Maintenance for the week of May 17:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The Blackwood Chapter and Update 30 are now available for testing on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts/

The why of pets?

  • Xerikten
    Xerikten
    ✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    Pet classes (permanent aimbots for the most part) are in these games and have been from the beginning to allow weak players to play the game. By weak, I mean in terms of computer, connection, ability/disability, newbishness, not just bad players. Grudgingly, they are a good thing in games when done correctly.

    Personally, I would love to see a strong game with no pet classes, but that's likely pie in the sky at this point. Pet classes allow the Walmart and other masses to play and that's good for revenues.

    Pet classes should never be in the top tier of strong builds in PVE or PVP in any game, and that's just another one of the long list of design fails in this game. When pet classes are too powerful for their intended purpose, strong, tryhard players will end up using what is intended for weak players and gaining an unfair edge over those who don't crutch on a pet class.

    By having such a high % of classes as pet classes, ESO instantly brands itself as a casual game overall. ALL of the classes introduced to the game have been pet classes, so when fanbois talk about "skill ceilings" and other jargon in a game like this, it's a laff riot.

    you have not been playing mmo's very long have you? I wouldn't call eq and eq2 easy games as they both have several pet classes. these two games alone have the game difficulty and complexity many of you here would be challenged to play yet today. in those games topping the raid dps chart for any class played took skill. just hitting one or two skills and letting your pet auto attack didn't cut it and it is still that way. today in eq2 dps is now measured in the BILLIONS. skill is involved there as pet positioning, pet gearing(eq1), pet target changing and etc etc isn't something one learns easily if at all.

    I do agree that eso pet classes are a joke but so is all of its classes too. I am here for the quests and am taking a break from chasing carrots.
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mik195 wrote: »
    Maybe it's how I have my view set up, but the thing I dislike about non combat pets is that they are always behind me so I never see them being cute. Same with mounts that leave behind glowing footprints. My 3rd person view on console seems to be a lot closer in than what I see streamers having.

    It will be.... you can change that if you like....
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't personally favour pets being deactivated in towns unless mounts were too.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why all the defense? Why do you need two freakin pets following you at all times blocking everyones screen?! If you’re crafting they are useless, if you’re stealing they are useless, anything OTHER than combat and they are useless! Make them go away out of courtesy at least. YOU’RE BLOCKIN THE DAMN VIEW!
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boyfriend doesn't like cosmetic pets so whenever he gets them from crates, he wishes he could trade them in for gems for something he WOULD use.

    But he is ok with my pet being out. I always have one and I switch between them all the time. One day I would feel like having my Dro M'athra cub out and then the next, my little lizard.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • corpseblade
      corpseblade
      ✭✭✭
      buttaface wrote: »
      Pet classes (permanent aimbots for the most part) are in these games and have been from the beginning to allow weak players to play the game. By weak, I mean in terms of computer, connection, ability/disability, newbishness, not just bad players. Grudgingly, they are a good thing in games when done correctly.

      Personally, I would love to see a strong game with no pet classes, but that's likely pie in the sky at this point. Pet classes allow the Walmart and other masses to play and that's good for revenues.

      Pet classes should never be in the top tier of strong builds in PVE or PVP in any game, and that's just another one of the long list of design fails in this game. When pet classes are too powerful for their intended purpose, strong, tryhard players will end up using what is intended for weak players and gaining an unfair edge over those who don't crutch on a pet class.

      By having such a high % of classes as pet classes, ESO instantly brands itself as a casual game overall. ALL of the classes introduced to the game have been pet classes, so when fanbois talk about "skill ceilings" and other jargon in a game like this, it's a laff riot.

      What does this even mean? Do you think ESO, WoW, EQ, EQ2, Age of Conan, LOTRO, etc. created pet classes to be easier than other classes? That they have no intention of balancing pet classes with other classes? That seems counterintuitive with all the changes to classes that go on as the games progress.

      Who are Walmart and the other masses? It sounds insulting. Why shouldn't pet classes exist if balanced properly? Why are you calling them a crutch? Not everyone plays the same way. Enforcing your idea of how a person "should" play makes people unhappy. It's a game. Elitism has no place here. It's fun not work. If a pet class is offered, of course people will play it. And some will play it better than others, but most will play it because it is fun for them.
    • SassiestAssassin
      SassiestAssassin
      ✭✭✭
      mairwen85 wrote: »
      Would be nice if non combat pets had an inventory you could use as overflow - - maybe send to town to sell or buy supplies. They could have added a pet trainer that increases the carry weight and speed of return... But alas! I guess zos solved that with 5k merchant and banker, so we likely won't see such a thing.

      I want to send my bear shopping :/
      Edited by SassiestAssassin on August 1, 2019 1:53PM
      *slams a gallon of Respecting Support Roles juice on the table* Take a sip, babes.
    • buttaface
      buttaface
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Xerikten wrote: »
      you have not been playing mmo's very long have you? I wouldn't call eq and eq2 easy games as they both have several pet classes. these two games alone have the game difficulty and complexity many of you here would be challenged to play yet today. in those games topping the raid dps chart for any class played took skill. just hitting one or two skills and letting your pet auto attack didn't cut it and it is still that way. today in eq2 dps is now measured in the BILLIONS. skill is involved there as pet positioning, pet gearing(eq1), pet target changing and etc etc isn't something one learns easily if at all.

      I do agree that eso pet classes are a joke but so is all of its classes too. I am here for the quests and am taking a break from chasing carrots.

      Twenty years. You gave one example, and it didn't even invalidate any of my claims about pet classes, ignored most of my point actually.

    • buttaface
      buttaface
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What does this even mean?

      The claims in the post are crystal clear and written on an 8th grade level, sorry if they elude you.
      Do you think ESO, WoW, EQ, EQ2, Age of Conan, LOTRO, etc. created pet classes to be easier than other classes?

      Yes, that's why they are in these games, for people who want or need an aimbot to play the game for them.
      That they have no intention of balancing pet classes with other classes? That seems counterintuitive with all the changes to classes that go on as the games progress.

      Didn't post anything like the above, and speaking of "what does this even mean?"
      Who are Walmart and the other masses? It sounds insulting.

      Computer games used to be mostly hobbyists and college students back in the day. No longer. I shop at Walmart, and if you are insulted, that's on you.
      Why are you calling them a crutch?

      Because as overused as the fanboi lingo "crutch" is in these games, pet classes are the very definition of it. See "1 bar VMA pet sorc build" and realize that pet classes being a crutch in these games is a fact, not an opinion.

      Rest of post is nonresponsive.
    • DR4GONFL1
      DR4GONFL1
      ✭✭✭✭
      I have a pet sorc and it takes a few seconds to deactivate them before entering a town, visiting a guild trader or whatever. Its just the respectful thing to do because I hate having a flying pet block my view or ability to click on an npc, trader or whoever. I have a ton of pies and mud balls for this reason alone the pie being my personal favorite.
    • Easily_Lost
      Easily_Lost
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      If you are on PC you may want to try the new Addon PetKennel ( https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2428-PetKennel.html ).

      It will dismiss your combat pet as well as your non-combat pet when you visit NPC, crafting stations, in Delvs ( you can add the option to dismiss your non-combat pet ), as well as some others places via options.
      PC - NA - AD
      PVE & Solo only

      Meet the LOST family: CP 810+ ( only took me 4 years to get to max CP )
      Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf ( knows all traits and most styles )
      Easily Lost II - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf
      Easily Lost V - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf
      Always Lost I - lvl 43 - Warden Redguard
      Forever Lost II - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf

      As you can tell I love Sorcerers and High Elves


      CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    • Easily_Lost
      Easily_Lost
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      daemonios wrote: »
      What are you, a default? Go buy some Clowns and grab yourself some pixels in the Clown Store!

      Where can I buy Clowns?
      PC - NA - AD
      PVE & Solo only

      Meet the LOST family: CP 810+ ( only took me 4 years to get to max CP )
      Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf ( knows all traits and most styles )
      Easily Lost II - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf
      Easily Lost V - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf
      Always Lost I - lvl 43 - Warden Redguard
      Forever Lost II - lvl 50 - Sorcerer High Elf

      As you can tell I love Sorcerers and High Elves


      CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
    • OakShadow1
      OakShadow1
      Soul Shriven
      buttaface wrote: »
      Pet classes (permanent aimbots for the most part) are in these games and have been from the beginning to allow weak players to play the game. By weak, I mean in terms of computer, connection, ability/disability, newbishness, not just bad players. Grudgingly, they are a good thing in games when done correctly.

      Personally, I would love to see a strong game with no pet classes, but that's likely pie in the sky at this point. Pet classes allow the Walmart and other masses to play and that's good for revenues.

      Pet classes should never be in the top tier of strong builds in PVE or PVP in any game, and that's just another one of the long list of design fails in this game. When pet classes are too powerful for their intended purpose, strong, tryhard players will end up using what is intended for weak players and gaining an unfair edge over those who don't crutch on a pet class.

      By having such a high % of classes as pet classes, ESO instantly brands itself as a casual game overall. ALL of the classes introduced to the game have been pet classes, so when fanbois talk about "skill ceilings" and other jargon in a game like this, it's a laff riot.

      U do realise ESO IS a casual game, right? It is designed for those who want to explore and role-play as an adventurer/hero. There is nothing wrong with having pet classes. Not by the game's design and dev's own hopes for this game. Go back to LoL ! This is not a bad design choice either.

      I ve been playing pet sorc ,with 2 pets, for more than a year, always putting my Twingly away when I didn t need it (towns and quests) so I propose to ZoS that everyone who has the option of Attacking Innocents TOGGLED OFF should also receive automated pets removal. Those who wish to keep that option on will be able to defend against guards, thus not have their pets removed.

      OR make pets non-intrusive so that no one can see them during NPC dialogs or in small spaces (such as Banks). This can also go hand-in-hand with "invisible" pets as in: one can look "through" pets and activate whatever it is to activate: NPC, Crafting Station, etc.

      And also, u can just switch to non-pet magsorc, the dps difference is small anyway, especially if you re bad XD
    • corpseblade
      corpseblade
      ✭✭✭
      buttaface wrote: »
      What does this even mean?

      The claims in the post are crystal clear and written on an 8th grade level, sorry if they elude you.
      Do you think ESO, WoW, EQ, EQ2, Age of Conan, LOTRO, etc. created pet classes to be easier than other classes?

      Yes, that's why they are in these games, for people who want or need an aimbot to play the game for them.
      That they have no intention of balancing pet classes with other classes? That seems counterintuitive with all the changes to classes that go on as the games progress.

      Didn't post anything like the above, and speaking of "what does this even mean?"
      Who are Walmart and the other masses? It sounds insulting.

      Computer games used to be mostly hobbyists and college students back in the day. No longer. I shop at Walmart, and if you are insulted, that's on you.
      Why are you calling them a crutch?

      Because as overused as the fanboi lingo "crutch" is in these games, pet classes are the very definition of it. See "1 bar VMA pet sorc build" and realize that pet classes being a crutch in these games is a fact, not an opinion.

      Rest of post is nonresponsive.

      Just curious, did you play WoW and use the site "Elitist Jerks"?

      1. You may write at an eighth grade level, but you are not backing up your statements with fact. All that comes across is that you personally despise pet classes and the people who play them.

      2. If they are purposefully making "aimbots" that should mean that pet classes are easier to play. In fact, in most games (e.g. hunter in WoW) pet classes require just as much skill to master as any other class, perhaps more. Maybe you just don't appreciate the skill required b/c you have a personal dislike for pet classes. Have developers stated they make "aimbots" and for the purposes you describe or is that your assumption?

      3. If pet classes are balanced with other classes, then there should be no problem with their existence. You imply they are easier to play and are chosen for that reason. How could you possibly know the motivations of these players?

      4. Why bring up Walmart and masses in a disparaging way? It is a logical inference from your statements that pet classes are bad, pet classes are chosen by players not as skillful as you, pet classes are made for Walmart and masses. You certainly aren't complimenting the players of pet classes along with assumptions about who plays these classes.

      5. Crutch is disparaging and not a fact. It is an opinion.

      This game has at least three types of players: competitive pvp, end-game pve, and casual. You seem to be assigning the same skill level and goals to each of these type of players if they play a pet class. As well as unknowable, it would seem to be unlikely.
    • Katahdin
      Katahdin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      OP seems to be asking about non combat pets?

      People like them
      They are cute and allow for people to customize their character if they want to.

      As for the combat pets.
      It is really freaking annoying and rude to spend 5 minutes trying to talk to an NPC to turn in pledges or turn in writs but can't because someone went afk with their stupid pet blocking the place.
      Beta tester November 2013
    • NordSwordnBoard
      NordSwordnBoard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭

      Summon a dark spirit to terrify up to 6 enemies, causing them to flee in fear for 3 seconds.

      Conjure a ghostly spirit to do your bidding and stay by your side for 16 seconds. The spirit heals you or the lowest health ally around you every 2 seconds, restoring 245 health. Creates a corpse on death.

      Only one of these is a crime. It's not the one that terrifies people.

      Bone Pirate changes you into a skeleton, Necro armor makes a corpse but is legal, becoming a goliath is illegal, becoming a werewolf is legal. The werewolf consumes corpses; eating the dead is cool just don't use the dead.

      It feels unfair when a class (forewarned or not) is subjected to different rules for arguably the same or very similar offenses. Lore arguments become flimsy compared with existing player vampires and werewolves as supposed abominations.

      The Necromancer acts being illegal just needs to go, the flavor it adds clashes with the existing flavors already established in the game.

      Who would actually miss or have a problem with necro criminal acts going ignored with all the other similar, "questionable" acts? I feel like we have a half finished mechanic imposed on only one class, while other classes enjoy skills that should be treated the same without any drawbacks.
      "You get that blithe assumption that the status quo will always remain - or that this guy is so bad he's got to go. Neither are necessarily true, nor necessarily false." - Michael Kozak
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭


      The Necromancer acts being illegal just needs to go, the flavor it adds clashes with the existing flavors already established in the game.

      Who would actually miss or have a problem with necro criminal acts going ignored with all the other similar, "questionable" acts? I feel like we have a half finished mechanic imposed on only one class, while other classes enjoy skills that should be treated the same without any drawbacks.

      Or, they could make turning into a werewolf near guards/citizens a criminal act. Same goes for using vampire abilities.
      [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have seen people suggest that they shrink the Matriarchs. Has ZOS ever given any reason for not doing this?

      Considering those that are already challenged to take a step or two to the side so they can interact with the shrine or crafting station would still be blocked by the pet.

      I have played this game for over 5 years. Do writs on multiple characters each day and usually in the popular areas since it is fastest and have not found this to be an overwhelming issue. The rare occurrence I am blocked I just take a step to the side. Cannot recall a time it did not work so it has to be rare.
    • Androconium
      Androconium
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      zaria wrote: »
      Nestor wrote: »
      The Cosmetic non combat pets have no clipping so dont affect anything.

      I agree that Matriarchs need to go Roost somewhere while the player is in a town.
      Having them land would resolve the issue and be very cute.
      They could walk but will fly if you run then settle down.
      They would land as idle animation outside of dungeons, trial and similar. The healing would still work if grounded.

      Players being able to kill other player's annoying sorc pets would be very cute also.
    • jainiadral
      jainiadral
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Personally, I find combat pet classes more fun to play. I'm not a fan of the everything-in-your-face, mouse-button-smash style of combat here, so anything that helps me take a step away is welcome.

      And I love mini-pets. Most of them are adorable. And they're permanently summoned here so I don't have to remember to click through convoluted menus (SWL, SWTOR) or carry a bunch of stuff in my inventory (SWTOR, GW2) to remember to summon them.

      Plus I'm a huge fan of party-based RPGs. Since I can't have an NPC squad or companion with me, I'll take my menagerie.
    • buttaface
      buttaface
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @buttaface Yea you're right, I've never seen another class in ESO with a one bar build complete VMA....oh wait, I have. Also your statement IS an opinion, not a fact.

      You obviously dislike pet classes and that manifests itself by you insulting those who use them by implying said class takes less skill to play, which by the way, is an absurd notion. Being derogatory also makes your opinion less valid because you clearly have an axe to grind and this affects your ability to judge things objectively.

      You are in no way qualified to say it's a fact that's all pets classes in all MMO's are easier to play than regular classes. That's my opinion, and if you don't like it, you know what you can do.

      Pet classes, in ESO or any other game that seeks to capture weak player revenues with them, take less skill to play. That's a fact, and anyone who denies it is embarrassing themselves in print.
    • buttaface
      buttaface
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Just curious, did you play WoW and use the site "Elitist Jerks"?

      5. Crutch is disparaging and not a fact. It is an opinion.

      This game has at least three types of players: competitive pvp, end-game pve, and casual. You seem to be assigning the same skill level and goals to each of these type of players if they play a pet class. As well as unknowable, it would seem to be unlikely.[/quote]

      I ditched WOW after playing it for 3 months after release as an EQ type treadmill game that could be run on crappy Walmart computers. I came from the player asset control PvP branch of these games, displaced by WOW and its dumbing down of the genre. Pet classes either weren't in those better games at all or were weak by design.

      Rest of personal attacks, non sequiture, straw man and ad hom ignored.

      Pet classes are a crutch for weaker players. That's a fact.
    Sign In or Register to comment.