The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Add-ons introducing Custom Titles vs Crown Store

• nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone should have same chance to obtain a custom title (via addons)
    If this is the same addon i'm thinking of, the addon author does not allow titles that are identical to real in game titles or titles that would fool someone into thinking they are a GM or something. So, who cares if Jimbob over there wants to be "Jimbob the Mac Daddy"
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one should have a customized title as it is harassing or fooling people around
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    This brings up the issue of WHY it was done this way.

Well, as far as I know and remember, the original author for this custom title changes was @Ayantir (who's since left ESO). He meant to develop it openly for everyone, but first used it among selected friends as a test. He soon drowned in custom title requests and realized he couldn't secure the process, so he gave up. It was however too late : as with anything digital, the file can be spread limitless, and there are quite a few people out there who can tinker with an lua file.

I don't want to be harsh on add-on authors here because they do so much for us, and as think they simply mean it as an insider joke. Now, however, it has become a wider issue. I'm afraid only ZOS (there must be some API entry that allows this and that can be closed) or ESOUI (they can refuse to upload addons with those files embedded) can do something about it. @ZOS_ChipHilseberg ? Opinion, maybe ?

As I said, there's nothing really harmful to it, but the sneaky sneaky method irks a bit.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 16, 2019 11:20PM
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I get 1 add-on for console so I can test my builds. Since nobody really tests on the PTS... 🤤
  • Konstant_Tel_Necris
    Konstant_Tel_Necris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    There is little ways to make credits for addon authors, they do awesome job on improving ESO as game, so if I use an addon that's help me by some way in game I can tolerate wishes of author to include Custom Titles lib into his addon, it is small price for his work.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    - New players might be fooled that a certain individual might be a GM (game master) just because a player show off with a fancy title.

Edit: apparently there is an addon just for titles, too, and the author does not allow titles that break TOS or already exist in game.

THIS

So stop freaking out about people having a title they shouldn't, if they do then its NOT from this addon
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this is all news to me.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one should have a customized title as it is harassing or fooling people around
    I believe there is a name for software that is added to other people's computers without their knowledge and which benefits a third party: malware.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Harassing might be overstating things, TBH, if the library isn't being used to grief a player (can it? I don't know). I'm not sure I can properly call it malware either-- probably more of a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).

That said, it's revolting that some add-on makers stuck this into their add-ons. I just went through a purge on my computer to get rid of the library. The ones that had it included are some pretty major ones a good segment of the PC population that crafts uses. I use Minion to keep everything updated, so I don't comb over each and every library. I just hit the pretty little green button after patch time. I guess I'm going to have to start monitoring the add-on directory after every patch now.

Bloody annoying and sneaky af.

Editing: Nope, the malware assessment is dead-on. Thanks for the clarification in the other thread... I wish I could change my poll answer to harassment now.
    Edited by jainiadral on October 17, 2019 7:57AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Sharee wrote: »
    I believe there is a name for software that is added to other people's computers without their knowledge and which benefits a third party: malware.

I treat the add-on that is the subject of this thread as exactly that. This one is pretty harmless, as these things go, but they do not (did not) offer the option to turn it off in settings. I decided that I want it off, and so I took steps to do exactly that.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I voted other because I don't like the wording for the no. I do not see how a fake title is harassing another player. Titles should be earned though and that is why I also believe they should remain character bound and not account bound.

Tou don't see how a custom title could be harassment?

"Kargen27 Is Butthurt"

That could be a title if you had somebody who was not exactly your friend in PvP.

We don't need self-created titles and political agenda-based titles insulting mmo gameplay..
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    IF you take the time to research the custom title Addon there are very clear and strict requirements to obtain a custom title, You are max +100 CP (Currently 910 CP)
    OR you have over 100 days played on a character
    OR have 22.5k achievement points
    OR you have contributed to the ESO community in a non trivial way. e.g. Streamer, GM of a large guild, Add-on developer, etc.

Titles must conform to certain requiremnts and limitations
    Follow the TOS
    Follow the Code of Conduct rules for account names and character names. This includes, but is not limited to:
    It must be safe for work (2.1)
    Must not be derogatory, offensive, or defamatory towards famous people, nor reference other player's personal info, account names, or character names, or reference copyrighted names or characters. (2.3)
    Not be political (This includes politically charged words, or current political issues)
    Not contain swear words
    Not be available in game (if a previously title becomes available in game it will be removed)

how does any of this equate to harassment or somebody try to fool another player?
    ZOS have allowed the developer of this Addon access to the game code so have no issue with it or the ppl that Qualify for a custom title.
    i sense a touch of greeneye
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you take the time to research the custom title Addon there are very clear and strict requirements to obtain a custom title, You are max +100 CP (Currently 910 CP)
    OR you have over 100 days played on a character
    OR have 22.5k achievement points
    OR you have contributed to the ESO community in a non trivial way. e.g. Streamer, GM of a large guild, Add-on developer, etc.

Titles must conform to certain requiremnts and limitations
    Follow the TOS
    Follow the Code of Conduct rules for account names and character names. This includes, but is not limited to:
    It must be safe for work (2.1)
    Must not be derogatory, offensive, or defamatory towards famous people, nor reference other player's personal info, account names, or character names, or reference copyrighted names or characters. (2.3)
    Not be political (This includes politically charged words, or current political issues)
    Not contain swear words
    Not be available in game (if a previously title becomes available in game it will be removed)

how does any of this equate to harassment or somebody try to fool another player?
    ZOS have allowed the developer of this Addon access to the game code so have no issue with it or the ppl that Qualify for a custom title.
    i sense a touch of greeneye

giphy.gif
    Edited by JamieAubrey on October 17, 2019 11:15AM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    just to add further you can ONLY have oOne custom title and it can ONLY be used on One character. it is not account wide nor can it be used on any other character other than the one you specify when applying
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - New players might be fooled that a certain individual might be a GM (game master) just because a player show off with a fancy title.

Edit: apparently there is an addon just for titles, too, and the author does not allow titles that break TOS or already exist in game.

THIS

So stop freaking out about people having a title they shouldn't, if they do then its NOT from this addon

That doesn't really solve anything, though. The titles still do exist regardless of which addon they come from.

And is there some sort of identifying trait in the title so you can know it came from a specific addon, or is there no way to know without actually asking the person?
    Edited by Donny_Vito on October 17, 2019 11:35AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I mean. 3 problems i have with this poll.
    1. Biased choices.
    2. Biased warding.
    3. The existence of titles you get from quests, and achievements, that has 0. 0 skill ceiling. They are quite nice, and require a bit of questing.
    4. Wait... You want people to be able to buy achievement titles from the crownstore?
    5. The story of the friend that was being showed off titles to didn't make sense to me.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Titles
    Edited by zvavi on October 17, 2019 11:54AM
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. The existence of titles you get from quests, and achievements, that has 0. 0 skill ceiling.

How is this even true? Godslayer, Voice of Reason, The Unchained, Tick-Tock Tormentor, etc... these require skill from your group to get. And yet we will diminish those feats by allowing someone to make up their own. It just doesn't make sense to me, but I suppose that could be a "me" problem.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the custom titles were sold to people for in game gold as a way for add-on makers to get something for their work, almost like rewards from a crowdfunding site. At least that’s the impression I had, and if they are at least mostly used to support add-on authors, I don’t have a problem with that.

If people are using custom titles to appear to have difficult in-game titles that they don’t have otherwise, you can always ask the person to link the achievement instead.
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did read the add-on developers notes and I qualify on pretty much all but one of the requirement. It is not the case tho. If I wanted to apply I would probably even get the chance to obtain a customized title. I already have titles like drom'atha, voice of reason, achievement points, 300+ days played, 1k+ CP.

Lets say I do got myself a really fancy nice rainbow customized title. Wouldn't someone be influenced more if I would lets say invite this person to do something together, thus splitting him or her from his or her friends?
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It will diminish titles we get for the achievements.

Besides that, custom titles will be used to harass/fool/scam people around.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • OneForSorrow
    OneForSorrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I said Other.

Custom titles via store or AddOns is a little eeeh to me. But a way to get one in game as a fun little RP thing? Sure. You could give it a specific color to show it's customized rather than an achievement.
    PC NA. Various alts, trying to find a main, I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Custom titles should be a base game feature and free for anyone who wants to use it. This is supposed to be at least something of an RPG. Let us folks who focus on storytelling and role-playing actually have titles that reflect the characters we are designing. In a heartbeat my artificer would actually HAVE the title of artificer...
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    riots over custom titles. wow.
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the sudden care for this? it was a thing since long. are you jelous or something?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    No for a different reason.

#FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Right because willingly downloading and installing an add-on called CUSTOM TITLES totally makes it malware.

@nordmarian Imagine actually bringing to the attention of ZOS that they should monetize custom titles, they totally need to paywall another feature. Are you actually dense or just trolling?

The majority of the playerbase doesn't even notice the custom titles anyway, since it's tied to one specific addon. If that bothers you so much then just don't install it, jfc.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Custom titles should be a base game feature and free for anyone who wants to use it. This is supposed to be at least something of an RPG. Let us folks who focus on storytelling and role-playing actually have titles that reflect the characters we are designing. In a heartbeat my artificer would actually HAVE the title of artificer...

Completely agree. The vast majority of arguments against the idea assume safeguards won't be apart of it.

It will harass others. - The idea that titles will somehow be used in this manner ignores the fact that nothing is currently stopping players from using their character names to accomplish this. And there is no evidence of this already happening. So this is at best an unfounded concern, and at worst a poorly thought out attempt to argue in bad faith. If there is abuse in such a manner the report button exists for a reason.

It will diminish Titles earned from Achievements - If ZOS is creating the system, its kind of a no brainer that they would place blocks on certain titles that they already have (much in the same way they block certain usernames) or want to use. So players only option to circumvent this by using ZOSs system would be different characters and numbers which will be quite evident to anyone able to observe it that the title is not legit. The prestige of certain titles will not be affected. And really its a video game, maybe go outside if you are stressing in any manner about the prestige of a title earned in a video game.

Titles are earned - A number of titles can be bought through the Crown Store, through carries and through meaningless efforts in game. Outside of ESO no one cares about your titles, hell not everyone in ESO cares about your titles.

I don't want to see your stupid made up titles - Well okay, thats nice but no one really cares. Players can do all sorts of silly things with their characters names and appearance already. So wash your sensitive eyes out with bleach for all I care. Its an MMO so you're going to see plenty of things that are weird, cringy and awkward. But players freedom to do as they please with their characters is a large draw to games like this. But somehow with all of that said its the titles that are just 1 step too far for you?
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    jbjondeaueb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Never saw a GM in-game, neither a true one or a fake one, and for titles, can they really be more toxic than PvP global chat during prime-time ? :smiley:
    Pain-Healer - Argonian Templar Healer (EP) - Immortal Redeemer - Gryphon's Heart
    Guild : Ghosts and Goblins Target Dummies
    Players know me as Jeban
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Heatnix90 I'm simply saying that it might be better if players could obtain custom titles from zos themselves and not through third parties.

If a third party is an addon developper and this person shows up in public it is very easily to influence people around to join his or her group. Also just as easy they can solely abuse of power by splitting people from the chance of raiding together. It wasn't what happened with me and my friend but it was just as close. Abuse of power and influence.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    Why the sudden care for this? it was a thing since long. are you jelous or something?

from the wording of the OP it sounds like someone has applied and been denied therefore it must either be a crown option or banned. but thats just my interpretation :)
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    @Heatnix90 I'm simply saying that it might be better if players could obtain custom titles from zos themselves and not through third parties.

If a third party is an addon developper and this person shows up in public it is very easily to influence people around to join his or her group. Also just as easy they can solely abuse of power by splitting people from the chance of raiding together. It wasn't what happened with me and my friend but it was just as close. Abuse of power and influence.

My understanding is that this add-on follows the rules of TOS and can’t replicate in-game titles, etc. It has nothing to do with whether or not people can raid or anything else together. If someone wants to join a group because someone has created a “God of Raiding” or whatever title for themselves, that is rather silly but their prerogative. If it hadn’t been titles, this hypothetical person might have as quickly left for a group led by someone with a fancier sword. :tongue:

An abuse of power would be if someone changed another’s title without their knowledge and consent or otherwise broke TOS.
    Lets say I do got myself a really fancy nice rainbow customized title. Wouldn't someone be influenced more if I would lets say invite this person to do something together, thus splitting him or her from his or her friends?

Not at all. How does having a bedazzling title tell me that you’ll be someone I would enjoy playing with? And someone who leaves their “friends” for that is doing them a favor (except I highly doubt that has ever happened, even as silly as some people are). ;)

No, I’m a strange person who is enticed to group with people who seem considerate and willing to work with others to accomplish a goal — because that is fun! :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 18, 2019 6:53AM