The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ZOS killed my DragonKnight

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Unless this is a troll, of course.

Having looked at their prior posts... I think they're on the level.
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Man, I’m just surprised there is proportionally larger amount of DKs complaining about DKs sucking despite DKs being in a good spot. If you’re having trouble with overland anything.... well you should seek help. A lot of help. If you can’t perform in pvp, don’t worry I heard a lot of other DKs complaining too. DKs complaining is probably the most frequent entertainment on this forum.
  • izanagiprime
    izanagiprime
    ✭✭
    One of the big selling points of ESO has always been "your character your way," and so my Sorcerers tend to be half sorcerer and half fighter, while my fighters (mainly my dragonknight) always have some Magic about them.

This is probably why you're having this issue. It always amuses me to see these kind of threads, "Boohoo, i'm building in a completely inefficient and *** build, but it wont work. I refuse to read, understand and test the mechanics on my own to create a more efficient build, so It's the developers fault for making the game this way! Not mine! Even though i blindly believe everything they say, including that sentence that everyone throws around about being able to do whatever i want although its probably just PR and a gimmick to attract people!"

Disclaimer: They're not exactly wrong about being able to do whatever you want with whatever class and abilities. The difference lies in how effective you can be while doing it. Wanna play some half-assed mage/fighter? sure go ahead. It'll work yeah, but you should probably adjust your expectations first, because youre definitely gonna struggle quite a bit.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are saying the promise to play what you want has held true, he got to play precisely the piece of crap he chose. 🤔
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to help you out, you really do have to play this game the way it is designed to be played, and there is a thriving community of helpful, and knowledgeable players on YouTube. I dont know what changed with DK that would cause this issue other than some dot nerfing, but it's not hopeless. If you're able to take the step into the forums, then take the next step, and look up what other players are doing to expand your ESO knowledge.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the big selling points of ESO has always been "your character your way," and so my Sorcerers tend to be half sorcerer and half fighter, while my fighters (mainly my dragonknight) always have some Magic about them.

As people have stated, hybrid builds dont work in ESO.
    You'll never do high damage in a hybrid build anywhere close to a non hybrid build.

The reason why is that damage is based on your max stamina or magicka.

So you have to pick one and put all the points into that one to get maxed damage potential.
    Then you have to pick armor and weapons that match that stat.
    Light armor and staves for magicka. Dual weild, 2 hand, bows and medium armor for stamina.
    You also have to pick good sets for damage for your attribute.
    Dont forget to add runes as well which should also match your max attribute.
    You can put one health rune on one piece of armor if you need some extra health.
    I recommend 17-19K with food for damage builds.

The only build that can get away with spreading points across attributes are tanks.

Good luck

Beta tester November 2013
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing overland content and Public Dungeons with a hybrid build is easily possible. You just need an actual hybrid build, which means you have to chose sets and skills which synergize well and increase the characters' power, not just randomly assign which seems useful at that moment. You might do that while leveling, but sometimes you should look back at your choices and probably reconsider and re-train to get a more viable character.

Also I wonder how you know that your DK is so weak, when the Dragonhold patch isn't even live yet (servers are down right now for the update). In Scalebreaker the DK was very strong.

Additionally you need to ask yourself why are you going hybrid, so at what point you take which skills/morphs for what reasons or functions. Then you have to consider if you can fullfil that function in other ways which might be better suited.
    Edited by vesselwiththepestle on October 21, 2019 7:27AM
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Additionally you need to ask yourself why are you going hybrid, so at what point you take which skills/morphs for what reasons or functions. Then you have to consider if you can fullfil that function in other ways which might be better suited.

This is to me the real fault in the hybrid idea. There is very little reason to make one. Whatever you can do with a hybrid you can also do with a straight Mag or Sta build. And you won't be limited by a very small selection of usable armor sets.

I have a templar hybrid that works just fine in public dungeons, but I don't enjoy playing it much because I can't experiment with different armor sets like I can with my regular builds. And I find that kindda boring.
    Edited by Everstorm on October 21, 2019 7:41AM
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    I think some of you are being a bit harsh. A player who has been content with overland, not even public dungeons, this long isn't trying to min max. For that content they can absolutely play a hybrid, they just need to build a bit smarter for it.

Unless this is a troll, of course.

I would vote troll.

A player that has 0 insight into how the game actually works, but a small change in a patch (which one?) suddenly made his character obsolete?

Unless we are comparing pre-One Tamriel bosses to post-One Tamriel bosses, nothing should be that different.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the nerf they are referring to is that engulfing flames flame damage bonus is now tied to your mana pool.

I believe I remember a hybrid DK build involving stacking proc sets. Red mountain, Skoria and Viper? (perhaps it was another flame proc set that was magicka based). That you could get 20K dps without doing anything but repeatedly getting the procs to fire (good enough for casual)
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is... surreal...

Overland content kills you?! Really?! Which sets are you using?! Skills?! CP allocation?!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not saying copy meta builds or anything but you gotta think about being a hybrid twice.

Because it just NOT works.
  • CynicK
    CynicK
    ✭✭✭
    Buff, I thought you were already complaining about the nerf on dots and your DK in this patch, mine totaly wrecks in battlegrounds they have been in a very good spot this patch, use food if you are killed by overland mobs, I had an hybrid build at first when I started to play because I did not know any better you have to count that every 1k magica or stamina is like 100 weapon damage and if you spread your stats you are spreading your damage; the new sets will be very good for a build like yours as someone else said.
    I do not know this new patch but last one we were in a very good spot.
  • Att1Tude
    Att1Tude
    ✭✭✭
    This is a serious post :'(
    PC-EU
    How-Much-Is-The-Fish Stamsorc
    A Friend Of Nature Magwarden
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude i can do every freaking Public dungeon with 0 CP and 0 points into any attribute, will be just carried by Gear, wtf is happening here. The content is utterly EZ mode
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.I.P.
  • Frostystuff
    Frostystuff
    ✭✭
    On you tube i would suggest looking at shermans gaming for functional hybrid builds. Another one admittedly for templar but it shows you how to build a hybrid would be the paladin build that nefas made for a fan on his channel.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frostystuff, the issue isn't that hybrids don't exist, it's that they're very difficult to build and run. The OP doesn't understand the fundimentals and are just throwing points wherever they look neat.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the beginning I was just like you, levelling up all skills, allocate points wherever I found most appropriate.
    Alas, ESO does not work that way.

First of all you will have to choose:
    - Will I fight as a warrior with dual wield, bow or 2-hander - then spent all your points in stamina: The higher your stamina, the higher you DPS will be.
    - will I fight as a mage with destruction staff and/or restoration staff - then spent all you points in magicka: The higher you magicka, the harder those skills will hit.
    - As a general rule: all stamina skills scale with stamine, all magicka skills scale with magicka.

Second: Do you use food? Food makes your character a lot stronger and harder to kill.
    For magicka: witchmother brew, for stamina: dubious camoran throne

Third: Do you use 2 sets for the 2x 5 item bonus? Those bonusses are really good.
    For magicka I advice julianos, for stamina I advice hunding's rage - these sets can be crafted.

Fourth: Gold out your weapons: If you want to gold out anything then weapons first.

Fifth: as others have said: Read guides, there are a ton of good guides out (there is even a section for it on the forums).

Sixth: do you animation cancel? That means: light attack before every skill, that makes a huge difference in DPS.

Seventh: how are your champion points allocated?

Eight: Do you use the correct armor?
    - For Staminda DPS: Medium armor (5 pieces at least)
    - For magicka DPS: Light armor (5 pieces at least)

I really think you have a lot of options to improve and get better.

PS: If you are EU, just contact me ingame, and I will help you the best I can....
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly you could probably make a (relatively) optimal hybrid build by using sets like shackle breaker and the new moon acolyte set. Just use tri stat food, hakeijo glyphs and distribute stats evenly. Then depending on race choice I would imagine you would be around 30k stats with okay damage.

There is really no reason you couldn't make a hybrid work for overland content and even some regular dungeons. Just stay away from vet content.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, I play to have fun. I like the story, I like the open world, and life is too freakin' short to spend it obsessively planning a buy-the-numbers "build" that follows someone else's set rules about what you need to do this or that. Life is for DAMN sure too short to spend it reading through the mountains of patch notes issued from on high, and going "OOH! That patch note section 26-stroke-q-stroke-987(a) is going to do terrible things to my obsessively plotted and planned "build" with the hotsy-totsy special armor set."

In all this time of playing, I've never even had a complete special armor set until I got one from killing dragons in Elsewher. Trials? I don't even know where to _find_ most of them, and wouldn't dare stick my nose into one of those places. They'd be mopping up the floor with me in nothing flat.

I don't care about 90% of the things you guys care about. I like questing and following the story and going back to my house after playing for about an hour. I don't do PvP and never will.

All I can tell you is, my DK had finally reached the stage where he was invincible overland and even in Public Dungeons. That was the last time I played him, which was probably a couple of months ago at least. When I went back to him this time, suddenly he wasn't invincible anymore, and was being kicked around by even low-level bosses and packs of tigers and suchlike.

So, I'll just deal with it like I always have.

Sorry I asked -- sorry I mentioned it at all, sorry that I'm not as "serious" a player as the rest of you jamooks, glad I could provide you with a little cheap entertainment.

Pffft.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Philtho
    Philtho
    ✭✭✭
    So what you're saying is the "play the way you want" is not really an option unless you want to die from the mudcrabs.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you didn't ask for help, plenty of people were willing to and already put thought into trying to fix your problem, some even while keeping your hybrid build... No need to be rude to them.

Sorry but if you are truly choosing to ignore half of the ESO gameplay aspects, you are choosing your own difficulty, and you have no business criticizing balancing decisions that are obviously based on people playing the game properly. The fact that you were feeling invincible in any way while choosing to ignore important combat features -- as you have every right to do -- was pure luck and not something you were entitled to. You don't do a 3heart no-gear Zelda run and complain you're getting knocked about and demand your playstyle is buffed to make up for it, yeah?
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you REALLY need to learn a thing or two about how to play the game. But basically you are right. We've seen this many times. Suddenly a class is "too OP" (something they SHOULD easily see even before they do the changes!), so they decide - for whatever reason - to make them literally worthless in response, instead of slightly adjusting things. It's very weird indeed. I can't even come up with a sarcastic metaphor to demonstrate how wrong it is.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Four+ years playing this game and I've never had cause to complain about the many and various combat changes that have had other players gnashing their teeth -- until now. I wouldn't be complaining even now if the changes were minor -- but ZOS, you've nerfed my Dragon Knight character right out of existence!

He's not my main character, which explains why it took me so long to build him up, and perhaps so long to notice what's been done. Four years building this character up, and I'd only just reached the point where I felt safe walking into a Public Dungeon. I should stress that I don't do PVP at all, and I don't do groups. I'm strictly a solo PVE player... and with a few keystrokes, you guys turned my Dragon Knight from my strongest character back into the scrawny kid on the beach getting sand kicked in his face.

Bosses that gave me no trouble now kill me with impunity. Hell fire, even the stupid OVERLAND ANIMALS are gloating at how easy it is to kick my Dragon Knight around now. As for venturing into a Public Dungeon -- that's right out now. Again.

God damn it, if it ain't broken DON'T FIX IT!!!!! I understand there's a new team and I also know from experience that when new people come into a corporate situation they feel like they have to make a bunch of changes just to justify their existence. But this is ridiculous -- you don't just waltz in and strip away so much of a character's strengths that he becomes a complete feeb.

Oooh is the Dragonhold release is ready?????

No?

wait, u talking about Elswyr?

Hoooo boy u not gonna like what's coming....
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

With this thread continuing to go downhill, we're going to go ahead and close it. For further posts please be sure to stay constructive and respectful with the Forum Rules in mind to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for understanding.
  • Vantelli
    Vantelli
    Soul Shriven
    At the end it turns out: not ZOS "killed" his Dragon Knight... He killed him by himself.

I am truly sorry for this experience, but I also play DK since 4+ years now and I am able to adjust my character even as a casual player. This level of ignorance... after complaining here and drawing people willing to help and then being rude like this? Well... I read people here who were pretty kind and offering advice. No need to treat them like this.
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will take this post only as your merely opinion.

Have a good day
    Edited by teladoy on October 21, 2019 2:54PM
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    General overland is most likely balanced towards I would assume 2.5-4K DPS. Public dungoens may be closer to the 4K mark.

Take your character and go to a target dummy if you can beat 2.5-4K DPS then your character is just fine.