Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Power Surge and Crit Surge Balancing Idea (Poll)

MashmalloMan
MashmalloMan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The ability is not available, so some assumptions need to be made. I wanted to illustrate how I think it could function properly, without being broken or harmful to the game, but enabling Sorc healers with a much needed tool to their kit.

Image from @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on PTS:
quote="Lightspeedflashb14_ESO;c-6244305"]the new tooltips from the pts-

QjcH3Oj.jpg[/quote]

My idea for the tooltip:
SRn80qM.png

Here are the valid concerns I've seen:
  1. Power Surge offers too much healing, passively available to Damage Dealers when intended for Healers.
  2. The heal should not stack with other Sorcs.
  3. Radius needs to be competitive if it's centered on the caster, but not ridiculous.

My answer:
  1. Power Surge heals should only be activated via CRIT HEALING, remove the DAMAGE aspect and allowing Sorc Healers to use that morph optimally instead of Sorc DD. With that change in mind, both morphs should offer Major Sorcery and Major Brutality. Since both morphs will be used by Mag and Sta, make the heals dynamically scale based on highest stats.
  2. Like Echoing Vigor, Power Surge should have a radius where anyone within that radius is only effected by the Sorc with the higher duration left on the timer. For example, Sorc A has 15s left and Sorc B has 30s left, Sorc B is only able to apply heals to allies, but Sorc A can still heal themselves with the ability.
  3. I believe a happy radius for the Sorc would be 15m, this is slightly above the 12m of Ritual of Retribution, because it moves with the caster at all times I Healers are usually behind players.

Keep in mind, numbers aren't perfect and it's up to ZOS to balance, but the idea behind the morphs is whats important. If you agree with the functionality, but disagree with the numbers, comment as such to not skew the poll.

Edit: Reverted the reduction of healing on the Power Surge morph, the condition that it is proc'ed on only crit healing is enough.
Edited by MashmalloMan on July 30, 2019 10:16PM
PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit

Power Surge and Crit Surge Balancing Idea (Poll) 42 votes

Yay
30%
xaraanmmtaniacDisgracefulMindDerrawildbear247NyladreasenzoisadogRunefang_Ahala_MashmalloManGiljabrardarkblue5danara 13 votes
Nay
69%
DeathStalkerliningtonsweldingb16_ESOJacozillaactoshVahrokhscratch45Emma_OverloadVaohGoodFella146ChunkyCatSnowZeniaTimeDazzlerEllyhanRouDeRKingExecrationArtim_XDollyAhnogShenzikatorga 29 votes
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Humm dont get it. So you need to heal others first before getting the heal? It´s a lame heal, it would work only in Sorc healers who will be really far from meta.

TBh, i´d rather change Power Surge.

TWo morphs, one for stamina, other for magicka

No Major Brutality/Sorcery, rather some resource sustains (stamina/magicka) every time you crit, and some heal aswell.

Numbers could be around 2-2,5k health and 100 magicka/Stamina.

This would work as selfheal and more important, some sustain to a class that really needs it.
    Edited by Saril_Durzam on July 30, 2019 9:45PM
  • Vortigaunt
    Vortigaunt
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    So you’d basically straight up kill a morph and force both stam and mag to use the same morph
  • Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to fix the scaling for crit surge as well. It currently only benefits from mag cp (elfborn, etc.) and not stam cp despite providing major brutality and being designed for stamina builds.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Humm dont get it. So you need to heal others first before getting the heal? It´s a lame heal, it would work only in Sorc healers who will be really far from meta.

No Major Brutality/Sorcery, rather some resource sustains (stamina/magicka) every time you crit, and some heal aswell.

Thats exactly why they're changing the ability, for Sorc Healers because they lack an in class hot, there's no reason for Mag Sorcs to get a watered down version of Crit surge like it is on live.

ZOS is going forward with this, so I just want to make sure it doesn't break anything. In all honesty I'd rather have them change an Encase morph to a ground hot, but here we are.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Abhaya wrote: »
    They need to fix the scaling for crit surge as well. It currently only benefits from mag cp (elfborn, etc.) and not stam cp despite providing major brutality and being designed for stamina builds.

Magicka builds with spell pots DO use Critical Surge... I know I do. It's a Magicka spell that heals, so it makes sense to scale off Magicka CP.

If they change anything, they should make it scale off whichever stat is higher.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Vortigaunt wrote: »
    So you’d basically straight up kill a morph and force both stam and mag to use the same morph
    I don't get the obsession of people wanting different morphs for essentially the same utility.

On live, Crit surge heals more, Power surge heals less, but offers the Major Sorcery buff which in most cases is redundant. There is already a useless morph.

If 1 morph is now for group healing, allow the other morph for stronger self heals for Mag and Sta at the same time.

If it goes live, mag Sorc dps will just use Power Surge without the need for a dedicated Mag Sorc healer.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a pretty fair change to me. The main exception I think people might take is that I hear from my healer friends that building for crit as a healer is generally a bad choice— you want consistently potent heals, not random extremely bursty heals, and thus might not get as much use out of it as your typical magsorc does with the live version.

When I first read the hint at the change in the Known Issues section of the notes I imagined they’d made it something like wardens’ leeching vines, as in an effect applied to a target, but otherwise the same as live (crit procs self heal). I don’t think that’d make it a particularly popular choice, but if they went that route instead I figure we won’t have to worry about sorc dps running it and replacing healers. Even if a dps can sustain casting it on each of the other group members every 30 seconds, that’s taking a lot out of their rotation to do so.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I'm not on board with OP's idea because it sounds like another nerf for Power Surge when it is ALREADY facing a growing gap with Critical Surge's healing strength.

Also, if they are going to nerf Power Surge this badly for solo players, they should add the Spell Power buff to Critical Surge and make it so it heals off critical heals as well as critical damage.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • kaizen914
    kaizen914
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    No - this is a straight up nerf disguised as a suggestion.

Reduce the number of targets healed by the new power surge. If it's too much for PvP adjust through battle spirit.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'm not on board with OP's idea because it sounds like another nerf for Power Surge when it is ALREADY facing a growing gap with Critical Surge's healing strength.

Also, if they are going to nerf Power Surge this badly for solo players, they should add the Spell Power buff to Critical Surge and make it so it heals off critical heals as well as critical damage.

I made a point of saying that both morphs should dynamically scale and both morphs should offer Major Brutality and Major Sorcery in the OP.

Allowing Crit Surge to heal off Healing seems a bit strong to me, even if I'd love it. The idea that you need to be in active combat laying down dots or in the thick of things to get the heals is what makes it unique.

Edit: Maybe the nerf to the Heal on Power Surge is a bit much if it can't stack and only proc's off crit healing. Fair enough.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on July 30, 2019 10:02PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Sorc Healers dont need another hot, they need lots of things.

If we´re changing a skill, we need to give solutions to a role we can accomplish. which is DD. Waste skills on Sorc healers in the current state of healing is... well, as i said, waste.

Rather get some selfheal with sustain. Will be way more useful to Sorcs than a mediocre tool to Sorc healers (who will suck in anyways).
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay

I made a point of saying that both morphs should dynamically scale and both morphs should offer Major Brutality and Major Sorcery in the OP.

Allowing Crit Surge to heal off Healing seems a bit strong to me, even if I'd love it. The idea that you need to be in active combat laying down dots or in the thick of things to get the heals is what makes it unique.

Edit: Maybe the nerf to the Heal on Power Surge is a bit much if it can't stack and only proc's off crit healing. Fair enough.

OK, I'm sorry I misread the picture of Critical Surge! My bad :s
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • darkblue5
    darkblue5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'm yes for the general direction of one morph for healers and one morph for DDs.

Still wonder if changing a morph of Daedric Mines might be a better to give the needed AOE HoT for PvE magsorc kit. It is neat that magsorc healers might have a unique way to achieve the AOE HoT numbers besides a ground targeted AOE. but it may cause more problems than it solves.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Hey, why not a morph for tanks?

Would have same success :P
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    kaizen914 wrote: »
    No - this is a straight up nerf disguised as a suggestion.

Reduce the number of targets healed by the new power surge. If it's too much for PvP adjust through battle spirit.

How exactly is it a nerf when the ability isn't even available yet. My concern was addressing some of the many concerns I've seen and making it fulfill the roll ZOS intends to design it for. There is already a problem of DD's phasing the Healer roll out by each slotting 1 ability. By allowing any Sorc DD to use this ability efficiently from all crit damage you hurt healers instead of offering them something new.
    Sorc Healers dont need another hot, they need lots of things.

If we´re changing a skill, we need to give solutions to a role we can accomplish. which is DD. Waste skills on Sorc healers in the current state of healing is... well, as i said, waste.

Rather get some selfheal with sustain. Will be way more useful to Sorcs than a mediocre tool to Sorc healers (who will suck in anyways).
    Seems like your only concern is the Damage Dealer role if you can't acknowledge that the other roles need more tools. They're going forward with this change whether we like it or not, might as well make sure their intentions are met.

What's the point in adding sustain to Power Surge when they could easily adjust sustain through skill costs or passives.

Restraining Prison is the ability your looking for, it's currently too expensive and less useful than similar tanking abilities. If tanks need a better tool, that ability should be adjusted.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the resistance to these proposed changes, though?

If you currently use crit surge on live, then you’d keep that morph and get the increased healing noted on PTS, so a buff to the current version of the skill.

If you currently use power surge on live, then you can remorph to crit surge to continue to get major sorcery plus get the increased healing of that morph plus get the further increased healing for that morph noted on PTS, so an even bigger buff to the skill compared to the morph you previously used (at the one time possible cost of having to level it if you’d not done so already, which takes what, an hour?).
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    It should heal the lowest health person within range similar to warden lotus flower or dk cauterize. It should NOT heal everyone in the radius. Enough of aoe heals that go through walls causing people to bunch up in pvp and lag the server.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    jypcy wrote: »

If you currently use crit surge on live, then you’d keep that morph and get the increased healing noted on PTS, so a buff to the current version of the skill.

If you currently use power surge on live, then you can remorph to crit surge to continue to get major sorcery plus get the increased healing of that morph plus get the further increased healing for that morph noted on PTS, so an even bigger buff to the skill compared to the morph you previously used (at the one time possible cost of having to level it if you’d not done so already, which takes what, an hour?).

Thank you, exactly my intention between the morphs. Mag Sorc's don't need a neutered Power Surge, Mag Sorcs are already using Crit Surge instead because they get Major Sorcery from pots/entropy and it just does less healing.

Make Crit Surge the self heal and Power Surge the group heal. AKA the balance of Vigor morphs and what should be applied to Regeneration (imo).
    Edited by MashmalloMan on July 30, 2019 11:03PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Cries wrote: »
    It should heal the lowest health person within range similar to warden lotus flower or dk cauterize. It should NOT heal everyone in the radius. Enough of aoe heals that go through walls causing people to bunch up in pvp and lag the server.

Valid points, however:

Warden's get Budding Seeds and Lotus Flower.
    Dk's get Cinder Strom and Cauterize.

Only way I'd agree with you completely is if Sorc was also given a ground aoe hot, but they didn't go that direction.

(I know Cinder Storm, Cauterize and Lotus Flower need changes, but the groundwork is there.)
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

• jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This would work as selfheal and more important, some sustain to a class that really needs it.

No, Major Sorcery/Brutality needs to remain on the skill, because it allows for diversity in PVP and, if someone doesn't want to run weapon/spell power potions, PVE. Look at stamDK, stamplar, stamblade or stamcro which don't have good sources of Major Brutality, they're pigeonholed into running 2H or weapon power pots for such a simple buff, while stamsorc can run Crit Surge, making DW/bow viable.
  • danara
    danara
    ✭✭✭
    Yay
    Vortigaunt wrote: »

You didnt get it, he is basically killing the fact that once again dps ça heal the all group
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    jypcy wrote: »

Why am i against this change? gonna try to be short explaining it.

My main is a healer. Ive seen healing changes and healer is going to be a marginal role. Selfhealing in some classes is so good that is destroying the role. Giving the ability to heal others to DDs is what´s ruining the role. Until there is a big healers tool on Sorcerer, every skill redone for "healers" is a WASTED effort. We would need way more than that. I play a Templar and i have an entire skill line for healing; Sorc doesnt. Even with that entire line, my healer isnt needed in most content. I just dont want to waste time on such things like this one. Its a waste of time. If you want to do a proper Sorc healer, just propose an entire line of morphs, not just this one. If you don´t, then it´s a waste.

On the other part, Sorcerer as DD has been hurted badly on this patch. Not the DPS actually -we will keep the same DPS as before, that is, behind every Stamina and magcro and magplar, and ahead of magden and magblade, probably. Yes, that´s the state of the Sorc - but on selfhealing and survability, with pet and shield nerfs. We are also a bad sustain class. So there are LOTS of issues Sorc has now so be wasting time on subpar roles with no real support from ZoS.

If you want to bring ideas, bring them to improve Sorc DD which wont be on a good spot. Sorc healer is dead, even Templars and Warden healers will have a tough time. Every inch of help should come into give Sorc a reliable selfheal (not others) and sustain.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    jcm2606 wrote: »

No, Major Sorcery/Brutality needs to remain on the skill, because it allows for diversity in PVP and, if someone doesn't want to run weapon/spell power potions, PVE. Look at stamDK, stamplar, stamblade or stamcro which don't have good sources of Major Brutality, they're pigeonholed into running 2H or weapon power pots for such a simple buff, while stamsorc can run Crit Surge, making DW/bow viable.

Entrophy already gives it, and believe me, you will be using all the time, on Stamina and Magicka.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Entrophy already gives it, and believe me, you will be using all the time, on Stamina and Magicka.

Did I Miss entropy giving Major brutality or are you missing his point?
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    Gotta give you my proposal.

SURGE: 2k magicka. Gives you 2k health on crit, either weapon or spell. Last 33 seconds.

POWER SURGE. Converts into stamina. 1,8k stamina. Gives you 2.2k health on weapon crit. Gives 150 stamina every second. Last 33 seconds.

CRITICAL SURGE. Cost stays at 2k magicka. Gives you 2.2k health on weapon crit. Gives 150 magicka every second. Last 33 seconds.

Now, tell me if that wouldnt help Sorc DDs AND HEALERS more than your proposal.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So, which morph of Entropy gives Major Brutality, again?

EDIT: Also, no stamina builds would ever use Entropy. Unlike the new Soul Trap, Entropy's DOT doesn't use your max resource, it just uses max magicka and spell damage. It'll hit very low for stamina, and stamina is going to have to juggle the new Soul Trap with their low max magicka pool.
    Edited by jcm2606 on July 31, 2019 7:29AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    Agree but I think powersurge morph would be too weak. I’d let it heal every second when healing an ally for 1000 hp and for 2000 if the heal was a crit to make the healing gained from it a little more reliable.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stamsorcs with power surge: exists

I guess I'm your new main healer now :)
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nay

EDIT: Also, no stamina builds would ever use Entropy. Unlike the new Soul Trap, Entropy's DOT doesn't use your max resource, it just uses max magicka and spell damage. It'll hit very low for stamina, and stamina is going to have to juggle the new Soul Trap with their low max magicka pool.

Just need to adapt Entrophy so it gives Major Brutality and scales with Stamina aswell. I cannot understand why ZoS dont make general skill true general skills.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just need to adapt Entrophy so it gives Major Brutality and scales with Stamina aswell. I cannot understand why ZoS dont make general skill true general skills.

Because then there's no point in having all these skills. Build diversity gets thrown out the window, for pretty much no reason. While I do think stamina needs a decent generic source of Major Brutality that isn't tied to a particular weapon, I don't think shoehorning it into Entropy is a good idea.