The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Will New Moon Acolyte overperform? [NOT A NERF THREAD BUT A DISCUSSION THREAD]

• Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it will outshine sets with similar bonuses in its current state
    I have yet to see ANYONE offer a coherent, plausible explanation for why they want this set nerfed. Rambling on about statistics and formulas for multiple paragraphs doesn't mean anything to me.

If statistics and formulas doesn't mean anything to you, how are you discussing in this thread? Let me guess, do you have a "feeling" that the set is fine? 😅
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celestro wrote: »
    Chelo wrote: »
    Why do I have a feeling that people who claim this set will overperform, won't use it anyway, but they just want to make sure that no one else will use it too ?

I will definitely use it. But as I said numerous times, with this set, Julianos and Hunding lose their purpose to exist...

I mean they've been obsolete for a long while. People have stopped using these for other Weapon and Spell Damage increasing sets for years.

Nope, Julianos and Hunding are "starer sets", you craft them before going out framing the real deal. But now, why would anyone craft a "starter set", if they can go straight for NMA?...
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    No it won't overperform and 5% is a enough of cost increase
    Why do I have a feeling that people who claim this set will overperform, won't use it anyway, but they just want to make sure that no one else will use it too ?

I will definitely use it. But as I said numerous times, with this set, Julianos and Hunding lose their purpose to exist...

I mean they've been obsolete for a long while. People have stopped using these for other Weapon and Spell Damage increasing sets for years.

Nope, Julianos and Hunding are "starer sets", you craft them before going out framing the real deal. But now, why would anyone craft a "starter set", if they can go straight for NMA?...

So there is a new 'starter' set? What's wrong with that? Not that Hunding's and Julianos won't still appear in some niche builds as someone mentioned. What about the other sets worse off than those two though? Just not understanding the argument that it'll make those two obsolete when better sets generally come along over time.

Personally, I'd rather other more niche or underwhelming sets get more attention than this.
    Edited by Celestro on October 11, 2019 8:16PM
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think people are seriously under valuing the 5% increase. For a non hybrid you're not even using the set to its full potential, which is magicka and stamina damage, and you are also essentially negating a 5 piece bonus such as Battlefield acrobat or alteration mastery.

You may aswell equip two damage sets which will total more than moon acolyte and save yourself the 5% cost increase.

This whole game is about balance. Mundus, food/ drink, enchants, sets, traits etc. are altered to ensure you get the most out of whatever you spec for without sacrificing too much other things. Equipping FMA just means having to sacrifice damage elsewhere to counter the 5% increase.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not get a set nerfed before it hits live, please. Especially since it seems that a lot of people voting and discussing haven't even personally tested the set to begin with .

I've tested it extensively. In 5.2.0 it seemed to be BiS for stamdens; my magden did OK with it too. Nightblades, templars, and sorcs that I tested ended up with major sustain issues, but I'm not familiar enough with the latter two to say that the sustain issues were due to the set and not my terrible rotation. It was awful on my nightblades, and I know that class well.
    However, that was back when the way to optimize DPS was to stack as much weapon or spell damage as possible and just try to boost light attacks. There do not exist (m)any sets for stam builds that add as much across-the-board (aka not sword Singer or Sword Dancer, which are weapon-specific) weapon damage as NMA. Briarheart doesn’t even come close.

In 5.2.3 I’ve put a few more DoTs back onto the stamden and NMA is no longer BiS, so have no fear. It’s not really going to be a consideration on my mag toons either given the sets that I have access to that already increase spell damage by a considerable amount (Spell Strategist, Siroria, etc) and don’t result in sustain issues.

I’ll hop into the PTS tonight and post some parses so people will STFU about this being OP.

Julianos + NMA resulted in the highest DPS that I got (magden) with a “beginner” rotation and build (no vMA staff, no full monster set, no crazy weavy overly-dynamic rotation). I tested it against War Maiden, Silks of the Sun, Burning Spellweave, and Mother’s Sorrow. The max I hit was 37k on a 6 mil with Juli + NMA and my best 6 mil DPS with my current gear setup and full rotation in the PTS is 48k, so it’s performing well, but won’t provide top-tier DPS. I think it’ll help people hit higher numbers though. Thus, Julianos and Hundings exist to pair with NMA if someone wants to go with fully-crafted armor and weapons/jewelry and wants a pure DPS build.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will cast 4 abilities on my DK and be OOM so the SD will be nice for heavy attacks
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few things! :)

1) it requires 9 traits to craft. most people don't have 9 traits so they'll have to buy it or something. that's not a bad thing imo, crafting sets being bis or close to it is awesome and something we haven't had in years.

2) it performs pretty much the same as MS according to some parses done by alcast recently.

3) it's basically just another option for sustain races which is cool. or you could pair it with pfgd and go extra spicy.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf!
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/gCi81fbeIvc
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how this over-performs, but I could see using it to get reasonable magicka heals on a stamina hybrid build, but I can do that today with existing setups.

Once they unify the breach/fracture debuff in a future patch it will be a very nice set because you could potentially use stam and magicka damage abilities in nocp without too many drawbacks. Otherwise the stats are meh, and inline with most sets.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in line with other dps sets but it just shows how bad other craftable sets need to be redone.
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So there is a new 'starter' set? What's wrong with that? Not that Hunding's and Julianos won't still appear in some niche builds as someone mentioned. What about the other sets worse off than those two though? Just not understanding the argument that it'll make those two obsolete when better sets generally come along over time.

Personally, I'd rather other more niche or underwhelming sets get more attention than this.

I don't want to nerf NMA... I want them to buff old sets... But for a business point of view, I understand they are NOT making any money by buffing old items that everyone already have.

They have to make people buy the new content. Easier if the new "easy access best items" are included in the new content...

But don't get me wrong. If this was a trial or dlc dungeon set, I will not have an issue with this. The problem is that this is a crafted set, so this is just too good and too easy to get. Pretty much making similar sets (Julianos and Hunding) pointless.

If this was a trial or dungeon set, people will still have to craft Julianos and Hunding...
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Its in line with other dps sets but it just shows how bad other craftable sets need to be redone.

Exactly! It is in line with MS, SS, BSW, etc... But isn't in line with other dps crafted sets. ZO$ should rework crafted sets in general...
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly! It is in line with MS, SS, BSW, etc... But isn't in line with other dps crafted sets. ZO$ should rework crafted sets in general...

I don't want to nerf NMA... I want them to buff old sets... But for a business point of view, I understand they are NOT making any money by buffing old items that everyone already have.

They have to make people buy the new content. Easier if the new "easy access best items" are included in the new content...

But don't get me wrong. If this was a trial or dlc dungeon set, I will not have an issue with this. The problem is that this is a crafted set, so this is just too good and too easy to get. Pretty much making similar sets (Julianos and Hunding) pointless.

If this was a trial or dungeon set, people will still have to craft Julianos and Hunding...

Then you two could cry that crafted sets are to op compared to drop sets ok JUST HOW ABOUT YOU STOP CRYING
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on October 14, 2019 1:07AM
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you two could cry that crafted sets are to op compared to drop sets ok JUST HOW ABOUT YOU STOP CRYING

How does this reply add anything to the discussion? 🤔
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does this reply add anything to the discussion? 🤔

Because it shows your continued bashing of things that doesn't fit into what you like and reason you off handled it shows that ty for your response tho but as i said youd complain regardless so have fun being negative and never seeing the brite side of things 1) new players have an good crafted set 2) vet players sick of grinding for 2 months to put together an set doesn't have to they can craft one easy as that GOODBYE
  • Muzzick
    Muzzick
    ✭✭✭✭

Why can't crafters have one nice set? What's the point of having all those crafting traits then if you're only gonna get beginner sets out of it, you said yourself it's inline with, not outperforming,.other sets. Maybe they should nerf MS or BSW too since it's pretty easy to get
    Edited by Muzzick on October 14, 2019 10:45AM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hundings and Julianos are more than starter sets. They are still very, very good, and a lot of builds use them effectively.

The only thing I see about NMA is that is offers 81 extra damage compared to midrange drop sets like War Maiden, and a marginal amount compared to most stam damage sets. I think the penetration is more valuable than the damage stat.

Using it for it's intended purpose, hybrids, won't really be useful until ZOS merges physical and spell penetration into a single debuff, and even then, in CP, the need to dilute CP to cover mag and stam damage always places hybrids at a disadvantage. You could do stam for damage and shoot for enough mag/spell damage for decent mag healing, which works fairly well, but you can do that easier today with existing sets.
    Edited by katorga on October 14, 2019 1:44PM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youtuber caller is there no one else covered this set. It is worse than pen sets (spinners) for damage. It is worse for sustain too. This set will be normal one, not a sloads.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I dont think this set is over the top at all. There are currently alot of other sets that are better than this set. Its nice because its a solid well rounded dps set. Like your going to be able to pull higher dps in other setups but this just a set to get you into the game and playing set, then worry about refining the build as you play.