Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Light armor are trash in pvp

• wills43b14_ESO
    wills43b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Light armor is going to be tough this patch. The undodgeable single target dot spam meta is going to wreck light armor pretty hard. I couldn't even out heal 3 dots from a stam dk w/ bird spam last night when testing - shields and crit surge were required.
    Godslayer
    Tick Tock Tormentor
    Gryphon Heart
    Immortal Redeemer
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    La is tankier than heavy with brass and protective juicy pen sustain and crit.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »

If you wear brass and protective you literally don’t have enough damage to kill anyone who knows how to play. All you can do is stay alive forever.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    Except for Sorc and NB can somebody tell me why any other class should wear light armor in pvp.

Guess not ...

Magplar can do wonders in light armor. The penetration is so valuable.
  • iRaivyne
    iRaivyne
    ✭✭✭
    You have to mitigate damage somehow. Light armor gets by because of damage shields. If the Magicka build doesn't have a damage shield, or Frost staff/sword & board, or use a defensive set, then it's more likely to be a heavy armor build.
    Edited by iRaivyne on August 6, 2019 8:54PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you wear brass and protective you literally don’t have enough damage to kill anyone who knows how to play. All you can do is stay alive forever.

In CP pvp maybe yea, if you’re running around solo you need to glass canon on live to kill anyone as you’ve been saying.

Damage output is still better 5x L with one defensive set then 5x H with all offensive sets... by quite a bit, so it still comes down to 5x L is better.

Mag builds basicly come down to tank up to your environment in 5x L at all costs.

Think of it this way, from 5x light you get:
    As much crit as 2.5x a crit set bonus
    More pen then from spinners
    More recovery then 2x lines of recovery
    More cost reduction then being a Breton

What you lose is physical resists and a bit of magicka resists, healing received (which isn’t that great) and the sustain passive from heavy armour.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 6, 2019 9:03PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm magplar in light with 25k resists, 50% uptime on major protection, 3.3k crit resist and can do enough dmg still to make ppl melt at my feet
    Edited by Syiccal on August 6, 2019 9:03PM
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear light on all mag characters at this point. It has much better passives than heavy and it's relatively easy in elsweyr to get good resistances/damage mitigation.

even with the nerfs to protective and pirate skeleton there are plenty of options to be able to take advantage of the reduced cost and increased pen.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    It has always been this way. Sorcerers and Nightblades can use it, because they are slippery enough to do it often. And I would even argue, that Nightblade can only reliably use light armor, if they are vampire to make proper use of healing ward.

I have often met Templars and Wardens who were trying to play in light armor. They were mercilessly destroyed without having any noticeable damage increase themselves. I would always tell them, that light armor only works when you shield stack and even then..... Well, they switched to heavy armor and agreed with me.

I think, Dragonknight is the deadliest class with light armor however. You really notice the spell penetration on them and they have the bulkiness to sustain it. But again, only thanks to vampire.

I think I'll try my Alessia's Bulwark + Almalexia's Mercy LA again. Maybe throwing Iceheart as monster set, just to play far away from meta
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Mag needs light armour to be competitive. The reasons for light armour are:
    - crit bonus
    - Penetration (the best pvp offensive stat)
    - Reduced ability cost per light armour piece worn

The foundation for every competitive mag pvp build is to start with 5 light, then coming up with ways to get passable defense, sustain and decent damage.

Best way of looking at it is heavy armour’s passives are equivalent to a full defensive set. Can you get a damage set in heavy that’s equivalent to 5k pen, 20% or so reduced magicka cost and 5k crit? Yea, didn’t think so.

Where people make a mistake is they wear 5x light with no defensive set.

A 5x light armour build with one defensive set will destroy a 5x heavy mag build with all offensive sets.

You can run lower Stam/Mag regen in heavy is about the only Pro
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of a double edged sword with running light and vamp. Mist/undeath saved me from getting swarmed down more then a few times, yet makes a DS-DBoS- execute combo deadly.

Running heavy on a MDK is going to be a stareing contest because all of our costs increased so no spamable, just let a sigh out every templar purge and go back to the carebear stare
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

In CP pvp maybe yea, if you’re running around solo you need to glass canon on live to kill anyone as you’ve been saying.

Damage output is still better 5x L with one defensive set then 5x H with all offensive sets... by quite a bit, so it still comes down to 5x L is better.

Mag builds basicly come down to tank up to your environment in 5x L at all costs.

Think of it this way, from 5x light you get:
    As much crit as 2.5x a crit set bonus
    More pen then from spinners
    More recovery then 2x lines of recovery
    As much cost reduction as that magic mastery set plus being a Breton

You are forgetting about the extra health and mag/stam regen you need to build into light as well. I know for me as a dark elf if I wear a defensive light set I need to probably use all my glyphs as regen glyphs to be able to sustain. So it will come down to does light armor spell pen passive out way the 810 or more spell damage you loose from going light over heavy. In a case such as that I don’t believe so. Once you try to start building tanky in light a lot of times you are better off going heavy if you can get use to how to sustain on heavy because it’s a totally different play style that doesn’t let you spam abilities as much as light.

Overall I do think light is stronger if you build to light armors strength which is damage and sustain. For defense I would usually throw on pirate skeleton or bloodspawn and that’s usually enough defense when combined with shields and other class abilities while only being a slight damage loss. If you want another defense set on top of that it’s probably better to go heavy next patch. The loss of a magicka sustain set for a defensive set comes at more of a overall damage loss than people realize. If i give up BTB for swift not only do I lose all the damage it provides I also lose all the sustain as well and it’s almost impossible to gain back and keep competitive damage. In no cp Cyrodiil I think light will be better in all situations because of the cost reduction.
    Edited by thankyourat on August 7, 2019 2:10AM
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do pretty well on my Warden in Light Armor. Shield with Trellis, Ice Fortress, Shimmering, Life Giver and Bloodspawn does wonders for me. All Max Mag and Arcane.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played around with heavy armor magicka setups a little in the past, and was never impressed at all in no-CP. Even with the incoming nerfs to survivability, I think most of us will still be better off switching to a light armor defensive 5 piece if necessary, rather than trying to shift to heavy armor - there just aren't good enough sets there for magicka builds.

My biggest concern on this front, which I can't really test on PTS due to BGs not happening, is how survivability + sustain + worthwhile damage will be achieved on a Magicka Necromancer in no-CP. Relying on Protective + Pirate Skeleton is no longer going to be viable, and using up both 5 piece sets for defense + sustain is going to leave your DOTs (which you'll 100% need to rely on) being fairly weak.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which sets do you all recommend for NO-CP/BGs for mag DK/TP/NB/WRD?
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

MagDk can’t go wrong Spinners Bright Throat’s.
  • NekoN3ko
    NekoN3ko
    ✭✭✭
    MagDK all the way... Tanky and really good damage witht the right setup.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bright throat and curse eater is performing really well for me
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    I play my Magicka Warden with light armor. I can’t sustain in heavy armor and the damage isn’t even that great outside of light.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play Magplar in light Armor and do just fine so sounds like a L2P issue on your end.
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently playing light sorcerer healer with no shield and one defensive set. Survivability is very high.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All my magicka builds use light armour. I don't mind heavy on Templar though.
    PC EU
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    I play Magplar in light Armor and do just fine so sounds like a L2P issue on your end.

@Vlad9425 you main a Nightblade so stop polluting other threads so nothing get buffed and you can keep playing your OP Stamblade

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/479956/the-new-grim-focus#latest

You're just another troll spotted trying to keep down other classes.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    Vlad9425 wrote: »

@Vlad9425 you main a Nightblade so stop polluting other threads so nothing get buffed and you can keep playing your OP Stamblade

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/479956/the-new-grim-focus#latest

You're just another troll spotted trying to keep down other classes.

You’d have to be completely delusional to believe Stamblade is OP compared to all the other classes in the game. It’s one of the hardest classes to play so if you’re dying to them it means you are facing a good player that would also kill you on any other class. Also my point about Magplar in light Armor still stands. The only troll here is you and that profile picture suits you very well.
  • RighteousBacon
    RighteousBacon
    ✭✭✭✭
    My magdk runs light and it’s the strongest I’ve ever felt on magdk. So there. Think outside the box, maybe you’ll figure it out.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magdk runs light and it’s the strongest I’ve ever felt on magdk. So there. Think outside the box, maybe you’ll figure it out.

yeah because of dots. MagDK however, has never had to rely heavily on harness for survivability like some other classes. and right now shields are only really usable by sorcs...... so yeah....

ZOS really just needs to undo all the nerfs on shields and start from scratch. this is getting ridiculous.
    Edited by Lucky28 on August 28, 2019 11:42PM
    Invictus
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    So I have a sorc and prefer light armour and spells and staves . If any devs see this forum, please fix things so that this can be reliable in pvp. I have no inclination to wear either medium nor heavy on my sorc, and the way this is going - so long the all bragged about "play as you wish" fairy-tale. Not cool. Very not cool. It appears only a few play-styles are reliable in pvp, and I dislike all stamina builds, all melee and bows for my character - however I do enjoy pvp. So it appears I cannot have a proper sorc (that is to say "as I like") unless I chop it up and cripple it with one of these - why? (and no this is not a question for the players to answer, as I've made my research and I know the current answer to my "why" - more of a rhetorical one so that something may be done about it). Right now all pvp feels like a hack and slash idiocy in which swords and hammers and shields rule along the occasional bow. No point in creating a magical world if you'r gonna make it all ... ordinary and human. Just saying.
    Edited by Erissime on May 12, 2020 1:47AM
  • JWillCHS
    JWillCHS
    ✭✭✭
    Erissime wrote: »
    So I have a sorc and prefer light armour and spells and staves . If any devs see this forum, please fix things so that this can be reliable in pvp. I have no inclination to wear either medium nor heavy on my sorc, and the way this is going - so long the all bragged about "play as you wish" fairy-tale. Not cool. Very not cool. It appears only a few play-styles are reliable in pvp, and I dislike all stamina builds, all melee and bows for my character - however I do enjoy pvp. So it appears I cannot have a proper sorc (that is to say "as I like") unless I chop it up and cripple it with one of these - why? (and no this is not a question for the players to answer, as I've made my research and I know the current answer to my "why" - more of a rhetorical one so that something may be done about it). Right now all pvp feels like a hack and slash idiocy in which swords and hammers and shields rule along the occasional bow. No point in creating a magical world if you'r gonna make it all ... ordinary and human. Just saying.

Dude. You have to get more creative with your builds. I have nothing but light armor builds I've been testing on the PTS.

There are going to be a lot of viable combinations far beyond just two 5 piece sets and a monster set. Mythic items change thing. You also might want to consider 3 piece sets. And arena weapons will be more accessible.

Set combinations will be more diverse this patch in my opinion! There Potentates, The 2 piece bonus on Death Wind, crafting Fortified Brass in light armor, Buffer of the Swift, critical resistance light armor sets, double bar Wizard's Riposte, using Nord in PvP, Psjic ulti, etc. You can even increase physical resistance while wearing light armor using your champion points.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

This post is to let you know that we've felt it necessary to put this thread down, as it seemed to have died some time ago. At this time we'd like to try and keep Draugr threads from roaming around the front page, pushing down newer and more lively threads.

Thank you for understanding!
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.