Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO's Performance Improvements Plan"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
fbfffd5d5a7d69a4377480d03dc7c554.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the ESO's Performance Improvements Plan blog article.

We’re working hard to make sure The Elder Scrolls Online runs as best as it possibly can. Read our plan for the game’s upcoming performance improvements from ESO’s Creative Director Rich Lambert and check back monthly for status updates.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one would just like to suggest that, during the month of everyone download again, that you might want to make the daily login rewards reflect that, for some travellers, they may lose several days on the downloading and installing again.

If that makes any sense ...

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Patching Overhaul sounds so delicious.
    PS5 EU.
  • perditioner
    perditioner
    ✭✭✭
    As part of the Q1 2020 Faster-loading art fixtures and characters, can you please, please, please change the load order so that NPCs load before other players? It currently takes more than 2 minutes on PS4/EU (PS4 Pro) to collect pledges as you are waiting for the NPCs to load in, and this is a significant issue if your queue has popped. Not to mention it doubles the chance that you accidentally steal the weapons next to them (who put them there!?). If I'm in a hurry I don't care what players are wearing.

Even if the load times for players are reduced, it still makes no sense to prioritise loading of the players first as I'm much more likey to want to interact with the NPC. This has been and issue and annoyance since launch.
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First - I'm very happy to see posts like this. I'm glad there is visible proof that progress is planned, and that the team is willing to stick their necks out and give an outline of this sort. I also like the format: here's what we're doing, here's what that means, and here's what that means for players. Slick.

Some comments:
    NOTE: Every ESO player, on every platform, will have to re-download the game client when this change happens, probably with the launch of Update 25
    This is going to be brutal for players on metered connections (seemingly most of Australia, for instance), and I hope you can find some methods for helping them ameliorate the sudden hit. Pre-staging blocks of data, salvaging/converting as much existing client data as possible, etc. I don't like the thought of losing guildmates because they just can't afford to re-download the game.
    Account Database “Cold Storage”
    There are millions of accounts in our database. The goal of this task is to split the character database into “active” and “inactive” shards to remove the need to pool all the character records for all logins
    User Experience: Faster account login and character loads
    NOTE: Players logging in for the first time after being inactive for a few years will notice an initial longer load while their account is transferred from inactive to active
    Good! Just remember to let players getting that slow load know that they are being defrosted.

• blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic read. I agree with Pauli above: Listing what each change means for users is immensely helpful and makes the whole process that much more transparent. Well done. And please, release more articles like this in the future.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alright, awesome. Finally got a plan, now let’s see if you can make it happen
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This one would just like to suggest that, during the month of everyone download again, that you might want to make the daily login rewards reflect that, for some travellers, they may lose several days on the downloading and installing again.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

We've passed this feedback along to the team responsible for the daily rewards. Good callout, thanks!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Behind-the-scenes combat ability improvements phase 1
    This is the first of an ongoing initiative to rewrite some of the more consumptive combat abilities to lesson server load
    User Experience: This is the first of many behind-the-scenes combat optimizations and may not have a huge impact, but over time this will lessen the server load and allow smoother and more responsive combat with larger groups
    Some proposals:
    1. Consider decreasing the amount of DoT abilities working simultaneously. Make it so only one DoT from one (player) character could influence any enemy creature (or (enemy) player character) at a given time. If you cast another DoT skill on the same enemy it will remove previously cast DoT. This will not only increase server performance, it will decrease maximum obtainable DPS (that you are now decreasing through nerfs) and also decrease the gap of DPS between novice and top players.
    2. Consider removing light attack weaving. Even introducing auto-attack instead weaving will increase server performance as you will decrease player input up to two times.

The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Haink
    Haink
    ✭✭
    Thank you for posting this. It was well past due but very much needed.
  • xTarrant
    xTarrant
    I'm excited about the LFG system. Any chance we get a group finder where we can post listings for trials and harder dungeon objectives rather than spam craglorn?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the Q1 Update 25 changes:
    "We need to refresh ESO’s patching and file manifest data to remove duplicate files and older data that is no longer needed. This will result in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on the player’s local hard drive. "

Are there any plans to change the way extra languages and voice over files are handled for players who only use 1 language?

For example, if I only intend to use the English voiceovers, do I need to redownload the French and German files?
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Behind-the-scenes combat ability improvements phase 1
    This is the first of an ongoing initiative to rewrite some of the more consumptive combat abilities to lesson server load
    User Experience: This is the first of many behind-the-scenes combat optimizations and may not have a huge impact, but over time this will lessen the server load and allow smoother and more responsive combat with larger groups
    Some proposals:
    1. Consider decreasing the amount of DoT abilities working simultaneously. Make it so only one DoT from one (player) character could influence any enemy creature (or (enemy) player character) at a given time. If you cast another DoT skill on the same enemy it will remove previously cast DoT. This will not only increase server performance, it will decrease maximum obtainable DPS (that you are now decreasing through nerfs) and also decrease the gap of DPS between novice and top players.
    2. Consider removing light attack weaving. Even introducing auto-attack instead weaving will increase server performance as you will decrease player input up to two times.

Lol no
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Q2 Cold Storage, before that rolls out can you communicate the cut off dates for "inactive" accounts and how long it takes for an account to become "inactive"?
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 30, 2019 3:34PM
  • terry2040
    terry2040
    ✭✭✭
    Please find a way to get rid of those farming bots. Less bots, less server load, and better performance for everyone else.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We need to refresh ESO’s patching and file manifest data to remove duplicate files and older data that is no longer needed. This will result in a major reduction of space taken up by the client on the player’s local hard drive. "

Are there any plans to change the way extra languages and voice over files are handled for players who only use 1 language?

For example, if I only intend to use the English voiceovers, do I need to redownload the French and German files?

This is already how it works on PC. If you have English selected, you don't get the German or French VO files.

So why do you see the German or French VO files on your hard drive? That's Steam's fault. If you have the Steam version, you first download the entire game from Steam (except it's a somewhat older version and contains things like the extra language VOs), and then the ZOS updater updates the data to the current version (without removing the extraneous data that the Steam downloader dumped onto your system).

Players of the Steam version have a very bad user experience right now, because they are doing extra downloading because the initial Steam download is of old game data and contains extraneous data and they need to immediately do a patch afterwards. The Steam download should just be a skeleton version containing only the launcher.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative, fur. None. ZOS outlines their plan to address long-standing technical issues, and some unravellers freak out over missing their daily fix of REWARDs.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Players of the Steam version have a very bad user experience right now, because they are doing extra downloading because the initial Steam download is of old game data and contains extraneous data and they need to immediately do a patch afterwards. The Steam download should just be a skeleton version containing only the launcher.
    I didn't realise Steam did that... as you say, Steam should definitely only download the launcher itself, and let the launcher download the rest, as that's how the purchase off the ESO website works. The user experience should be essentially the same regardless of where you buy the game from.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • devildog13_93
    devildog13_93
    ✭✭✭
    terry2040 wrote: »
    Please find a way to get rid of those farming bots. Less bots, less server load, and better performance for everyone else.

I agree with this and most of us do to, starter zones are completely inhabitated by farming bots, so much so that it starts to get really laggy in some areas and newer players and veteran players alike are unable to farm mats. They're on very intricate loops to get Evey piece as soon as materials spawn in.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    any plans to look into the Akamai server ping for our oceanic brethren? They get 300 ping on good days and its a source of pain for ALOT of players in cyro/pvp.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

This is already how it works on PC. If you have English selected, you don't get the German or French VO files.

So why do you see the German or French VO files on your hard drive? That's Steam's fault. If you have the Steam version, you first download the entire game from Steam (except it's a somewhat older version and contains things like the extra language VOs), and then the ZOS updater updates the data to the current version (without removing the extraneous data that the Steam downloader dumped onto your system).

Huh. So Steam is the culprit. Interesting! Thanks for clarifying that.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 30, 2019 5:37PM
  • knudsen
    knudsen
    ✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Some proposals:

Don't ever comment on balancing threads again.
    Edited by knudsen on July 30, 2019 5:42PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    For Q2 Cold Storage, before that rolls out can you communicate the cut off dates for "inactive" accounts and how long it takes for an account to become "inactive"?

The length of time for an account to be considered "inactive" is still being discussed, but we will let you know prior to this happening what the cut off is.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The length of time for an account to be considered "inactive" is still being discussed, but we will let you know prior to this happening what the cut off is.

What happens To inactive players guild spots ... Are they auto removed from guilds or do they retain their placement
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and still not a single word about the Vulkan client. This is hopeless.
    We know that ESO performance has degraded for some players
    I feel like you're trying to insult the entire playerbase.
    The game's peformance is pathetic from ANY and ALL points of view and has been for a LONG time.
    Edited by Octopuss on July 30, 2019 6:14PM
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for taking a serious look at performance and for the communication!
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares about performance mine is fine, just give us new quests and other content every patch
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. Thank You!
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's so so good to see some affirmative communication on the subject of performance improvements. Please keep updating us - communication with your player base is so important and, when you do talk to us, you do it so well !!

@ZOS_GinaBruno I note there is no mention - not explicitly - of the performance improvements for Mac-based players. The Mac client has been a dog's dinner (technical term, that) for months. Can we assume that the ongoing issues re. the Mac client (e.g. not quitting properly, the curse of the spinning character, memory leaks, FPS issues, and so on) will be addressed as part of these planned changes? If so, it would be good to spread the news - your Mac player base is a bit miffed, to say the least!

Many thanks :)
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, this is the kind of communication I wanted. I'm still skeptical that things will change based on your track record but I'm hopeful.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obvious as always, that Zenimax only dedicates very little ressources to ESO. They pride themselves with slow babysteps, that other studios get done in no time.

It all sounds nice and good, but we are talking about this since years and still, the game keeps on breaking even more.
    However, it can not be denied, that you folks have been more dedicated recently and it is noticeable.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.