The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

We need an NPC/Player name tag addon

• Grayphilosophy
    Grayphilosophy
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I understand, it's not so much necessarily a question of immersion only. It's an intended inconvenience. Key Word intended. True to the previous line of elder scrolls games, this one is designed to be challenging, not everything is meant to be easy and convenient.

There are no nametags because you're supposed to be observant. Crafting nodes and chests don't sparkle and light up because you're supposed to be observant. supposed to be observant.

Furthermore, a feature like nametags (I didn't check previous replies to see if it's already been mentioned) will introduce a significant disadvantage to anyone that doesn't have it enabled in PvP. Since the lack thereof allows for actual utilization of the player's line of sight instead of just "blocking the game mechanic's line of sight."

Nametags aren't necessary, they're just convenient. Which is exactly why they aren't there.
  • Acuvis
    Acuvis
    Soul Shriven
    NOT OK with nameplates! It ruins the whole game and realism out of it ... The game is made to close the virtual world as much as the real ... If you will be implementing these nameplates will ruin everything you tried to do before. Players who are confused because of this would need to stop complaining and adapt, and those who can not adapt means that are just noobs! And with that I said it.
  • Acuvis
    Acuvis
    Soul Shriven
    Cmdrofblue wrote: »
    Nameplates ARE a MUST for me to pay for this game monthly; way too much confusion without them, and the paying customer should decide if they would like this option. THE REASON THIS IS EVEN AN ISSUE is due to the CROSS-PLATFORM portability for Xbox system where nameplates create clutter and lessen the feel of an XBox style game. This does make sense considering the single-player games XBox mainly focuses on. However, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE for PC USERS in my opinion. That's my two cents. Other games have started out with the XBox concept and ended up caving to PC users or suffer the financial consequences. DEVELOPERS: need to learn from prior lessons learned.
    I do not agree with you ... if they implement nameplates ... and begin to shape the game just because people do not intend to adjust, I quit the game after the 3 months already paid!
  • Acuvis
    Acuvis
    Soul Shriven
    They could make them toggleable so you can just disable them if they displease you. Don't see the problem.

The problem is realism mate and will ruin the PVP
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Acuvis wrote: »
    They could make them toggleable so you can just disable them if they displease you. Don't see the problem.

The problem is realism mate and will ruin the PVP

again... dont allow them in pvp. simple.
  • Xoxaan
    Xoxaan
    No, I don't agree at all. Do you need nameplates for NPCs in a single player game? No. I've had no problem differentiating between NPCs and PCs. All NPCs have collision detection set on them, that alone is enough. Having nameplates will only break the immersion of the world. To make it worse, most people give themselves idiotic names, and I love that I don't have to see them in game unless I hover my mouse over them.

As for not being able to see what guilds people are in. You can be in 5 guilds in this game. 5 guilds. Do you have any idea how big the nameplates in ESO would be? Name/Title/Guild1/Guild2/Guild3/Guild4/Guild5. No thanks.

For PVP, the colored markers above players' heads is more than enough to separate this alliance from that. Making nameplates optional will give an unfair advantage in PVP to those who turn them on, that's why they can't make it can option.

ESO's setup is all about a new clean UI, and I love it. It was the first thing I noticed in beta and I was thrilled. Those of you complaining about this are just going through the throes of change because most of us are used to nameplates in MMOs. You will get used to the change and you'll adapt.
    Edited by Xoxaan on April 9, 2014 4:06PM
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Xoxaan wrote: »
    No, I don't agree at all. Do you need nameplates for NPCs in a single player game? No. I've had no problem differentiating between NPCs and PCs. All NPCs have collision detection set on them, that alone is enough. Having nameplates will only break the immersion of the world. To make it worse, most people give themselves idiotic names, and I love that I don't have to see them in game unless I hover my mouse over them.

As for not being able to see what guilds people are in. You can be in 5 guilds in this game. 5 guilds. Do you have any idea how big the nameplates in ESO would be? Name/Title/Guild1/Guild2/Guild3/Guild4/Guild5. No thanks.

For PVP, the colored markers above players' heads is more than enough to separate this alliance from that. Making nameplates optional will give an unfair advantage in PVP to those who turn them on, that's why they can't make it can option.

ESO's setup is all about a new clean UI, and I love it. It was the first thing I noticed in beta and I was thrilled. Those of you complaining about this are just going through the throes of change because most of us are used to nameplates in MMOs. You will get used to the change and you'll adapt.

option. 'nuff said
  • torstenb16_ESO8
    there are addon ons, where you can see statistic/names in the chat window, also xp and damage statistics,no name plates needed.that will ruin the game.
  • Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
    Best workaround addon for nameplates i've found is Rainbow Reticle.
    Edited by Vantor on April 15, 2014 1:26PM
    Invictus EU Guild Officer
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Vantor wrote: »
    Best workaround addon for nameplates i've found is Rainbow Reticle.

not a good substitute