Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Australia to PC NA ping up by 100 over the last 3 or so weeks. Tracert included.

Icy
Icy
✭✭✭✭
I had a fast connection installed and my ping dropped to 290, which is the best it's ever been, but in the last 3 weeks or so ping has been back up consistently to 390+ All Australian and NZ players I've talked to report the same issue.

Tracert posted below AND IVE FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING. All IPS owned by Akamai unless stated.

Route starts in Sydney (via ISP Internode), then Hong Kong, then

210.176.33.42 Japan Tokyo Tokyo
23.57.105.245 United States District of Columbia Washington
72.52.1.179 United States Massachusetts Cambridge
23.57.105.251 United States District of Columbia Washington
93.191.172.19 United Kingdom England Cambridge
93.191.173.29 United Kingdom England Cambridge
72.52.29.88 United States California San Jose
198.20.192.4 United States Maryland Hunt Valley (Zenimax)

NOTE THAT IT GOES FROM CAMBRIDGE US TO CAMBRIDGE UK. Did someone at Akamai just type in Cambridge and forget to specify the country? Does anyone else see this when they run a trace route?

I hope this helps narrow down the unexpectedly high ping from Oceania so that we can return to normal. Thank you.

o691dsvyhc4t.png

Included below link to someone else's forum post showing a more direct tracert route from a few months ago.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020507/uploads/editor/aq/di7ymc1rlp69.png
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5907894/#Comment_5907894
Edited by Icy on August 10, 2019 12:15PM
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    I had a fast connection installed and my ping dropped to 290, which is the best it's ever been, but in the last 3 weeks or so ping has been back up consistently to 390+ All Australian and NZ players I've talked to report the same issue.

Tracert posted below AND IVE FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING. All IPS owned by Akamai unless stated.

Route starts in Sydney (via ISP Internode), then Hong Kong, then

210.176.33.42 Japan Tokyo Tokyo
    23.57.105.245 United States District of Columbia Washington
    72.52.1.179 United States Massachusetts Cambridge
    23.57.105.251 United States District of Columbia Washington
    93.191.172.19 United Kingdom England Cambridge
    93.191.173.29 United Kingdom England Cambridge
    72.52.29.88 United States California San Jose
    198.20.192.4 United States Maryland Hunt Valley (Zenimax)

NOTE THAT IT GOES FROM CAMBRIDGE US TO CAMBRIDGE UK. Did someone at Akamai just type in Cambridge and forget to specify the country? Does anyone else see this when they run a trace route?

I hope this helps narrow down the unexpectedly high ping from Oceania so that we can return to normal. Thank you.

o691dsvyhc4t.png

Your locations are inaccurate. Internet sites that tell you where an IP address is tend to tell you where the company/owner is, not where the actual location is. Akamai is in Cambridge Massachusetts. ZOS is in Hunt Valley. The NA megaservers are in Texas.

Most of those IP addresses are very difficult to geo-locate, and the ones that aren't require some knowlege about internet routing.

Based on your picture, it looks like it comes into the US on the west coast, not DC, from Hong Kong, not Tokyo. After that, it is harder to tell, but the first three in the US look like they are in the Pacific northwest, probably Oregon.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try https://geotraceroute.com/?node=1790&host=198.20.200.25 for yourself where 198.20.200.25 is one of the ESO login server addresses you have a connectio to after you've entered your password.

I mean, it's less hops for me in Australia atm to get to the EU servers....
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try https://geotraceroute.com/?node=1790&host=198.20.200.25 for yourself where 198.20.200.25 is one of the ESO login server addresses you have a connectio to after you've entered your password.

I mean, it's less hops for me in Australia atm to get to the EU servers....

Interesting location data. The big clue is that any geolocation service, no matter how flashy, that puts the ESO server in Hunt Valley is not providing accurate location data.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS doesn't care about us peasant Oceanic players:

IuX1EBF.jpg
  • Ashica
    Ashica
    ✭✭
    ZOS needs to address this issue.
    This is definitely a problem on their end and I can say that my ping did go from around 290-300 on average to 400 plus in the last few weeks.
    The game has become unplayable for me at this current time. With the wrothgar event and the new DLC I can’t participate when my ping is over 700+ Having played this game for about 4 years as a ESO Plus Member I’m actually really disappointed at the end of the day we are being charged for a service that isn’t playable.
    Edited by Ashica on August 13, 2019 1:14PM
    PC NA
    Naetastic - Magdk
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone continuing to experience issues with latency, please include the following details in your post.
    • Megaserver
    • Your current location
    • ISP name
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Megaserver
    PCNA

Your current location
    Auckland, New Zealand

ISP name
    Slingshot Gig Fibre

@ZOS_BillE
    Edited by CiliPadi on August 14, 2019 9:15AM
  • Silent84
    Silent84
    ✭✭✭
    Mate i am in Eu (Romania) and i got 100 ping, and look my speed.They have the worst servers i ever seen before! https://www.speedtest.net/result/8503166086.png
    Edited by Silent84 on August 15, 2019 9:59AM
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    Every Australian and NZ player is experiencing this same latency issue as of about 1 week a go. I had it for around 3 months after Akamai anti DDOS server was introduced around Murkmire last year.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/439549/oceanic-lag-now-300-400-ms-even-with-a-vpn-was-250-300#latest
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • wasm32trojan
    Disconnects every 2 minutes.
    PC-NA
    Vladivostok, Russia
    Podryad

C:\Users\User>tracert 198.20.200.155

Трассировка маршрута к 198.20.200.155 с максимальным числом прыжков 30

1 1 ms <1 мс <1 мс XiaoQiang [192.168.31.1]
    2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.47.148.1
    3 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.2.100.49
    4 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.8.2.17
    5 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 10.2.200.18
    6 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 10.8.102.137
    7 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 10.2.200.5
    8 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms vvk06.transtelecom.net [217.150.59.102]
    9 72 ms 72 ms 72 ms ttk2-10g.hkix.net [123.255.90.210]
    10 199 ms 199 ms 198 ms prolexic1-lacp-10g.hkix.net [123.255.91.26]
    11 201 ms 202 ms 202 ms po110.bs-a.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.2.176]
    12 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    13 200 ms 201 ms 202 ms ae120.access-a.sech-hkg2.netarch.akamai.com [72.52.2.181]
    14 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    15 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    16 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    17 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    18 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    19 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    20 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    21 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    22 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    23 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    24 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    25 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    26 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    27 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    28 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    29 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.
    30 * * * Превышен интервал ожидания для запроса.

Трассировка завершена.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megaserver: PC/NA
    ISP: Bigpipe

My route to the USA is now via Australia and then to Hong Kong where it goes into AKAMAI's Prolexic network. Prior to that it went directly to the West Coast USA.

This has been happening since September 2018.

SMpM4io.jpg
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    For anyone continuing to experience issues with latency, please include the following details in your post.
    • Megaserver
    • Your current location
    • ISP name
    Thanks for taking a look @ZOS_BillE It's in the original post but to confirm, Location: Sydney. ISP: Internode (https://www.internode.on.net/) going to PC NA server.

My ping for the last week has been even higher unfortunately, consistently around 410, rather than the 390 of the original post (which is the worst I've seen in just overland content since the game launched). I've attached an updated tracert to www. elderscrollsonline.com (which now times out after the 93.191.172.29 address)

2bshqx3r6drf.png

And this is an interesting way to get a visual representation of where the path is going. https://geotraceroute.com/?node=1546&host=www.elderscrollsonline.com (the node used is Mascot, a suburb in Sydney)

Thank you for all your help.
    Edited by Icy on August 19, 2019 5:54AM
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    Megaserver: PC-NA
    Your current location: Adelaide, South Australia
    ISP name: iiNet
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2bshqx3r6drf.png

Wow. Go Telstra. Do they sit there and read your packets in real time as they go through? :neutral:

Good news is that you aren't routed through Hong Kong, which your GeoTrace implies. Looks like Japan to West Coast to me.
  • PeterCram
    PeterCram
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    • Megaserver
    • Your current location
    • ISP name

Megaserver: NA
    ISP NAME: Telstra
    Current Location: Australia Melbourne
    Ping currently: 380-400+
    Edited by PeterCram on August 20, 2019 10:49AM
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    It's debated by people whether this works or not. For me personally I can say it DOES work. Not ideal because this issue should be looked at by zeni, anyway, I use Battleping. Usually my ping is at 380-400+ms (those the averages it sits at between 380-400 usually). With battleping on I play at 270-300ms of ping. It cuts it down by 100ms on average and you can really feel the difference in PVP and PVE.

See screen shot:
    GZL16KZ.png

Definitely not the solution as zeni should fix the issue and we shouldnt have to pay for another service to do this, but it depends how bad you wanna play. And for me, paying $22 AUD for 90 days to get somewhat good ping, is worth it because Im a pvp addict...
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    Raevyness wrote: »
    It's debated by people whether this works or not. For me personally I can say it DOES work. Not ideal because this issue should be looked at by zeni, anyway, I use Battleping. Usually my ping is at 380-400+ms (those the averages it sits at between 380-400 usually). With battleping on I play at 270-300ms of ping. It cuts it down by 100ms on average and you can really feel the difference in PVP and PVE.

See screen shot:
    GZL16KZ.png

Definitely not the solution as zeni should fix the issue and we shouldnt have to pay for another service to do this, but it depends how bad you wanna play. And for me, paying $22 AUD for 90 days to get somewhat good ping, is worth it because Im a pvp addict...

Megaserver: NA
    ISP NAME: Telstra
    Current Location: Australia Sydney
    Ping currently: 380-400+ (See above screen shot)

I'd also like to add if you wanna test out Battleping, they have a trial you can do if interested. Just some tips for the desperate Aussie players :p
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Megaserver: PC NA
    ISP: Telstra NBN (50Mbps FTTN)
    Ping: 420-430, occasionally 390 if I'm very lucky.
    Edited by OldManJim on August 21, 2019 11:20AM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

See screen shot:
    GZL16KZ.png

I agree. I personally have had good experience with ExitLag (for the first time I've dropped under 200 ping at times), manually choosing the "end" server location. they have a 1 month free trial, worth giving it a shot. I had an idea that Zos would offer a rebate coupon to their customers with one of the game routing services. Not meant as cynicism, I really think it would be appreciated.

Edit* PC/NA from Sweden btw.
    Edited by Idinuse on August 21, 2019 2:13PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • TheCrouchingDuck
    TheCrouchingDuck
    Soul Shriven
    Megaserver: PC NA
    ISP: Telstra NBN (100Mbps FTTN)
    Ping Before: 266 - 300
    Ping Lately: 400 - 467
    Ping with VPN: 333 - 366
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »

See screen shot:
    GZL16KZ.png

I agree. I personally have had good experience with ExitLag (for the first time I've dropped under 200 ping at times), manually choosing the "end" server location. they have a 1 month free trial, worth giving it a shot. I had an idea that Zos would offer a rebate coupon to their customers with one of the game routing services. Not meant as cynicism, I really think it would be appreciated.

Wouldn't the EU server be better from Sweden?
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »

See screen shot:
    GZL16KZ.png

Wouldn't the EU server be better from Sweden?

Well, haha, as the EU server is ATM no! :D

But yes I generally have ~80 ping on EU. However when ESO released a bunch of my US friends wanted me to join them there (they're not playing anymore, but boy do I have new awesome friends there now) so, ja, that's how it is. I've got 1 1/2 char on EU now though. Working her up to be PvP ready. Might have 4 PvP chars ready (full speed and stam on mounts) before EU Cyrodiil is playable though...
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Talwyn_Aureliano
    Talwyn_Aureliano
    ✭✭✭
    Megaserver: PC-NA
    Your current location : Perth, Western Australia
    ISP name: Telstra

My ping used to be 100 - 200 back in 2017 using the NBN
    However like everyone else here over the past few months the ping is now regularly showing 400+ and often sits at 500 or more.
    While it's still playable for PVE [mostly] and the drop out from the server due to latency isn't much of a common problem this is still something that is irksome to say the least.

:(
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Server: PC-NA
    ISP: Telstra

2 years ago it was 210-250. Last year it became 310-360. Now it's 440-460.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Raevyness
    Raevyness
    ✭✭✭
    Server: PC-NA
    ISP: Telstra

2 years ago it was 210-250. Last year it became 310-360. Now it's 440-460.

Yeah its absolute rubbish. ZoS hasn't even commented on why ping has risen so much for oce players. Devs need to address this issue. They already said no to a oce server, but what about addressing the issues players are experiencing, which are the reasons they want their own server.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough issue for zeni to tackle. It’s been about 1 year that our oceanic friends have been noticing consistently worse ping than before, posting evidence that their new normal ping is what used to be their “bad ping”, and it’s pretty clear that Akamai is the culprit. Zeni hasn’t done much to acknowledge it and this thread with its “post your region and ISP” pandering won’t change that. They're providing a lousy experience for paying customers while also delivering lousy customer service about it.

But on the other side of the business, when they were getting frequent ddos attacks it was impacting the entire server. Usually on weekends because cyber security trolls are great at trolling.

So zeni had to do something, and there aren’t that many vendor partners to choose from in that arena who offer solutions for local and international traffic. Akamai has a terrible reputation in most tech circles, but their sales team is slick and probably promised great things to zeni. Now they are locked into an expensive multiyear contract for a service that does what it’s supposed to, at the expense of a portion of the customer base. Many companies would choose a “head in the sand” approach to this, and zeni isn’t any different.

I’m sorry to say it probably won’t get better for you any time soon :(
    Edited by Reverb on August 27, 2019 1:09PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    This is a tough issue for zeni to tackle. It’s been about 1 year that our oceanic friends have been noticing consistently worse ping than before, posting evidence that their new normal ping is what used to be their “bad ping”, and it’s pretty clear that Akamai is the culprit. Zeni hasn’t done much to acknowledge it and this thread with its “post your region and ISP” pandering won’t change that. They're providing a lousy experience for paying customers while also delivering lousy customer service about it.

But on the other side of the business, when they were getting frequent ddos attacks it was impacting the entire server. Usually on weekends because cyber security trolls are great at trolling.

So zeni had to do something, and there aren’t that many vendor partners to choose from in that arena who offer solutions for local and international traffic. Akamai has a terrible reputation in most tech circles, but their sales team is slick and probably promised great things to zeni. Now they are locked into an expensive multiyear contract for a service that does what it’s supposed to, at the expense of a portion of the customer base. Many companies would choose a “head in the sand” approach to this, and zeni isn’t any different.

Yeah the above is good information.

I just suppose it's poor form for the Devs to not even so much as provide Oceanic players with an explanation or acknowledgement in any form. We are paying customers and it's the least ZOS could do.
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iphin wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »

Yeah the above is good information.

I just suppose it's poor form for the Devs to not even so much as provide Oceanic players with an explanation or acknowledgement in any form. We are paying customers and it's the least ZOS could do.

I highly doubt that ZOS is going to trot out and complain in public about something a paid vendor is doing wrong. Besides, the benefit ZOS gets from the service probably far outweighs the problems that a segment of the players are having.