Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Revert Soul Splitting Trap targets to 3 and give it full DoT strength

ZeroXFF
ZeroXFF
✭✭✭✭✭
I was actually looking forward to the Soul Splitting Trap as it was in 5.1.2, but now it's just a generic AoE. With full DoT strength and 3 targets it would be on par with Reflective Light, and usable for single target rotations with a bit of cleave potential, but in 5.1.3 it seems kind of pointless, because there are tons of AoEs in the game that could do the same thing. It went from being one of just 2 skills that function this way to being one of a gazillion generic AoE skills that are available to everyone.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The change is bland of course, but there's still Consuming Trap morph, no? It doesn't seem to be nerfed, so it will work as a strong single target DoT (though of course, the morph effect is so-so).
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change is bland of course, but there's still Consuming Trap morph, no? It doesn't seem to be nerfed, so it will work as a strong single target DoT (though of course, the morph effect is so-so).

The other morph has no cleave and provides no utility worth mentioning. The "does X on enemy death" mechanic is stupid anyways. When my enemy is dead, I don't need anything any more, I already won, especially if that effect is just single target and therefore doesn't help on trash packs (and is also essentially wasted at the end of a boss fight, because there is always a bit of a break to recover after a boss anyways).

With the current implementation I'd rather use Entropy than Consuming Trap, then I can at least save on pots and I will actually reliably get resources back with the Degeneration morph.
    Edited by ZeroXFF on July 30, 2019 8:19AM
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »

The "does X on enemy death" mechanic is stupid anyways. When my enemy is dead, I don't need anything any more, I already won,

Thats a very flawed logic, seems someone never played outnumbered in PvP
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no reason we slot Soul Splitting Trap .
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neloth wrote: »

The "does X on enemy death" mechanic is stupid anyways. When my enemy is dead, I don't need anything any more, I already won,

Thats a very flawed logic, seems someone never played outnumbered in PvP

A single target dot won't save you in that situation.

Besides, you can keep your pointless morph for PvP, I'd like to have a usable PvE morph.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    True, in most cases the Consuming Traps's effect is very hard to make use of, but as ST DoTs go, it's just a strong DoT, plain as that. Sure I'd rather have old behavior.

Now, I wouldn't quite discount Splitting morph either, should look at it too - it might be on par with other AoEs, it covers decent area, it's target-applied (means it'll be buffed by vMA DW now), it lets stamina dip into magicka pool for better sustain, so it may be a decent drop-in replacement for Caltrops.
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, in most cases the Consuming Traps's effect is very hard to make use of, but as ST DoTs go, it's just a strong DoT, plain as that. Sure I'd rather have old behavior.

Now, I wouldn't quite discount Splitting morph either, should look at it too - it might be on par with other AoEs, it covers decent area, it's target-applied (means it'll be buffed by vMA DW now), it lets stamina dip into magicka pool for better sustain, so it may be a decent drop-in replacement for Caltrops.

...or you can keep using caltrops that by the way also gives you a snare that can be very useful in certain situations (vMoS hm for example).

As for Consuming being a strong single target DoT, yeah, but so is Entropy (that provides 2 very useful utilities, with both morphs), and so is Clench. Add to it class skills, and there is a ton of such DoTs available to anyone. But a single target scaled cleave is only available to one class.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

...or you can keep using caltrops that by the way also gives you a snare that can be very useful in certain situations (vMoS hm for example).

As for Consuming being a strong single target DoT, yeah, but so is Entropy (that provides 2 very useful utilities, with both morphs), and so is Clench. Add to it class skills, and there is a ton of such DoTs available to anyone. But a single target scaled cleave is only available to one class.

As a matter of fact, I do plan to use Caltrops... as a tank. ^^ No need for DDs to slot it, the nerf was too brutal, they'll just be sacrificing a lot of their own damage. Stamina will need something to take up the slot next patch.

And yes, I understand where you're coming from, I also would opt for more diverse, fun and rare skill than another bland AoE, even 'sticky'. Just meant to say that it's not entirely useless, and for stamina at least, it'll fill up the niche of AoE damage the stamina specs have lost with the nerfs.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The other morph has no cleave and provides no utility worth mentioning. The "does X on enemy death" mechanic is stupid anyways. When my enemy is dead, I don't need anything any more, I already won

someone doesn't play hard mode PvP (aka not balling, pure solo, no gank blade) nor VET maelstrom arena, the buff to consuming is a god send in those places for non-cheese builds
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »

The other morph has no cleave and provides no utility worth mentioning. The "does X on enemy death" mechanic is stupid anyways. When my enemy is dead, I don't need anything any more, I already won

someone doesn't play hard mode PvP (aka not balling, pure solo, no gank blade) nor VET maelstrom arena, the buff to consuming is a god send in those places for non-cheese builds

Yeah, apparently you. I did flawless conqueror multiple times, and on none of those runs did I use or need Consuming Trap.

That mechanic is absolutely useless in PvE, especially on a single target spell that would be a DPS loss to use on trash and wouldn't get triggered at all on a boss. Even if it was buffed to 100% resource return it would be barely worth considering for that effect.

And even when talking about PvP... Surely if it was always restoring resources when the effect ends or is removed, rather than when somebody dies, it would be a better skill. You really can't argue with that. And since you're talking about "pure solo", how would Consuming Trap be useful in a duel? If your only enemy is dead, you already won.

Besides, not like I'm trying to take it away from you, I just want the other morph to be useful. You're welcome to continue doing what you're doing, but I'd rather have a strong cleave to better deal with multiple opponents than hope that the one I put the spell on dies first so that I don't run out of resources.
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Kiss curse!”

• Abhaya
    Abhaya
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was going to slot soul splitting to combo with an AOE for zerg bashing. Depending on the amount of damage lost it may not be worth slotting anymore.
    Abhaya - PC NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Stam Sorc 2-Hand / Bow Build: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=169103
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, at least I don't have to level another skill, woop, I guess