this night sky a lot for a very stark look:

sg36s1c.png

And this is another EHT sky I use at Linchal to give the place a foreboding look:

ngIUgDU.png

So, just some ideas!

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last purchase was Topal Hideaway (first round). I have psjic villa which I got for free in the event as my main and just rearrange it for contest.
    None of the houses have really appealed to me other than Jodes and Potentate but those are behind a huge paywall. I'm hoarding my crowns for next year's reveals hopeing it's skyrim to get some nordic style homes that aren't imo ugly.
    I have the following as storage for when I actually buy something new:
    Kragenhome
    Cyrodyilc jungle
    mathisen manor
    topal hideaway
    hall of lunar champion