The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should Vampire & Werewolf skills be illegal in line with Necromancy?

LapisLazuli99
LapisLazuli99
✭✭✭
With the arrival of Necromancers and the introduction of the "Lore friendly" mechanic of Necromancy being illegal to practice openly, I was wondering if people thought Vampire and Werewolf skills should be illegal in the same way?
Xbox One - NA
GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
AD - Breton Sorcerer
AD - High Elf Nightblade
AD - High Elf Templar
AD - Wood Elf Warden
AD - Khajiit Necromancer
AD - High Elf Arcanist

Should Vampire & Werewolf skills be illegal in line with Necromancy? 266 votes

Yes, Vampire and Werewolf skills should be illegal.
71%
UnyieldingFlameakredon_ESOdarthgummibear_ESOPinesymilesrodneymcneely2_ESORykoth1mirgBowserBigBraggdcam86b14_ESOdeadsheepb14_ESOWuffyCeruleiSporvanNemesis7884Danikataubrey.baconb16_ESOAlienSlofDemionLordTareqSilaf 190 votes
No, Vampire and Werewolf should not be illegal.
15%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOOsteosSincero580b14_ESOmann9753b16_ESOGythralKaradimAhPook_Is_HereNova Skylinoge63pod88kkshadowwraith666Shadow_AkulaQbikenTasearMorgul667AlgraxaTommy_The_GunMrGravesTrandanerkarthrag_inak 41 votes
This mechinic is stupid and Necromancer skills shouldn't be illegal to begin with.
13%
Aimoraphaneub17_ESOArwyrWolfpawczarbellatrixedreoskitDagoth_RacLylithArwincrowfl56pknecronDarkmage1337Enemy-of-ColdharbouryRavenAliyavanaKaspyTyharCerboltJierdanit 35 votes
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are caught using a vampirism ability, then yes. If you are caught in werewolf form, then yes. If you are caught using necromancy, then yes.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    If you are caught using a vampirism ability, then yes. If you are caught in werewolf form, then yes. If you are caught using necromancy, then yes.

That's about what I thought. I can see a lot of people not liking the mechanic, but since its an old mechanic they might as well add it in its full capacity as it works in the mainline ES games?
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampires feeding on people is already a crime (and some times I've gotten a higher bounty from that than simply killing them with the Blade of Woe) and I thought being seen turning into a werewolf would give you a bounty too, like in previous TES games. But I don't have a werewolf myself so I'm not sure.

It could be like necromancy of course where some abilities are ok and others are not, for example maybe vampires could use Mist Form but not Drain Essence, since Mist Form doesn't actually involve attacking anyone.
    Edited by Danikat on May 13, 2019 7:36PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • 1mirg
    1mirg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vampires and Werewolves are already frowned upon and even outright hunted in Tamriel. Its so bad that If you even look or behave like a vampire or werewolf people will seek to kill you. So, yes. They most definitely should be illegal, especially Vamp Stage 4. It's already strange enough being a vampire while being hired to fight vampires while you are acting like you've never heard of them.
    ┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤ ⅽ[ː̠̈ː̠̈ː̠̈] ͌ ├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sure. Ill change my vote. Only if repeat thieves and murderers get a reputation system put in and get a bounty instantly soon as they walk into town after being recognized by green and yellow npcs without using the sewers. No matter if they ever got caught or not.
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Vampires feeding on people is already a crime (and some times I've gotten a higher bounty from that than simply killing them with the Blade of Woe) and I thought being seen turning into a werewolf would give you a bounty too, like in previous TES games. But I don't have a werewolf myself so I'm not sure.

It could be like necromancy of course where some abilities are ok and others are not, for example maybe vampires could use Mist Form but not Drain Essence, since Mist Form doesn't actually involve attacking anyone.

Guards ignore Werewolves as is. And I think Drain Essence gets a bounty because you're hurting someone rather than being tied to the actual vampirism?
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I told you this will happen.... I told you we will have discussions like this...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 13, 2019 7:42PM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it makes sense. I honestly think summoning your heckin sorc pets should be in there too. Cuz, y’know, they’re summoning Daedra.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • LapisLazuli99
    LapisLazuli99
    ✭✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »
    Sure. Ill change my vote. Only if repeat thieves and murderers get a reputation system put in and get a bounty instantly soon as they walk into town after being recognized by green and yellow npcs without using the sewers. No matter if they ever got caught or not.

I can't tell how serious you re but that could actually be fun XD Crime pays well in ESO and it would put an incentive to actually be good at it.
    Xbox One - NA
    GT - Lapis Lazuli 99

AD - Orc Dragonknight
    AD - Breton Sorcerer
    AD - High Elf Nightblade
    AD - High Elf Templar
    AD - Wood Elf Warden
    AD - Khajiit Necromancer
    AD - High Elf Arcanist
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkerKro wrote: »

I can't tell how serious you re but that could actually be fun XD Crime pays well in ESO and it would put an incentive to actually be good at it.

Very much so lol. Plus if it isn't nailed down im picking it it up, and out of pockets and corpses to get it fenced. I am beyond a kleptomaniac in the game. So far there hasnt been a home i havent trespassed nor a pocket or basket i picked clean. I get a bargin even on lint. But the rare occasions i get caught. It is meh. No thrill any more.
    Edited by StormeReigns on May 13, 2019 7:48PM
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it makes sense. I honestly think summoning your heckin sorc pets should be in there too. Cuz, y’know, they’re summoning Daedra.
    Except summoning Daedra in and of itself isn't illegal. People might not like it, but it's not unlawful in the way necromancy is, and isn't as heavily prejudiced against as being a Were/Vamp. Conjuration and Summoning are accepted Schools of magick, even tho in ESO's time period they aren't exactly established yet.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well using vampire skills, and getting caught feeding will get you a bounty already. Only one out of line is werewolf transformation.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best parts about EverQuest was (is) the faction system. Classes and races had natural affinity or hatred for those with opposing values. Necromancers were welcome in Troll or Ogre cities, but kill on sight in "good" cities. Clerics and Paladins were hated by Necros, and vice versa.... and some cities had righteous and evil sections, where if you went to the wrong part of town you got jumped, etc. And most quests, including the repeatables, would raise your faction standing with certain groups, and lower it with others, to the point where an evil character could be tolerated in good areas, and so forth.

In other words, you had a lot of control over how accepted or hated your character was. Of course, most ESO players would balk at such a complicated faction system, but it's a fantastic feature for role players
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they should do it how they did it in Dawnguard for SKyrim. I don't think many people think of vampires as much of a threat as say a fully transformed werewolf or vampire lord. So any Powerful Transformation ability like vampire lord or werewolf or necromancers illusion transformation ability would be something that would scare the people. People might not like vampires but they know they can be defeated and one vampire can't just end an entire village by attacking. One werewolf can end an entire village because its that powerful compared to a vampire who is typically stuck in just a humaniod form they are born with. Vampires can be dangerous yes and are hated, but werewolves are so dangerous and I think people would find them a bigger threat. For that very reason I think people in the cities might prefer having vampires nearby then a clan of werewolves. What I think they should do is give vampires a gargoyle transformation. Make that a crime, make transforming into a werewolf a crime too along with being a bone colosisis. I don't think they should make stage four vampirism a crime per say as well that could easily be covered up by a skin. Or helmet and it would break immersion if you were fully covered from head to two with no one knowing your a vampire or not. But yeah powerful transformation abilties should be a crime .
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 13, 2019 10:33PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well using vampire skills, and getting caught feeding will get you a bounty already. Only one out of line is werewolf transformation.

Use a werewolf skill on an NPC and you will get a bounty. Just walking around like a werewolf same as vampire nobody cares. I'm assuming the town folk think it is some kind of illusion and if you set out a hat they will give you coins.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would LOVE to see an update do this.

I would also like to see Vampires getting the same kind of love Werewolves did with the "Wolfhunter" DLC.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As people have said already, the SKILLS yes, just being a vamp, no.
    I don’t have any vamp characters only werewolf and I agree that using a ww skill (including the transformation) should incur a bounty when used in front of/on justice NPCs.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The illegal skill lines are annoying enough with Necromancers as it is. There's no reason to add further inconvenience to the game for the sake of "immersion" that will get old the day the changes are made.

Give Bosmer back it's stealth passives as per lore, then you can have "lore friendly" bounties for vampires and werewolves >_>
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • pknecron
    pknecron
    ✭✭✭
    This mechinic is stupid and Necromancer skills shouldn't be illegal to begin with.
    If they were to make WW illegal, then the ultimate needs to go and the skill needs to become a toggle. It already needs to be a toggle, but this kind of change would make it mandatory.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As recently been told, the Lore says they are Daedric creatures/converted mortals. The setting is Fantasy dictatorships (kings/Queens) and lots of supernatural stuff is considered to be evil at it's core.

The people of this setting would obviously not want these creatures in their towns.

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saying it for years...

...bloodsucking fiends and part-time furry beasts ought to be as illegal as corpsef... lovers. Meaning if they show their monstrous nature off under the eyes of the guard... they get "kill on sight" level heat.

Meaning any werewolf who transforms in town should get the guard after them with silver and steel.

Meaning any vampire who gets found out should get the guard after them with stake and torch.

For werewolves the mechanic is easy - seen transformed should give the bounty. Stay in human form, and no sweat.

For vampires... well, they -do- look a little sickly even if well fed, and at later stages... like walking corpses. So I say, they ought to have a "detection chance" for anyone, 20% at stage 1, 40% at stagge 2, 80% at stage 3 and automatic at stage four... and anyone who spots their nature, will yell for the guard and give them the bounty.
    And then... they need a "masquerade" skill as toggle to balance, that allows them to lower their vampirism visual effects and detection chance by one stage (meaning at stage 1 they would lower it to stage 0, and look completely mortal with no detection chance whatsoever - JUST like count ravenwatch did when we first met him, remember?)

And that is what I think about those and the justice system.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay here is how I see this. Maybe all classes could get a skill that would be illegal to use. Vampires as they are not nearly as dangerous as werewolves well they are dangeorus just not to an entire city full of people maybe some of them. Given if they can control it or cover it up. They shouldn't be given a bounty for stage four. Now bat swarm is not normal. Mist form I think most would mistake that for say some mage power. drain essense could be mistaken for some mage ability. Anything that can be dangerous and cause harm to nearby people should be a crime. Templars Sun ultimate just one example.
    So what could be made crimes are the following.
    Storm Attronach
    Bat Swarm
    Werewolf Transformation
    Nova
    Shadow Cloak
    Aspect of Terror
    Soul Shred
    Daedric Mines
    Frozen Gate
    Sleet Storm
    Swarm
    Ash Cloud
    Inferno
    Bear While seen by bankers or seen by Crafting npcs in crafting areas.
    Twilight while seen by bankers or Crafting Area Npcs
    Scamp While seen by bankers or crafting area npcs.
    This is because of how annoying they can be. But also limiting it to being seen by these npcs so players don't have to worry about despawning them everytime they go to a wayshrine or city. But When in certain areas where there are crafting stations they would be reminded they have to put their pets away.
    Basically anything that could be dangerous. Not effecting you but other people that causes damage or puts peoples lives in great risk. Shadow Cloak not because its dangerous but because of how it could be used for crime. Daedric Mines because if they go off they could kil someone. Swarm because bugs summoned might stick around and cause problems. Ash Cloud because maybe it can choke and burn nearby innocents. Sleet Storm because the area of effect could cause harm to people. Bat swarm because that isn't natural and well because of the area of effect and the bats could attack nearby civilions. Werewolf transformation because just one werewolf could tear apart entire villeges and kill many of the people within them. Soul Shred because it is a form of necromancy and your directly messing with souls, Aspect of Terror because its also a form of necromancy. Nova because of the harm it could do. Inferno because you could potentially burn down a building.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 14, 2019 9:42AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay here is how I see this. Maybe all classes could get a skill that would be illegal to use. Vampires as they are not nearly as dangerous as werewolves well they are dangeorus just not to an entire city full of people maybe some of them. Given if they can control it or cover it up. They shouldn't be given a bounty for stage four.

That logic is inconsistent.
    If a vampire shouldn't be given a bounty for Stage 4, then a werewolf shouldn't be given a bounty just for transforming.
    Nobody gets hurt in the process of a transformation.

Just like a vampire simply standing around being at Stage 4 isn't causing anyone any harm, a werewolf doesn't cause harm simply by transforming. So if you don't believe a vampire should earn a bounty for being at Stage 4, then a werewolf shouldn't be given a bounty just for the act of transforming.

Both already receive bounties if they feed on or attack innocents.

I do agree, in order to be consistent across the board, that if a necromancer is going to be penalized for raising the dead within town limits, then both vampires and werewolves should get a bounty for either entering town at Stage 4 or transforming in town.

Otherwise, nobody should get a bounty if they aren't actually harming innocent folk.

Edited by bearbelly on May 14, 2019 10:37AM
  • Van_Winkle
    Van_Winkle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh God, again this nonsense... Justice system must help players, not suppress them!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sure, give bounty from rising the dead, devouring corpses, sucking blood from people, bringing summoned daedra and beasts to city, dueling, casting dangerous spells, having drawn out weapons, public nudity and using foul language in chat.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Van_Winkle wrote: »
    Oh God, again this nonsense... Justice system must help players, not suppress them!
    Wrong.
    Justice system must help make the game more interesting!
    Not "help the player", that would be add-ons.

For crime gameplay, justice system -must- suppress those who get caught, otherwise there would not be a sense of danger for getting caught doing crime (not that its much of one, but... that is why I always want... better justice, more justice... Great Justice! ;) )

And many believe it -would- be more interesting if vampires or werewolves had more of a "monster in disguise" feel Like The Classic Stories; instead of "just a player with an extra skill line" feel like they are now. If they too had to take care, just like necromancers will have to, not to show their "bad side" around town...

Others disagree because they just want to play without any drawbacks (and I remember them whining when the justice system was refitted, demanding they get to opt out of it so they can still steal everything and crying how the whole economy would collapse if they could no longer steal all those provisioning ingredients and so on...).
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bearbelly wrote: »
    Okay here is how I see this. Maybe all classes could get a skill that would be illegal to use. Vampires as they are not nearly as dangerous as werewolves well they are dangeorus just not to an entire city full of people maybe some of them. Given if they can control it or cover it up. They shouldn't be given a bounty for stage four.

That logic is inconsistent.
    If a vampire shouldn't be given a bounty for Stage 4, then a werewolf shouldn't be given a bounty just for transforming.
    Nobody gets hurt in the process of a transformation.

Just like a vampire simply standing around being at Stage 4 isn't causing anyone any harm, a werewolf doesn't cause harm simply by transforming. So if you don't believe a vampire should earn a bounty for being at Stage 4, then a werewolf shouldn't be given a bounty just for the act of transforming.

Both already receive bounties if they feed on or attack innocents.

I do agree, in order to be consistent across the board, that if a necromancer is going to be penalized for raising the dead within town limits, then both vampires and werewolves should get a bounty for either entering town at Stage 4 or transforming in town.

Otherwise, nobody should get a bounty if they aren't actually harming innocent folk.

As you well know, in previous elder scrolls games, you would receive a bounty if you transformed in front of non-enemy npcs as lycanthropy was considered evil.

vampirism was much the same until Dawnguard where they changed that to you getting attacked for going vampire lord in front of friendly npcs.

it really should be something that comes back
    Edited by Matthew_Galvanus on May 14, 2019 11:18AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theyre curses, and the common folk of Tamriel dont take kindly to those.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ParchedDisastrousFireant-small.gif
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • mann9753b16_ESO
    mann9753b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Werewolf player, I disagree.

Werewolf as it is now should NOT be a criminal act.

Dont get me wrong, I like the basic idea, but as long as werewolf form is as limited as it is and costs 300 ultimate to cast, players shouldnt be forced out of it when they run past guards or cities.

Reduce the Cost to like 150 and I am fine with having to abort my werewolf form to walk through cities, but as expensive as it is right now? No.