Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How did Power overload suddenly get so super strong

Theignson
Theignson
✭✭✭✭✭
Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.
Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
Glimson, Arcanist, Major
All EP/ PC NA
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened with this ability. I know patch 5.05 increased its damage by 10% but that can't explain this. Did they change some synergy with blockade of storms or something like that? Did a change in CP boost it? Or a new set?

Suddenly all the usual troll groups are running with multiple sorcs using this. It's like when Goliath Bash was OP and all the trolls were hitting pugs with multiple bashes. In the area death notices the vast majority of deaths streaming by are now power overload. My 33k spell resist/3 k crit resist DK got hit with an 11k attack. I routinely get hit by 2-3 sorcs with overload in a big fight.

Large scale fights are now super dangerous for stam melees with limited mobility; you are meleeing and multiple sorcs sneak up and destroy you with overload from behind.

Do you mean zerg fights? Because overload has almost always been a beginner friendly skill (esp back at 1k stored) and it's not uncommon to see them firing about. It got quiet when pets became their new go-to but I guess it's creeping back.

If it's actually "troll" groups -whatever that is- then it's probably just used in conjunction with elemental weapon (if that works) and elegance etc.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing happen, its been good for a long time. It's just evolution.
    Ball groups finally figured out Negate was somewhat over hyped, (mainly because ball groups does not fight ball groups anymore)
    and other players figured out how to counter Atro hugging sorc's with aoe.

Overload has been a staple skill ever since we got Molag Keena, and DW sorc's have been rocking it forever.
    It just got popularized recently again by twitch streamers and youtubers and adopted by Sorc's looking for a new meta.

Edit: one thing happen though - we got minor heroism pots.
    this have made recharging overload less of a hassle

Edited by Araviel2 on August 9, 2019 2:15PM
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It didn't suddenly get super strong, it just hasn't been popular. It because more viable to run OL without the 3rd bar restriction, but still wasn't popular. Now it is, and everyone is hopping on the bandwagon. Unfortunately, it is getting buffed in the next patch, one with a bug fix and two with a buff to off-balance.

IMO, the range of heavy overload channels needs to be melee: 7m. Not 15m. 15m leaves very little room for any sort of counterplay. It can't be dodged or reflected, if you get in range for a CC you are dead when you get there, if you negate the sorc they don't lose their ult but you do, if you try to shield or heal spam you will be out of resources before they are out of overload.

In the meantime, ranged builds just need to tab target OL sorcs and take them out first.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Do you mean zerg fights? Because overload has almost always been a beginner friendly skill (esp back at 1k stored) and it's not uncommon to see them firing about. It got quiet when pets became their new go-to but I guess it's creeping back.

If it's actually "troll" groups -whatever that is- then it's probably just used in conjunction with elemental weapon (if that works) and elegance etc.

Ok this makes some sense. Elemental weapon + Blockade of storms + elegance+ an increase boost from CP in last patch +a 10% boost to damage in the last patch
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Ok this makes some sense. Elemental weapon + Blockade of storms + elegance+ an increase boost from CP in last patch +a 10% boost to damage in the last patch

And as someone else said which I forgot about, Kena. I'm just speculating that elemental weapon procs from it though, it might not.
    Edited by BNOC on August 9, 2019 2:35PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please clarify if you're in CP OW or BGs. I have yet to run into any overload sorc doing such things in BGs.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance.

The 70% damage boost isn't working on live for overload. It will next patch.

• WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance.

That's wild.
    PC NA

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is: It did not. You just forgot to wear Bastion of the Heartland, and to renew Quick Cloak in a situation where you should really have both.

People see high numbers in their death recap, and forget that those are typically multiple ticks from multiple sorcs. A normal permablock DK cannot be harmed by it in a 1vs1 situation.

The skill is not bad, I´ve been using it for 5 years now, but it´s not as good as a StamWarden, a Balorghblade, or even a self-synergy Necro when it comes to AoE damage. It can´t even out-dps a MagWarden healer`s AoE healing after the next patch.
    Edited by Thraben on August 9, 2019 4:33PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does more dmg than Eye of the Storm and can be turned on and off at will. People have posted recaps on the forums that were from one sorc that would probably raise eyebrows if someone at ZOS saw it and understood what they were seeing. You can compare it to other cheese all you want but it's overperforming. It wouldn't survive in its current state if ZOS gave it a "balance pass."
    PC NA

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's too much discrepancy between game modes (CP, OW, BG)

I feel like an Overload Sorc is nowhere near overperforming - in no CP BGs

It very well could be in CP OW...

So how can I advocate a change where my primary enjoyment does not encounter such a thing?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    It does more dmg than Eye of the Storm and can be turned on and off at will. People have posted recaps on the forums that were from one sorc that would probably raise eyebrows if someone at ZOS saw it and understood what they were seeing. You can compare it to other cheese all you want but it's overperforming. It wouldn't survive in its current state if ZOS gave it a "balance pass."

If someone put as much cp to buff EoS as overload sorcs invest into Staff expert and stacked a ton of dots it would preform just the same (oh yea unlike Overload heavy you can cast other skills while EoS is active)

Right now no one is really crazy enough to do that,
    Next patch though.....

Edited by Araviel2 on August 9, 2019 6:46PM
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    Kinda always were OP but not much people knew how to use and to be fair ins't a exploit, this is in game for a while but just now got out the nasty setups, if i recall correctly.

Elegance/Spinner/Slimecraw.

Elegance it's more 20%.
    Slimecraw more 8%.
    They also use Lightning Stave because it buffs AoE damage by 8%.
    Staff Expert CP.
    Elemental Blockade causes Minor Vunerability and Off-Balance.
    Sorc passives, Energized and Amplitude.
    Also AoE debuffs from Magicka Wardens.
    Mundus probably the Penetration one.

But we shall see if the Nerf will come towards this Ultimate, the damage it's massive for one person.
    Edited by Ecfigies on August 9, 2019 7:54PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    12k per tick is not unusual NOW on a full heavy OL build, and this will go up on the 12th. Most are running Vicious Death though, which puts them in the 7k range.

I rarely see a destro ult tick that high. SEE is an important word here -- a moving destro ult has a huge red ring. The sorc about to channel from the second floor and hit the bottom floor doesn't even render an animation that matches the range of the skill.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please clarify if you're in CP OW or BGs. I have yet to run into any overload sorc doing such things in BGs.

I only run OW CP.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

The answer is: It did not. You just forgot to wear Bastion of the Heartland, and to renew Quick Cloak in a situation where you should really have both.

People see high numbers in their death recap, and forget that those are typically multiple ticks from multiple sorcs. A normal permablock DK cannot be harmed by it in a 1vs1 situation.

The skill is not bad, I´ve been using it for 5 years now, but it´s not as good as a StamWarden, a Balorghblade, or even a self-synergy Necro when it comes to AoE damage. It can´t even out-dps a MagWarden healer`s AoE healing after the next patch.

I always check my recaps in Combat metrics to see individual hits. Biggest hit I saw was 11k, but on my NB I frequently see 27k from 3 hits from one sorc. If I'm in a big battle meleeing I'm not going to be blocking when a sorc or two creep up and blast me with this. I do need to learn the signs but in most big battles with lag and 40 effects going off at once, it can be very hard to see this before you're dead.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

ugh, this is bad. I don't want to be hit with an 18k heavy attack.
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP'ers angling for another sorc nerf?
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only sorcs I encountered with this did open the fight out of hiding, and if I got away with the initial burst were extremely weak (=no defenses) and easy to kill.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    a while back ( a long while ) power overload heavy atk was powered by heavy attack cp, thaumaturge cp and lightning dmg cp, im sure it still is. Add elegance set ontop and yea, probably gonna hit hard. (empower too)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve only started using this in under 50 bgs. It does hit hard, but being directional, you really have to group every one in front of you. Seems a lot like a dawnbreaker to me. Difference is it being a channel and you are completely vulnerable while channeling it. Now that I know what it’s about, I doubt I’ll ever die much to it again. Roll dodge through and hit the Sorc from behind. And I don’t think it needs to be changed.

On another note, I find myself again in a thread where the usual “nerf this” crowd are showing up. Rather than nerf another skill, maybe you could instead focus on the Elegance set. A fine set, but to interact so strongly with an ult has always seemed strange to me.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to be killed by anyone doing this, although I have, in fact, killed a bunch of people myself with OL heavy attacks.

Way too soon to be talking about nerfs for Overload, in my opinion. Let's see how the Update 23 meta shakes out, then we can talk about adjustments.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Araviel2 wrote: »
    Ball groups finally figured out Negate was somewhat over hyped, (mainly because ball groups does not fight ball groups anymore)

Overload has been a staple skill ever since we got Molag Keena, and DW sorc's have been rocking it forever.
    It just got popularized recently again by twitch streamers and youtubers and adopted by Sorc's looking for a new meta.

This guy really said negate is overhyped LOLOLOL
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »
    Araviel2 wrote: »

This guy really said negate is overhyped LOLOLOL

yea I think it was (and note I said was as in the past)
    Its not anymore and people have caught on, no ball groups runs with 5-8 negate sorcs anymore and the only time you see negates in Cyrodil nowadays are in tower fights.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're doing so much damage because of the 70% boost in heavy attack damage from off-balance. High risk high reward mechanics are good and I like seeing large groups die but imo Overload is overtuned right now. Either the range should be reduced, it should stay bashable, or that 70% heavy attack bonus on off-balance should be looked at.

Sure you have to build for cheese Overload but other than that you are holding left click to do a ton of damage. Someone has to do a lot of work to compete with the amount of damage these builds can put out and since they're sorcs they can easily shield or streak away = no risk. I feel this has been overlooked by ZOS, it's hard to imagine them being ok with amount of dmg considering some of the other things they nerf.

"Holding left click..." LOL. This is such a silly line of reasoning. Is there any ultimate in the game that ISN'T activated by pressing a button? Also, holding down the attack button is one of the things that makes Overload kills so hard to pull off: you can't do almost anything else while your doing a heavy attack! You can't block, you can't cast other spells, you can't run fast. I don't think you can dodge, either, without breaking off the attack... somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this.

#CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the things that makes the forums bad is that each class has its constituency that always shows up to oppose any kind of nerfs without looking at the bigger picture. Often times commenting without really knowing what they're commenting on. We're talking about 12k ticks of OL heavy not your average pug using it.

One person. 12k ticks. They can turn it off and on at will. Dawnbreaker fires once. EoTS fires once for its full duration. These cheese builds are hitting harder than either of those and can store plenty of ultimate to use at will. This can be looked at without nerfing sorc into the ground. I have 3 sorcs btw and it's my second favorite class.

And if you read all the comments you can see this skill is also hitting people on different floors of keeps. It's not telegraphed anything at all like EoTS which it should be if it's gonna hit this hard.

That's 12k ticks on players, not tooltips.
    Edited by WreckfulAbandon on August 9, 2019 10:05PM
    PC NA

• zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the mistakes I made was playing the dragon knight class back in 2014. If I would of picked the sorc I could of played a class that was the most well rounded in terms of offense and defense.
    Edited by zParallaxz on August 9, 2019 10:11PM
  • Synapsis123
    Synapsis123
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only person getting hit with 12k overloads is someone that didn't build right. I hit people that build correctly for like 3k with overload and people that block for like 1 to 1.5k. Just block forehead.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched a stream the other week where the streamer got hit by 15k ticks and also died one time when he was on the top level of a tower and got hit from overload from a sorc attacking someone else on a lower level of the tower, so broken.

Another fine example of why people laugh at PvP in MMORPGs and why it is as "popular" as it is, low on skill, high on cheese.
    Edited by Sylosi on August 9, 2019 10:29PM