The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

We need an NPC/Player name tag addon

• leewells
    leewells
    ✭✭✭
    Being as ESOhead and ESOHead markers is causing a ton of stuttering when a UI element changes, I'm going to assume they haven't worked out the GUI issues for nameplates yet.
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    just make it an option.....
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    @leewells‌ : Did you update the ESOHead addon after the patch?
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Seerah wrote: »
    @leewells‌ : Did you update the ESOHead addon after the patch?
    for?

• thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be able to see names of NPCs and players, without hovering my mouse over them. Forget immersion.. this is a game and its frustrating without it

Forget name tags.. I want huge big arrows pointing to where the git has gone.. every time I turn around he's run off down some gully, it's worse than having a dog sometimes the people i group with!

• thilog
    thilog
    ✭✭✭
    No player names please, that will destroy pvp. You cant hide and sneak because enemies will see you from a far distance like in gw2 where you will see behind everything, and then game will end in a rushed gameplay and and not sneaking around and hiding,hiding is senseless then an will make no sense anymore.I will stopp playing eso then. Even not in an add on. I agree with to have buffs and a mini map, but pleae please no names.Turning on and off names will end that enemy players will see me every where.

Well doh.. you make the name tags for your own side only... did you seriously think someone would suggest that we can see the enemies name tags.. oh obviously.. just like english isn't you first language.

Oh.. and if the stopped playing eso, because you like to hide... no loss to eso.
    Edited by thilog on April 7, 2014 3:33PM
  • leewells
    leewells
    ✭✭✭
    @Seerah Minion claimed it was up-to-date.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it was optional, I don't see any downside to having it. The other name-related thing I'd really like is the ability to toggle whether chat is userID or character.
  • BackseatSuperstar
    i would like to see an option that would allow folks to turn on their nametags, but only their nametags. this way if you want others to see it you'll just click yes to have your nametag turned on and move on. but for folks like me, who don't want to be pestered all the time i would just not turn mine on and that's that.
  • kelisw1ub17_ESO
    Gumakk wrote: »
    Nonsense. I realy dont want to screw my game by looking at "Justin Bieber" and " Iwillpwnyouallfckers" around me... This game is awesome as it is. No need to see nicknames. You want social life in game? Go to Raidcall/Teamspeak/Ventrilo whatever with your friends and COMUNICATE than. I have many new friends since early acess starts. And its becouse of my game experience with em not becouse of nameplate over theyre had...

Then you could keep them off or not download the add-on! Easy!
  • kelisw1ub17_ESO
    No player names please, that will destroy pvp. You cant hide and sneak because enemies will see you from a far distance like in gw2 where you will see behind everything, and then game will end in a rushed gameplay and and not sneaking around and hiding,hiding is senseless then an will make no sense anymore.I will stopp playing eso then. Even not in an add on. I agree with to have buffs and a mini map, but pleae please no names.Turning on and off names will end that enemy players will see me every where.
    How about you can't see enemy names? No enemy nameplates show in pvp - seems like an easy compromise.
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    I disagree, unless it is made a toggle option.

I'm here to play ESO, not read your screwed up attempts at humor during the naming game.

& to
    Cmdrofblue wrote: »
    Nameplates ARE a MUST for me to pay for this game monthly; way too much confusion without them, and the paying customer should decide if they would like this option. THE REASON THIS IS EVEN AN ISSUE is due to the CROSS-PLATFORM portability for Xbox system where nameplates create clutter and lessen the feel of an XBox style game. This does make sense considering the single-player games XBox mainly focuses on. However, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE for PC USERS in my opinion. That's my two cents. Other games have started out with the XBox concept and ended up caving to PC users or suffer the financial consequences. DEVELOPERS: need to learn from prior lessons learned.

I ...I don't know if you're trolling or just that Naive.
    Edited by Jim_McMasterub17_ESO on April 7, 2014 6:39PM
  • Granz
    Granz
    ✭✭
    This doesn't need a be a add-on they can just turn this option back on. It is mistake not having this. It kills the immersion of the community by not having this. That is as important as game immersion.
    Edited by Granz on April 8, 2014 12:14AM
  • lypheb16_ESO
    I'd love an addon (or) option to turn on nameplates for vendors and/or players. Might not always use it - but I'd love the option.

Edit, actually I'm not sure I'd want full on nameplates everywhere since I see that in other games already. But ... some kind of indicator for vendors at least. It can even be immersive in some way.
    Edited by lypheb16_ESO on April 8, 2014 1:44AM
  • Vampiresbane
    Vampiresbane
    ✭✭
    No player names please, that will destroy pvp. You cant hide and sneak because enemies will see you from a far distance like in gw2 where you will see behind everything.

What if the nameplates disappeared when the player stealths? Seems sensible to me.

At any rate, I'd like to see nameplates myself. Consider me /signed for this idea.

• vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    here's the deal... they have to cave sooner or later. While they may have their "vision" of how the game should be played, if the community calls for it and becomes frustrated and quits, well...... there goes the game
  • Mara_Jade
    Mara_Jade
    Not sure I would use nameplates if they were available but I am of the opinion if it fits certain criteria why not make it available to those that want it via an add-on or in the base UI. I agree that they should be auto disabled for PvP. Some type of guild ID would be nice but can also see it being difficult to implement with people allowed to be part of 5 guilds.

The criteria being (which goes for almost anything):
    1. Will me not having it do something I have no ability what so ever of doing on my own (i.e. distinct player advantage)? Here I can see someone's name if I put my cursor over them so no issue. (Although some might put buffs and debuffs in this category, I don't. That is data available in the base programming that ZOS has chosen not to show in the base UI, which I can respect, but it should be moddable/optional. But that is a different discussion.)
    2. Must be optional if in the base UI. I like to play the game the way I want and respect that you want to play the game the way you want.
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Mara_Jade wrote: »
    Not sure I would use nameplates if they were available but I am of the opinion if it fits certain criteria why not make it available to those that want it via an add-on or in the base UI. I agree that they should be auto disabled for PvP. Some type of guild ID would be nice but can also see it being difficult to implement with people allowed to be part of 5 guilds.

The criteria being (which goes for almost anything):
    1. Will me not having it do something I have no ability what so ever of doing on my own (i.e. distinct player advantage)? Here I can see someone's name if I put my cursor over them so no issue. (Although some might put buffs and debuffs in this category, I don't. That is data available in the base programming that ZOS has chosen not to show in the base UI, which I can respect, but it should be moddable/optional. But that is a different discussion.)
    2. Must be optional if in the base UI. I like to play the game the way I want and respect that you want to play the game the way you want.

100% agree
  • BackseatSuperstar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this be more like "I want the option to display my name to others"? I mean, if it's my name badge you want to see, shouldn't it be up to me to display it or not?
    Also, the idea that they would only be visible to your side would be inconvenient in pvp as well. it would take away from the possibility of infiltration tactics being used since no name would mean its a bad guy not just someone being antisocial.
    Granted, my pvp experience in this game is not existent, but I do have it for other games and noticing enemy names always took something away. Elder scroll games alway felt like a fps type of game not rpg. It wasn't always easy to know if the npc/pc moving in the distance was friendly or not and that was exiting, but you want to dumb this down and have arrows pointing declaring me friend or foe and that's just... well, weak.
    In the end I thing it would be easier to have the option to select who, if anyone, you want your name badge visible to. Maybe something like "Me", "Friends", "Guild", "Alliance", "Eveyone".
    This way those who wanted to be easily identified, would be.
    Screw it, going brain dead.

Ps. Just because this is an mmo it doesn't mean you have to be a social bug to enjoy playing it
  • Ioana
    Ioana
    Soul Shriven
    Nameplates and guild tags are needed... If you are in a group you get a triangle that you can see forever. Name tags would just be localized. Enemies from other alliances can not see your name tag, only allies. This is an easy way to help promote social aspects of the game.
    M. If you don't know, you will soon.
  • fewchurprob14_ESO
    fewchurprob14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I want to be able to see names of NPCs and players, without hovering my mouse over them. Forget immersion.. this is a game and its frustrating without it
    I agree, have the option to turn on and off. AND differentiate npcs from players, nothing like running up to whack something and it turns out its a player. And although I'm not in a guild, there should be something to tell, even the ancient Romans had a way to tell who was who.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How about we let this game be an elder scrolls game (which has no nameplates) and not WoW clone #369 that you will abandon after 1 month anyways. If it turns you off you are the minority.
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭

How about we let this game be an elder scrolls game (which has no nameplates) and not WoW clone #369 that you will abandon after 1 month anyways. If it turns you off you are the minority.

AGAIN.... have the O.P.T.I.O.N
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An option would make the game imbalanced between those who use (and have an advantage say in pvp) and those who dont. That will force players who hate it then to have to use it. You see why it shouldnt be allowed now?
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodsip wrote: »
    This isn't a must and the game is really better because it doesn't have any. This should have been a toggle, however.

Fixed that for you, free of charge, too.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Darka
    Darka
    ✭✭
    How about you can't see enemy names? No enemy nameplates show in pvp - seems like an easy compromise.

Not for the all or nothing crowd to ruin it
    The Defender Gaming Community Est 2006
    Juganoth - Late Night Gaming on Ebon Heart Pact/Wabbajack
    Social Guild of Older Gamers
    "To Those who walked before us
    You made us what we are
    To Those who come after us
    Let us give as good as we got."
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭

An option would make the game imbalanced between those who use (and have an advantage say in pvp) and those who dont. That will force players who hate it then to have to use it. You see why it shouldnt be allowed now?

then you dont allow it to be enabled in PVP. Now you see why it should be allowed?
  • Hudine
    Hudine
    I agree it's annoying not knowing the name of the person standing next to you
  • jwetze1ub17_ESO
    jwetze1ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    In regards to nameplates in PVP. How would this be any different then what can be done currently. I have Health Bars for enemies set so they are always on. This identifies friend from foe quite nicely. And it doesn't show if they are in stealth. Why couldn't nameplates be setup the same way?