Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Housing Editor Mode: Camera Fails

Thehartclan
Thehartclan
✭✭✭
I am curious if anyone has found an easier means of placing larger items in smaller spaces. It's next to impossible with the camera setup the way it currently is - as soon as you click to move a large item your camera practically sticks you in the floor and is nowhere where it needs to be to accurately and successfully place the item. It's basically a guessing game of trial and error.

As someone who spends an exorbitant amount of time in housing editor, I wonder if this is something the team @ZOS_GinaBruno has looked at correcting or updating for a more enjoyable experience? I'm sure other players share similar frustrations around the camera and item placement tools.

On a similar note I think a mirror object button would be delightfully wonderful as well as the ability to have a smoother rotation function - currently when rotating objects they seem to appear to snap at some set degree and often times ends up impossible to get an object completely level if you want to place it on it's side, upside down, upright, etc. Big deal for folks like me who strive to create unique objects out of others!!!

Thanks always for listening :)
Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 14, 2023 6:03PM
The Hart Clan

Atelier: Exquisite Homesteads, Facilitator
New Scrolls Order - Admin Officer

9 Trait Crafter/ Furniture Expert / Housing Expert
Vet 810 MagDK - 43k

PSN: The-J-Hart Server: PS4 NA
  • Poms
    Poms
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was just me !
    its not just small spaces where this is a problem tho, anytime i am trying to place a "large" house item (im thinking of any of the posts/pillars, wedding curtains), the camera does wonky things and i have to run around from differently positions to try and get the item placed correctly.

• Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Camera is a nuisance.
    As soon as you select an item your camera angle changes and often to an angle that makes it impossible to see where you are placing the item.
    The Elsweyr Bridge Platform is a particularly bad example
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried EHT? Selecting items and placing them with the control eliminates this issue.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Poms
    Poms
    ✭✭✭
    sueblue wrote: »
    Have you tried EHT? Selecting items and placing them with the control eliminates this issue.

I have EHT..but am struggling to figure out the proper use of the add on...i need like a weekend retreat or a EHT use for dummies manual :(....i've watched numerous videos but still do not seem to have the capacity to figure it out.
  • bayushi2005
    bayushi2005
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poms wrote: »
    sueblue wrote: »

I have EHT..but am struggling to figure out the proper use of the add on...i need like a weekend retreat or a EHT use for dummies manual :(....i've watched numerous videos but still do not seem to have the capacity to figure it out.

@Poms

1.Make sure you go to your Controls and bind a key to add a piece of furniture to the selection: Controls - Addon Keybinds - Housing Editor - Essential Housing Tools - Select/Deselect (Num + works for me).

2.In Settings - Addons - Essential Housing Tools - Editing Items section - set Directional Editing to Relative (thats easiest for most of the situations).

Once you've done that, you will be able to add furniture to the selection while in your editing mode (default F5). After hitting your keybind, EHT window will pop up automatically with selection list on. You can remove items from selection by right clicking them on the selection list, you can also change their order by using Up/Dn (they are clickable) by the left of the item listed. It matters sometimes. I suggest you use the full window with all functions visible but you can adjust it by clicking _ (like minimise in Windows) in the right upper corner.

Now you move your selected items (remember all of the items on the list will be moved) by using arrows - in Relative mode, which we've already set, it depends on the direction your character is facing. You can adjust the scope of the movement by using the slider at the bottom of the window.

If you close the EHT window you can always bring it up by clicking the EHT "house" button. EHT will remember your last selection until you remove it or start a new one (New under "Load saved selection" at the top of the window).

You can also save selections for each house separately by giving them a name (type the name in the bracket by Selection name, then click save - above the bracket).
    Once a selection is saved you can bring it back with one click by finding its name on a drop-down menu at the top of the window (just under Load saved selection).

I hope I have not overdone with the info. Once you do it few times it will become intiuitve.

Have fun exploring!
    Edited by bayushi2005 on July 5, 2019 8:38AM
  • R_K
    R_K
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bayushi2005 If add-on developers got paid to do this, I would hire you... <3
  • Thehartclan
    Thehartclan
    ✭✭✭
    Great if you're playing on PC - but console players such as myself get the poop end of the stick.
    The Hart Clan

Atelier: Exquisite Homesteads, Facilitator
    New Scrolls Order - Admin Officer

9 Trait Crafter/ Furniture Expert / Housing Expert
    Vet 810 MagDK - 43k

PSN: The-J-Hart Server: PS4 NA
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great if you're playing on PC - but console players such as myself get the poop end of the stick.

I hope ZOS hears your request. I remember it being impossible to work with large objects in small spaces. Especially the large objects with weird center-points (e.g. Argonian Lattice, Murkmire Ramp, Rough Clothesline, Post. etc.)
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • Poms
    Poms
    ✭✭✭
    @bayushi2005
    thanks so much for taking the time to post this information :D i am going to try it out next day off and see how it goes

• MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found this thread via google, replying here instead of making a new one since this is still a relevant issue all these years later:

Is there any way to move furnishings with the normal mouse controls, not keyboard, and see what you're doing? Or just make it so that selecting a furnishing doesn't change your camera angle?

Idk if EHT does this, or any new addons. Sometimes I prefer the faster mouse controls, but with trees it's impossible to see. I hate when it changes my camera to the object's axis point; end up having to place and use the keyboard anyway.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have closed this topic as it was originally created in June 2019. In many cases, it's better to create a new thread on a topic that you want to discuss as opposed to bumping one that is rather old.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.