The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Backpacks / rucksacks now broken

Nutta
Nutta
✭✭
Backpacks now appear looted, despite containing loot. Seen this at multiple locations / areas.

Only case I came across where this isn't happening was for a backpack containing stolen items.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a trick that the people of Tamriel have come up with to keep their stuff from being stolen.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Nutta wrote: »
    Backpacks now appear looted, despite containing loot. Seen this at multiple locations / areas.

Only case I came across where this isn't happening was for a backpack containing stolen items.

What zone are you in where you're seeing this?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Zath
    Zath
    ✭✭✭

Seeing it in Southern Elsweyr Not all open backpacks have loot and not all backpacks are open, but I also noticed that a number of open packs did contain loot

• Zath
    Zath
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of an open backpack that contains loot just inside the entrance of Zazaradi's Quarry and Mine jh0rcb8xoupe.png
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Got it, thank you! We've figured out the issue and will work on getting it fixed.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • BennyButton
    BennyButton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got it, thank you! We've figured out the issue and will work on getting it fixed.

Was this issue something that could've been caught on PTS?
  • Nutta
    Nutta
    ✭✭
    Cheers for

Cheers !

I've since seen this also for backpacks containing stoles items, such as the one near the bankers in the crafting area of Vivec City
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    yup, all the backpack lost their flap since last patch !
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m struggling to understand how backpacks can suddenly be broken.

Did someone, instead of implementing code reuse and calling the same standard code for backpacks (that is used for all other regions) when they write their code, reinvented the wheel and wrote their own new code for backpacks in southern Elsweyr only and messed it up?

Also, regression testing.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I’m completely baffled here.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone, instead of implementing code reuse and calling the same standard code for backpacks (that is used for all other regions) when they write their code, reinvented the wheel and wrote their own new code for backpacks in southern Elsweyr only and messed it up?

There can be a lot of reasons. As simple as it sounds for a backpack to be open when looted, but closed when it contains something, a lot of things come together for that to work right. If any of those things glitch, then the outcome would be that feature does not work properly.

Regression? You bet'cha. Given the relative stature of this issue, the real question is whether anyone was looking for it. Someone asked if this could have been detected on PTS, and the answer is yes, it probably could have been. That brings up the question of when this was introduced. If it was in 5.2.4, or earlier, how many thousands of players did not notice it? Maybe it was noticed, but not reported. It does not sound, from what Gina said, that it was reported but not prioritized for a fix before release.

• dagrdagaz_5912
    dagrdagaz_5912
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed just now, in several of my houses, that the 'Common Pack, Satchel' furnishing item also has an open flap.

Edited by dagrdagaz_5912 on October 25, 2019 11:32PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There can be a lot of reasons. As simple as it sounds for a backpack to be open when looted, but closed when it contains something, a lot of things come together for that to work right. If any of those things glitch, then the outcome would be that feature does not work properly.

Regression? You bet'cha. Given the relative stature of this issue, the real question is whether anyone was looking for it. Someone asked if this could have been detected on PTS, and the answer is yes, it probably could have been. That brings up the question of when this was introduced. If it was in 5.2.4, or earlier, how many thousands of players did not notice it? Maybe it was noticed, but not reported. It does not sound, from what Gina said, that it was reported but not prioritized for a fix before release.

What I read above was that backpacks are not working correctly in souther Elsweyr and they appear to be working correctly everywhere else for me. Has anyone found a case where they are not working correctly in other areas? Or did the new dlc break backpacks in all areas?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I read above was that backpacks are not working correctly in souther Elsweyr and they appear to be working correctly everywhere else for me. Has anyone found a case where they are not working correctly in other areas? Or did the new dlc break backpacks in all areas?

I cannot speak for you, but in all zones I have encountered backpacks (mainly Northern Elsweyr and Vvardenfell this week), they have been bugged. There may be some in the game that are not bugged, but I do not recall seeing any. Weekend is when I do all treasure and survey maps, and so I may find some unbugged ones as I do that.

It is a little strange because as soon as I see the open backpack it leaves my mind because I no longer care about it. This bug makes me have to stop and think. I have probably passed quite a few of them without even checking them. This is why I question whether anyone was looking for it. This bug could have been on PTS from 5.2.0 and nobody noticed.

Update: Before maintenance, I encountered open, lootable, backpacks across the game. This happened in Vvardenfell, Bangkorai, and Gold Coast. I encountered one (1) closed, lootable, backpack in Bangkorai. This leads me to believe that, for whatever reason, there are multiple backpacks in the game, and only some of them are bugged.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 26, 2019 3:00PM
  • AliRay
    AliRay
    ✭✭✭
    qtvj5x0c47x9.png

Can confirm..Southern Elseweyr
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh thank god!

This has been bothering me longer than actually trying to play the game itself!

#onlybeen4days

PC EU
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t really look at the flap.

It looks Ike it still shows a prompt to interact with them instead of saying “empty”, correct? It looks different there than on PS4 so I just want to clarify.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• ShellaSunshine
    ShellaSunshine
    ✭✭✭
    Nutta wrote: »

Vivec City near the banker has a broken backpack as well
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This patch, they finally fixed the bug with the inventory animation of players without ESO+. This bug has been around for at least a couple of years, and the fixed animation uses a bag model with this flap turned back. So I think the bug in this thread is somehow related to the fix for that longstanding bug.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    This patch, they finally fixed the bug with the inventory animation of players without ESO+. This bug has been around for at least a couple of years, and the fixed animation uses a bag model with this flap turned back. So I think the bug in this thread is somehow related to the fix for that longstanding bug.

When you say “this patch” are you referring to the Dragonhold patch that is currently only on PC/Mac?

That might explain why I am not seeing this on PS4.

I know you PC guys forget that not everyone is on the same page as you.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say “this patch” are you referring to the Dragonhold patch that is currently only on PC/Mac?

This is a thread describing something that started appearing this past Monday, when Update 24 went live, so while people are not explicitly stating that this is an Update 24 issue, it's implicit.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is a thread describing something that started appearing this past Monday, when Update 24 went live, so while people are not explicitly stating that this is an Update 24 issue, it's implicit.

Yeah that makes sense now. I don’t keep up with PC update dates and I thought Dragonhold dlc was still on the PTS.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get this fixed, please?!
    It's awful!
    Now there's no way of telling just by looking if a backpack contains anything.
    Mlwfbsv.png

Can we please get an ETA (or a guesstimation) on when this should be fixed?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been seeing this in dungeons too. The last one was vFV. There was no discernible pattern either. Some appeared opened, some appeared closed, and either one was just as likely to actually contain loot or not.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, now that I’ve seen it I know what you are talking about.

It’s not all backpacks, strangely enough. I’ve seen some that had the flap correctly too.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    You see what happened was npc's got tired of us players looting their bags so they decided to make it look like someone already robbed them they are becoming self aware
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two different backpacks, one called backpack, the other called satchel, difference is that one of them has a strap on the back, the other doesn't. Decorating, i found only one of them to have this issue while the other still looks closed, now I forgot which was what though :D
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the Imperial City, AD base, and the backpacks look like that also
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ZOS_GinaBruno , I know this is not a huge performance issue, but it's been more than a month and we've had several patch updates already.... so can you please prod the repair team to get this fixed sometime soon?
    thanks.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still not patched?
  • czkevin36
    czkevin36
    The backpack error is still not fixed. How long do you need a year, two or perhaps three to repair?