The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Eidetic Memory Bugged Books - Scalebreaker PTS Patch 5.1.1 (Patch Notes/ In-Game Observations)

BrightOblivion
BrightOblivion
✭✭✭✭✭
As I did last cycle, I'm creating a single thread with the list of all books players have currently reported and verified as bugged, and updating it with the list of books that are fixed, either mentioned in the patch notes or found out and about in the world. Note that, because the notes for this patch have come out before the PTS is updated, it's currently impossible to run around Tamriel checking for books that weren't mentioned. This will have to be done after the maintenance finishes, at which point more changes may be noted.

The hope is that, by having everything in a single thread in the PTS section, it will be easier for both the devs and the players to check what books have been fixed and, perhaps more importantly, which books still need fixing. Hopefully, these aren't the last fixes of the cycle, and so this list will be updated as more patches come out. You'll be able to tell when I've updated it based on the title. As usual, if anyone notices a book, either bugged or fixed, that I've missed, please let me know, preferably with as much detail as you can and possibly coordinates if you can provide them, and I'll add it to the list.

The list as it currently stands (books that are together are part of the same quest/area:

- Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees

- Tome of the Undaunted : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees

- Krisandra Edrald's Journal Vol. 1 : Personal Journals
- Krisandra Edrald's Journal Vol. 2 : Personal Journals
- Krisandra Edrald's Journal Vol. 3 : Personal Journals

- Note to Vanus : Rituals and Revelations

- Kinlady's Letter : Summerset Scrolls

- Illuminus : Summerset Scrolls
- The Forest Dark : Summerset Scrolls
- The Truth of Minotaurs : Summerset Scrolls
- The Siege of Ald Marak : Summerset Scrolls

- Naliara's Notes, Day 2 : Summerset Scrolls
- Naliara's Notes, Day 8 : Summerset Scrolls
- Naliara's Notes, Day 13 : Summerset Scrolls
- Naliara's Notes, Day 18 : Summerset Scrolls
- King's Haven Territory Record : Summerset Scrolls
- King's Haven Trade Record : Summerset Scrolls
- King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls

- Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls

- For Captain Telomure : Summerset Scrolls
- Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 : Summerset Scrolls
- Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls

- To the Villainous Manacar : Summerset Scrolls

- Dead Water Riddle Fragment : Lore of Murkmire

- Sealed Imperial Summons : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs

- Crumpled Nursery Rhyme : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs (In the world but not in the Eidetic Memory Library)

- Updated Instructions from Dortene : Military Orders and Reports
- Information Request from Emeric : Military Order and Reports

You can find more information about each of these books here or (likely) in a later post in this thread. I just wanted this list portion to be as short as possible.

Notes (5.1.0 v1): Instructions, Information Request, The Forest Dark, The Truth of Minotaurs, and The Siege of Ald Marak are fixed in 5.1.0. While ILLUMINUS is part of the same quest as the latter three (Illusions of Grandeur), and is subject to the same issues as the other books (grouping with others and them grabbing the book making you unable to do so; no post-quest location), it has not yet received a fix. Additionally, there was mention in the patch notes of two books related to "Culture Clash" receiving post-quest locations. I can only assume this refers to Sapiarch's Recommendation and Writ of Valid Credentials, which were actually fixed during the Elsweyr patch, albeit not mentioned in the patch notes. Maybe @ZOS_GinaBruno or the individual who passed the info to her could provide more information on why this was included here. Possibly because it wasn't last patch? In any case, it seems as though there are a lot of books (23?) that could still use fixing. Hopefully, more of them will get it as the cycle continues.
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on April 21, 2022 11:26PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further information on bugged books (In Progress):

- Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees
    This book does not have a location after completing the quest "Perils of Diplomacy" and is bugged for at least one individual who has mentioned it and requested it be added to the list.
    - Tome of the Undaunted : Handbills, Posters, and Decrees
    This is the unsigned version that is located within the three Undaunted Enclaves. From repeated runthroughs of "Taking the Undaunted Pledge" with characters of multiple alliances, I have noticed that it appears this book is entirely unobtainable, as opposed to just being unobtainable after the quest. Before the quest, no interactions with any of the three Tomes are possible. During the first step of the quest, one signs the Undaunted Tome and, at any time afterward, the only copy that can be interacted with (the one in Grahtwood) only shows the Tome of the Undaunted (Signed). Possible solutions for this book include putting a version somewhere else at one of the enclaves, or even on the pedestal at one of the non-AD Undaunted Enclaves where the books cannot currently be interacted with after the quest, regardless of which alliance the character is in. Another option, since this is literally the same content as Tome of the Undaunted (signed) with the exception of the player’s signature, is to delete this book and just have the signed version be the only one, accessible after completing the associated quest
    - Krisandra Edrald's Journal Vols. 1, 2, and 3 (3 separate books) : Personal Journals
    Part of the quest "A Change of Heart" in Rivenspire at the Edrald Estate, these three books disappear from the world on interaction and are not available after the quest. As with other books, if the player is grouped with other people, this means that only one of them will be able to add the books to their library, which is a problem.
    - Note to Vanus : Rituals and Revelations
    Part of the quest "Through a Veil Darkly" (the Summerset prologue), this book is found within the Old Wyrd Site portion of the Mines of Khuras during the quest. After the quest, the book disappears. No post-quest location has been found.
    - Kinlady's Letter : Summerset Scrolls
    This book is present as part of "The Queen's Decree," but disappears once someone interacts with it. If the player is in a group and is not the person to interact with it, they are unable to add the book to their library. The simplest solution is to ensure that the book is present there once the quest is completed.
    - Illuminus : Summerset Scrolls
    This book is part of the quest "Illusions of Grandeur" in the Illumination Academy, and is recovered and shelved as part of the quest (after which it disappears). No post-quest location seems to exist.
    - Naliara's Notes, Days 2, 8, 13, and 18; King's Haven Territory Record, King's Haven Trade Record, and King's Haven Scouting Record : Summerset Scrolls
    These books are part of the quest "Savage Truths." During the quest, they are interacted with, the note pages disappear, and the plaques on which the records are kept become uninteractable. If a bug occurs where the books aren't added to the collection at this moment, it cannot be fixed. Thus, a post-quest location for them is needed.
    - Lirendel's Family Shrine : Summerset Scrolls
    This only appears during the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma," on the statue in Tor-Hame-Khard. After the quest, the plaque is once again uninteractable. I'll need to do this quest again to remember where the duel takes place in order to be certain that a rubbing of it isn't left there, but I do not believe that will be the case.
    - For Captain Telomure; Pearl Research Notes, Log 3; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire : Summerset Scrolls
    All three of these books are located in Tor-Hame-Khard during the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" and disappear on quest turn-in. As interaction with these is not required for the quest, and because at least one of these (Pearl Research Notes, Log 3 is off the beaten path, it makes it very easy for the player to miss their opportunity to retrieve these books for their collection. Therefore, it would be wise to either ensure that they remain present in their current locations after the quest is turned in or to give them a post-quest location, possibly outside the delve near Captain Telomure.
    - To the Villainous Manacar : Summerset Scrolls
    This book is part of the quest "Bantering with Bandits" and is found in the winery near Alinor during the quest. After the quest, however, this book disappears. There is no post-quest location that I have been able to find.
    - Dead Water Riddle Fragment : Lore of Murkmire
    While the Bright-Throat Fragment has been given a post-quest location, neither @virtus753 nor I have been able to locate a post-quest copy of this one. I have searched areas in and around the Dead-Water Village, the Tomb of Many Spears, and the Blackguard camps which the player and Jaxsik-Orrn sabotage, but have had no luck. This could simply be due to not looking in the right place, but it would still merit making sure that nothing has gone wrong with any fix (and maybe suggesting to us where we should look that is the right place).
    - Sealed Imperial Summons : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs
    This book is in the crown store to start the Elsweyr Prologue quest "The Demon Weapon." After completing the quest, while it can still be purchased for no cost from the crown store, interacting with it yields the message "You have already completed this quest," and the book is not added to the library. This is an issue for two reasons. First, the Summons was not added to the Library until the Elsweyr patch, meaning that anyone who has completed the prologue before Elsweyr dropped (as intended) is unable to add the book to the Library. Second, the Summons is only one of two ways to start the quest (the other being to talk to Anais Daveaux), and is thus easy to miss if you follow the quest indicator for her outside Daggerfall, Davon's Watch, or Vulkhel Guard. The simplest solution would be to add a copy of this book within the world, present after completing the quest. Possible locations for this could be where the player encounters Anais to receive the quest, where the player encounters Abnur Tharn to progress the quest (the Davon's Watch Mages Guild, the Glenumbra Castle, or the Vulkhel Guard Manor and Treasury), or even in the building in Riverhold where the player encounters Tharn, Khamira, and Gharesh-Ri.
    - Crumpled Nursery Rhyme : Elsweyr Epistles and Almanacs
    This book is encountered as part of the quest "In Sickness and In Health" at the Anequina Aqueduct, and is even present after the quest. However, there is no entry for it in the Eidetic Memory Library. Perhaps it should be added?
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this. Very helpful to have the summary.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As time allows, I'm also going to attempt to go through and graphically document what's happening with each of these 24 remaining bugged books, in addition to the locations of the newly placed ones.

Let's start with the ones they recently added:

The Forest Dark
    bx7xsieu04zm.png
    The Siege of Ald Mirak
    m09non4scvjm.png
    The Truth of Minotaurs (You can also see Forest Dark on the seat in the left and Siege on the barrel to the right)
    ji5gg4exd0er.png

Updated Instructions from Dortene
    um7rzyy26d73.png
    Information Request from Emeric
    vn1lxri6vhjv.png

Yes. Those are DC siege engines to the side. Because the new location for these books is in the encampment where new DC toons go to learn about siege weapons. Way back here. (They weren't kidding about having to invade the DC compound):
    nikwqynrloei.png

On to the bugged ones! These are going to be done in more detail, with pictures (hopefully) inside nested spoiler tags to make scrolling easier. Note that, because there are 23 different books that are being covered here, and because it's a lot of information to cover, it is going to take a considerable amount of time to run through these and formulate explanations of what's happening. I will try to have them done as quickly as possible, but I ask that you bear with me as I work through it.

The first book I'm covering is The Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost:
    This is part of the quest "The Perils of Diplomacy, which is the main quest for Mistral within Khenarthi's Roost. During the quest, it is located inside the Private Quarters portion of the Maomer Embassy in Mistral, on the desk in the front part of the room, as seen here:
    iape1gcp13pn.png

Immediately after the book is interacted with, whether by the player (which would add it into their library) or by a different person in the player's group (which wouldn't add it to the player's library), the book disappears, as seen here:
    sgfvv9uwflh0.png

Yep. Just an empty desk. What happens is that the book is transferred to the Quest Items portion of the player's inventory (shown here:)
    z3wc3l42mu18.png

In theory, if you're on your toes, you can interact with the book while it's there, adding it to the library. Better act quickly, though, because as soon as someone in your party talks to Raz on the bridge outside?
    r28q2lfo221s.png

That book's gone. And, even if you go through and finish the quest, it stays gone. The simplest solution for this issue is to return the treaty to its previous location on the desk in the Private Quarters once the quest is finished. That way, anyone who was in a group while doing this quest is able to grab the book they've missed.

An additional note: While returning to the wayshrine, I did notice that four books associated with this quest (Unwelcome Visitors, Your Silver Fur, Forged Letter from "Zali", and Apothecary's Ledger are located on the ground in the northwest corner of the wayshrine area. Unfortunately, Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost is not one of the books there.

The next book, in terms of zone order, is the Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned version, not the signed one):
    In theory, this book is connected to the quest "Taking the Undaunted Pledge," and would be located within the Undaunted Enclaves in Stormhaven, Grahtwood, or Deshaan depending on which alliance your character belongs to. I say, in theory, because I honestly can't locate it. Let me show you why.

For a baseline, here are the tome pedestals in each location before the quest.
    6wb1nwhutpgz.png
    b1ljjhlaumxx.png
    j166wn4s5jgx.png

The first issue that stands out to me is the interaction range on that NPC in the Stormhaven Enclave. I'm as far away from her as I am, aiming my crosshairs in the direction I'm aiming them, and it still wants me to talk to her. Making matters worse, there is also a book (Adventurer's Almanac, 3rd Edition on the porch, behind the pillar, which has an overly-healthy interaction radius of its own. Stormhaven isn't the only Enclave with this issue, however. In Deshaan, if you edge your mouse to the right just a hair?
    vj3yo14fi8ma.png

Alright. Baseline provided, let's start the quest. It's important to note here that there are technically two ways to start this quest. First, you can use the "Undaunted Enclave Invitation" which you receive in your character's mail when your character hits level 45. This tasks you to go to your respective Undaunted Enclave and sign the Tome of the Undaunted, then talk to Maj. The second option, bypassing the Invitation, is to simply talk to Maj, and things pick up as though you've just finished signing the tome. For the purposes of this explanation, I'm using an EP toon (because she's the one who has the Invitation) and starting the quest from the Invitation (because this theoretically allows me to interact with the tome while on the quest, but before signing).

Open the Invitation and, if you're anywhere other than your Alliance's Enclave, you're told to go there. Once you arrive at the outskirts, the objective then becomes "Sign the Tome of the Undaunted." So you walk up to where the tome is and, finally, you have an interaction option- to sign it.
    sgiuwu3irvco.png

Interact with it, signing the tome and, predictably, this happens:
    7bopcaw1qbr4.png

After signing (or when starting the quest from the point where you talk to Maj), whenever you try to interact with the Deshaan version, you get:
    jyt18kaoh0iz.png

As before, the Stormhaven tome has no interaction options, being dwarfed by those for other objects/NPCs. In fact, the only location which can be interacted with is the one at the Grahtwood Enclave...which opens up the signed version of the Tome. The unsigned version is nowhere in the game*. To resolve this, I suggest one of two options. The first would be to make it so that, after the quest is completed, the unsigned version appears at the Deshaan Enclave where the player can finagle their cursor around the NPC to interact with it. The second, which I wouldn't normally suggest, is to simply delete the unsigned version from the library. The reason I suggest this is that, compared to the signed version that is in the library and obtainable, the unsigned version is only missing one line - the player's name - and the inclusion of the player's name makes the signed version more personally meaningful in any case. That said, there may be potential hiccups in deleting an entry from the Library, so adding it at the Deshaan Enclave may indeed be the preferable solution.

*Though it might appear from the UESP Log Data Viewer that the book is located in the bookshelves of Hew's Bane, I have not been able to personally confirm this. Additionally, because of the randomness involved in finding that one book in such a large pool and because it would necessitate buying a DLC to have the only chance at obtaining a book that is involved, however tangentially, in the main game, I would argue that including it in this bookshelf pool would not cause this to be "solved."

For the next trio of books (Krisandra Edrald's Journal, Vols. 1-3, we travel to Rivenspire and the Edrald Estate
    These books, and Dulkhi's Diary, are involved in the area quest there, "A Change of Heart." The first step of this quest sends you to explore the manor house, on the second floor of which you find the third volume of Krisandra's Journal, shown here:
    xk5iepfwbvae.png

However, upon reading it, it disappears (as shown below) and enters the quest inventory:
    urtmrmg43bsy.png

You then go to Dulkhi's Servant's Quarters, where Federic sweeps up Dulkhi's Diary into your quest inventory before you can even interact with it (shown below):
    53f2rx775332.png

From there, you go to the windmill, where you find volume 1 and it disappears as well:
    e2vv38ha6ufq.png
    1n75mgddaoue.png

If you're following the pattern at this point, you should be able to guess that when you interact with volume 2 in the Undercroft (shown below), it will also disappear and enter the quest inventory.
    8srnkm83ib99.png

And sure enough, all four books you've encountered so far are there:
    5wl9d9lcn635.png

However, when you complete the quest, after venturing into a daedric plane and destroying a sigil stone, these books all leave the inventory. Dulki's Diary returns to her bed:
    es931b5brmph.png

The other three books, however, are gone for good. If someone else in your party grabbed them and you didn't read them while they were in the quest inventory, then, once again, you're out of luck. To resolve this and not penalize those players who are fond of grouping up for quests, I would suggest returning these books to their original locations, or somewhere else within the Estate, once the quest is completed.

So now we prepare to start Summerset by entering the prologue quest, and it is there that we encounter Note to Vanus
    We find it briefly inside the Mines of Khuras in Glenumbra...
    j8i14fvg5mjf.png

and it disappears after we or anyone in our party interact with it...
    f67ptbvfj2uz.png

After the quest, I would suggest either returning it to this spot, or even placing it in the garden area in Skywatch where we arrive after saving the Oracle.

In Summerset proper, the first book we encounter is the Kinlady's Letter
    This book is located on a table in the Monastery of Serene Harmony as part of the quest "The Queen's Decree" and is removed after the player or a member of the player's party interacts with it.
    cwt3vrlz2voa.png
    gvrwdvmmjbvf.png

It does not return to the world after the quest, and the simplest solution would be to place it back on the table in the Monastery after the quest is finished.

From here, we travel across Summerset to the Illumination Academy, where we find Illuminus:
    Part of the area's quest, Illusions of Grandeur, we encounter this book several times in various states as the quest progresses- first on the edge of a planter...
    nmng46kfti1l.png

...then several times on a bench...
    a3banuq0z7pf.png

...and finally floating in the air in the Book Stacks after we thwart the Illuminated One.
    0hib0a6z4e45.png

This last time gives us the complete book and adds it to the Library. However, if someone else interacts with the book and shelves it, you aren't able to add it to yours. After the quest, I would suggest either returning a copy to the bench or to the edge of the planter where it's previously been encountered. While it may not necessarily make lore-appropriate sense to have it there, I would argue that allowing your players to add all the books to their library even if they're grouping with their friends is more important.

Further inland from the Academy, we find King's Haven Pass, home of goblins, the quest "Savage Truths," and seven bugged books, which are (in the order which they are encountered: Naliara's Notes, Day 18, Naliara's Notes, Day 2, Naliara's Notes, Day 8, Naliara's Notes, Day 13, King's Haven Trade Record, King's haven Scouting Record, and King's Haven Territory Record.
    Despite there being seven books here, they all have the same bug. Specifically, as you progress through the quest, picking up the books along the way, they all disappear when you interact with them and don't return- to their original spots or to anywhere else- after the quest is done. Every single one of them does this.

Naliara's Notes, Day 18:
    33hnbxpettzt.png
    q4alxvdgdsyb.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 2:
    0cpax5r4ddjn.png
    7zmhnhczth7t.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 8:
    5m7ao9ss3ocs.png
    h7ml5fz9amw8.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 13:
    9o759kvrlj0q.png
    p52emwjvm69o.png

King's Haven Trade Record:
    ymx2mqea09iq.png
    qz3l47aq87pi.png

King's Haven Scouting Record:
    nt95otprgsdh.png
    2nlh4acx6rtt.png

And King's Haven Territory Record:
    7jrb12iwmn0w.png
    3yiou1v0v03o.png

To address this, I would suggest either making them return to their original spots after the quest or putting copies of all of them together in the same location, either near Mehdze, or up above near the boss, or near one of the entrances to the Pass (either inside or outside). Another possible location could even be near the King's Haven Wayshrine in the northeast of Summerset.

Guide to Altmeri Culture (On Dueling); Lirendel's Family Shrine
    Both of these books are part of the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma" and disappear as soon as any member of a party interacts with them, never to be seen again. The Guide to Altmeri Culture (On Dueling) is present on the table in the Golden Gryphon's second floor (at the table where Lirendel and his second are seated)....
    nsdltgvk1zc3.png
    b0qxnh144a89.png

while Lirendel's Family Shrine is located on the plaque for the statue within Tor-Hame-Khard
    ahjcbxxz3ljz.png
    f6zw7k3di5td.png

In order to allow all members of a party to obtain them, even after the quest, I would suggest either returning them both to their previous locations once the quest is complete or placing a copy of each of them in the ruins where the "duel" takes place at the end of the quest.

For Captain Telomure; Pearl Research Notes, Log 3; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire
    These books are part of the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" within Tor-Hame-Khard in Summerset. Unlike most of the other books on this list, the issue with these three is not that they disappear when interacted with. The issue is that they are only present during the quest (off to the side and relatively easy to miss), with nothing to lead the player to them, and then they disappear as soon as the quest is turned in.

For Captain Telomure is in the first room where the player enters, on the ground:
    232an2i0ezaa.png

Pearl Research Notes is upstairs, to the side of a hallway and extremely easy to overlook:
    m6v1lklhj2f3.png

and Journal of Justiciar Avanaire is in the room with its writer, Justicar Avanaire, where the player goes to defeat her:
    iwqnx7ffrprn.png

While ensuring that they return to their previous locations once the quest is complete is an option, it would also be possible to place all three together, either next to Captain Telomure just outside the entrance to the delve or on the tables in the room where Justiciar Avanaire was.

To the Villainous Manacar
    This book is part of the quest "Bantering with Bandits. During the quest, Manacar requests that the player go into the nearby winery to check on Tableau. After getting permission from her patron, the player goes upstairs to the room Tableau was staying in, and finds a note on the floor:
    2tb6xxoy4e1m.png

As soon as any member of a party interacts with it, the note disappears:
    yee8k3q71xw3.png

After the quest, I would suggest this book is placed back in the room in the winery, so that anyone who missed it during the quest can get it then.

Dead Water Riddle Fragment
    This book never actually has a place in the world. Partway through the quest "Whispers in the Wood," the book is placed in the player's inventory, and vanishes further on. As such, instead of posting pictures regarding a book not being there (as there's not any location it should be), I will post a number of possible locations a version of this book could be placed.

Such as near the Gravesinger's bed in his lodge in the Dead Water village (where the player goes to get the gravestake with this riddle deciphered):
    6mxjrhzdgpw0.png

Or on this table in the Cyrodillic Collections building in Lilmoth (where the player returns after obtaining both this riddle fragment and the Bright Throat Fragment)
    1by742slrcal.png

Or on one of these small platforms within the Tomb of Many Spears (where the player first goes to obtain the gravestake and fights a voriplasm-controlled corpse of Etri Many-Spears):
    cz15548rj3ij.png

What is most perplexing about this book is that the other book related to this quest (the Bright-Throat Riddle Fragment) which was bugged in the exact same way received a fix during the Elsweyr patch, but this one has still not been addressed in any way.

Sealed Imperial Summons
    This book is part of the quest "The Demon Weapon," the first quest during the prologue for Elsweyr. More precisely, this entry is obtained by interacting with the item of the same name which is purchased for free from the crown store in the Quest Starters category and placed in that character's inventory. However, there are a number of issues with this item, and with adding this library entry.

The first and most restrictive issue is that it must be interacted with at a point before completing the associated quest. Otherwise, any attempt to interact with it will result in the message depicted in this image:
    keft3x6p9dyo.png

The player is informed that they've already completed the quest and the book, which is only added upon successful interaction with the item (bringing up the actual text of the Sealed Imperial Summons), is not added to the player's library. This is an issue for several reasons, in addition to this Sealed Summons item being the only means to obtain the book and it not existing anywhere out in the world. First, this crown store item is only one of two possible ways to begin this prologue quest, with the second being to speak to Anais Daveaux outside Vulkhel Guard, Glenumbra, or Davon's Watch, as indicated by the quest giver marker. As such, it becomes extremely easy to do the quest without ever knowing anything about this crown store item and its associated lore entry.

To make matters worse, although this quest was introduced a number of weeks before Elsweyr came out, the library entry associated with this book was only added when Elsweyr came out and, even if you had interacted with the crown store item to start the quest, the entry was not retroactively added. As a result, anyone and everyone who completed this quest before Elsweyr was released, as expected both due to its being released earlier and due to it being a prologue quest for the chapter, is entirely unable to add this book to their library in any way.

In order to rectify this issue, either the item needs to stop giving that error when it's interacted with, instead opening up the letter and adding the entry to the library or, even better, a copy of the summons needs to be placed somewhere outside the inventory. Suggested locations for this could be Tharn's camp in Grahtwood, one of the three locations where the player meets Tharn for the first part of the quest (Daggerfall's Castle, Vulkhel Guard's Manor House, or the Davon's Watch Mage's Guild), or even the building in Riverhold where the player meets Tharn, Khamira, and Gharesh-ri during the first Elsweyr quest.

Crumpled Nursery Rhyme
    The issue with this lore entry, which is encountered as part of the Elsweyr quest "In Sickness and In Health," is unlike any of the others in this list. You see, unlike any of the other entries, the issue is that this book doesn't actually have an associated entry in the library. It is present in the world, both during and even after its associated quest, as seen here:
    utcjn9e18pux.png

Interacting with it presents a very lore entry-like page, as seen here:
    r3xb7umnpp0f.png

However, when you open up the journal, tab over to the library, go to where the Anequina books are all located, and scroll down to where the book should be, under the letter C, you will find:
    3ji3rb0h8urb.png

The book's just not there. No entry exists. As mentioned before, everything else about this book is perfect. All that needs to happen is that an entry needs to be added to the library for it. If it looks like an eidetic memory book, and functions like an eidetic memory book, and has text like an eidetic memory book, then shouldn't it be listed in the Eidetic Memory section?
    Edited by BrightOblivion on July 22, 2019 10:57PM
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notes, 5.1.1: When I read the patch notes this morning, I saw no more book fixes. After the PTS loaded, I ran through and started checking the world for book fixes that might have slipped through the reporting cracks, but found none. It's safe to say that no books were fixed this week, sadly. Maybe next week. In other news, I'm still slowly working through documenting all of the bugged books with pictures in the post above. By my count, I have another 9 books to go, due to finding a second disappearing book connecting to "Duelist's Dilemma." All the screenshots have been taken, cropped and labeled. I just need to write everything up and put the pictures in their proper places. Hopefully, it might prove beneficial for somebody. I suppose it at least provides a definitive baseline of locations to check for these books each patch.

Additionally, unless I'm mistaken, the European toons hit the PTS next week. Because i haven't yet been able to find the time to get a toon to the point they can run through and check all of these books upon completion of their requisite quests, I will be more dependent on other's reports and whatever's listed in the patch notes, provided books are actually fixed then. We'll see what happens.

That's all from me for now. Enjoy your week!
    Edited by BrightOblivion on July 15, 2019 7:54PM
  • yoo_mr_white
    yoo_mr_white
    ✭✭
    As time allows, I'm also going to attempt to go through and graphically document what's happening with each of these 24 remaining bugged books, in addition to the locations of the newly placed ones.

Let's start with the ones they recently added:

The Forest Dark
    bx7xsieu04zm.png
    The Siege of Ald Mirak
    m09non4scvjm.png
    The Truth of Minotaurs (You can also see Forest Dark on the seat in the left and Siege on the barrel to the right)
    ji5gg4exd0er.png

Updated Instructions from Dortene
    um7rzyy26d73.png
    Information Request from Emeric
    vn1lxri6vhjv.png

Yes. Those are DC siege engines to the side. Because the new location for these books is in the encampment where new DC toons go to learn about siege weapons. Way back here. (They weren't kidding about having to invade the DC compound):
    nikwqynrloei.png

On to the bugged ones! These are going to be done in more detail, with pictures (hopefully) inside nested spoiler tags to make scrolling easier. Note that, because there are 23 different books that are being covered here, and because it's a lot of information to cover, it is going to take a considerable amount of time to run through these and formulate explanations of what's happening. I will try to have them done as quickly as possible, but I ask that you bear with me as I work through it.

The first book I'm covering is The Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost:
    This is part of the quest "The Perils of Diplomacy, which is the main quest for Mistral within Khenarthi's Roost. During the quest, it is located inside the Private Quarters portion of the Maomer Embassy in Mistral, on the desk in the front part of the room, as seen here:
    iape1gcp13pn.png

Immediately after the book is interacted with, whether by the player (which would add it into their library) or by a different person in the player's group (which wouldn't add it to the player's library), the book disappears, as seen here:
    sgfvv9uwflh0.png

Yep. Just an empty desk. What happens is that the book is transferred to the Quest Items portion of the player's inventory (shown here:)
    z3wc3l42mu18.png

In theory, if you're on your toes, you can interact with the book while it's there, adding it to the library. Better act quickly, though, because as soon as someone in your party talks to Raz on the bridge outside?
    r28q2lfo221s.png

That book's gone. And, even if you go through and finish the quest, it stays gone. The simplest solution for this issue is to return the treaty to its previous location on the desk in the Private Quarters once the quest is finished. That way, anyone who was in a group while doing this quest is able to grab the book they've missed.

An additional note: While returning to the wayshrine, I did notice that four books associated with this quest (Unwelcome Visitors, Your Silver Fur, Forged Letter from "Zali", and Apothecary's Ledger are located on the ground in the northwest corner of the wayshrine area. Unfortunately, Treaty of Khenarthi's Roost is not one of the books there.

The next book, in terms of zone order, is the Tome of the Undaunted (the unsigned version, not the signed one):
    In theory, this book is connected to the quest "Taking the Undaunted Pledge," and would be located within the Undaunted Enclaves in Stormhaven, Grahtwood, or Deshaan depending on which alliance your character belongs to. I say, in theory, because I honestly can't locate it. Let me show you why.

For a baseline, here are the tome pedestals in each location before the quest.
    6wb1nwhutpgz.png
    b1ljjhlaumxx.png
    j166wn4s5jgx.png

The first issue that stands out to me is the interaction range on that NPC in the Stormhaven Enclave. I'm as far away from her as I am, aiming my crosshairs in the direction I'm aiming them, and it still wants me to talk to her. Making matters worse, there is also a book (Adventurer's Almanac, 3rd Edition on the porch, behind the pillar, which has an overly-healthy interaction radius of its own. Stormhaven isn't the only Enclave with this issue, however. In Deshaan, if you edge your mouse to the right just a hair?
    vj3yo14fi8ma.png

Alright. Baseline provided, let's start the quest. It's important to note here that there are technically two ways to start this quest. First, you can use the "Undaunted Enclave Invitation" which you receive in your character's mail when your character hits level 45. This tasks you to go to your respective Undaunted Enclave and sign the Tome of the Undaunted, then talk to Maj. The second option, bypassing the Invitation, is to simply talk to Maj, and things pick up as though you've just finished signing the tome. For the purposes of this explanation, I'm using an EP toon (because she's the one who has the Invitation) and starting the quest from the Invitation (because this theoretically allows me to interact with the tome while on the quest, but before signing).

Open the Invitation and, if you're anywhere other than your Alliance's Enclave, you're told to go there. Once you arrive at the outskirts, the objective then becomes "Sign the Tome of the Undaunted." So you walk up to where the tome is and, finally, you have an interaction option- to sign it.
    sgiuwu3irvco.png

Interact with it, signing the tome and, predictably, this happens:
    7bopcaw1qbr4.png

After signing (or when starting the quest from the point where you talk to Maj), whenever you try to interact with the Deshaan version, you get:
    jyt18kaoh0iz.png

As before, the Stormhaven tome has no interaction options, being dwarfed by those for other objects/NPCs. In fact, the only location which can be interacted with is the one at the Grahtwood Enclave...which opens up the signed version of the Tome. The unsigned version is nowhere in the game*. To resolve this, I suggest one of two options. The first would be to make it so that, after the quest is completed, the unsigned version appears at the Deshaan Enclave where the player can finagle their cursor around the NPC to interact with it. The second, which I wouldn't normally suggest, is to simply delete the unsigned version from the library. The reason I suggest this is that, compared to the signed version that is in the library and obtainable, the unsigned version is only missing one line - the player's name - and the inclusion of the player's name makes the signed version more personally meaningful in any case. That said, there may be potential hiccups in deleting an entry from the Library, so adding it at the Deshaan Enclave may indeed be the preferable solution.

*Though it might appear from the UESP Log Data Viewer that the book is located in the bookshelves of Hew's Bane, I have not been able to personally confirm this. Additionally, because of the randomness involved in finding that one book in such a large pool and because it would necessitate buying a DLC to have the only chance at obtaining a book that is involved, however tangentially, in the main game, I would argue that including it in this bookshelf pool would not cause this to be "solved."

For the next trio of books (Krisandra Edrald's Journal, Vols. 1-3, we travel to Rivenspire and the Edrald Estate
    These books, and Dulkhi's Diary, are involved in the area quest there, "A Change of Heart." The first step of this quest sends you to explore the manor house, on the second floor of which you find the third volume of Krisandra's Journal, shown here:
    xk5iepfwbvae.png

However, upon reading it, it disappears (as shown below) and enters the quest inventory:
    urtmrmg43bsy.png

You then go to Dulkhi's Servant's Quarters, where Federic sweeps up Dulkhi's Diary into your quest inventory before you can even interact with it (shown below):
    53f2rx775332.png

From there, you go to the windmill, where you find volume 1 and it disappears as well:
    e2vv38ha6ufq.png
    1n75mgddaoue.png

If you're following the pattern at this point, you should be able to guess that when you interact with volume 2 in the Undercroft (shown below), it will also disappear and enter the quest inventory.
    8srnkm83ib99.png

And sure enough, all four books you've encountered so far are there:
    5wl9d9lcn635.png

However, when you complete the quest, after venturing into a daedric plane and destroying a sigil stone, these books all leave the inventory. Dulki's Diary returns to her bed:
    es931b5brmph.png

The other three books, however, are gone for good. If someone else in your party grabbed them and you didn't read them while they were in the quest inventory, then, once again, you're out of luck. To resolve this and not penalize those players who are fond of grouping up for quests, I would suggest returning these books to their original locations, or somewhere else within the Estate, once the quest is completed.

So now we prepare to start Summerset by entering the prologue quest, and it is there that we encounter Note to Vanus
    We find it briefly inside the Mines of Khuras in Glenumbra...
    j8i14fvg5mjf.png

and it disappears after we or anyone in our party interact with it...
    f67ptbvfj2uz.png

After the quest, I would suggest either returning it to this spot, or even placing it in the garden area in Skywatch where we arrive after saving the Oracle.

In Summerset proper, the first book we encounter is the Kinlady's Letter
    This book is located on a table in the Monastery of Serene Harmony as part of the quest "The Queen's Decree" and is removed after the player or a member of the player's party interacts with it.
    cwt3vrlz2voa.png
    gvrwdvmmjbvf.png

It does not return to the world after the quest, and the simplest solution would be to place it back on the table in the Monastery after the quest is finished.

From here, we travel across Summerset to the Illumination Academy, where we find Illuminus:
    Part of the area's quest, Illusions of Grandeur, we encounter this book several times in various states as the quest progresses- first on the edge of a planter...
    nmng46kfti1l.png

...then several times on a bench...
    a3banuq0z7pf.png

...and finally floating in the air in the Book Stacks after we thwart the Illuminated One.
    0hib0a6z4e45.png

This last time gives us the complete book and adds it to the Library. However, if someone else interacts with the book and shelves it, you aren't able to add it to yours. After the quest, I would suggest either returning a copy to the bench or to the edge of the planter where it's previously been encountered. While it may not necessarily make lore-appropriate sense to have it there, I would argue that allowing your players to add all the books to their library even if they're grouping with their friends is more important.

Further inland from the Academy, we find King's Haven Pass, home of goblins, the quest "Savage Truths," and seven bugged books, which are (in the order which they are encountered: Naliara's Notes, Day 18, Naliara's Notes, Day 2, Naliara's Notes, Day 8, Naliara's Notes, Day 13, King's Haven Trade Record, King's haven Scouting Record, and King's Haven Territory Record.
    Despite there being seven books here, they all have the same bug. Specifically, as you progress through the quest, picking up the books along the way, they all disappear when you interact with them and don't return- to their original spots or to anywhere else- after the quest is done. Every single one of them does this.

Naliara's Notes, Day 18:
    33hnbxpettzt.png
    q4alxvdgdsyb.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 2:
    0cpax5r4ddjn.png
    7zmhnhczth7t.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 8:
    5m7ao9ss3ocs.png
    h7ml5fz9amw8.png

Naliara's Notes, Day 13:
    9o759kvrlj0q.png
    p52emwjvm69o.png

King's Haven Trade Record:
    ymx2mqea09iq.png
    qz3l47aq87pi.png

King's Haven Scouting Record:
    nt95otprgsdh.png
    2nlh4acx6rtt.png

And King's Haven Territory Record:
    7jrb12iwmn0w.png
    3yiou1v0v03o.png

To address this, I would suggest either making them return to their original spots after the quest or putting copies of all of them together in the same location, either near Mehdze, or up above near the boss, or near one of the entrances to the Pass (either inside or outside). Another possible location could even be near the King's Haven Wayshrine in the northeast of Summerset.

Guide to Altmeri Culture (On Dueling); Lirendel's Family Shrine
    Both of these books are part of the quest "A Duelist's Dilemma" and disappear as soon as any member of a party interacts with them, never to be seen again. The Guide to Altmeri Culture (On Dueling) is present on the table in the Golden Gryphon's second floor (at the table where Lirendel and his second are seated)....
    nsdltgvk1zc3.png
    b0qxnh144a89.png

while Lirendel's Family Shrine is located on the plaque for the statue within Tor-Hame-Khard
    ahjcbxxz3ljz.png
    f6zw7k3di5td.png

In order to allow all members of a party to obtain them, even after the quest, I would suggest either returning them both to their previous locations once the quest is complete or placing a copy of each of them in the ruins where the "duel" takes place at the end of the quest.

For Captain Telomure; Pearl Research Notes, Log 3; Journal of Justiciar Avanaire
    These books are part of the quest "Pearls Before Traitors" within Tor-Hame-Khard in Summerset. Unlike most of the other books on this list, the issue with these three is not that they disappear when interacted with. The issue is that they are only present during the quest (off to the side and relatively easy to miss), with nothing to lead the player to them, and then they disappear as soon as the quest is turned in.

For Captain Telomure is in the first room where the player enters, on the ground:
    232an2i0ezaa.png

Pearl Research Notes is upstairs, to the side of a hallway and extremely easy to overlook:
    m6v1lklhj2f3.png

and Journal of Justiciar Avanaire is in the room with its writer, Justicar Avanaire, where the player goes to defeat her:
    iwqnx7ffrprn.png

While ensuring that they return to their previous locations once the quest is complete is an option, it would also be possible to place all three together, either next to Captain Telomure just outside the entrance to the delve or on the tables in the room where Justiciar Avanaire was.

To the Villainous Manacar
    This book is part of the quest "Bantering with Bandits. During the quest, Manacar requests that the player go into the nearby winery to check on Tableau. After getting permission from her patron, the player goes upstairs to the room Tableau was staying in, and finds a note on the floor:
    2tb6xxoy4e1m.png

As soon as any member of a party interacts with it, the note disappears:
    yee8k3q71xw3.png

After the quest, I would suggest this book is placed back in the room in the winery, so that anyone who missed it during the quest can get it then.

Dead Water Riddle Fragment
    This book never actually has a place in the world. Partway through the quest "Whispers in the Wood," the book is placed in the player's inventory, and vanishes further on. As such, instead of posting pictures regarding a book not being there (as there's not any location it should be), I will post a number of possible locations a version of this book could be placed.

Such as near the Gravesinger's bed in his lodge in the Dead Water village (where the player goes to get the gravestake with this riddle deciphered):
    6mxjrhzdgpw0.png

Or on this table in the Cyrodillic Collections building in Lilmoth (where the player returns after obtaining both this riddle fragment and the Bright Throat Fragment)
    1by742slrcal.png

Or on one of these small platforms within the Tomb of Many Spears (where the player first goes to obtain the gravestake and fights a voriplasm-controlled corpse of Etri Many-Spears):
    cz15548rj3ij.png

What is most perplexing about this book is that the other book related to this quest (the Bright-Throat Riddle Fragment) which was bugged in the exact same way received a fix during the Elsweyr patch, but this one has still not been addressed in any way.

Sealed Imperial Summons
    This book is part of the quest "The Demon Weapon," the first quest during the prologue for Elsweyr. More precisely, this entry is obtained by interacting with the item of the same name which is purchased for free from the crown store in the Quest Starters category and placed in that character's inventory. However, there are a number of issues with this item, and with adding this library entry.

The first and most restrictive issue is that it must be interacted with at a point before completing the associated quest. Otherwise, any attempt to interact with it will result in the message depicted in this image:
    keft3x6p9dyo.png

The player is informed that they've already completed the quest and the book, which is only added upon successful interaction with the item (bringing up the actual text of the Sealed Imperial Summons), is not added to the player's library. This is an issue for several reasons, in addition to this Sealed Summons item being the only means to obtain the book and it not existing anywhere out in the world. First, this crown store item is only one of two possible ways to begin this prologue quest, with the second being to speak to Anais Daveaux outside Vulkhel Guard, Glenumbra, or Davon's Watch, as indicated by the quest giver marker. As such, it becomes extremely easy to do the quest without ever knowing anything about this crown store item and its associated lore entry.

To make matters worse, although this quest was introduced a number of weeks before Elsweyr came out, the library entry associated with this book was only added when Elsweyr came out and, even if you had interacted with the crown store item to start the quest, the entry was not retroactively added. As a result, anyone and everyone who completed this quest before Elsweyr was released, as expected both due to its being released earlier and due to it being a prologue quest for the chapter, is entirely unable to add this book to their library in any way.

In order to rectify this issue, either the item needs to stop giving that error when it's interacted with, instead opening up the letter and adding the entry to the library or, even better, a copy of the summons needs to be placed somewhere outside the inventory. Suggested locations for this could be Tharn's camp in Grahtwood, one of the three locations where the player meets Tharn for the first part of the quest (Daggerfall's Castle, Vulkhel Guard's Manor House, or the Davon's Watch Mage's Guild), or even the building in Riverhold where the player meets Tharn, Khamira, and Gharesh-ri during the first Elsweyr quest.

Crumpled Nursery Rhyme
    The issue with this lore entry, which is encountered as part of the Elsweyr quest "In Sickness and In Health," is unlike any of the others in this list. You see, unlike any of the other entries, the issue is that this book doesn't actually have an associated entry in the library. It is present in the world, both during and even after its associated quest, as seen here:
    utcjn9e18pux.png

Interacting with it presents a very lore entry-like page, as seen here:
    r3xb7umnpp0f.png

However, when you open up the journal, tab over to the library, go to where the Anequina books are all located, and scroll down to where the book should be, under the letter C, you will find:
    3ji3rb0h8urb.png

The book's just not there. No entry exists. As mentioned before, everything else about this book is perfect. All that needs to happen is that an entry needs to be added to the library for it. If it looks like an eidetic memory book, and functions like an eidetic memory book, and has text like an eidetic memory book, then shouldn't it be listed in the Eidetic Memory section?

Was a post quest location found for Naliara's notes?
  • Gandalf_72
    Gandalf_72
    ✭✭✭
    Here is my definitive list of bugged LoreBooks:

Verrik's Note
    Daggerfall Market Shopping List
    Rite of the Scion
    Dear Escort
    Illuminus
    Journal of Justiciar Avanaire
    Naliara's Notes, Day 2
    Naliara's Notes, Day 13