The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tank Resistance

• msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honeslty, your build seems fine, and it's good enough for you to farm for Alkosh, the gold standard tank set. I wouldn't go too overboard in your stat pools til you get your end game gear setup, which is probably gonna include Alkosh. To reiterate some of the key points above that I second:

-for HP, around 35k is perfect (I personally like to be between 38k-40k). Running a 50k+ tank means you've overcommitted to hp and undercommitted to something else.
    -Shoot for the resist cap in the hardest content, which is 33k (fully buffed).
    -Endgame tanking is all about being a buffbot, so drop selfish sets. This is why Bloodspawn, Plague Doctor, etc. aren't optimal because they do not do anything to buff your team.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everybody!

I'd like to unpack the idea of "diminishing returns" a little bit more. As I see it, and again please correct me if I'm wrong:
    • Every investment of CP is subject to diminishing returns in its primary benefit. (Are there any exceptions I'm overlooking?)
    • Some investments can get zero return, because of a hard cap. Resistances are the main example.
    • As long as you're below hard cap, resistances are oddly subject to INCREASING returns. Increasing mitigation from 0% to 5% reduces your damage by 5%, but increasing it from 45% to 50% lowers your damage by over 9%.
    • If outright damage reduction (as opposed to resistances) were ever additive, it would also in effect be subject to increasing returns. But I'm not aware of any cases where it still is. (Am I overlooking any? Perhaps in the area of blocking?)

As far as I'm aware, the only thing you gotta watch out for is the bolded part (bold added by me). Mitigation, reduction, resistance, and protection all mean different things and are put into the damage formula in different places. It depends very much so on the skill how it scales. From what I'm reading, you're talking about damage reduction as in the major or minor protection buff in the bolded part. As far as I've looked into it, there aren't any times where the more you invest into that the less damage you'll take (although I may have overlooked something myself). Blocking is a special case I'm not sure how to classify, but as far as passive stats go, there does come a point at which it's not worth putting more points into damage reduction because it'll get you very little in return, unless you're just trying to max defenses as much as you can.

For my healer tank for example, I only want to get to the bare minimum of defensive stats needed to be an effective tank, and then everything else is going to spell power and similar stats to increase my healing done (which does incidentally make me more tanky). On my Warden tank, I put everything into defense. Even if a supposed 6% damage reduction only gives me an actual damage reduction of 2%, I don't care about doing damage so I go with the 2% even if I could get more bang for my buck putting those points in damage or stamina recovery or something.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.