Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ideas/themes

StabbityDoom
StabbityDoom
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I think the hardest part for me in building something is coming up with a theme or an idea I want to work off of. What usually do you do for inspiration on that?

[trying to come up with something now]
PC/NA
EHT zealot
streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a few things that I do when I am stuck for ideas and need inspiration! I shall list them, hopefully one may come in handy for you :smile:

Watch a movie or play another game for a bit, there have been many times that I have been watching movies or playing a different game and ideas have grown in my mind!

Visit other peoples houses, or get a group together and do a house tour. So much inspiration can be had from looking at what others have created!

Have a walk around and look at buildings already in the game, there may be aspects of a building that already exists that you like, but things you would want to change about it!

Have a little read online about different types of medieval businesses and/or home styles!

Do a google image search on particular types of things, if you already have a general theme in mind, or just general fantasy images. An in game friend reccomended in Discord just a couple of days ago, that if you type 'Wallpaper' after searching for fantasy images, it seems to come up with better results, for example 'Fantasy Tavern Wallpaper'.
    Edited by Elara_Northwind on July 30, 2019 8:20PM
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Visit other peoples houses, or get a group together and do a house tour. So much inspiration can be had from looking at what others have created!

Have a walk around and look at buildings already in the game, there may be aspects of a building that already exists that you like, but things you would want to change about it!
    Agree with Elara, and with those two especially; it really helps to broaden your perspective that way, I often find completely new ways to look at the ingame houses or furniture afterwards! Seeing the creative usage of items in unexpected ways, or a house with a completely different layout and vibe from what you're used to can really get your creative juices flowing :smiley:

I also often get inspiration from ingame items that I normally neglect, or just never really saw before. Browse through the furnishing catalogue and see if some interesting furniture or colour or style catches your eye. And then build your theme around that, like, that thing looks interesting, what kind of build would use that, what else could I combine it with, etc. You would be surprised by all sorts of furnishings you can find that help set the tone for an entire build!

Another way to look at it is to consider function instead of form. This is a bit more RP-oriented, but anything goes and it's all up to you so that's cool! What sort of functions would people use a house for? Is it a business - a bakery, flower shop, magical emporium, a crafter's corner with a smithy, etc? Is it a place of worship or learning or government - an academy, a chapel, a museum, a graveyard, a Jarls' Moot chamber? Is it residential and who would live there - a cozy house for a family of limited wealth, barracks for a squad of soldiers, an isolated hermit's abode for a magical researcher?

So get inspired, experiment, let your imagination run wild! :smile:
  • Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elara has pretty much covered the major points of inspiration, there’s one thing I do sometimes and that is just to randomly start placing things until an idea comes to mind of what I actually want to do (not the best and sometimes the most time consuming and mind numbing inspiration route)

Sometimes just looking through the furnishing purchase tab and looking at what is available can get me going (e.g. when I saw the sand coloured rubble piles and the rock debris field, it gave me my inspiration for my current dawnlight palace project, which is basically the palace defences falling to pieces and barricades etc.)

Otherwise I prefer to watch/visit other people’s houses, or places in game (as in non-house places).

S.A.96
    Edited by Shadow_Akula on July 31, 2019 5:26PM
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think inspiration for me comes more from just tinkering - especially with EHT. I play around to see what kind of potential there is with arrangements of furniture items, or triggers and such in EHT and usually an idea pops up from there. then I'll usually come up with an idea for a build centered around that idea.

Like my Pretty Deadly Arena (https://youtu.be/RfSojXJDp54 Now sadly defunct). It started as me playing around with switches, triggers, and animations in EHT, but once it was completed I started thinking it would be great to have this home that's super pretty and sweet looking, but when you throw some switches it transformed into a pvper's training ground. So my Villa still contains secret areas, hidden combat dummies, etc.

What I really want to do is create a build centered around the T.A.R.D.I.S. device (https://youtu.be/EY6XppNqDFc) I've built. Sort of like a transportation hub that really takes advantage of EHT's portal and trigger systems.

I've got Gnome cred yo. lol

Note to self: Need to work on that bi-directional, multi-floor elevator! :smiley:
    Edited by mayasunrising on August 5, 2019 4:17AM
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez