Pay to Win/No Pay for a good looking pet that actually does something!

Torment
Torment
✭✭✭
Forgive me, But zozs helps us in upgrading our inventory within a really good looking pet that actually does something within the game for a change, its no different than upgrading you bank space but with a difference its a PET and the whole forums are ranting on Elder Scrolls going Pay to win don't you all have anything better to rant about, I mean the pet actually does smoothing instead of just running after you, If you don't want to buy it then don't have the extra inventory Simple ........
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply cannot understand why having more inventory through a pet is classed P2W.
    To win something, there must have been competition of that something.

Last time checked there was no competition on who has most inventory.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let them rant. People will always find things to complain about.

No one is upping their DPS or survivability due to this.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s a butt-ugly pig tho
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly are you winning at?

Is Tamriel no longer at war? Has this pig vanquished Molag Bol? Is the way to win at ESO simply by carrying the most items in between mindlessly killing dolmen monsters with 57 other people?
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone stopped to ask why they're adding any sort of stats to a non-combat pet that can only be purchased through the cash shop? The bank upgrades and bag upgrades can be earned in game with gold. This pet cannot.

How do you not recognize this as a community litmus test?

"They're ok with this, sales were really good! What other stats can we add to these pets to make them more appealing to impulse shoppers?"

"How's about some health bonuses or crit chance? That's going to get us some sales!"

And BAM! Before you know it: "crafting materials upgrade components drop rates have been reduced by half, but check out our crafting supply Crown Crates that we just added the Crown Store!".
    Edited by srfrogg23 on November 11, 2019 6:26PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, there’s a good-looking pet with utility? :tongue::lol: I’ve always found pigs rather ugly but I’m happy for people to like any animals. :)

On the topic of ESO pets, I would rather they remain cosmetic only and that most be relatively small to keep banks and crafting areas from becoming too much a crowded zoo. I also think it hard to say that the pet does anything though when you don’t have to have it equipped to get the bonus — rather it’s a server-wide inventory boost plus a pet. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I think the whole is it or isn’t it P2W argument is unnecessary though. It doesn’t really fit an MMORPG with so many goals and just because something doesn’t have leaderboards doesn’t mean that it isn’t a goal or even something there’s a degree of competition in. I would like to see more ways of obtaining things in game, including cosmetics, utility, QoL, etc., especially for those already paying for ESO+. Everything doesn’t have to be obtainable in all ways, but I find the increase in Crown-only and worse, Gem-only, items disappointing.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 5 more bag slots and that helped me finally beat VMA. Thanks, ZOS!

Idiots on this forum, I swear. ZOS has done plenty wrong, so if you're going to complain about them at least be honest.
    Edited by svartorn on November 11, 2019 6:49PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    It’s a butt-ugly pig tho

This.

Finally looked at the thing in the store, wow that's awful.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was another thread really necessary?
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a butt-ugly pig tho

This.

Finally looked at the thing in the store, wow that's awful.

False, all pigs are beautiful.

Especially the older and crustier ones. <3

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it’s a litmus test so I can finally get the quadruple sized elephant mount I’ve been requesting for 5 years.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »

"They're ok with this, sales were really good! What other stats can we add to these pets to make them more appealing to impulse shoppers?"

"How's about some health bonuses or crit chance? That's going to get us some sales!"

And BAM! Before you know it: "crafting materials upgrade components drop rates have been reduced by half, but check out our crafting supply Crown Crates that we just added the Crown Store!".

gpSCdae.png

signing off
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slippery slope is all these losers have in their garbage P2W arguments.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »

gpSCdae.png

Slow clap.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    Slippery slope is all these losers have in their garbage P2W arguments.

Cats and dogs sleeping together!
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, you only need to OWN the pig for the extra slots to be applied. You do not need to EQUIP the pig.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

gpSCdae.png

Hey, as long as you're ok with it. I've been watching the evolution of ESO's monetization model for a good long while now. I can only say that they have been inching closer and closer to scummier and scummier cash shop tactics since going B2P.

Keep defending it, though. By the time they push passed your tolerance level, it will be too late 😉
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

gpSCdae.png

Hey, as long as you're ok with it. I've been watching the evolution of ESO's monetization model for a good long while now. I can only say that they have been inching closer and closer to scummier and scummier cash shop tactics since going B2P.

Keep defending it, though. By the time they push passed your tolerance level, it will be too late 😉

First, the pets will increase our inventory! Soon, ZOS will force everyone to have gender reassignment surgery and marry their pets!

You people are hilariously stupid.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you struggled with space before the pig, you'll struggle after buying the pig.
    Edited by D0PAMINE on November 11, 2019 7:47PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Let them rant. People will always find things to complain about.

No one is upping their DPS or survivability due to this.

Exactly. Pretty much people know that the pet does not make you a stronger player.
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest wtf of it is these same people never seem to cry foul at the craft bag... or the increased bank space from ESO+. Way more inventory. Way more convenience... but it's this 5-slot pet that's going too far/p2w.

Wat.
    You can't be fine with one and throwing a fit at the other without looking really silly.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a butt-ugly pig tho

source.gif
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a pet that just auto harvest crating materials as I walk by them.
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭

gpSCdae.png

It stops being a logical fallacy when we’ve been observing the decline for years now
  • sentientomega
    sentientomega
    ✭✭✭
    Remember, you don't actually need the pet active to get the extra inventory spaces.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueShark wrote: »
    My biggest wtf of it is these same people never seem to cry foul at the craft bag... or the increased bank space from ESO+. Way more inventory. Way more convenience... but it's this 5-slot pet that's going too far/p2w.

Wat.
    You can't be fine with one and throwing a fit at the other without looking really silly.

Many games have subs and I (and I assume most of these other people) view ESO+ as just the cost to play the game. F2P is an optional lite version or trial.

I should also say that I don’t think P2W is entirely relevant to an MMORPG as topping the leaderboards or whatever is far from everyone’s goal. Either way, I don’t think this pig is P2W, rather less so than the banker and merchant assistants IMHO. I am not bothered by it so except in the context of new houses only ever being available for Crowns, ridiculously expensive outfit slots, and increasingly expensive and Gem exclusive cosmetic items. I do feel that more should be obtainable in game when you already pay for ESO+ or a DLC. Optional extras and shortcuts you pay extra for are fine, IMHO, as long as there is a balance and I don’t feel I need to pay my sub and regularly buy a lot extra from the Crown store in order to play and enjoy the game how I want. Again, the pig by itself is no big deal I think, but for me and I think many others it is worrying in a broader context.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stops being a logical fallacy when we’ve been observing the decline for years now

But you haven't observed anything. And you pulled the same slippery slope fallacy in another thread.

It's also clearly a test to see how the community reacts to stat bonuses on cosmetics. Unfortunately, it seems like they're being defended so the trend will continue into bigger bonuses. I imagine mounts faster than the established cap will appear soon. After that probably 50 weapon and spell damage on a costume, 5% damage mitigation, etc etc. "But those tiny bonuses won't let someone win" so inevitably some people will still defend it as "Not P2W"

Edited by Acrolas on November 11, 2019 8:28PM
    signing off
  • RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    RogueShark wrote: »

Wat.

Many games have subs and I (and I assume most of these other people) view ESO+ as just the cost to play the game. F2P is an optional lite version or trial.

I should also say that I don’t think P2W is entirely relevant to an MMORPG as topping the leaderboards or whatever is far from everyone’s goal. Either way, I don’t think this pig is P2W, rather less so than the banker and merchant assistants IMHO. I am not bothered by it so except in the context of new houses only ever being available for Crowns, ridiculously expensive outfit slots, and increasingly expensive and Gem exclusive cosmetic items. I do feel that more should be obtainable in game when you already pay for ESO+ or a DLC. Optional extras and shortcuts you pay extra for are fine, IMHO, as long as there is a balance and I don’t feel I need to pay my sub and regularly buy a lot extra from the Crown store in order to play and enjoy the game how I want. Again, the pig by itself is no big deal I think, but for me and I think many others it is worrying in a broader context.

Yeah, that's my point. I don't think the pet is a big deal. It doesn't win you anything, and it's not any different from the massive amount of increased inventory you get from being ESO+. You can't earn a craft bag or bonus bank space any other way except for paying for it via a sub. It's more or less the same thing, except it's extra inventory space for a single-time payment versus paying every month.

It's a little outrageous to look at the pig and then go on a tangent about how 'Next thing we know, they'll be giving you stat boosts in the crown store!' We've had access to huge inventory increase/convenience from ESO+ for years. It doesn't mean they're going to turn around and start offering actual stat upgrades next. Not sure where or why that leap of logic is coming from for so many people.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply cannot understand why having more inventory through a pet is classed P2W.
    To win something, there must have been competition of that something.

Last time checked there was no competition on who has most inventory.

Hmm.. that's subjective though what is considered "competition". P2W seems more appropriately classed as something that cannot be attained by means of earnable content through the game itself. If a player is only has one option, and that is to pay for a QOL feature they want, it is exactly the definition of P2W. You are unlocking a feature that is otherwise not attainable other than monetized features. It still is advantageous regardless if it's "competitive" in nature or not. If it's going to be on the Crown Store, it should be in the game too, especially in the case of poorly (and intentionally) implemented features such as inventory. Just another monetization scheme for ZoS, it's sad that so many can't see it.

It's also rather interesting to watch the game play the players instead of the other way around :D
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see it as pay to win at all. It's the equivalent of buying 5 inventory slots. You cab increase your inventory slots at in-game vendors, or you can buy slots with in-game gold using a resource such as Tamriel Crown Exchange. The only difference is you get a cute pet. And can we talk about all the cute please?! <3
    Edited by mayasunrising on November 12, 2019 12:02AM
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez