The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Add-ons introducing Custom Titles vs Crown Store

deleted008293
deleted008293
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

I want to state out another situation that came in my attention during the last years, I've spent in eso which is the ability of add-ons to alterate game functions such as changing current game titles earned through different achievements into fully customized and even colored titles.

Although GM's and people whom contributed a lot to this game might deserved to have a custom title next to their title using certain add-ons, I think this is a bit abusive and it can affect more or less players around.

- New players might be fooled that a certain individual might be a GM (game master) just because a player show off with a fancy title.
- Add-ons developers are decision makers if granting or not granting someone a custom title.
- Not everyone is allowed to have a custom title regardless about his or her contribution to the community.
- People who literally did nothing in the community, or even toxic players are allowing to have such titles, while some who probably did a lot doesn't even know such options exists.
- People might get influenced about a group performance judging by their fancy titles and less by their performance or humanity. Last year a good friend of mine no longer wanted to raid together in same team as a result of "some individuals showing off with their fancy titles".

On the other side allowing a player to buy and create a custom title via crown store system will give everyone a fair chance to get a nice fancy title. Or none at all.

Add-ons introducing Custom Titles vs Crown Store 129 votes

Everyone should have same chance to obtain a custom title (via addons)
15%
theyanceyCatsmoke14AimoradeviousthevileCaffeinatedMayhemG1CountdownEdziuyRavenSnowZeniaSinolainickl413karthrag_inakTheRävenLizziAScolossalvoidsThePedgeXologamerBoraxFluxYsbrielEmperorRemanIV 20 votes
Everyone should have same chance to obtain a custom title (via crown store)
6%
AnkaridanrlukeLupusdiabolusSosRuvaakFischblutrusselmmendozaEvilAutoTechBluestat 8 votes
No one should have a customized title as it is harassing or fooling people around
55%
SirAndychuck-18_ESOvailjohn_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdcam86b14_ESOkwisatzSoellastatic_rechargeanitajoneb17_ESOShareeGarpleyTanis-StormbinderGTech_1leeuxEdaphonOlauronHuyenSilverwillowkamimarkTandor 72 votes
Other
22%
tallennCyberOnEsoidkjbjondeaueb17_ESOstarkerealmElsonsokargen27OneForSorrowAsh_In_My_SujammaLadyNalcaryaDawnbladesusmitdsmax_onlyKonstant_Tel_NecrisMasterLenmanFroilZeroXFFnotyuuHamish999Fiktius 29 votes
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No one should have a customized title as it is harassing or fooling people around
    It cheapens titles. Which are already cheapened by win trading and buying carries.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a short question. Are you saying that an add-on someone can inatall on their game client can add a costume title that is visable for other players who dont use this add-on ?

If that is the case, then yes - it should not happen. If however they are the only one who can see the title... who cares ?
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on October 16, 2019 6:32AM
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It's hilarious that you think there are games masters :D

It's fine as it is, leave it alone.
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a short question. Are you saying that an add-on someone can inatall on their game client can add a costume title that is visable for other players who dont use this add-on ?

If that is the case, then yes - it should not happen. If however they are the only one who can see the title... who cares ?

It's an intrusive addon that's included with many popular addons such as Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter.

Most who have it installed probably don't realize it. I wish authors wouldn't include it with completely unrelated addons.

There's an addon that disables it:

https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1765-DisableCustomTitles.html

Though, when I install a new addon, I manually delete LibCustomTitles.lua if it's present.
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Nah to custom titles... But I voted other because I'm not fond of biased poll wording. Could've done without the color commentary.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From memory the add on that ads custom titles, the custom titles are only visible for others with that add on installed if not it just appears as though Volunteer title from PVP.
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know all that but this add-on was at least for a while included with some other very popular addon which a vast majority of players had it.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    nordmarian wrote: »
    - New players might be fooled that a certain individual might be a GM (game master) just because a player show off with a fancy title.

As far as I know, you can only see those custom titles if you have the addon that adds them. I think it's one of the raid related addons, and it's unlikely that a new player would have it.
    Also, impersonating ZOS staff is a bannable offense so I don't think that addon authors would do that.

Edit: apparently there is an addon just for titles, too, and the author does not allow titles that break TOS or already exist in game.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on October 16, 2019 7:23PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I know, you can only see those custom titles if you have the addon that adds them. I think it's one of the raid related addons, and it's unlikely that a new player would have it.
    Also, impersonating ZOS staff is a bannable offense so I don't think that addon authors would do that.

I was unaware of that issue and checked in my addon folder. This library was hidden/embedded in 12 (TWELVE!) of my addons. Including addons that are used by nearly everyone (Skyshard, LazyWritCrafter, PChat, AwesomeGuildStore, etc.). So yes, the problem is game wide and concerns everyone.

• svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard pass on custom titles.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    GMs not only have a title, but a fancy logo (as the loading screen has reminded me so many times).

If someone wants to ensure it's real, they can ask the player to link the achievement or they can do a quick google search.

Otherwise, titles are purely cosmetic. I know a lot of players who can't even see them (by choice).

Custom titles don't bother me.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I would say no one should have custom titles via any means but OP did not provide that answer for me to select without suggesting custom titles were harassment or trying to fool people . In other words, very poor poll.

The reason I do not think they should be permitted is it cheapens titles already out there. Zos should block that functionality even if it reduces the functionality of some addons to prevent abuse.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

I was unaware of that issue and checked in my addon folder. This library was hidden/embedded in 12 (TWELVE!) of my addons. Including addons that are used by nearly everyone (Skyshard, LazyWritCrafter, PChat, AwesomeGuildStore, etc.). So yes, the problem is game wide and concerns everyone.

Hmm I didn't know that.
    Well, at least there is an addon that disables them.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know it can be disabled but the situation is as follow, you have a bunch of friends close to you, you go to a raid team whom show off all their fancy titles and your friends are gone because, you can't give them fancy titles and they can. xD

So I would say this situation should stop.
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play console therefore I despise anything PC has that I don't have (sarcastic). But in all seriousness, I think custom titles should not exist. Earn a real title through in-game efforts, not skills acquired outside of the game (i.e. programming).
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Biased poll. (Yes, I have a custom title)
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also a lot of friends whom I played with have a custom title. It is just fair-play in the end. Friends should stick with those with a large heart, with those whom are nice and kind and willing to help and not being influenced by a group of fancy titles. :(
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Sigh.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm I didn't know that.
    Well, at least there is an addon that disables them.

This addon is about as simple to use as a Linux command-line based OS. NOPE xD.
    I prefer to simply delete all the LibCustomTitles.lua files in my addon folder, it's quicker and more reliable.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    This addon is about as simple to use as a Linux command-line based OS. NOPE xD.
    I prefer to simply delete all the LibCustomTitles.lua files in my addon folder, it's quicker and more reliable.

Too much work. :smile: I don't know about the addon that was linked, but I have an addon that I wrote for myself that removes the functionality of several addons. This is one of them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Could care less - not to mention, someone with a title by their name is in no way shape or form affecting others around them.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    when I install a new addon, I manually delete LibCustomTitles.lua if it's present.
    Same here, whenever i install something new or update something existing i do a quick search and delete the custom titles library file(s) from my AddOn folder.

You'd be surprised about some of the more well known players in there, i guess the urge to show off their epeen is strong in many ...
    slap.gif

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I don’t see fooling anyone, especially new players, as a problem since they would have to have installed and be using the add-on themselves to see these titles.

I really don’t pay attention to titles have have adjusted game setting to reduce how much info is displayed above other players so as to limit clutter in my screen (I do like to have Nameplates enabled but I don’t need to see everyone’s autobiography, lol).
    I know it can be disabled but the situation is as follow, you have a bunch of friends close to you, you go to a raid team whom show off all their fancy titles and your friends are gone because, you can't give them fancy titles and they can. xD

So I would say this situation should stop.

Um, what??? How are other people able to give them fancy titles? If by carrying through a raid or something, that’s a real title and not a custom one. More than that, you need to re-evaluate whom you consider “friends close to you” if you’re abandoned for so paltry an enticement...
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 16, 2019 9:04PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Should be opt-in, shouldn't have to opt-out -- shouldn't have to discover it was installed without your knowledge either.
    Should we be putting our tinfoil hats on and checking add-ons for undocumented functions now?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    I don’t see fooling anyone, especially new players, as a problem since they would have to have installed and be using the add-on themselves to see these titles.

It comes as a hidden install with many, many of the most popular AddOns. So yeah, it's *** up *** ...
    dry.gif

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    SirAndy wrote: »

It comes as a hidden install with many, many of the most popular AddOns. So yeah, it's *** up *** ...
    dry.gif

Fair enough, but why would it matter? If people are somehow using this to harass other players, etc., that’s already against TOS. Call yourself Ruler of the Universe in your name or in a fake title; I certainly won’t care and if I notice, will only be amused.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

dry.gif

Fair enough, but why would it matter? If people are somehow using this to harass other players, etc., that’s already against TOS. Call yourself Ruler of the Universe in your name or in a fake title; I certainly won’t care and if I notice, will only be amused.

I don't really care about people wearing fancy / custom titles but the sneaky way it's done is annoying.

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care about people wearing fancy / custom titles but the sneaky way it's done is annoying.

This brings up the issue of WHY it was done this way.
    Is it because not enough people would opt-in that it would be feel meaningless to them? If so, then these people who want custom titles don't just want it within their subculture. They want to impose it on others -- people who don't even know it's embedded in an Addon they are using, and don't realize the title is not official game content, and don't know they can opt out.

Honestly, how many people knew they could opt out of custom titles?

Selfish motives like this (again, basing on the ASSUMPTIONS above) is reason enough why the community can't be trusted to influence the game -- not just with the issue of titles, but especially with game balance.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 16, 2019 9:24PM
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    That. And to be honest using some addons to come forward with a custom title in front of somewhat relatively new to that will only manipulate and deceive people, in this case applicants to a raid team, to join theirs, even when their skills are not among the best but want to show off in front of others.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I voted other because I don't like the wording for the no. I do not see how a fake title is harassing another player. Titles should be earned though and that is why I also believe they should remain character bound and not account bound.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."