Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The why of pets?

SocialAssassin
SocialAssassin
✭✭✭
Why are pets so important in this game? They don't really do anything. They're cosmetic at best. Now if they were combative pets that would make sense. And why? Do people have to have the activated in town? I wish ZOS would make it so they were automatically deactivated in town. It's so annoying when you talking to an NPC and you have it flapping in your face. I am probably the only one in the entire game that doesn't have their pet activated. And another thing why can't ZOS allow hirelings instead of Pets? I understand they're useful to magic users. But other than that. I find them to be an annoyance. I guess I am alone in this thought.
“I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Twilight Matriarch you are complaining about IS a combat pet.

Go play a Pet Sorc or a Warden and then tell us how they are "cosmetic at best."
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 31, 2019 5:18PM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc, Warden, Necromancers, and Nightblades all have hirelings, i.e., combat pets.

All players have access to the Banker, Merchant, and Smuggler hireling.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big flappy bird is a combat pet and is very helpful to a pet sorc.
    Out of respect for my fellow players I dismiss my pet when I am in town.
  • SocialAssassin
    SocialAssassin
    ✭✭✭
    Kagukan wrote: »
    The big flappy bird is a combat pet and is very helpful to a pet sorc.
    Out of respect for my fellow players, I dismiss my pet when I am in town.

Your respect for other players is much appreciated.
    “I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cosmetic non combat pets have no clipping so dont affect anything.

I agree that Matriarchs need to go Roost somewhere while the player is in a town.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think everyone agrees players should unsummon their combat pets in town i.e. the matriarch. I'm not too big of fan of non-combat pets either but not because they're annoying rather they rarely suit my players fashion.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    36y9dv.jpg
    :D:D:D:D

Edited by Girl_Number8 on July 31, 2019 7:34PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like people’s non-combat pets because there’s a lot of variety and, most important, they’re not large things flapping in my way (yes, twilight matriarch). Plus, aren’t the sorc summoned pets daedra? You’d think that would be illegal in most towns...
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    I like people’s non-combat pets because there’s a lot of variety and, most important, they’re not large things flapping in my way (yes, twilight matriarch). Plus, aren’t the sorc summoned pets daedra? You’d think that would be illegal in most towns...
    @ErinM31
    Some daedra like scamps and atronachs, are common for mages who practice conjuration to summon in Elder Scrolls. You see it from Mage Guild members all the time throughout the game series.
    Only time people seem to react is when they start pop up dremoras and other more dangerous daedra. They have a tendency to get a bit worried then, because you don't want the mage to lose control over them so the daedra go all slaughter happy on the nice town folk.
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on August 1, 2019 5:46PM
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I agree that Matriarchs need to go Roost somewhere while the player is in a town.

Can you clarify what you want a Pet Sorc to do in a town where there are quests that require combat, like Daggerfall, Orsinium, Vivec, etc?

Can you clarify what justice system Pet Sorcs should do when attacked by guards in towns, such as if they were trying to steal from safeboxes in areas near crafting stations or in crowded buildings like banks?

Do they just have to suck it up and lose access to that skill because it annoys people?

ESO really isn't built very well for a retroactive "Sorry, you can't have your Twilight (or scamp/bear) anymore" change. I would hope that ZOS can come up with a better solution to the issues with pets blocking cameras than just taking away combat abilities in towns.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you clarify what you want a Pet Sorc to do in a town where there are quests that require combat, like Daggerfall, Orsinium, Vivec, etc?

Can you clarify what justice system Pet Sorcs should do when attacked by guards in towns, such as if they were trying to steal from safeboxes in areas near crafting stations or in crowded buildings like banks?

Do they just have to suck it up and lose access to that skill because it annoys people?

ESO really isn't built very well for a retroactive "Sorry, you can't have your Twilight (or scamp/bear) anymore" change. I would hope that ZOS can come up with a better solution to the issues with pets blocking cameras than just taking away combat abilities in towns.

I mean, the same thing necromancers have to do, I'd imagine.
    Edited by Kel on July 31, 2019 9:39PM
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with @VaranisArano. Personally I don't have any non-combat pets - I don't like them at all following me everywhere. And I always banish my daedra minions back to Oblivion when they're not needed - houses, towns are among such default places. It's not hard for me to open a tab and click on a pet icon to dismiss it. But I think a hotkey could be more convenient for whom it is.
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭

I feel (as a pet sorc) when not in combat, the pets should disappear, then re-appear when combat is initiated. that damn matriarch is why I hardly touch my sorcerer these days. I am more interested in building my other characters than to re-structure him into something other than a pet sorc lol.

Edited by BozzyTheDrummer on July 31, 2019 10:52PM
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »

Necromancers were designed that way.

That's not remotely the same as telling established classes "Sorry, you've been able to use this skill anywhere you like for 2 years/since launch, but now you can't."
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make pets non targetable and all fixed!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is so hard to legislate or enforce courtesy. Any summon user who has been playing for any time knows full well they can be annoying in congested areas/vendors/banks/crafting stations and therefore thoughtfully dismisses them. I confess I'm amazed how much simpler and cleaner this is with the addon 'Pet Dismiss'. My point about the addon is not to tease my friends who don't play on PC but to emphasize that ZOS really should make this simple one hot key press an option in the basic game. That is something unobtrusive that could help at least some. Less players in the same instance might also help.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on July 31, 2019 10:09PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not remotely the same as telling established classes "Sorry, you've been able to use this skill anywhere you like for 2 years/since launch, but now you can't."

Not arguing with you. Just answering the question asked.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because stupids player.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets are useful in combat but drive me nuts when theres a dozen random stationary matriarchs fappin about
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From about the second day I started playing I started dismissing pets as I hit a wayshrine to port back to Vivec City. It only took me that long to realize how obnoxious they were at the crafting stations and banks.

As @AcadianPaladin says, Pet Dismiss is a truly helpful addon. And yes - having a bindable option in game would be really wonderful. Before I found the addon, I dismissed them the hard way.... not that it was all that difficult.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you, a default? Go buy some Clowns and grab yourself some pixels in the Clown Store!
  • Xaramasa
    Xaramasa
    ✭✭✭
    My active pet is always the Clockwork Skeevaton. It's so small people barely notice it. Sometimes, I forget it's even active.

I agree though, the big flappy tormentors and matriarchs often get in the way of things.
  • MojaveHeld
    MojaveHeld
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not really true, at all. Necromancers aren't balanced around not being able to use some of their most important abilities in cities. They're simply forced to suck it up and deal with it, even though it makes things more difficult and less convenient for them. So taking away sorc pets in towns would hardly be unfair compared to that. In fact, it's a lesser amount of abilities for pet sorcs to lose access to in towns than necromancers already have to deal with it. And unlike with necros, there's actually a good gameplay reason to do it (the necro handicap is purely for rp reasons, disabling sorc pets in towns removes the obstacle they represent to other players). So, if anything, taking away sorc pets in towns would be far better gameplay design than what currently happens with necromancers. There are still plenty of valid reasons to be against what was proposed, but what you brought up isn't one of them.
    Edited by MojaveHeld on August 1, 2019 12:07AM
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's how I have my view set up, but the thing I dislike about non combat pets is that they are always behind me so I never see them being cute. Same with mounts that leave behind glowing footprints. My 3rd person view on console seems to be a lot closer in than what I see streamers having.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pet classes (permanent aimbots for the most part) are in these games and have been from the beginning to allow weak players to play the game. By weak, I mean in terms of computer, connection, ability/disability, newbishness, not just bad players. Grudgingly, they are a good thing in games when done correctly.

Personally, I would love to see a strong game with no pet classes, but that's likely pie in the sky at this point. Pet classes allow the Walmart and other masses to play and that's good for revenues.

Pet classes should never be in the top tier of strong builds in PVE or PVP in any game, and that's just another one of the long list of design fails in this game. When pet classes are too powerful for their intended purpose, strong, tryhard players will end up using what is intended for weak players and gaining an unfair edge over those who don't crutch on a pet class.

By having such a high % of classes as pet classes, ESO instantly brands itself as a casual game overall. ALL of the classes introduced to the game have been pet classes, so when fanbois talk about "skill ceilings" and other jargon in a game like this, it's a laff riot.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why are pets so important in this game? They don't really do anything. They're cosmetic at best.

Immediately summons a mount and places himself in front of Vvardenfell banker.

Turns and posts - Why are MOUNTS so important to this game! I mean they are cosmetic at best. Couldn't we just put points into run speed and when out of combat we run faasssstteer?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MojaveHeld wrote: »

That's not really true, at all. Necromancers aren't balanced around not being able to use some of their most important abilities in cities. They're simply forced to suck it up and deal with it, even though it makes things more difficult and less convenient for them. So taking away sorc pets in towns would hardly be unfair compared to that. In fact, it's a lesser amount of abilities for pet sorcs to lose access to in towns than necromancers already have to deal with it. And unlike with necros, there's actually a good gameplay reason to do it (the necro handicap is purely for rp reasons, disabling sorc pets in towns removes the obstacle they represent to other players). So, if anything, taking away sorc pets in towns would be far better gameplay design than what currently happens with necromancers. There are still plenty of valid reasons to be against what was proposed, but what you brought up isn't one of them.

My point was more that while Necromancers launched with a mechanic that deprives them of some of their skills, something that is made clear upfront from the beginning in the character screen at Elsweyr launch...

In contrast, Sorcs and Wardens have been able to use their pets whenever, wherever they like, since launch and since Morrowind, respectively. This would be a retroactive change for those classes and players, which is a clear difference from the necromancer situation. It requires removing existing functionality from two classes - not for "balance" reasons - purely because players are annoyed.

So the "but Necromancers..." excuse doesnt fly. A class that has restricted ability use from its launch is NOT the same as advocating for taking away abilities that two classes have been able to use whenever they want for 2+ and 5+ years.

I should hope that ZOS can come up with a better solution to pet collision and camera blocking than that.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MojaveHeld wrote: »

My point was more that while Necromancers launched with a mechanic that deprives them of some of their skills, something that is made clear upfront from the beginning in the character screen at Elsweyr launch...

In contrast, Sorcs and Wardens have been able to use their pets whenever, wherever they like, since launch and since Morrowind, respectively. This would be a retroactive change for those classes and players, which is a clear difference from the necromancer situation. It requires removing existing functionality from two classes - not for "balance" reasons - purely because players are annoyed.

So the "but Necromancers..." excuse doesnt fly. A class that has restricted ability use from its launch is NOT the same as advocating for taking away abilities that two classes have been able to use whenever they want for 2+ and 5+ years.

I should hope that ZOS can come up with a better solution to pet collision and camera blocking than that.

So you’re saying the humble NPC’s of Tamriel wouldn’t take offence to plethora of daedra amongst them? Players will adapt, they always do. And it’ll be up front for new players
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because stupids player.

Clearly, I meant the female high elf sorcs dressed in robes and THAT hat, with both combat pets out, riding their latest model Indrik with matching Indrik Jr. pet. All flowing across the hillsides in an unmistakable display of:

"It's all about meeeeeeeeeeeeee" and "figjam!"
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Having them land would resolve the issue and be very cute.
    They could walk but will fly if you run then settle down.
    They would land as idle animation outside of dungeons, trial and similar. The healing would still work if grounded.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.