The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

DEVELOPER DEEP DIVE – LET’S TALK ABOUT CLASS IDENTITY - feedback from a StamDK

Davadin
Davadin
✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57025

Wow, @ZOS_RobGarrett

What a load of BS.

I mean, I agree with everything you said in that article, and honestly, glad that the dev actually have some sort of focus/ideas on building a class identity. Great!

I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years.

Why?
When our team uses the term "class identity," we're referring to what makes the experience of playing a class feel unique from other classes, regardless of what role the character may be fulfilling. We break down that experience into two primary components: power fantasy and play patterns.

then....

4867cdeb413cf3b64f7d9c67f7ad164f.jpg

so... then.............
Necromancers draw their strength from death magic as they manipulate souls, flesh, and bone. Templars call upon the power of light and the burning sun. Every class should have a clearly defined source of power, and class abilities should reinforce that fantasy through their descriptions, animations, visual effects, and audio. When you see a player using class abilities, you should have little doubt which class they are playing, and it should look awesome!

"The Dragonknight brings flame and fury".

so why do I call it bull ***?

Because I agree with all the above, YET HERE WE ARE WITH POISON DRAGON KNIGHTS, NERFED DOTS AND STONE BLOODY FISTS.

WHAT. WERE. YOU. THINKING?

Was that article posted JUST to calm the angry DK threads posted this past week? But in all reality, NOTHING you develop reflects such values.

Oh my god, that article is such a slap in the face for me, as a StamDK since BETA, BECAUSE it's everything I agree with yet nothing I see in the game.

TLDR; NOTHING in the article is true in the game for a stamDK. NOTHING.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Edited by Davadin on September 28, 2019 4:22AM
August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruh.

I feels it.
    Options
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag and Stam DK here. You are not alone. The levels of stupidity are incomprehensible right now. I was fairly annoyed back in the morrowind patch when the warden took basically all the major buffs from templar and DK.....but this is something else..

It honestly feels like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, they've been at this for 4 years and it feels like they've learned nothing they trust their metrics far too much and not their common sense.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on September 28, 2019 5:38AM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
    Options
  • Epicasballs
    Epicasballs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm giving them until Monday before I rage out. They have promised combat changes. Time will tell if they listened or not.
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm giving them until Monday before I rage out. They have promised combat changes. Time will tell if they listened or not.

Source?
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

U24 is not the completion of this work, but just some quick updates as they work on it longer term:
    We consider these changes to be stop-gap measures while the team evaluates more holistic improvements for each class in the future. We’re not yet ready to share details on those long-term efforts
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for other classes to get a paper and scissor skill so I can play rock paper scissors with them instead of tickling them with my dots.
    Options
  • Epicasballs
    Epicasballs
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »

Source?

@OG_Kaveman the first paragrah of 5.2.1 patch notes.
    Options
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

U24 is not the completion of this work, but just some quick updates as they work on it longer term:
    We consider these changes to be stop-gap measures while the team evaluates more holistic improvements for each class in the future. We’re not yet ready to share details on those long-term efforts

ZOS has been saying that for years.

I'd believe it if there were any evidence that the dev team has an actual vision these updates are moving toward and there was discernible progress update after update toward that vision.

What has been happening for years is the devs just spring on us some radical change to entire systems: whether it's redoing healing, massive DPS increase to DOTs, Morrowind sustain nerfs, reworking blocking and tanking to make it more "fun," "standardization" for every ability in the game such that the only difference was the color of the skill, shields, etc. There is no vision they build on.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd believe it if there were any evidence that the dev team has an actual vision these updates are moving toward and there was discernible progress update after update toward that vision.

What has been happening for years is the devs just spring on us some radical change to entire systems: whether it's redoing healing, massive DPS increase to DOTs, Morrowind sustain nerfs, reworking blocking and tanking to make it more "fun," "standardization" for every ability in the game such that the only difference was the color of the skill, shields, etc. There is no vision they build on.

However, Rob and Brian have not been saying that for years.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source?

You mean this?-
    .Please note as with previous PTS cycles, the majority of combat changes will be in next week’s patch.

I see no promises there
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source?

You mean this?-
    .Please note as with previous PTS cycles, the majority of combat changes will be in next week’s patch.

I see no promises there
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

so here's Rob's intake on it. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57025

Now that it's confirmed what DK's identity should be, I'm going to log off ESO until "flame and fury" comes into realization.

hopefully, this "holistic improvements" comes sooner than later.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    forgot to add... an excerpt from the article too...
    What we don’t want is to create scenarios where, to be effective, you feel obligated to fill a majority of your hotbar slots with non-class abilities.

LOL @ZOS_RobGarrett u ever played StamDK?

No no no, I know u wrote u realize its not the case with many classes.....

but bruh...

Have you, or your team, ever played StamDK? One of the most popular class build which, surprise surprise, uses more non-class skills than DK skills.
    Options
  • Noisivid
    Noisivid
    ✭✭✭✭
    What we don’t want is to create scenarios where, to be effective, you feel obligated to fill a majority of your hotbar slots with non-class abilities.

but bruh...

Have you, or your team, ever played StamDK? One of the most popular class build which, surprise surprise, uses more non-class skills than DK skills.

8p83r7i6ck51.gif

I think my StamDK has maybe 2 or 3 actual DK skills slotted at the moment. Don't really remember 'cause I haven't played him in a long while... I wonder why B)

but bruh... damn :)
    Vogon Poet Laureate
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noisivid wrote: »

but bruh...

8p83r7i6ck51.gif

I think my StamDK has maybe 2 or 3 actual DK skills slotted at the moment. Don't really remember 'cause I haven't played him in a long while... I wonder why B)

but bruh... damn :)

nox is a great skill and volatile armor is a nice resist buff that's perfect for PvP.

well, frag shield got major mending, so there's that, also for PvP.

3 skills tops?

PvE i do use FOO and Nox or Claw or both, so that's also... 3 skills.

out. of. ***. 10.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I mean, if the goal is to have a "fire and fury" focus on the DK, shouldn't that be built into giving them more spammables, more reactive buffs, more options where a DK lashes out constantly, with vicious attacks?

Right now (pre-patch) DKs are the class that sticks 15 million DoTs on the target and go makes a cup of coffee while they wait.

There's nothing fire and fury about a StamKnight, and nothing furious about a MagKnight. They're just DoT machines, slowly melting their foes into puddles.

I mean, I like that proposed class identity, but if that's the end point, we've got a long way to go.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Source?

The article, and also every patch cycle. Combat changes are second PTS update. And sometimes some in the 3rd and 4th.

Monday is basically make or break on whether they are digging in their heels (again) or if they are listening.
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They've done a great job of undoing some of the stupidity over the previous 4 years and bringing some semblance of sanity.

People got used to and then accepted a D grade system that was about as neat and congruent as a plate of spaghetti. Of course no one ever actually said that - got a lot of "devs suck more balance!!!11!1!" "fire Wrobel!!!1!". But now when the thing people were absolutely clamoring for, a balanced system, begins to come to order ITS COMPLETE *** CHAOS THE CHILDREN ARE BURNING GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

Of course it's going to be a fairly tumultuous adventure lol. I have and will continue to maintain that the previous combat system was busted garbage and could not be balanced and was absolutely worth nuking. I will maintain the optimism that the system in development will allow for much greater latitude in appropriate skill/passive adjustment as everything is being reduced to a baseline performance that it should have been at launch.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    balance is great, but not at the cost of identity.

Garrett explained it perfectly in the article and I agree with that article 100%...

it's just sad that it feels like lips service only, judging by Live and PTS right now.

we'll see Monday, I suppose.
    Options
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

They've done a great job of undoing some of the stupidity over the previous 4 years and bringing some semblance of sanity.

People got used to and then accepted a D grade system that was about as neat and congruent as a plate of spaghetti. Of course no one ever actually said that - got a lot of "devs suck more balance!!!11!1!" "fire Wrobel!!!1!". But now when the thing people were absolutely clamoring for, a balanced system, begins to come to order ITS COMPLETE *** CHAOS THE CHILDREN ARE BURNING GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.

Of course it's going to be a fairly tumultuous adventure lol. I have and will continue to maintain that the previous combat system was busted garbage and could not be balanced and was absolutely worth nuking. I will maintain the optimism that the system in development will allow for much greater latitude in appropriate skill/passive adjustment as everything is being reduced to a baseline performance that it should have been at launch.

Not really. everything people didn't like about the old combat team has been amplified under the new combat team. nothing has actually changed other than the fact that the new combat team apparently doesn't understand the combat system and is just making a mess... The reason i didn't like where Wrobel was going was homogenization, the new dev team is 1000X worse in that regard. i think what people are starting to realize is that homogenization was probably not Wrobel's choice. I'm playing a class for visuals at this point, there is no other reason i play this class over that class, they're all basically the same right now.

one main things people didn't like for example: was over-nerfing and over-buffing things..... yeah, not like they became any more tempered.
    Edited by Lucky28 on September 29, 2019 1:02AM
    Invictus
    Options
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly balance is a minor issue compared to the way the game plays in pvp.

They have no idea on multiple fronts, have no idea what enjoyable mmo is like and had years to do something about it.

However we must wait for another 9 months for any performance improvements, be prepared for stop gap balance 'placeholders' and put up with 'we dont want to reveal at this time'.........

all with their track record of delivering zero
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

so here's Rob's intake on it. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/57025

Now that it's confirmed what DK's identity should be, I'm going to log off ESO until "flame and fury" comes into realization.

But they have done it.

Now we want to burn this to ashes, since we are pretty furious about the changes

ZoS logic
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

But they have done it.

Now we want to burn this to ashes, since we are pretty furious about the changes

ZoS logic

what? no they haven..... Ooooooooh I see what you did there, you silly old boy!
    Options
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The entire reason DK in general is dot centered with zero passives or skills in the class tool kit that do executes was the whole class identity philosophy.

Its pretty pathetic the state they are pushing the class. You nerf its main kit to oblivion and then make zero skill or passive changes to compensate.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
    Options
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey don't leave out stamina sorcerers that now throw knives... some godamn class identity there!
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey don't leave out stamina sorcerers that now throw knives... some godamn class identity there!

*** i wish DK have throw-knives skill.
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Edited by The_Lex on October 21, 2019 5:55PM
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »

thanks for the bump? lol

i bet u this post would still be relevant next *** year.
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »

thanks for the bump? lol

i bet u this post would still be relevant next *** year.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was going to write up something about Sorcs but I didn't want to derail from the DK theme.
    Options
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't mind. The problem is the class identity and their blatant ignorance on implementing it in-game.

i just picked DK coz it's the class i play, but it's true for all class.
    Options