Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS killed my DragonKnight

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
Four+ years playing this game and I've never had cause to complain about the many and various combat changes that have had other players gnashing their teeth -- until now. I wouldn't be complaining even now if the changes were minor -- but ZOS, you've nerfed my Dragon Knight character right out of existence!

He's not my main character, which explains why it took me so long to build him up, and perhaps so long to notice what's been done. Four years building this character up, and I'd only just reached the point where I felt safe walking into a Public Dungeon. I should stress that I don't do PVP at all, and I don't do groups. I'm strictly a solo PVE player... and with a few keystrokes, you guys turned my Dragon Knight from my strongest character back into the scrawny kid on the beach getting sand kicked in his face.

Bosses that gave me no trouble now kill me with impunity. Hell fire, even the stupid OVERLAND ANIMALS are gloating at how easy it is to kick my Dragon Knight around now. As for venturing into a Public Dungeon -- that's right out now. Again.

God damn it, if it ain't broken DON'T FIX IT!!!!! I understand there's a new team and I also know from experience that when new people come into a corporate situation they feel like they have to make a bunch of changes just to justify their existence. But this is ridiculous -- you don't just waltz in and strip away so much of a character's strengths that he becomes a complete feeb.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those overland monsters are pretty fierce.
  • Kartharax
    Kartharax
    Soul Shriven
    If you would post your build, CP allocation, whether you're stam or mag it would greatly help as to why you feel underwhelmed in PvE overland zones. DKs (I main StamDK PVP) are still in a fairly good spot and you shouldn't be having trouble with overland/public dungeon content if you've got multiple years of experience under your belt as you claim.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not such a hardcore player that I pay much attention to "builds" per se (not being a PVP player at all) and when I allocate points its just to whatever area seems to need the most attention at the time. I can tell you that, like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both. It's an approach that's always worked for me in the past: when Magicka is running low, he'll start throwing Stamina abilities and vice versa. One of the big selling points of ESO has always been "your character your way," and so my Sorcerers tend to be half sorcerer and half fighter, while my fighters (mainly my dragonknight) always have some Magic about them.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    Those overland monsters are pretty fierce.

Hoo boy, don't annoy the freakin' mudcrabs, man.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are dying in overworld pve? What?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not such a hardcore player that I pay much attention to "builds" per se (not being a PVP player at all) and when I allocate points its just to whatever area seems to need the most attention at the time. I can tell you that, like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both. It's an approach that's always worked for me in the past: when Magicka is running low, he'll start throwing Stamina abilities and vice versa. One of the big selling points of ESO has always been "your character your way," and so my Sorcerers tend to be half sorcerer and half fighter, while my fighters (mainly my dragonknight) always have some Magic about them.

That was how I approached my DK when I first started and it turned out to be extremely sub-optimal with the way damage and healing scales. If you want to play a hybrid, I recommend crafting a set of Pelinals and then investing in either stam or magicka and having a 2set set that compliments that stat. Then it's easy to experiment with crafted foods to buff up your off-stat pools to suit your needs.

Altho if you want to be a bada** melee fighter, pure magicka DK is great for that, and you can use DW or 2H passives to buff your magicka skills. You just won't use the weapon abilities much if at all.

Pelinals: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pelinal's_Aptitude
    Special Recipes: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Special_Recipes
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote="ProfesseurFreder;c-6405241like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both. . [/quote]

found it.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, that was a selling point and it worked just fine in Skyrim. Unfortunately, hybrid characters aren't really optimal in ESO (they're not even really viable for anything but overland PvE).

What specific nerfs do you think "killed" your DK?
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm would you mind posting your build? Maybe we could help you, because dk certainly hasnt been nerfed to the point of not being able to clear solo content.
    Are you using food buffs? It gives you a considerable boost to health and other resources. If you're on PC/EU, I could send you some recipes so that you can craft it yourself.
    Do you have a self-heal? If you're a magicka dk, dragon blood and burning embers help a lot.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sorry but thats your problem. This game just doesnt support Hybrids, even if zos creates a few sets that claim otherwise. When you divvy up your points to Stam and Magick, both suffer. Focusing on one will make you more powerful.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to backwards progression, the combat balance style.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, even if casual for 4 years, you should have an understanding at this point. Why not join a guild and ask for help. You're missing the ABCs from the sound of it
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four+ years playing this game and I've never had cause to complain about the many and various combat changes that have had other players gnashing their teeth -- until now. I wouldn't be complaining even now if the changes were minor -- but ZOS, you've nerfed my Dragon Knight character right out of existence!

He's not my main character, which explains why it took me so long to build him up, and perhaps so long to notice what's been done. Four years building this character up, and I'd only just reached the point where I felt safe walking into a Public Dungeon. I should stress that I don't do PVP at all, and I don't do groups. I'm strictly a solo PVE player... and with a few keystrokes, you guys turned my Dragon Knight from my strongest character back into the scrawny kid on the beach getting sand kicked in his face.

Bosses that gave me no trouble now kill me with impunity. Hell fire, even the stupid OVERLAND ANIMALS are gloating at how easy it is to kick my Dragon Knight around now. As for venturing into a Public Dungeon -- that's right out now. Again.

God damn it, if it ain't broken DON'T FIX IT!!!!! I understand there's a new team and I also know from experience that when new people come into a corporate situation they feel like they have to make a bunch of changes just to justify their existence. But this is ridiculous -- you don't just waltz in and strip away so much of a character's strengths that he becomes a complete feeb.

It took you 4 years to be able to clear base content with a PVE DK?

Stop being hysterical. They havent changed anything with DKs.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This must be a troll. You can sneeze and kill anything in overland combat.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new crafted sets in Dragonhold sound ideal for your characters. They buff both magic and stamina. Check them out if you want to not change your builds.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go all stam or all magicka. Then get decent sets like Hundings or Julianos depending on which you choose. We can help you with your build.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Uh...like some have said, that’s your problem right there. You’re not running a real build. Like at all. I wondered if you MEANT public dungeon when you SAID public dungeon.

You can play how you want but if you choose not to min max your build, you’re just gimping yourself. I can take my pvp MagDk in IMPEN and mop everything in a public dungeon to the point it becomes super boring super fast.

It’s your build dude, not ZOS. Not THIS time...play MagDk or StamDK. Pick one. That’s how it’s done. Trust me you’ll have WAY more fun.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on October 20, 2019 7:33AM
  • tahol10069
    tahol10069
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Lord.

First, hybrids are hard. Everyone and their mother agrees that they are supbar to any build that is purely focused on magica or stamina. I tried one, and I gave up. I still dream of hybrid, put the game just doesn't support it.

Second, you are stubborn and have an adamant belief of being right. If you, after four years, have just now courage to go in a PUBLIC DUNGEON, something is awfully wrong. What, we can't say, because you don't tell your build or you gear, or your CP level.

I'm as casual player as one can be. Yet, I have enough understanding to go and check the meta-builds from Alcast just to see what the meta is, not to follow it but to get a general idea of the class. I might choose many different skills that I just find more enjoyable to use, because high DPS is not my end goal. But I understand that there has to be SOME DPS and SOME survivability. And let's be honest, overland content is really, really easy after 300 CP.

ESO is deceptively simple looking skillwise, but it has actually a lot of depth.

You have developed a game play style that doesn't seem to work. You might want to do at least some studying so that a trash mob won't one shot you.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you that, like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both.

Yeah, that's really not how ESO works.

Never had an issue with my StamDK. She's running 16pts in health, 48pts Stam, 2h Front, Bow Back, with trashy purple gear. I'll have to reconsider her build a little going into the next update simply because Stone Giant might be more useful than it looks, but she's solid.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not such a hardcore player that I pay much attention to "builds" per se... I can tell you that, like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both.

"If you chase two rabbits, both will escape."
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the big selling points of ESO has always been "your character your way," and so my Sorcerers tend to be half sorcerer and half fighter, while my fighters (mainly my dragonknight) always have some Magic about them.

"Play your way," means you're not locked into one specific playstyle. If you want to progress, you're never in a situation where you need to PvP, or you need to run trials.

You can take any role on any class, if you want. If you want to tank on your sorc, you can do that. If you want to DPS on your DK, again, you can do that.

However, this does not mean that you can do whatever you want and have a trivial experience. If you want to run a hybrid build, that is possible, but it is extremely difficult. When you stack a single resource, it's easy to get everything you need to make your DPS work. When you run a hybrid, you'll get barely enough to cover your bases, and even then it'll be painfully tight.

So, you're taking one of the most difficult routes in the game, and then complaining about it because you were told it's possible. Truth is? It is possible, but it's extremely difficult.

Go back, pick a role you want to work with, and stick to it.

If you want to be a mage type, grab light armor and a destro staff (just, not ice).

If you want to be a fighter, grab medium armor and your pick of dual wield, a two hander, or a bow.

If you want to be a heavy armor tank, grab heavy armor, a sword and shield, and a secondary weapon of your choice, get out there and soak up the incoming damage.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    I'm not such a hardcore player that I pay much attention to "builds" per se... I can tell you that, like many of my characters, he is neither Magicka _OR_ Stamina based, but spreads his points out between both.

"If you chase two rabbits, both will escape."

Or, on builds, "if you fail to plan, and you plan to fail."
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, that was a selling point and it worked just fine in Skyrim. Unfortunately, hybrid characters aren't really optimal in ESO (they're not even really viable for anything but overland PvE).

What specific nerfs do you think "killed" your DK?

Hybrids can be good in PvP, but only when you build and play them right, which often involves still stacking into at least weapon or spell damage, and using Pelinal's to bring the other up.

Generally, though, dedicated builds are going to be way more effective for the least effort put into building and playing them.

As far as anything PvE, though, yeah, dedicated all the way.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Errrr..... what exactly did ZOS do to nerf hybrids.......?

I’ve been on the pts, read the notes and as a former meta addict turned casual hybrid fanatic I can’t see anything that’s weakened me. I can still solo most normal dungeons, kill most worldbosses and still feel like an armour plated god in public dungeons. Quest bosses still die to dam fast, the quests I love for the stories are still far to easy. I don’t feel gimped at all. Quite the opposite as now my class buffs give brutality and sorcery saving me a skill slot. Sure the dots have been reigned in but in full try hard mode most of my builds will barely clip 25k so the nerfs make no real difference except perhaps 1.5 k at the top end... so what?

...soooo can someone tell me what’s the issue......

Also these new hybrid sets are great fun, they will never be meta but they suit my needs like a hand in a glove 😎
    Edited by Integral1900 on October 20, 2019 10:04AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Integral1900, they're stronger on the PTS due to NMA. That'll be a freakin' boon to a well configured hybrid build.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Integral1900, they're stronger on the PTS due to NMA. That'll be a freakin' boon to a well configured hybrid build.

Yep, as soon as I saw new moon acolyte I could almost imagine my Warden in her heavy armour, with great sword over her shoulder, grinning contentedly. The extra resource cost is just an excuse to use more juicy heavy attacks... ooooh I love those with their slow wind up and that satisfying crunch/bang 😇
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, as soon as I saw new moon acolyte I could almost imagine my Warden in her heavy armour, with great sword over her shoulder, grinning contentedly. The extra resource cost is just an excuse to use more juicy heavy attacks... ooooh I love those with their slow wind up and that satisfying crunch/bang 😇

NMA + Lich with 2h and another stam weapon will be disgusting.
  • Billdor
    Billdor
    ✭✭✭✭
    and I'd only just reached the point where I felt safe walking into a Public Dungeon.

LOL
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think some of you are being a bit harsh. A player who has been content with overland, not even public dungeons, this long isn't trying to min max. For that content they can absolutely play a hybrid, they just need to build a bit smarter for it.

Unless this is a troll, of course.
  • xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MDk went from top class to trash over esos lifetime so far.